News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Pokemon Text Editing  (Read 7096 times)

WalkerWaits

• View Profile
Pokemon Text Editing
« on: October 21, 2015, 11:39:12 pm »
Hi everyone.
I've been using the utilities of this site for a few years, but just registered for the first time today. Wondering if someone might offer some advice. I'm looking to directly edit text in my pokemon fire red hack. Trying to rebuild basically an original game on the level of Snakewood or similar hacks. I've been using a hex editor but I'm running out of time and it's unbearably slow. The pokemon front-ends I can find all seem to be loaded with malware.

The little I need to do in terms of sprite and world editing I'm happy to do in hex but does anyone know of any sort of front-end program that will let me see and manipulate all text in the game? Or, other suggestions of easier ways to do this. Thanks so much.

-Walker

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon Text Editing
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 01:25:07 am »
The pokemon front-ends I can find all seem to be loaded with malware.
but does anyone know of any sort of front-end program that will let me see and manipulate all text in the game?
People could start suggesting them, but if you've already looked and determined that they're all "loaded with malware", what's the point..?

Perhaps you could give an example of something you've seen that you'd like to use and what makes you think there's malware involved?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

WalkerWaits

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 01:03:16 pm »
People could start suggesting them, but if you've already looked and determined that they're all "loaded with malware", what's the point..?

Perhaps you could give an example of something you've seen that you'd like to use and what makes you think there's malware involved?

So for instance, I can't find a copy of "Advance Text" that doesn't have a couple trojans piggybacked into the download, and then the program itself is corrupted and unusable. I guess you're right, I'm more asking for trusted sources?

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 11:01:01 pm »
Hmm, that would be http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/427/ , then.  Seems malware false positives are a common problem.

VirusTotal only comes up with a score of 10/57.  But then, I wouldn't want to bet the life of my machine on it being clean.  Would you perhaps be open to trying a virtual machine?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 03:07:48 pm »
Just a tip. To edit the text in the rom you:

Assuming the text is uncompressed (I think GBA Pocket Monsters game are)
Use relative search tool (monkeymoore, or CUE's RSEARCH) to make a tbl file
Open the ROM with a hex editor with table support (WindHex)

Normally you can find text and edit it with the hex editor at this stage.
However you're stuck with the original text length, which you can't exceed.
In case your text is longer, some people would use then the German/French script since it's longer, but...
The proper way would be to modify pointers. Hex data telling the game where the text begins. To do so:

Confirm the address where a given piece of the text begins, then look for pointers. (for GBA games, pointers are like this -with rare exceptions-)
Once you locate pointers, you can use a "script extractor/insertor" utility (look it up in Utilities here, like Cartographer/Atlas) so that the game gives you a nice text dump. Preferably, you'd want to expand the rom (look it up) and make the pointers point there instead and the text inserted there.

You get a giant txt file with all data in-game, which you can modify as you like just with those frontends. And you can take breaks and save the work-in-progress document too.
Then you let the script insertors do their magic with hex editors and pointers.

Now, about that Advance Tool?
It just does the above. Nothing more.
But with some coat of shiny paint. And only for specific regions of a specific set of games.
It's by no means essential either.
And in this case, it made my browser throw up a malware alert, so it's not advisable.

tl;dr: do things the proper way. By the way, "my method" works with almost everything you want to alter its text (as long as it's not graphical text)

WalkerWaits

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 08:23:37 pm »
Just a tip. To edit the text in the rom you:

Assuming the text is uncompressed (I think GBA Pocket Monsters game are)
Use relative search tool (monkeymoore, or CUE's RSEARCH) to make a tbl file
Open the ROM with a hex editor with table support (WindHex)

Normally you can find text and edit it with the hex editor at this stage.
However you're stuck with the original text length, which you can't exceed.
In case your text is longer, some people would use then the German/French script since it's longer, but...
The proper way would be to modify pointers. Hex data telling the game where the text begins. To do so:

Confirm the address where a given piece of the text begins, then look for pointers. (for GBA games, pointers are like this -with rare exceptions-)
Once you locate pointers, you can use a "script extractor/insertor" utility (look it up in Utilities here, like Cartographer/Atlas) so that the game gives you a nice text dump. Preferably, you'd want to expand the rom (look it up) and make the pointers point there instead and the text inserted there.

You get a giant txt file with all data in-game, which you can modify as you like just with those frontends. And you can take breaks and save the work-in-progress document too.
Then you let the script insertors do their magic with hex editors and pointers.

Now, about that Advance Tool?
It just does the above. Nothing more.
But with some coat of shiny paint. And only for specific regions of a specific set of games.
It's by no means essential either.
And in this case, it made my browser throw up a malware alert, so it's not advisable.

tl;dr: do things the proper way. By the way, "my method" works with almost everything you want to alter its text (as long as it's not graphical text)

Thank you! I had no idea I could do a complete dump like that! I really appreciate it!