News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Misleading Box Art/Game Titles (Good and Bad)  (Read 9049 times)

SleepyFist

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
Misleading Box Art/Game Titles (Good and Bad)
« on: November 19, 2015, 03:30:38 pm »
Have you ever personally been influenced to either buy a terrible game because of amazing box art?
Or have refrained from picking up a great game because its cover looked hideous?

I bought the terrible Unlimited SaGa(PS2), and Deadly Arts(N64) based on awesome box art but almost passed up Maximo: Ghosts to Glory and Beyond Good and Evil based on theirs.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 08:37:57 pm by SleepyFist »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: Misleading Box Art/Game Titles (Good and Bad)
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 06:52:52 pm »
I passed on The Guardian Legend for some time because the art on the cartridge says absolutely nothing and therefore gives you no indication of what type of game that it might be.

I also remember thinking that Bill Laimbeer's Combat Basketball sounded awesome. Then I played it and was incredibly pissed by LAIM it was (HA, see what I did there?). After a long streak of getting burned by games that were the ultimate in suckage it became really difficult for me to convince myself to buy any more games that I didn't already know quite a bit about. I was sick of being ripped off by game carts that would have been worth more had they been filled with AIDS.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 06:53:31 pm »
Galleries of terrible box art exist in abundance.

Curious that you would cite Unlimited Saga; its box art doesn't seem particularly distinguished at all.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unlimited_Saga
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 07:39:01 pm »
this should accompany some pics:
Unlimited SaGa
Spoiler:

Deadly Arts
Spoiler:
Yeah if it has good anime character designs on the cover, I would suckeredly bought it. But based on the reviews, I guess it had only good on it is the music.

Guardian Legend US, EU, and JP, respectively
Spoiler:

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 08:03:21 pm »
Wow. I would have def bought GL if it had the JP art. Looks badass. Almost has an H.R. Giger flair to it (just add in a dick somewhere LOL - those familiar with his style will understand...). Even the PAL version tells more than those stupid, likely totally irrenelvant eyes of the US version. Looking at that I never would have guessed that the game plays like Zelda 1 alternating with verticle shooter segments.

I like that Unlimited SaGa cover. It's cute/pretty. :P

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 08:29:41 pm »
Wow. I would have def bought GL if it had the JP art. Looks badass. Almost has an H.R. Giger flair to it (just add in a dick somewhere LOL - those familiar with his style will understand...). Even the PAL version tells more than those stupid, likely totally irrenelvant eyes of the US version. Looking at that I never would have guessed that the game plays like Zelda 1 alternating with verticle shooter segments.
Probably the same, I haven't even heard of Guardian Legend before but if I saw the EU or JP boxart I wouldve bought it in a heartbeat, If I was confronted by the US art though, id probably pass unless id done my research beforehand.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 08:39:05 pm by SleepyFist »

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 08:46:40 pm »
Not since the late 90s because I would either read about the game in a magazine or look it up on the internet from then on, but I remember not getting Strider for the MD as a kid because of its EU box art. It also happens to have great JP box art.

EU:
Spoiler:
JP:
Spoiler:
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Sliver X

• der Wille zur Macht
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 10:27:06 pm »
Basically any Atari 2600 game would be a candidate for this.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 11:57:34 pm »
I've never been one to judge a book by its cover, and that goes for games too.

Even before I started buying games, I had a subscription to Electronic Gaming Monthly. The Review Crew was actually super helpful to me in determining if a game was any good or not.

Though I have to say that I expected Wolverine for the NES to be a lot better than it ended up being, simply because I had grown up reading my dad's X-Men comics and thought it would make a great game. Seriously, how does somebody screw up a Wolverine game, LJN???
Yamero~~!

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 01:24:17 am »

Any western Sega Master System too (and most Genesis).

