News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Need quick help on Hyrule Magic.  (Read 7621 times)

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
Need quick help on Hyrule Magic.
« on: October 08, 2015, 11:53:50 pm »
Hi,

I need a quick help on Hyrule Magic.

I’m trying to restore the unused Sanctuary entrance doorway for the Sanctuary on a hack I’m working on, but I’m having a problem getting it to work right. I tried one thing and I went through the door and walk right to the bottom wall of the Sanctuary and I’m stuck in the building. I tried another thing and I went through the door and it put me in a dark room with no way out. Is there something I need to change with a hex editor to get the door to work right? The door object I’m using uses the numbers 2F and 30 of the Sanctuary door objects.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: Need quick help on Hyrule Magic.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 12:08:23 am »
I'd PM Puzzledude or Seph. I don't recall which, but I know either one or both of them have made a hack with this entrance included.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 12:18:27 am »
Alright,

I'll PM them so they can help me on this.

Thank you.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 05:34:31 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 12:09:43 pm by Chpexo »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 07:15:55 pm »
Zeldix.net is where puzzledude and SePH go on and it specializes in Zelda III. If you have any other questions, it would be best to go there.

Yeah and that site is chock full of Zelda III resources too. Awesome site. Highly recommended.

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 11:36:43 pm »
Zeldix.net is where puzzledude and SePH go on and it specializes in Zelda III. If you have any other questions, it would be best to go there.

I checked it out, it's a pretty cool site.

Thanks for the info Chpexo.

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 06:19:52 am »
Yes, I believe we talked about this on PM also. As far as I can tell, you want to use the fancy door object 2F or 30 specifically, in the sanctuary as an exit. But this will not work. The game will by default not allow these doors for exiting the house or the sanctuary - even Hyrule castle is questionable. This fancy exit was designed for all the pendant and crystal dungeons and usually if you enter on bg1. I believe 3rd pendant is entered on bg2, probably why the object 30 was programed in the first place.

I can only recomend you to use the door object 02B in the sanctuary with exit-definition-door 033 for this exit to work. You see the problem is that the room above the sanctuary is bg2, after the Mantle is moved, its bg1 again (which is otherwise impossible - you can not go through the door and switch the bg, but here it happens).

So you see the first room uppon entering the sanctuary and the first room uppon entering Hyrule castle... these 2 rooms have some orthodox programing - that's why they probably refuse the dungeon exits 2F and 30.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 06:38:10 am by puzzledude »

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 08:24:52 am »
Yes, I believe we talked about this on PM also. As far as I can tell, you want to use the fancy door object 2F or 30 specifically, in the sanctuary as an exit. But this will not work. The game will by default not allow these doors for exiting the house or the sanctuary - even Hyrule castle is questionable. This fancy exit was designed for all the pendant and crystal dungeons and usually if you enter on bg1. I believe 3rd pendant is entered on bg2, probably why the object 30 was programed in the first place.

I can only recomend you to use the door object 02B in the sanctuary with exit-definition-door 033 for this exit to work. You see the problem is that the room above the sanctuary is bg2, after the Mantle is moved, its bg1 again (which is otherwise impossible - you can not go through the door and switch the bg, but here it happens).

So you see the first room uppon entering the sanctuary and the first room uppon entering Hyrule castle... these 2 rooms have some orthodox programing - that's why they probably refuse the dungeon exits 2F and 30.

Alright,

I just though it would have been possible to restore the unused entrance doorway for the Sanctuary, it's not a big deal.

Thank you all for helping me.

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 08:48:45 am »
Mannaged to come up with the solution though.

The game will allow this door combination in the sanctuary!
Door object 02F on position 7,
and the exit will work - but this will require for you to also move the wall lower.

And you can see, that the door gfx matches with bg2 wall. This means you need to put the bg2 wall much lower than normal to match that, and the bg1 wall far to low - and partially off-HM-room-screen (this doesn't break the game though).

You can clearly see that the game was not designed for this, but it works nevertheless - a bit forced out.

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 09:15:29 am »
Awesome.

How do I move down the door and the bottom wall and how far do I need to move them down? I know how to move the side walls, but I don't know how to do the rest.

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 09:52:45 am »
Moving door: select with mouse and then press num4 on the keyboard to change the positions (you need pos7). And you need the door type 02F. (bg3 is checked under edit)

Moving walls - nothing much - with the mouse - pretty much like you move the icons on the desktop - but you need the correct bg checked. In this case the lower wall is on bg1, while the upper wall is also on bg1.

Lower wall is matched with the exit door, upper wall comes on top of it so that the lower wall covers its frame - otherwise a passage from wall to floor.

Try to take this room apart on a test rom to see how walls are made - normal wall and the "deep" or lower wall - to achieve the depth of the room (you know the lower area when you use the indoor steps).

Try to learn from this picture and see what is wrong and what needs to be done for it to be right.

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 11:01:33 am »
I followed your instructions and the doorway works perfectly now.

Thank you very much for helping me on this.

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 11:57:56 am »
Nice, also because of this thread
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,20518.0.html

I'm leaving forum for a while and I also blocked my personal messaging. Don' try to contact me, I won't be there to see it.

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 11:19:59 am »
I ran into a problem from using the Hyrule Magic editor for my hack I'm working on, apparently the editor messes up monologue #371 (the ending sequence text) where the last part of the text gets cut and it won't let you type it back in.

