News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy Ultra  (Read 17406 times)

RobertAugustdeMeijer

• View Profile
Final Fantasy Ultra
« on: November 05, 2015, 05:25:25 pm »

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2602/

It's done, so check it out! I'm not trying to be modest: I really believe everybody should jump ship and never look back at the original  :angel:
Since I really love hearing from others what they like and don't like, I'm making a thread here, too.

Want to shout out some thanks to Disch for helping out with some code, ZzonkMiles for the Int Patch, PinkPuff for all the groundwork, Ralph for making that Let's Play (link is on the download page), and all the other playtesters!

"It's great!"
- OnOurLastLife

"Having a blast!"
- J

"Lots of fun. You've actually got me inspired to work a bit more on my Mod of Balance"
- Jeff Ludwig

" It was amazing! You did an incredible job. Love the new dungeons, the balance, everything."
- Mathew

"Superb and fun hack so far!"
- W_K

"I've been playing a little and really like it so far."
-Titanium69

"Enjoying the game alot!"
-Rare_candy

"He really tightened up the gameplay, though at the expense of actually loosening up those graphics."
-Patrick Dugan

Edit: Here's a link to a walkthrough.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/522595-final-fantasy/72983108

Edit: Here's a list of what the spells do:

Level 1 spells:
Fire = Deal a lot of fire damage to one enemy.
Bolt = Deal a modest amount of lightning damage to all enemies.
Slep = Put your enemies to sleep. This spell can be resisted.
Bind= Lower the evasion of enemies, making them easier to hit with weapons.

Cure = Heal about fifty hit points.
Holy= Deal a lot of holy damage to all undead enemies (like zombies and skeletons).
Invs = Increase the evasion of your party members. Good for long fights.
Wake = This spell will take away any paralyze and sleep effects from party members.

Level 2 spells:
Ice = Damage all enemies with ice. Does more damage than Bolt.
Aero=A lot of wind damage to one enemy, more than Fire.
Blnd=All enemies will go blind, making it harder for them to hit you.
Pois= Poison all your enemies, which will sap away their hit points at 10% a turn.

Heal =Heal about fifty hit points for the whole party.
Will= Reduce the chance of afflictions (like Stun, Sleep and Poison) to your party.
Shld = Raise the armor rating of your whole party. Great with Invs.
Purg= Takes away poison and stun effects from your party.

Level 3 spells:
Fir2 = Deadlier version of Fire
Blt2= Deadlier version of Bolt
Tmpr = Makes the members of your party hit harder. Great for long battles.
Chrm= Makes enemies fight for your. Can be resisted.

Cur2= Heals around 100 hit points.
Hly2 = A stronger version of Holy.
Slow= Makes opponents only hit once.
Clns= Removes all afflictions from your party.

Level 4
HEL2: Heals everybody for quite a bit
SHEL: Defends party against elemental spells
BLNK: One member increases evasion a lot.
LIFE: Revives party member to 1 hp out of battle. Damages one undead in combat.

ICE2: Ice damage to all enemies
COMT: A lot of dark damage to one enemy
HSTE: Double attacks for party member
BIO: Poisons and sleeps all enemies

Level 5
CUR3: Heal a lot of hitpoints for one party member
HLY3: Damage all undead for a lot.
MUTE: Silence all enemies
SOFT: Remove stone out of battle, petrify one opponent in combat

FIR3: Deal a lot of fire damage to one enemy
BLT3: Deal a lot of electric damage to all enemies
STOP: Paralyze one enemy
WARP: Teleport back one story out of battle, lower morale of one enemy in combat

Level 6
HEL3: Heal a lot of hit points for all party members
WALL: Defend against all magic for party
CHKR: Fully heal and cleanse caster
EXIT: Exit dungeon out of battle, lower morale of all enemies in combat

ICE3: A lot of ice damage to all enemies
DARK: A lot of dark damage to single enemy.
TPR2: Increase attack damage of one party member
GLXY: Paralyze and sleep all enemies

Level 7
CUR4: Fully heal and cleanse party member.
HLY4: Deal massive damage to all undead
IVS2: Greatly increase invasion for whole party
HEX: Poison, blind, sleep and mute all enemies

QAKE: Deal a lot of earth damage to all enemies
TNDO: Deal massive air damage to one enemy
DETH: Terminate one enemy
HST2: Whole party doubles attacks

Level 8
HEL4: Fully heal and cleanse the whole party
PERL: Massive holy damage to all enemies
SLD2: Greatly increase armor for whole party
LIF2: Fully heal dead party member out of battle, deal massive damage to one undead in battle.

