News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy Ultra  (Read 14964 times)

RobertAugustdeMeijer

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy Ultra
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2016, 12:30:52 pm »
I'm now making a walkthrough for Final Fantasy Ultra: Championship Edition

This version has dozens of tweaks, o.a. more hit points for enemies, more difficult to run away from battles, BLNK being replaced by a weaker SLD2, numerous aesthetic improvements, character selection bug removed (thanks Disch!), descriptions of spells told by NPCs, and more.

You can see this walkthrough and commentary here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG8tnpjgDvw&list=PLUB6ztqZD5EuxZ74ipd48L93Een2FSlbY

I hope to release this version of this game in a month or two, but playtesters are welcome to play an earlier version.

brittmarv

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2016, 09:47:48 pm »
So.. After so many years of lurking, I had to create an account just to comment on this hack.

This truly is a great hack.. one of the best in my opinion.

Like most classic rpgs, I have played this one at least 10 or 15 times since I was a kid. Yet, it has been many years now since I have played much of any classics. This was a breath of fresh air.

I am playing through the marsh cave now. The freshness and newness of this hack has brought back many memories. I may have been 7 or 8 the first time I was able to beat Marsh Cave and I was too young to know that I should have stocked up on Pures and Tents. I used my last tent to save after exiting marsh cave and, try as I might (and I tried.. like 20 times..) i couldn't get back to town without dying because my team was poisoned and close to death.

These are some things that have really impressed me and also made this the best version of final fantasy (hack or square produced) out there..

Spoiler:
I just _knew_ that the empty room with the 3 statues at the bottom of the marsh cave must have had a secret battle. It did.. but.. wow, I stand no chance. It is 2 Clay Golems and 5 Squids (Squidlarkin?). Maybe If I had a Sage or Warlock but my only offensive caster is a wizard. I can tell you love this game as much as I do based on changes such as this.

It was great that Astos' castle was now a dungeon and , surprise, he was hostile from the get go. I beat him before Marsh Cave. Love that you flipped some things around. No Crown required now. It is almost open-world feeling. Great!

I could run to Elf Town before getting the ship? And the ship required a dungeon? And.. the pirates actually had Bikke fighting with them? Awesome.

You would be surprised how many people don't know about the Peninsula of Power. I found it on my own as a kid and of course abused it, which was easy with Fire 2. You have changed that in a great way. Now that fire spells are single target only, it takes much more strategy to tackle the Zombulls and Frost Enemies.

Not only that, but you included two other areas (the swamps of power?) Based on your sense of balance and accessibility, I would say you did that not only to offer some variety but to cater to different playstyles. Nice.

I remember you saying gold would be scarce. I was a little worried but you have done well with it. Some battles are still profitable, as intended, Such as Kyzoku. And of course, the 4x Giants are the go-to farm to afford elf-land equipment.

I love what you have done with the equipment system. It is more streamlined, takes less inventory space (did we really need gauntlets?) and, naturally, would allow more space in the code for cool weapons in the end-game. Which I am stoked about. End Game variety is a must for supporting various play styles and I have no doubt that you have put a lot of thought into that.

Also, this allows a new way to play the game for those seeking a challenge. It is pretty fun to hit the dungeon before you buy equipment.. You will probably get some of the gear you intended to buy anyway. It would save you gold as well.

Little things make a big difference. Love the Ravens and Dark Imps.. almost feel like those guys should be grouped together in some randoms. Squires in the marsh dungeon made me smile.

Ok.. now that the spoilers are out of the way, I have some other thoughts.

This hack really is a diamond in the rough. Despite the vast fan base and the great documents and tools that our community have produced, this game has, up until now, never really seen a hack of this magnitude. I believe bigger things are to come but for now, I can see myself playing through this hack again and again over the years. Thanks for that

What would I like to see change? Well, everything is solid on code end. But I do think i would be cool to see someone do a graphical hack of your hack. I remember in the golden age of rom hacking.. back when we had to hex edit with "FF Bytes" and edit graphics with DOS based tools.. it seemed that every day a graphics hack would pop up. Those are not as popular now, because we have entered the age where visionaries such as yourself now have the means and the support to do great things such as this. But, I have a bit of nostalgia about those old graphics hacks. I remember seeing things such as the Ogre from FF4 sprite being used in place of FF1's. and that was amazing. Zombie/Ghoul etc has a notoriously ugly sprite and there were some great changes to that one in particular.

