News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Need quick help on Hyrule Magic.  (Read 8146 times)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Re: Need quick help on Hyrule Magic.
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2016, 09:39:04 pm »
I find the glitch to clip through walls way faster than having to edit the rooms with HM. :P
But yeah, don't know why but apparently what I did seems to be working just fine.

Good grief... I spent the whole day on that shit. O.O

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2016, 09:45:49 pm »
But yeah, don't know why but apparently what I did seems to be working just fine.

Good grief... I spent the whole day on that shit. O.O

LOL Yeah. That's how it goes. At least now someone else can view a solution for the problem when they need it.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2016, 10:05:07 am »
I found another workaround for this problem.
One that doesn't involve HEX editing and can be done within Hyrule Magic itself:

We can replace all of the long spaces in message 371 with [Scroll].
The ones between [1],[2] and [3], which are written:

Code: [Select]
[3]First text[Speed 01][Waitkey][1]                                  [2]                            [3]                           [Speed 02]Second text[1]
To fix the problem with line 371, you should replace those lines with [Scroll] like this:
Code: [Select]
[3]First text[Speed 01][Waitkey][1][Scroll][2][Scroll][3][Scroll][Speed 02]Second text[1]The problem is that due to the spaces, Hyrule Magic doesn't save any text after a certain amount of characters, it has some sort of character limit per message.

If anyone writes message 371 that way, Hyrule Magic DOESN'T delete the text after "hands", and it successfully writes the complete text like usual. So everytime you open up Hyrule Magic next time, the text will be there now!
The only difference is that now the text won't be deleted like it did in the original game (deleting letter by letter before going into the next lines of tet). Instead, it now scrolls up and then the following lines of text will be written like if it were a normal text, and it goes by somewhat faster now I think.

It looks nice and unless you see the true ending side by side, you won't tell the difference at all.

Greetings:
Shadow

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2016, 01:19:24 am »
I tried that method, it did let me add the missing text back to the game. But it screws up the ending credits, I think the missing ending text problem that is caused by using the Hyrule Magic editor is something that should be addressed in the Zeldix.net forums.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 01:27:02 am by SCD »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2016, 01:38:45 am »
I don't recall it removing the text from the game, it just doesn't show up in the editor because HM sets an arbitrary limit on how long the dialogue entries can be that this one entry is far too big to adhere to.

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2016, 01:47:10 am »
What happen is it did fix the text in the ending, but it screws up the screens of the ending credits. It didn't show Hyrule Castle on the first screen but after that everything is alright. But after the Smithy screen, the screen goes black and stays black and I think it also crashes the game as well.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2016, 01:53:51 am »
Ahhhh. Are you sure you didn't remove some of those "exits" on the overworld that had numbers in the 1000's? They may seem random but they are actually the starting point for the camera scrolls during the ending sequence.

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2016, 01:58:26 am »
No, I didn't remove any of the exits. This problem happened after I tested that method to get the missing text back to the ending screen.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2016, 02:07:13 am »
Did you check to see beforehand if it was really gone or did it just not show all of it in the editor and you assumed that it was gone from the game?

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2016, 02:23:52 am »
I don't know, all I know is it screwed up the ending credits screens and I'm not going to use that method to restore the missing text anymore. I think that method screws up some of the offsets and hex values of the ROM.

Maybe this is something you should try and fix in your unofficial update to Hyrule Magic and get rid of the bug that screws up the ending text in the monologue section of the editor where it will no longer cut some of text out.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 02:46:40 am by SCD »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2016, 02:50:36 am »
I don't know, all I know is it screwed up the ending credits screens and I'm not going to use that method to restore the missing text anymore.

If I understand the situation correctly from my experience with Hyrule Magic, the text does not actually get removed from the game, it just doesn't show the entirety of that particular message in the editor because of a programming oversight. The author set an exact limit on how long each of the dialogue entries could be but apparently forget that there was that one entry that actually exceeded that limit. This is particularly funny considering that all of the following dialogue entries start and end exactly where they are supposed to. He knew where it ended but somehow he set the limit too low for this one entry. For that reason, not all of it shows up HM (despite still being in the game). That said, I am almost certain that if you leave it alone this text will not actually be effected in-game.