FLAR: Massive non-elemental damage to one enemy
MTEO: Massive dark damage to all enemies
XZON: Terminate all enemies
TPR3: Massively increase attack power of one party member.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 10:03:08 am by RobertAugustdeMeijer »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy Ultra
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 06:31:55 pm »
"It's great!"
- OnOurLastLife

"Having a blast!"
- J

"Lots of fun. You've actually got me inspired to work a bit more on my Mod of Balance"
- Jeff Ludwig

" It was amazing! You did an incredible job. Love the new dungeons, the balance, everything."
- Mathew

"Superb and fun hack so far!"
- W_K

"I've been playing a little and really like it so far."
-Titanium69

"Enjoying the game alot!"
Rare_candy

Siskel and Ebert give it two thumbs up.

:D
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 11:52:40 pm »
The amount of changes look startling. This actually sounds like the advanced remake they should have made for Dawn of Souls... but I haven't yet gotten a chance to play it. I will in the next few days as it seems quite interesting.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 12:00:34 am »
I'm actually a big fan of total hacks like this (Grond's revised Frank Ftasny was great)---just one question though:

Since this hack was based off FF negative zero, can I assume you (or pinkpuff) have revamped the items in the game?

I'm looking forward to playing this at some point!

RobertAugustdeMeijer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 02:57:28 am »
Pretty much every item and spell has been revamped.

The Cure potion now costs a hefty 250 gold, which can usually only be mass purchased by teams without expensive casters.
The Clns potion (replaces the Pure) takes away all status effects and is only 50 gold. The Clns spell is still worth it because it cleanses all party members in combat.

Tents/Cabins/Inns are pretty much the same, though.

As for magical armor/weapons: there are only ten of them. Eight are rings which cannot be equipped. There are also two magical rods which cast slightly stronger spells. These are mostly in the game so that teams without casters can still beat later bosses.

The amount of changes look startling. This actually sounds like the advanced remake they should have made for Dawn of Souls... but I haven't yet gotten a chance to play it. I will in the next few days as it seems quite interesting.

Jeff Ludwig has made great improvements to the Dawn of Souls versions:
http://www.jeffludwig.com/finalfantasy/download.php
But he hasn't added/changed the maps.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 03:04:22 am by RobertAugustdeMeijer »

JCE3000GT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 01:39:20 pm »

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2602/

Just a quick question regarding your change log.  Can you explain in greater detail this point below?

Corneria has two queens. For gender diversity.

RobertAugustdeMeijer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 02:18:40 pm »
Sure: I'm one of those folks that's disappointed by the (current) representation of genders in media.

It's much rarer to take orders from female npcs in games. I've also never seen a monarchic homosexual relationship.
Another thing is that now you save a prince.
Finally, the Sorcerer, Ninja and Cleric are described by using female pronouns.

I sincerely don't think this will disrupt anybody's enjoyment of the game, while at the same time, perhaps making the experience a tad more likable, if not more interesting.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 02:49:30 pm »
I'm a little concerned by the "enemies drop less gold" thing. FF1 was never very good about broadcasting how any given piece of equipment affected your characters' stats, and "more expensive" didn't always translate to "better". Having decreased purchasing power means less room to make mistakes.

I'm also slightly concerned with altered magic. There were a lot of frankly useless spells in FF1, and there was no way to discard them. I know you've stated that you've improved a lot of things (healing is more effective, intelligence improves magic effectiveness, etc) but the only reason people still put up with the NES version of the game is either because 1) there are guides to help them tell which spells are useless, or 2) they already know which spells are useless. Later versions of the game allow people to drop spells, but again since you've decreased the amount of gold enemies drop, even if you hacked the game to allow for new spells players couldn't necessarily afford them.