Those were fun times but they were chaotic and unfocused. Now, if someone in this day and age, with the chops and ambition and discipline required was to get ahold of this hack, that would be pretty awesome.

That being said, this hack is as close to perfect as any hack I've played over the years and I can see your love of the game in every nook and cranny.

If I had to put a number on things.. this is an 11 man. Congrats on your effort!

EDIT:

Just wanted to share some more of my progress and cool stuff I have found

Heavy spoilers ahead

Spoiler:
So I managed to get the airship at level 11 now but have yet to find the canoe. Really loving the changes. It is like a whole new game.

To anyone who wants to get the airship early like I did.. it probably wouldn't have been possible without first raiding the Sunken Palace.

Getting the oxyale required going through a small dungeon. After entering the Sunken Palace you can get a Mithril Axe pretty early on and some Mithril Chainmail.

That axe has me hitting pretty hard for level 11 and I was able to kill the "Eye" monsters guarding the Floater in two hits. Oh - my Rogue was using a silver sword I bought from crescent town, he was hitting decently hard as well.

I found a (secret?) battle just as soon as I opened the Dwarf canal. "Seraph".. I couldn't take her out at the time but I may give it another shot now. Also, ran into some Magitek Armor :) They promptly destroyed me. Love the added touches!

Loving Rogue as leader.. it is challenging because he is a bit soft, but that makes it so much funner. Nice being able to run easily from mundane battles and getting the surprise attack is always helpful.

Second is Viking. I considered a paladin instead. The strategy would be to switch paladin Leader before boss fights. I hate that I have to sell all the plate armor but Viking does hit like a truck.

Finally, using Wizard and Priest. Enjoying the strategy of having only single target spells. I've never played that way in FF before so it is fun. Wizard is no slouch though. He has been pretty hoss so far.

Priest is super effective as a healer. I miss out on some support spells but, again, it is nice to change up the old strategy. WILL is pretty cool I must say.

EDIT AGAIN..

Spoiler:
Managed to get my first epic weapon.. "Hereward." It was tricky to get. Luckily the tiled encounters in that room were Runnable.

After getting that monster of an Ax, I decided to give another crack at clearing the 3 vampires in the library, which had mopped the floor with me earlier. Took a few tries but was able to take them down by focusing on one at a time. Was getting 7 hits from Viking with Haste. Rogue died early. Nuked with Life and Fire spells, then Comet once those ran out, which was about useless. WILL is very important for this fight! To my surprise here was the papyrus.

Was level 12 or 13 at this point.

Failed again fighting "Seraph". She is a toughie. For some reason she reminds me of the first time I encountered Intangr in FF6.

After this I decided to quit exploring and worked my way through the Earth Cave. Glad to see that you can clear it in one run, no need to get the rod.

In the volcano now about halfway through
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 02:08:45 am by brittmarv »

RobertAugustdeMeijer

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2016, 02:39:42 am »
Hah thanks for the feedback, Brittmarv!
Ironically, half the things you like were from the hack I worked on, Final Fantasy Negative One. And the other half of the things you mention have been tweaked in the upcoming Championship Edition  ;D

On graphics: Somebody is currently working on Final Fantasy Reconstructed which is a massive overhaul. Keep it in check, it looks wonderful!

On other hacks being big: Zzonk's Hard Mode is another amazing endeavor.

Once you get bored of this version, let me know if you'd like to playtest Championship Edition!

LazyNihilist

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2016, 08:31:12 am »
*Forum Post Necromancy*

How goes the war effort on Champion?

Would it be possible to get a list of which class the various bonus dungeon weapons go to? For those that have played WoW there's something of a clue in the naming scheme but for those that haven't it's mighty hard to find it out on your own. So far I'm guessing...

Spoiler:
| Viking [Herewar] | Rogue [Sting] | Monk [Unarmed] | Ninja [Masamun] |
| Cleric [Mjolnir] | Warlock [Anathem] | Sage [Merlin] | Fool [?] |
| Paladin [Justice] | Ranger [Anduril] | Wizard [Glamdrn] | Priest [Benedic] |
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 03:08:31 am by LazyNihilist »

RobertAugustdeMeijer

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2016, 10:30:19 am »
It's coming, get psyched!

