News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [HELP] Shining in the Darkness Hacking -- Unlock Shop Deals  (Read 2171 times)

obscurumlux01

• View Profile
[HELP] Shining in the Darkness Hacking -- Unlock Shop Deals
« on: October 11, 2015, 11:54:00 pm »
I'm completely out of my element on how to trigger these situations but here's what I've found so far.
If you perform specific actions (most commonly try to buy something, cancel, then exit the shop) then the shopkeeper will offer you a 'Special Deal'.

What I want is for these Special Deals to ALWAYS be offered if you've progressed enough within the story.  This can be through Pro Action Replay codes (which are RAW codes that work outside the limitations of Game Genie) or by specifying the exact sequence necessary to get the shopkeeper to unlock the Special Deals (as in try to buy specific item then cancel then try another item then cancel then try to leave).

So here's the source I'm using for this information.  I'd like these Special Deals offered at the specified points of the story without constantly having to enter/exit shops or buy/cancel items or whatever.  Section 7 of that guide is what I'm interested in and I'm quoting the relevant parts below, edited for spacing and simplicity.

Spoiler:
Armor Deals:
Breast Plate  - Beginning

Helm Deals:
Magic Hood - Beginning

Shield Deals:
Wood Shield - Beginning

Weapon Deals:
MorningStar - Beginning
Long Spear - Beginning
Thorn Whip - Dwarf Key obtained

Alkemist Deals:
Mithril Ore - Beginning
Miracle Herb - Beginning
Magic Mirror - Dwarf Key obtained
Earth Hammer - Level 60+
Shock Box - Level 70+
Ogre Flute - Level 80+
Black Box - Level 90+

I've found these PAR codes for allowing specific items to be sold but it is a kludge and they don't appear in Deals but in the regular item sales sections.  This isn't what I'm looking for.  I'm trying to unlock the 'Deals' with some consistency.

TLDR:
-Unlock the Breast Plate, Magic Hood, Wood Shield, MorningStar, Long Spear, and Mithril Ore deals at the very beginning of the game.
-Unlock Miracle Herb deal as soon as you get party members
-Unlock Thorn Whip and Magic Mirror as soon as you return to town upon obtaining the Dwarf Key

There are many talented hackers here who may have looked through the game's code/assembly so I was hoping for some insight on how these unlocks are triggered and how to 'force' them to be triggered (or what sequence is required to do so).

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: [HELP] Shining in the Darkness Hacking -- Unlock Shop Deals
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 05:49:26 am »
I have not looked at the game as a hacker before not or as I type this opening reply.

Inserting them into shops is a way of doing things, I am not sure how this game will play it though -- it is a single shop used throughout the game rather than new ones for every town, though it could just as easily be effectively new shops with flags for dungeon levels you reached/characters levels you reached and swapped out. What I might look to first though is I imagine it will be quite similar to the hidden debug/cheat menu stuff and ultimately it will just be a simple flag that is checked as you are exiting the shop. If you can trigger said flag to always be present without having to do the hidden combo then that could work, though probably not to the extent you want -- you will have to attempt to exit the shop but you would not have had to fulfil the other conditions for it.

That said working it up into a full hack would be the better thing in the long run.

obscurumlux01

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 10:35:50 am »
Your reply is a bit confusing.
There is only one 'town' in the entire game.  There's a handful of shops and the ones with 'Deals' are the Weapon/Armor/Alkemist shops.  And yeah they officially spelled it with a K.
I get what you are saying about flags.  I was hoping someone had poked through the assembly code here and would uncover the situations that unlock specific items.

From general testing it seems the 'Deals' flag is usually triggered based on certain conditions like the number of times shop is visited, whether you tried to buy/sell anything, whether you completed the action, and so on.

I was hoping a hacker would be able to take a look at the assembly code as a challenge, if nothing else.  It is something uncommon to work on Genesis/MegaDrive games rather than NES/SNES stuff.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 02:47:06 pm »
I do not know how well Shining in the Darkness has been documented, though the later Shining games have their fans so it is far from impossible someone has pulled this apart.

I know there is only one town but from a code perspective it might have been easier to have effectively different shops for each "level" rather than a whole bunch of ifs run every time and generate a listing. At this point in time you were likely still looking at hand crafted ASM though so who knows.