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 03:46:52 pm »
Sure: I'm one of those folks that's disappointed by the (current) representation of genders in media.

It's much rarer to take orders from female npcs in games. I've also never seen a monarchic homosexual relationship.

I sincerely don't think this will disrupt anybody's enjoyment of the game, while at the same time, perhaps making the experience a tad more likable, if not more interesting.

A slight bit of a poor series to discuss that with, especially considering that the sequel is centered around taking orders from a female head of state. Lenna rules Tycoon in FFV after her father's disappearance (I forget if Krile is also made leader). The plot of FFVI is pushed forward in the second half by a lady and FFXII centers around restoring a lady to the throne and she is also the one to move the plot along and for the most part directs the party's movements.

For the other talk about the other three, I thought you were talking about enemies at first which confused me (one of those three is clearly an Eldritch being) but I suppose you're referring to your new class set up.

obscurumlux01

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2015, 03:50:01 pm »

I respect your beliefs and it is your rom hack, but it might help to have a more 'original' version available for those who don't want gender politics inserted into older games.  Please seperate the gender stuff from all the other changes and offer it as a seperate patch within the same download in a way that you can apply both of them to the same ROM if you desire.

There is a clear difference between something like Donkey Kong Pauline or the Female Shadowrun patch and something like this which significantly improves the original in many ways.

This is partly why my releases have been very modular and let you pick and choose which patches to do.  I did this successfully for my 'Amnethen Apocalypse' addendum patch of Dragoon X Omega Gold.  If I'd chosen to make the main character male (because reasons) than it may not have been optimal to just embed that within an otherwise-awesome patch and force people to deal with it.

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2015, 04:24:12 pm »
I respect your beliefs and it is your rom hack, but it might help to have a more 'original' version available for those who don't want gender politics inserted into older games.

I could not disagree more.

If you want to have a queen, or 2 queens, or whatever, just put them in your hack and be done with it.  You don't have to draw attention to it or make a big deal out of it, just have it that way.

When you start to make it a "thing", that's when people start getting all uppity about their opposition to it.  When you even go so far as to create a separate patch so as not to offend anyone... you're basically conceding and admitting that your original take was wrong -- or even controversial (it really, really isn't).

Plus... this is a fantasy world.  You can make up whatever rules regarding gender that you want.  That's the great thing about fantasy and fiction in general.

RobertAugustdeMeijer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2015, 04:26:59 pm »
I'm a little concerned by the "enemies drop less gold" thing. FF1 was never very good about broadcasting how any given piece of equipment affected your characters' stats, and "more expensive" didn't always translate to "better". Having decreased purchasing power means less room to make mistakes.

I'm also slightly concerned with altered magic. There were a lot of frankly useless spells in FF1, and there was no way to discard them. I know you've stated that you've improved a lot of things (healing is more effective, intelligence improves magic effectiveness, etc) but the only reason people still put up with the NES version of the game is either because 1) there are guides to help them tell which spells are useless, or 2) they already know which spells are useless. Later versions of the game allow people to drop spells, but again since you've decreased the amount of gold enemies drop, even if you hacked the game to allow for new spells players couldn't necessarily afford them.

Good points:
What I can say is that the weapons and armor are always an upgrade to their cheaper versions in all ways. While some people like to make choices about which equipment they wear, this game instead puts all the focus on which choices you make during combat.

As for the magic, there's now a list of what the spells do in the original post. For those who want the nitty-gritty, there's always Disch's Hackster.

obscurumlux01

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2015, 05:10:13 pm »
I could not disagree more.
If you want to have a queen, or 2 queens, or whatever, just put them in your hack and be done with it.  You don't have to draw attention to it or make a big deal out of it, just have it that way.
When you start to make it a "thing", that's when people start getting all uppity about their opposition to it.  When you even go so far as to create a separate patch so as not to offend anyone... you're basically conceding and admitting that your original take was wrong -- or even controversial (it really, really isn't).
Plus... this is a fantasy world.  You can make up whatever rules regarding gender that you want.  That's the great thing about fantasy and fiction in general.

