News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Jim Power background scrolls the wrong way  (Read 5425 times)

Erockbrox

• View Profile
Jim Power background scrolls the wrong way
« on: November 19, 2014, 11:10:17 pm »
Hi, I recently came across a game called Jim Power for the SNES. Footage of the gameplay can be found here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tN_TPTIrYs

However the background in the game actually scrolls the wrong way. Yes, so when you are walking forward with the character the background also scrolls forward too.

I think this was done on purpose or something to try and add a 3D effect or some kind of gimmic to the game, but it seriously is logically wrong and gives me a headache.

Does anyone know how hard it would be to fix this and to make the background scroll the right way?

I would think that it would be rather easy because all you have to do is find out what speed the bg is scrolling at and then just do the negative of that.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: Jim Power background scrolls the wrong way
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 12:21:56 am »
Sorry. I can't help. :( I'm just here to say: Wow. That's strange. At first it seems really cool but at the same time it's kind of disorienting. I bet it made the jumps more confusing.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 12:43:05 am »
Actually, there is a prototype version with a Buck Rogers license that does it the "correct" way.
(while it might seem odd to make a '90s game with a '50s? license, it seems there was a more contemporary tie-in?)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 02:01:12 am »
That's hilarious. :D

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 09:22:00 am »
(while it might seem odd to make a '90s game with a '50s? license, it seems there was a more contemporary tie-in?)
There were numerous Buck Rogers games out at the time, possibly because TSR got the license.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck_Rogers
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 12:19:43 pm »
Actually, there is a prototype version with a Buck Rogers license that does it the "correct" way.

A lot of weird stuff from that time period. The 3 Stooges, Wizard of Oz, stuff like that.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 06:33:21 pm »
A lot of weird stuff from that time period. The 3 Stooges, Wizard of Oz, stuff like that.

That remake of Leave to Beaver was the worst.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 07:24:02 pm »
Hi, I recently came across a game called Jim Power for the SNES. Footage of the gameplay can be found here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tN_TPTIrYs

However the background in the game actually scrolls the wrong way. Yes, so when you are walking forward with the character the background also scrolls forward too.

I think this was done on purpose or something to try and add a 3D effect or some kind of gimmic to the game, but it seriously is logically wrong and gives me a headache.

Does anyone know how hard it would be to fix this and to make the background scroll the right way?

I would think that it would be rather easy because all you have to do is find out what speed the bg is scrolling at and then just do the negative of that.

It was actually designed with a special pair of glasses in mind. Case in point: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Power:_The_Lost_Dimension_in_3-D
Relevant bit:
Together with the 3D glasses that were packaged with the game, designed around the Pulfrich effect, this provided a unique "3D" experience for the time when polygonal 3D graphics were rudimentary and too expensive to implement.
Current Projects: On hold indefinitely.
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)
Mistress of the RHDN Discord server.

Erockbrox

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 08:37:42 pm »
^ I see I see.

So it was supposed to be a 3D gimmick after all.

Well, it stills scrolls the wrong way regardless if its in 3D or 2D.

I would love it if someone talented enough could hack the game and make it scroll the correct way.

henke37

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 08:55:43 pm »
It really should be a simple calculation tweak. The layers are looped, so the exact position doesn't really matter.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 09:11:53 pm »
^ I see I see.

So it was supposed to be a 3D gimmick after all.

Well, it stills scrolls the wrong way regardless if its in 3D or 2D.

I would love it if someone talented enough could hack the game and make it scroll the correct way.

Well, one could track down the prototype ROM and compare that probably.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Josephine Lithius

• THE WORLD IS MINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 10:23:31 pm »
Sorry to bump this topic, but after almost a year... someone actually did fix this game!

The downside?  You're gonna have to pay five bucks to get it.

The MS-DOS and Super NES versions of Jim Power - The Lost Dimension are available on Steam in a single bundle and, according to the developers themselves, the Super NES versions (both the original and the "Enhanced Edition" with the correct parallax scrolling direction) run under a licensed version of SNES9X, so chances are, the actual game ROMs are hanging around in there somewhere.

Just thought I'd toss this up here, in case Erockbrox or anyone was still interested!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 01:04:06 pm by Doc Lithius »

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 06:02:19 pm »
A hacked rom for sale? That's nice.
But I think the best part is the fabled unreleased Sega Genesis version in finished form :D

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 07:05:22 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 12:07:58 pm by Chpexo »

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2015, 01:09:24 am »
Well, it's not exactly a "ROM hack"; it is presumably a legal, licensed copy of the game, so you can play it without worrying about bad karma, or something.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!