Only one last trip through the game to make sure the game doesn't give too much or too little money.

LazyNihilist

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2016, 07:17:21 pm »
Outstanding! Can't wait  :woot!:

kainminter

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2016, 11:54:09 am »
This FF1 hack sounds pretty outstanding.
Does it also fix the targeting issue where you will be 'ineffective' if another party member kills the enemy before your turn comes up?

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2016, 12:39:33 pm »
That issue is easy to fix, just apply your brain and think a little, its called strategy.

kainminter

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2016, 02:02:27 pm »
Thank you for your reply.

I did complete the original game on NES back in the 90s, but always disliked the ineffective thing. Its a matter of preference, rather than a desire to remove strategy.

RobertAugustdeMeijer

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2016, 03:34:35 pm »
In FFUltra (CE) there's no autotargeting. I myself am happy with the way it is. The thing is, with autotargeting, fighting gets sloppier. I've experienced this with Jeff Ludwig's (excellent) hack of FF. I have more fun having to think ahead and get a 'risk/reward' element going by doing just enough damage to beat an enemy. If this really bugs you, check out Ludwig's work.

kainminter

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2016, 03:39:44 pm »
I appreciate the answer. Thank you as well for the recommendation.
FFUltra still looks amazing, regardless. Great job on all of your hard work!

LazyNihilist

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2016, 08:48:43 pm »
It would be nice if the Fool could equip any of the special weapons of the other classes. I get that it's supposed to be an impossible class (max stat of 54 across the board even if you reload any non-strong level gains AND tweak for full range of stat increases) granting it the special weapons wouldn't even balance the scale.. but at least it would add a sense of satisfaction at having fought so hard to get these weapons only to throw away 60% of them and the bonus armor as well unless you have a paladin.

I've been through it a dozen times or so with the Fool now and even with the strongest 3 you can put with it for a max 50 party (Paladin, Ranger, Scholar) it's rough.. All you can do with the Fool is put the Will and Invs rings on it and let it throw in a few minor buffs while you're heavy hitters apply the good stuff. With 2 Fools I barely made it into the Mirage Tower before I started getting wiped out too often and had to backtrack to level into the Mid-30s before completing it. At 50 2 Fools as it stands is nearly impossible to get through the Dark Cave or the Ordeals dungeon, the specials just hit too hard too often to do it with only 2 viable characters while the Fools are laying on the ground from getting One-shot. The Fool is a very fun challenge, I honestly don't think this could be done with 3 no matter how many tricks a player employs, you'd have to outright cheat to get anywhere. 3 Fools each equipped with the special item from a different class might be possible IF ground up to level 50 AND were willing to reload save states about every 3 seconds through every dungeon with the primary bosses taking possibly thousands of reloads to get the perfect responses. The lack of casting in 3 slots makes this rough even if you have just a rogue and 2 vikings.

I'd love to see someone take this on with 3 fools just to see at exactly what stage it becomes impossible to continue.

daman.tm

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2016, 06:03:33 am »
Seeing that very recently Dish made a bugfix patch for the popular Dynamic Action patch, have you considered making the patches compatible with your hack?

RobertAugustdeMeijer

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2016, 08:45:29 am »
@ LazyNihilist
About the fool: the class was made especially for people crazy enough to try using him. He's not good design, and that's the point actually: his presence gives the player a chance go places they weren't supposed to go.

@daman.tm
I haven't tried the dynamic action patch yet, and I have no idea what might happen to my hack of the game by applying it. I'm not in the mood for another round of playtesting. But who knows... there will eventually be a Final Fantasy Ultra Champion Edition Hyper Fighting...  :woot!:

September 14, 2016, 12:21:04 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Champion Edition has been released!

http://www.romhacking.net/reviews/2484/#review

It even got a very positive review, thanks Webbhead08 !!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 12:21:04 pm by RobertAugustdeMeijer »

RobertAugustdeMeijer

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2019, 09:15:00 am »
For those interested, an update to Champion Edition has been made!

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3067/