Maybe this is something you should try and fix in your unofficial update to Hyrule Magic and get rid of the bug that screws up the ending text in the monologue section of the editor where it will no longer cut some of text out.

I probably won't be making any changes of this sort to HM as that is far beyond my skill level. Hacking the sprite and item menu was a piece of cake. Fixing bugs/programming errors in HM would be a nightmare even if I had the skills because the source code will never be public. The sad reality is that the bugs in Hyrule Magic will never be fixed. We just have to find ways to deal with them. There's little else we can do. My starter patches are a good example of this. I can't fix HM so I had to hack the ROM in preparation for HM to compensate for it's short-comings.

vortex

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2016, 06:33:43 am »
I tried that method, it did let me add the missing text back to the game. But it screws up the ending credits
Not really, the problems are not connected. That method by Shadow is the best possible solution to the problem and was used in Parallel Worlds - and as you can see the ending screens work as well.

If you give the game more space (make the monologue shorter) it can only be beneficial, since the game has more empty space to work with. The only code affected when editing monologues is the monologue code itself and some pointers code for monologues, as well as camera shake code, which has nothing to do with the ending screens.

Your rom simply got bugged for who knows what reason. There is also a possibility of HM making a severe bug (for no reason) when editing monologues - runs out of space and removes 40 or so monologues completely (not displayed at all - in HM and in the game). In such cases the rom is good for deletion.

There is also a problem with this Triforce monologue in general, since it is too long. Which basically means touching this monologue and saving can destroy the rom (like in your case). It is not smart to tuch this monologue at all, or if you do - then empty it completely first and write something new, which is of "normal" (allowed) length.

And no one can fix that issue of HM without the source code, which is unavailable for this bugged program.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2016, 09:43:45 am »
Looks like I arrived late at the party. :P

In any way, you did one of those steps wrong, because I can go into the credits without any issues using both the glitch method to finish the game in less than 3 minutes and the proper way by loading the ROM-> Enter Pyramid -> Defeat Ganon.

I tested this with the ROM in which I HEX edited the portions of the monologue for the Triforce and it's all working correctly.
If you are somehow getting glitches in the credits then perhaps you did not delete the 52 bytes I deleted after the data bank for the monologue is over.
I counted exactly how many bytes I added for the Triforce message, and then simply deleted the exact number of bytes from the closest free space of the ROM to compensate for that and to not screw up any other addresses in the ROM.

I tested it rigorously, the whole credits and also tried testing each monologue that comes after the Triforce one, and they all showed up fine.

So perhaps what @vortex says is true, maybe you corrupted the ROM in some form or another.
The HEX edited ROM with the fixed monologue was NOT opened up again with Hyrule Magic, so maybe it is screwing up some parts of the ROM.

Sucks that the project's source is not available to fix these kind of problems...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 10:56:18 am by ShadowOne333 »

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2016, 10:55:06 am »
Alright, I'll try the method again later. Maybe I did something wrong.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2016, 03:43:23 pm »
Best solution: Unless you REALLY need to change this one particular piece of dialogue, just leave it alone.

rainponcho

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2017, 04:55:41 pm »
Patched SunGodPortal's Hyrule Magic version with a monologue expansion. Supposedly will work up to 1MB of text. It _looks_ like it works, at least in the editor.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/xfqeiv

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2017, 05:21:12 pm »
Patched SunGodPortal's Hyrule Magic version with a monologue expansion. Supposedly will work up to 1MB of text. It _looks_ like it works, at least in the editor.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/xfqeiv
WHAT?! 1MB of dialogue?!
Holy crap I don't even think there's enough NPCs to set that much dialogue into haha.

rainponcho

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2017, 06:39:03 pm »
Should've mentioned that it's targeted at the #371 issue. Fixed (?) per request; released as it seems important enough to many HM users.