If it was an original game then you would be correct.
But when you alter the original game then choices do matter and offering the choice for a more 'original' experience would be nice to have.
Your 'oh but it is fantasy' is not a good argument, btw.
I could CHOOSE to create a futuristic-fantasy world where non-white women are enslaved to men and serve them as 'basic bitches' and release it as 'my artistic vision'.  See how well that would go over.  There are certain things that are criticized even within the worlds of fantasy.  It is not immune or insulated from public criticism.

This has nothing to do with 'artistic freedom'.  Artistic freedom only matters to you and those like you when it suits your tastes/agenda.  I doubt you care about true freedom of expression (even for those things you strongly hate/dislike).

I've particularly railed against one specific series of hacks (those Mario Dick Nazi ones) as being in bad taste and shouldn't be HOSTED here on RHDN.  I never said they shouldn't be MADE publically available from other sites through other means or even hosted off-site with a link here on RHDN to that website.

A ROM Hack hosted here on RHDN should have more going for it than a simple palette swap or sprite hack.  Yet for whatever reason we are getting many 'female character lol progress' hacks that do nothing but swap sprites/graphics around and alter some pronouns.  If it was part of an original/revamped story or with some balance changes then it deserves a spot here on RHDN.

Seperating the gender stuff from everything else AS PART of another hack (like this one) and bundling them together as an option to patch the way you want is something that would be far more helpful to many people who don't want to deal with gender politics in games.

RHDN in general has an issue with bending/ignoring the rules when it suits their purpose.  I've talked to the mod team about it and their response was basically 'our website, our rules, our needs above yours, fuck you'.  So much for a 'romhacking community'.  :P

If the author of this hack wanted to remake it in their own way using RPG Maker or GameMaker or Unity or whatever and make it an original story with Final Fantasy inspirations then they can do whatever they like without issues.  Go nuts.

TLDR:
Make something yourself?  Do whatever you want since it is YOUR work.
Modify the work of others?  Offer options for those who want the original experience intact without unnecessary Rule 63 (gender swapping) for the hell of it.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 05:24:12 pm by obscurumlux01 »

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2015, 05:23:34 pm »
This kind of debate should stay in General Discussion section.

Personnally, I found them boring and stupid, like almost anything in General section, but I don't complain : I just don't read General Section. But if you start polluting other sections, since I don't want to lose my time with it, and get angry or anything, I'll just leave rhdn.

Not a big loss, but I may be not the only one. So please, open another topic in General Section and stay there. Thanks :)

JCE3000GT

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2015, 08:15:24 pm »

Thank you for the reply and information. Did you change any of the dialogue or can someone simply convert one of those queens back to a King sprite?

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2015, 12:33:03 am »
lol i played the dawn of souls hack by jeff ludwig, shame I kept having weird graphical issues

i'd try this but I haven't been much for NES games lately

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2015, 12:42:16 am »
@obscurumlux01: Keep that attitude off the forums. I've had people complain about it and they're staying away from the forums because of it. We don't need stuff like that driving away users.
Current Projects: On hold indefinitely.
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)
Mistress of the RHDN Discord server.

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2015, 12:44:34 am »

can't we all just get along

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2015, 01:10:04 am »
I don't see how changing the gender of one extremely minor character will really do anything for gender representation in the game, but do as you like. This sort of thing always seems to result in a huge ugly discussion about whether or not it was a good idea and I'm getting kind of annoyed with it, honestly.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2015, 03:43:14 am »
TLDR:
Make something yourself?  Do whatever you want since it is YOUR work.
Modify the work of others?  Offer options for those who want the original experience intact without unnecessary Rule 63 (gender swapping) for the hell of it.

Are you not going to play my Zelda hack because I made the lead a female? :'(

EDIT: I looked up rule 63 and then checked the image search. This was the first result:

Spoiler:

LOL
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 04:40:00 am by SunGodPortal »
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.