News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final fantasy vii new remake footage from kotaku!  (Read 7974 times)

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Final fantasy vii new remake footage from kotaku!
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2015, 02:14:15 pm »
If that was aimed at me then I am not opposed at all to a FF7 remake, I am looking forward more to the 12 remake/remaster/HD port/whatever that ends up being but 7 being remade and slightly upgraded in the process is no bad thing. It is anything but a day one purchase though, probably if I see it going second hand a few years down the line, be it to see the trainwreck first hand or kill some time.

"They should make a Madden game where there are exploding footballs and magic attacks. Crazy shit like that. "
There is blood bowl, though I suppose being turn based (if on a timer) probably discounts that one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxvrJ5xO_qw

dougeff

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2015, 03:50:26 pm »
I was so disappointed by Crisis Core (PSP) that I have very low expectations for the FF7 remake.

I may just glance at a "let's play" rather than buy it.

If they kept everything the same, but just improved the graphics, maybe I'd be interested, but I know Square-Enix, they're gonna add some girly singing competition and a 1000 side-quests / beast-hunts ... bull crap. No thanks.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 03:56:57 pm by dougeff »
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Super Famicom Game List A-C + SNES Game List
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2015, 05:55:25 pm »
I was so disappointed by Crisis Core (PSP) that I have very low expectations for the FF7 remake.

Crisis Core wasn't that bad, though the battle system could've been some-what better honestly.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2015, 06:15:42 pm »
There is blood bowl, though I suppose being turn based (if on a timer) probably discounts that one

Wow. A Games Workshop football game. I never would have expected that in a million years. I thought they only made Warhammer games.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

dougeff

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2015, 06:50:27 pm »
Did you know that you can beat the original FF7 without leveling at all...you can run from every single optional fight,  and beat the game, no problem. I think only 1 boss on the second disk gives you any real challenge. Why did people waste so much time getting master level materia?

Maybe they should have made it harder.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

tvtoon

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2015, 06:57:13 pm »
If they kept everything the same, but just improved the graphics, maybe I'd be interested, but I know Square-Enix, they're gonna add some girly singing competition and a 1000 side-quests / beast-hunts ... bull crap. No thanks.
Let's be fair here, you are talking about a game with tons of useless plot advancement situations, like both dating sims (Corneo and Cloud), and skyboarding down the hill. If anything, I think they will strip a lot of that...

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2015, 07:14:36 pm »
I still say it looks awesome. There's a certain verisimilitude to everything, but they kept the original positioning and layouts of the games walkable environments. Biggs and Jessie are opening the door. The guard scorpion attacks Barrett and Cloud in front of the reactor. Biggs takes down a soldier. Jessie kicks one. Cloud flips down from the train and Barrett says "Alright rookie. Let's move."

They're trying, clearly, to be as faithful to the original as would be appropriate. I think it's gonna be a blast to play.
Yamero~~!

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2015, 07:39:48 pm »
They're trying, clearly, to be as faithful to the original as would be appropriate. I think it's gonna be a blast to play.

It would be cool to hear the revamped score. While I probably only enjoy maybe a 1/4 of the tracks (outside of the game), the ones I liked still kick major ass.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2015, 04:34:45 am »
but you cannot let this go unbought after 10 years of begging for it.
Back then I always said that a FF7 remake would be a terrible idea and that people begging for it would rather spend that time and energy to play the original. A FF7 on GBA would have been an interesting technological challenge (probably not technically possible but who knowns), but anything else would not have grasped my interest.

+1 for a reference to the greatest movie, like, ever.  Man.
Oh sorry I had no idea that this was a movie reference. I couldn't possibly guess.

Probably because of the pacing and the fact that the amount of turn-based RPGs out there to action-RPGs has to be something like 100/1 (if not worse).
Are you certain about that ratio ? I'd bet it was the opposite. Action-RPGs have the Zelda series, the Mana series, Tales of Phantasia, all the MMORPGs out there (which I never palyed) and so much more. Trun-Based RPGs there's Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy, Golden Sun, and that's pretty much it with some more obscure titles that not many people played such as Grandia and Suikoden.

In any case, just play the genres you like and stay away from genres you don't like but let people who like them do so. I personally loathe the first person shooter genre, yet I don't claim that they remake Halo as a turn based RPG or anything.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2015, 09:39:08 am »
yet I don't claim that they remake Halo as a turn based RPG or anything.
Sure Nanjing hasn't turned that into a crappy Famicom bootleg RPG yet? They've done everything else ;D
(even The Minish Cap)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2015, 01:52:14 pm »
I've read this will be sold by episodes. Not a great idea for an RPG, if you ask me...

I like the original game (Although it wouldn't make a Top 5 favourite FF in my list. Not even top 10 if I can include spin-offs, lol), but after all the "subproducts" made around FFVII, I'm kind of "emotionally divorced" from this game. It has been retconed/changed too much for me to care.

What it's shown doesn't seem bad by itself though, (although the goofy designs kind of stand out with the "realistic" look of this game, but that never stopped things like Dirge of Cerberus), but we'll see how this thing ends.

I fear more changes and additions, though. Yet i'm kind of curious about how are they going to do the "Cloud as a woman" or "Cloud having a bath surrounded by male bodybuilders" things with all these flashy graphics. There's no more blocky polygons and simple textures to help.

I mean...

...Yeah.

In any case, just play the genres you like and stay away from genres you don't like but let people who like them do so. I personally loathe the first person shooter genre, yet I don't claim that they remake Halo as a turn based RPG or anything.

Even then I think you owe yourself to try different genres from time to time. You may find something you end up enjoying, and sometimes is good to "give a rest" to the genres you play the most.
I'm off for some time. If for some weird, strange, and important reason, you need to talk to me, just send me a PM and probably I'll read it whenever I come back.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2015, 02:41:44 pm »
Are you certain about that ratio ? I'd bet it was the opposite.

Well, my exact figure was perhaps an exaggeration. Either way, I KNOW there are more turn-based RPGs because evey time I look up list of all of the RPGs on whatever system I'm interested in at the time there are always WAY more turn-based games. I always find that disappointing because I know I'll just be selecting "FIGHT" or "ATTACK" most of the time. Turn-based battles tend to be very one-dimensional (like taking a multiple choice test rather than fighting) but there are some games that get it right. Just not as many as I'd like.

I think I've played too many turn-based RPGs for a while. I find the immediate gratification of action to be much more satisfying and refreshing. Skill and tactics is more fun that just tactics.

Oh and I too am not real crazy about FPSs. Except for Turok Rage Wars.