Westerners are really bad at designing covers.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 01:47:25 am »
Not even that misleading, but absolutely hideous. http://i.imgur.com/06FYvxu.png

What the hell is wrong with Rolf's face?
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2015, 02:30:41 am »
Not since the late 90s because I would either read about the game in a magazine or look it up on the internet from then on, but I remember not getting Strider for the MD as a kid because of its EU box art. It also happens to have great JP box art.

That EU cover is so lame it's almost cool. LOL

Oh man. Fuck the 2600. Every game has a cool cover and the games are shit. That system probably has the highest turd ratio of any ever created. I'm guessing they let anything be released on that system. IMO the Intellivision kills any Atari system.

Having said that, Kaboom, Super Break-Out and Berzerk were the shit.

----------------------------------------------------------

I think the main problem with a lot of western game covers is the same as with anime. When someone imports it they try to do so as cheaply as possible. They probably aren't given a lot of money to accomplish what they need to do, so the box art looks cheap just as the voice acting in a lot of anime is cringe-inducing if you are familiar with how a person actual talks and emphasizes emotion. They just couldn't afford to do any better and when placed next to original version where the developers had a much bigger budget, odds are they will look/sound very poor in comparison.

Of course... When making one of these "on the cheap covers", having a cover image that tells you nothing about the game is just stupid. it's no wonder that The Guardian Legend was so overlooked.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2015, 12:09:42 pm »
Well check this out, I freaking love Mischief Makers to bits, but heres the NA cover

Child me saw this and thought it was a game about football for some reason, so yeah.

And here's the JP art that I just discovered recently.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2015, 12:54:16 pm »
I disagree that the 2600 qualifies here. You knerw what you were getting into. Nobody was misled by the cover art.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2015, 06:16:34 pm »

That EU boxart makes me think of some buff, german body builder running saying "I'm dah Strider, yahh. Ah'm goin too cutchu up with hein sword!

Strider: The Movie. Coming to a theatre near you.  ;D
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2015, 07:54:03 pm »
That EU boxart makes me think of some buff, german body builder running saying "I'm dah Strider, yahh. Ah'm goin too cutchu up with hein sword!

Strider: The Movie. Coming to a theatre near you.  ;D

Arnold Schwarzenegger playing Strider Hiryu...?

You know I'm so tired right now that it actually sounds like my kinda flick!
Yamero~~!

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2015, 08:11:15 pm »
Arnold Schwarzenegger playing Strider Hiryu...?

You know I'm so tired right now that it actually sounds like my kinda flick!

The guy on the box kinda looks like James Van Der Beek to me. No idea who I'd want to play him though.

For some reason the guy on the JP box makes me think he would be cool as a young Hiroyuki Sanada. Thinking of him makes me want to watch Legend of the Eight Samurai or Samurai Reincarnation. Can't get enough of those two.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2015, 09:18:28 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 11:48:40 am by Chpexo »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2015, 11:46:14 pm »
Oh yeah. Phalanx!

I def remember passing that one up because all I could think was "WTF?" when I saw it. Part of me wanted to get it just because it was funny (just like Exhibit A, which I almost bought because of how stupid it looked) but at that point I had already been burned so many times I wasn't willing to take any chances.

Exhibit A:
Spoiler:

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2015, 12:01:02 am »
It's not misleading, per se, but I always hated this as a kid:

1) mega Man doesn't use a pistol. The gun is his arm.

2) that's clearly Dr. Light and not Wily sicking the bad guys against Mega Man.

3) none of those guys look like robots or even cyborgs. They're clearly dudes in leotards.

4) Mega Man might even be a woman. I have to double-take every time because I swear I see a boob on that torso.

and finally,
5) Bubble Man, Air Man, Quick Man, Heat Man, Wood Man, Metal Man, Flash Man, Crash Man... which one of those guys do they think has a drill arm?!
It's like they didn't even consider playing the game...

Retracted. I'm an idiot.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 12:34:40 am by chillyfeez »
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo