News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: R-Type Tactics II (PSP) FULL PATCH RELEASED  (Read 63183 times)

Yukari-Sama

• View Profile
Re: R-Type Tactics II (PSP) FULL PATCH RELEASED
« Reply #120 on: July 27, 2017, 07:23:54 am »
Yeah, that's a remnant of how I was originally going to handle the DLC. Given that it's a bit more technical, I went with google links instead. It would have solved the "preservation" point that Dominorail made though. You could see it as an invitation to try figuring out how to make extra DLC yourself. :)

I managed to find the thread that broke down the DLC. I found no mention of codes and whatnot, so I am not sure if it will help. Regardless, I will leave it here:

I also found another link on the Chinese site which may or may not be helpful, but I'll leave it here as well:

The way I obtained Fine Motion II was by creating the file rather than downloading it, although I did download it to ensure that they were the same file. So I'm guessing that is also how we can obtain the rest of the DLC. However, I'm not familiar with some of the names as some of them are long and somewhat hard to pronounce. Does the number when you make the file i.e. CMD0XYZ matter or can I use any as long as it doesn't match with another CMD file? If so, I'll follow that format alongside the one for Fine Motion II and experiment here and there, but after I complete Chapter 2 (Chapter 1 and 3 replayed 100%) since I have about 3 links left to find. (Resources x200)

Regarding the resources, I do not mind where the Solonium and Bydogen codes go, as you can mine those wherever in any Chapter. However, I would recommend later on (if possible) putting all the Etherium codes in Chapter 1, possibly before the Kuiper Belt mission(s) as there is absolutely no way for you to mine Etherium in Chapter 1 except for one cheap way that will take forever. You will need it once you get *THAT* spoils in said mission above, as all the new units will need Etherium and that will deplete in seconds. But since the DLC is shared across all saves, I don't think it will be a problem.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 10:55:56 am by Yukari-Sama »

MathOnNapkins

• Forum Moderator
  • Who ya gonna call
    • View Profile
    • Arc-Nova - Rohmackin' and Chiptunin'
« Reply #121 on: July 27, 2017, 11:53:44 am »
This thread came to the moderators' attention recently and I would like to state categorically that at this present time it would be considered a rule violation to post links to these DLC packages. If the patch itself has these links embedded, that is also rather questionable whether the patch should be hosted by RHDN, but I am not on Submission Staff so I'd have to ask them what they think.

My own suggestion would be that the patch author should provide the means to the user to "plug in" the DLC either by providing a way to input a server URL or set of URLs; or alternatively, provide the user a middleware program to slipstream a DLC archive (obtained elsewhere) into the patch before fully patching the game image. Obviously both of those would require more work on the patch author's part and change the intended dynamic somewhat.

Just because this material was obtained from a now-defunct service doesn't mean that it's abandonware. Unless it is in writing somewhere that the DLC it has been made public domain content (or under a license that is exceedingly permissive in this regard), the current method seems very sketchy to me.

Isourou-san

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 27, 2017, 12:24:26 pm »
I've had this discussion with my team as well, taking into consideration that IREM has pulled out of the game developing business completely. I figured that as long as you own the original game, it would be ok to get the DLC in whatever way, given that it was completely free anyway. Obviously, I was wrong in my judgment, so I have no choice but to remove any mention of DLC in the game. I'll submit a patch update as soon as I can.

If the community (or RHDN staff) has any other way that isn't illegal, that would be great.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 03:10:00 pm by Isourou-san »

XRey360

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 27, 2017, 01:26:38 pm »
I don't want to sound rude, but I sorta agree with not having the DLCs linked in-game and rather have them kept outside.

It feels as if it's polluting the game. I truly thank you for the long, hard work of translating to english, but the DLC links added to random missions descriptions weren't really needed...

Isourou-san

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 27, 2017, 03:08:48 pm »
Patch 1.1 submitted, awaiting staff approval.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #125 on: July 29, 2017, 08:56:58 pm »
I thought PSP games are still sold by buying them with a PS3, PS Vita (limited selection), or web browser.
Closing the PSP storefront didn't remove its ability to download games after purchase.

New digital releases seem to be possible too. Class of Heroes 3 hasn't yet been declared cancelled yet.

TideGear

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 30, 2017, 12:07:19 am »
So is there nowhere to get the DLC now?

Isourou-san

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 30, 2017, 07:45:42 am »
I thought PSP games are still sold by buying them with a PS3, PS Vita (limited selection), or web browser.
Closing the PSP storefront didn't remove its ability to download games after purchase.
New digital releases seem to be possible too. Class of Heroes 3 hasn't yet been declared cancelled yet.

Closing down the PSP storefront is only part of it. The main problem is that IREM has pulled all of its content from Playstation stores altogether since August 2011. Supposedly because of some beef they had with Sony. Also, the 2011 earthquake/tsunami/fukushima disaster forced them out of the video game business somehow. So as I said before, there is no way to legally obtain the DLC anymore.
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927750-playstation-3/59804014

The only exception to Irem games being pulled, is R-Type Dimensions, because it was sub-licenced to Tozai Games.
https://www.tozaigames.com/rtype

Either way, I'm done with discussing the DLC. As the RHDN staff deemed it illegal, I've regrettably abided. Given the criticism I publicly received for it (a PM would have been just as good to communicate this), I no longer have the motivation for it anyway. Wish I could have finished this project on a better note, but so be it.

If there is any feedback on the translation part, I'll be happy to hear it though.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 10:32:06 am by Isourou-san »

Antarusch

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 31, 2017, 09:49:52 am »
Closing down the PSP storefront is only part of it. The main problem is that IREM has pulled all of its content from Playstation stores altogether since August 2011. Supposedly because of some beef they had with Sony. Also, the 2011 earthquake/tsunami/fukushima disaster forced them out of the video game business somehow. So as I said before, there is no way to legally obtain the DLC anymore.

The only exception to Irem games being pulled, is R-Type Dimensions, because it was sub-licenced to Tozai Games.

Either way, I'm done with discussing the DLC. As the RHDN staff deemed it illegal, I've regrettably abided. Given the criticism I publicly received for it (a PM would have been just as good to communicate this), I no longer have the motivation for it anyway. Wish I could have finished this project on a better note, but so be it.

If there is any feedback on the translation part, I'll be happy to hear it though.

I´m sorry about the situation with the dlc, I´m really grateful for all your efforts with this translation, otherwise we would not be able to play this game in english.

I hope that you don´t get discouraged about translating other game in the future, the psp has a great library
of games that are japanese only.

TideGear

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 31, 2017, 06:13:46 pm »
I´m sorry about the situation with the dlc, I´m really grateful for all your efforts with this translation, otherwise we would not be able to play this game in english.

I hope that you don´t get discouraged about translating other game in the future, the psp has a great library
of games that are japanese only.

I concur!

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #130 on: July 31, 2017, 06:49:13 pm »

That's okay. No need to dwell on it. Not that I have any idea where I'd find the dlc online on my own, even if it were allowed.

Allplay1997

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 31, 2017, 11:35:34 pm »
Well if it helps any, I have most of the DLC already. I completed the entire Human Campaign (starting Bydo soon) and got quite a few DLC I could share, I also managed to get the Ragnarok II and Nostrand (using cheats tho)

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 04, 2017, 01:26:03 pm »
This is almost ridiculous, since the DLC is nothing but plaintext shoved into an appropriately named file.  Honestly, not so certain the specific numbering is even that important, but it does match the order the units filename strings are in.  It is required they have a name in the form CMD%04d.EDAT, in the folder psp/games/ULJS00233/CMD unless you change that in the iso.

Unless I really screwed this up, here's a complete list of what all the possible unlock commands would be:
https://pastebin.com/phhvHfdA

I can understand not wanting to distribute files, but generating them yourself or writing something to automate it wouldn't be too far off from an sram generator.

Can't say for certain that any arbitrary unlock string will have a noticeable effect, but that's how the system works at least.

Thexare

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 04, 2017, 10:57:33 pm »
I tested a few things there, and it does work. Sadly, that VIC_VIPER entry isn't functional, gives you a dummy craft that crashes PPSSPP, and I couldn't find the various flavors of berry tank. Considering how restricted they are, I admittedly didn't look hard.

Name translations:

Haxan should most likely be Hakusan. There was theme naming in R-Type Final with the spike-cannon ships, they're all named for places in Japan. In particular, Hakusan was the location of Irem's headquarters before 2010.

Prince Dan should probably be Princedom, based on Final again. I'm open to the possibility that Final mistranslated, but that's the only official translation we have of that one. Related, Jigitarius was Digitalius in Final, though Bydo units have an established history of different names in different releases and I'm not sure if either name means anything.

The Arrowhead Red shares the Arrowhead Green's Rwf-9gr designation, I assume that should be Rwf-9rd.

The Garum-class cruiser should be Garm, being as most of the human warships are Norse references. It's entirely up to you if you want to go for the accurate choice or maintain consistency with Command/Tactics 1, just bringing it up. If you decide to change it for accuracy-to-source, Egir should also become Egil, Patrocross should be Patroclus, Neoptolemos should be Neoptolemus.

Questionably Relevant Bug:

The Ragnarok 2 cannot use the Cyclone Force. This may be because the Cyclone Force was registered as a Fighter type, or because it wasn't properly implemented. I don't know how hard it'd be to fix, or how worthwhile - the Ragnarok 2 and accompanying Cyclone Force were presumably intended as future DLC that never happened, so it's only available through cheating it in in one way or another.

I like the patch and was really happy to see it was done, there's just a few little things to look at. Also the game's hard.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 06:11:10 pm by Thexare »

Isourou-san

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 06, 2017, 05:19:51 am »
Name translations:

Questionably Relevant Bug:

I like the patch and was really happy to see it was done, there's just a few little things to look at. Also the game's hard.

Thanks for your input! I've changed the following translations:
- Haxan to Hakusan
- Prince Dan to Princedom (even though ダン (dan) is used instead of ドン(dom) in the Japanese version)
- The Rwf-9gr to Rwf-9rd designation (even though it was wrong in the original Japanese version of the game)

I'll leave the other units as they were, for consistency purposes with RTC.

Regarding the Ragnarok II/Cyclone force units, it has been mentioned before that they're probably unfinished DLC that act as a dummy right now:
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/969689-r-type-tactics-ii-operation-bitter-chocolate/53155207

Lastly, regarding the game being ridiculously hard, there are a few tips I had jotted down once, which might make the game more bearable:
- The key to winning in most missions, is optimal use of charge attacks. Let your fighters charge, while avoiding being hit. Otherwise, they'll have to start from scratch again.
- Ships can now be loaded with units during the deployment fase, as well as Shiva, when it's already occupied at mission start, like in chapter 1, mission 5.
- Don't deploy warships/cruisers at all costs. They use up a lot of deployment space and are only useful in large, open maps. Better to go with smaller ships and more units instead. The Hraesvelgr (Destroyer) is a great trade-off IMO in terms of firepower, speed and docking space.
- Don't upgrade Heimdall to Tyr to avoid wasting resources. The reason will become clear much later. Tyr's improvements are marginal anyway.
- Make Ragnarok as soon and as many as you can, they... rock
- Make Jamming units as soon as you can. They're great for stealth attacks, and absolutely essential in later missions.

Unless I really screwed this up, here's a complete list of what all the possible unlock commands would be:https://pastebin.com/phhvHfdA
I have no idea how you obtained this list, but it works like a charm! I think I might blaze through the game one more time with Team Red now, consisting of only red-dyed units/ships :)

Allplay1997

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 06, 2017, 11:06:53 am »
I have tested with all those codes along with a friend, we managed to break the game by injecting even Unknown Civilization units in the game, Utgarda Loki army, Amber Eyes everywhere, you name it, we even got Solar Envoys and its guards, its a mess, needless to say the game became a joke after we did this after seeing 8 Utgarda Lokis firing Wave Cannons on round 1 using CWCheats to max out the charge  :laugh:

Regarding Vic Viper I tested it too on a PSP, doesn't work, when viewing the model, a random R-9A shows up, after closing the game crashes, neither do the Options work, so as of now, G-Type is the only way of getting our crossover of R-Type and Gradius  :-\

Another bug is that the Narcissus II is categorized as a mothership, along with the previously mentioned Cyclone Force, also you don't need cheats to play as the Ragnarok II, but as it stands its only good for bragging rights, its a WarHead in a Ragnarok II skin basically  :banghead: if there's any way to edit the stats I'd gladly want to try.

Also, Dobkeratops Junior works as a Bydo unit, however they're massively overpowered, I get it they are slow but anything they hit turns to ash, 2 turn charge doesn't balance it out either, it has no evasion so- I believe if you want to use them keep them away from enemies.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 12:09:19 pm by Allplay1997 »

Thexare

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 06, 2017, 03:04:00 pm »
The problem I run into is more for the missions where you can't really rely on wave cannons, like the Oberon Revolt (Granzella 17 I think?). Too many enemies above or behind you. Also, the rebel fortress recapture took four tries and even on the final attempt it came down to the last turn.

Those lasers with the 2-4 range on Oberon are a pain in the ass. And I need to try to save my Decoys, because I need them to bait out the boss's charge so I can try to get around it. Last time I tried, the boss killed all six of my surviving fighter squads, at which point I kinda decided to just step back from the game for a bit.

I think I might need to make use of extra Eclipse units for the burst of mobility to get around that cannon, it's got pretty stupid range.

One thing I noticed is that Jormungandr-type units can be deployed essentially freely since they take two spots and can carry two units, so you're still getting your full fighter deployment anyway.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 04:06:25 pm by Thexare »

Allplay1997

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 07, 2017, 03:06:43 am »
Hmm, Mission 17 is the same for EAF and GZRA, if you're playing as the GZRA make use of the Jamming units, those are your best friends, trial and error is the only thing I can recommend as well, learn enemy positions and remember to never leave Jammer units alone, take a resupply unit (one that can repair since Jammer units are slow when jamming meaning they can keep up, take Bombers and Balmung your way through, remember there's a WiseMan as the EAF in the base (Not sure what the base holds for the GZRA) its a cheap tactic but it keeps you alive.

As for defeating the boss, Michael, I do recommend taking a decoy with you, hide it in the jamming and then send it off towards the Wave Cannon range to set it off, after that Zerg Rush it, keep jamming on all the time, Jamming is overpowered if you know how to use it, a fine example is Mission 16 True Nightmare If you deploy your units well around a jammer you can reach Dobkeratops without having to lose a single unit, bait a decoy into activating the Dobbie's charge attack then strike.

I hope you don't give up on the game because it's hard yes but it's also satisfying  :thumbsup: Good luck!

TideGear

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 07, 2017, 03:11:17 am »
Thanks for your input! I've changed the following translations:
- Haxan to Hakusan
- Prince Dan to Princedom (even though ダン (dan) is used instead of ドン(dom) in the Japanese version)
- The Rwf-9gr to Rwf-9rd designation (even though it was wrong in the original Japanese version of the game)

I'll leave the other units as they were, for consistency purposes with RTC.

Does this mean you updated the translation patch? Both the subtitled and sub-less patches are still marked as v1.1.

Thanks again for your hard work!

Thexare

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 07, 2017, 03:20:56 am »
Just checked, it's 16 that has Michael and that I ran into problems with. But I don't have any jammers showing up in R&D. Did I miss a pickup somewhere? I have spoils 1-24, and the last one was in Oberon Revolt, so I feel like I should have everything.

I didn't have any problems at all with the Dobkeratops mission though