Does anyone know the hex values for the ending sequence text so I can restore the missing text by using a hex editor.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2016, 08:11:03 pm »
I ran into a problem from using the Hyrule Magic editor for my hack I'm working on, apparently the editor messes up monologue #371 (the ending sequence text) where the last part of the text gets cut and it won't let you type it back in.

Does anyone know the hex values for the ending sequence text so I can restore the missing text by using a hex editor.
Sorry to bump this, but I am also running into the very same problem as SCD.
The text is cut off at the end and there's not enough space to manually write it in with a Hex editor.

I have tried ZSE (Zelda Script Editor, simply crashes and closes when I try to add it), adding it with Hyrule Magic (no luck, it keeps deleting the last portion of it) and also with Black Magic (which gives me errors upon importing the script, making it impossible to import that line back).

Anyone has any clue about this?!
It's driving me insane!

The starting point for that particular text is at 0x0762DF in a headerless ROM.
It starts like this:
7A 02 6D 00 6B 02 16 1E
In which 7A is the Speed, 6D is the position and 6B is the window, the [16 1E] is the start of "Welcome".
The whole text finished at 0x7664E with the END code for ALttP [7F].

If someone could shed some light about this, I'd be really grateful!

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2016, 08:27:41 pm »
Have you thought about shortening some of the preceeding entries or even replacing some that you might not be using (like the Chris Houlihan message) with something like "void" to free up some space?

EDIT: Somewhat related. You may find this thread interesting:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,21188.0.html
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 08:33:17 pm by SunGodPortal »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2016, 08:45:45 pm »
Have you thought about shortening some of the preceeding entries or even replacing some that you might not be using (like the Chris Houlihan message) with something like "void" to free up some space?

EDIT: Somewhat related. You may find this thread interesting:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,21188.0.html

Tried that too.
No luck.

I tried simply opening a clean ROM in HM, saving it and them loaded it up.
The ending text was cut off.

Even worse, it still does the same thing, for some reason the rest of the text is not written, and in the HEX data, it ends with the letter "h" of "hands" and immediately continues with the next message in the monologue, leaving no space whatsoever to even put it the rest there manually.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2016, 08:53:45 pm »
Hmm. I personally have never had to deal with this one yet, but I have worked on Bruce Campbell vs Ganon and that ROM does not suffer from this problem. You might want to open it up in a hex editor and compare.

EDIT: I tried an older version of HM to see if it had the same problem and it did. I'm not sure how KGP4death found a way around this because I never thought to ask him. I haven't heard from him since maybe June or July. Last emailed him in August. He disappears like that.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 09:06:09 pm by SunGodPortal »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2016, 09:25:13 pm »
Hmm. I personally have never had to deal with this one yet, but I have worked on Bruce Campbell vs Ganon and that ROM does not suffer from this problem. You might want to open it up in a hex editor and compare.

EDIT: I tried an older version of HM to see if it had the same problem and it did. I'm not sure how KGP4death found a way around this because I never thought to ask him. I haven't heard from him since maybe June or July. Last emailed him in August. He disappears like that.

I think I made it work.

Here's what I did:
I grabbed a clean ROM and went to the point where the two ending texts differ, it's at 0x0767FB (headered) and 0x0765FB (headerless) for the original ROM, and in my hack I had the "in your ha" text at 0x076A18 (headerless) and 0x076C18 (headered).
I copied all of the "hands..." and the rest of the text in HEX. From there on, I copied all of the text that wasn't there back in after the last space [59], deleting the "h" in the process, since the original ROM had a control code of B1 which equals "ha" for "hands".

I put the missing text back in and making sure that I had a [7F] code at the end of the Triforce's text and just before the starting text of the Toppo, which is "All right! Take it, thief!". That line is the next one immediately after the Triforce's text.

Okay so after that I ended up with 52 additional bytes.
I scrolled down the ROM a little bit until i ended up in a portion of the ROM where there are a lot FF in there which seem to be doing nothing at all.

I have to delete 52 bytes from those FFs, otherwise the ROM won't even boot due to data shift when I pasted the missing data back in.
After that, I loaded up the ROM and did the glitch to complete the game in under 3 mins...
It worked.

The text after the Triforce sequence seems to be good too.
I have tried talking with the Drunk Man in Kakariko's Inn and he gives the normal text he should give by default, the same went for the Cukeman (Buzzblob sprinkled with Magic Powder) and he gave me the Sahasrahla's text that he should.

I am only trying to find a Toppo to finally put this to rest, but I can't seem to find one.
I want to try out specifically his text because that is the text right after the ending of the Triforce sequence.

But so far so good... I guess.

EDIT:
Just found a Toppo...
IT WORKS! :D
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 11:25:30 am by ShadowOne333 »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2016, 09:35:06 pm »
The fastest way I know of to test the ending is to simply place a hole in the top right corner of the front room of Hyrule Castle and then remove the Ganon sprite from the room before the triforce. As soon as you enter the castle you can drop through the floor into the final boss room, Link will raise his sword and after a few seconds the doors to the triforce shrine will open. It's even quicker if you drawn over the castle gates so you don't have to go into the hole under the bush outside.

I am only trying to find a Toppo to finally put this to rest, but I can't seem to find one.
I want to try out specifically his text because that is the text right after the ending of the Triforce sequence.

The Toppo is mislabled as "Bunny". In my hack of HM that was one of the sprites where I chose not to go with the official name because it didn't mean as much to me as "GrassJumper". LOL