News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: JUMP - a large SMW collab lead by worldpeace125  (Read 4155 times)

aterraformer

• View Profile
JUMP - a large SMW collab lead by worldpeace125
« on: November 17, 2015, 01:55:47 am »
It's finally here!

This hack started as a small collab lead by me to be mostly vanilla with modern ASM technologies, very inspired by the original VIPs.  It later expanded to much larger proportions and was headed by worldpeace125 (Cool|Cruel, winner of the 8th Annual VLDC).  Some levels still retain the original feel, many others have embraced more chocolate aspects.

Features:
-Intricate dragon coin reward system
-Dragon coins save upon collection
-Hint movies for more cryptic secrets
-Overworld pause menu with level information
-Multiple checkpoints for longer levels
-Retry system for the harder levels
-Wonderful music by worldpeace

If you plan on let's playing/streaming/speedrunning(Kappa)/etc please let me know so we can watch!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 04:56:35 pm by aterraformer »

CM30

• View Profile
    • Gaming Reinvented (in beta testing)
Re: JUMP - a large SMW collab lead by worldpeace125
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 03:09:40 am »
Well, nice to see this game is finished. Maybe I'll try it, even though I suspect the later levels will far too difficult for me to complete.
Like Wario?  If so, check out Wario Forums today!

Similarly, want to test a new gaming site?  Check out Gaming Reinvented! Now in beta!

Tenkarider

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 12:57:00 pm »
Ok, that's interesting... is it hard like Cool|Cruel?
Would you provide some extra info, please?  ;)

aterraformer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 06:06:01 pm »
Ok, that's interesting... is it hard like Cool|Cruel?
Would you provide some extra info, please?  ;)
Oh no, certainly not that hard.  There are a few levels near the end that come close but they aren't required and have measures in place to make them more lenient.  The general difficulty is kind of scattered, but that's the nature of a collab hack.  Some levels are rather easy but that's mostly world one.  The rest, well the easiest comparison would be the VIP series or maybe A Super Mario Thing if you are familiar.  I'd like to put it in more general terms but I'm not sure!  It's tricky but there are plenty life farming, saving and checkpoints to keep you going.

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 12:53:26 am »
So far, I've cleared 55 goals (all of the first three worlds, plus world four up to "Spike Toss" and "Swim With the Stars"). The BTTF level is interesting, yet difficult. Haven't cleared any Star World or Extra World levels yet.

CM30

• View Profile
    • Gaming Reinvented (in beta testing)
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 02:42:00 pm »
Well, I've played a bit of it.  Game seems decent enough, though the difficulty level is somewhat schizophrenic, with the tutorial being harder than the first couple of levels.  The techniques themselves seem like weird choices too, since most of the advanced stuff (duck climbing on nets, ducking through ledges via one block gaps and even carrying items on said nets) doesn't seem to get used until a few worlds in.  Would have been better if the game just taught you these things when they were actually required rather than shoehorning them in level 1.

The level with control reversing water was a pain too, because jumping out changes the controls in mid air.  It would have been better there to... maybe add some control reversing air above the control reversing water so people weren't so confused. 

Bosses were lacklustre (though the final boss will seemingly be really good), but that's just part of the VIP 1 era charm.  That said, the game itself plays out more like VIP 2 or 3 at the moment, with a weird level of chocolate content not at all like the (very minimal) stuff in the first game. 

The overworld and music is nice too, no complaints there.

But it's an interesting game regardless.
Like Wario?  If so, check out Wario Forums today!

Similarly, want to test a new gaming site?  Check out Gaming Reinvented! Now in beta!

JCE3000GT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 08:51:53 pm »
Does this work on real hardware?  What emulators are compatible?

aterraformer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 09:56:40 pm »
Does this work on real hardware?  What emulators are compatible?

I play on SNES myself.  All the newer emulators should work fine, except for ZSNES.