News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Undertale  (Read 8491 times)

Mew seeker

• What are you doing there!?
    • View Profile
Undertale
« on: October 08, 2015, 08:17:15 pm »
Have you heard of Undertale?

It's an rpg-like game (the battle are part, um, shoot-em-up dodging-like?) made by Toby Fox,
a person who apparently made music for Homestuck.
He asked 5000$ on kickstarter to make the game, got 50 000. Now it is out.

That game is awesome! The music is great, there is a lot of details put into it and while it's short, there is little to no padding.
While you can fight your opponent, it is also possible to win battles peacefully, offering the choice to the player to do whichever.

The story goes like this : in the past there has been a war between humans and monsters.
The monsters lost and were forced to live in the underground.
Now, a child fall into said underground and has to find his way out.
I am not sure if it's correct to say the game is an emotionnal rollercoaster but it definitively has its moment.
It also throw a few curveball at you and in this regard could be compared to Earthbound.

Also, the final battles are epic. ^^

Anyway, I am a big fan of the game and wondered if anyone else here tried it?

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Undertale
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 12:38:55 am »
I've been hearing good things about it – but heck if I'm not waiting for it to go on sale first.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Rhys

• View Profile
    • CN
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 02:27:49 am »
This is an absolutely incredible game, I can't recommend it highly enough. The story is really deep and your actions have a direct influence on what happens, which is really nice to see.

I loved the Earthbound-style influence that Toby put into the game, and he has a great sense of humor. Nice to see something like this come out!

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 07:55:05 am »
I've been hearing good things about it – but heck if I'm not waiting for it to go on sale first.

I second all this.  It looks great from what I've seen, but I wouldn't have time to play it right now if I did buy it.  I will totally jump on this thing once it goes on sale though

I feel like that's the 1 benefit to grad school sucking away all my freetime--I can now afford to wait until literally everything on my Steam wishlist goes on sale before I buy it.  Even Hylics, which is only $3. (Which looks super weird and fun btw if you're into that)

Mew seeker

• What are you doing there!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 07:56:17 pm »

I didn't wait for a sale. It wasn't expensive and seeing all the fanart it generated would have sooner or later spoiled me the game. XD

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 11:55:11 pm »
I didn't wait for a sale. It wasn't expensive and seeing all the fanart it generated would have sooner or later spoiled me the game. XD

What can I say--Steam has turned me into a giant D Bag when it comes to properly supporting decent game makers.

If I didn't have school, my willpower probably would've collapsed a few days ago--I've listened to some of the soundtrack, and TBH, I'd buy it just for that.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 10:38:25 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 12:05:37 pm by Chpexo »

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 12:48:21 pm »
alphys is my spirit animal

MisterJones

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 03:48:02 pm »
You mispelled undyne.
_-|-_

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 05:07:10 pm »
you don't know me very well do you lol

Deets

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2015, 05:22:49 pm »
I just picked up Undertale and can say it's okay. I personally don't like the sense of humor in this game and the gameplay is innovative yet lacks depth. It doesn't help that you only play as one player. I'm not going to hate people for loving the game though as I can see why. It's clearly a game to play for it's story.
Curious to know how you feel about it when you're done.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2015, 06:51:30 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 12:03:38 pm by Chpexo »

swinezig

• Too lazy to finish Droiyan 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 03:47:44 am »
I didn't play the game yet, but I wonder if you can convince me otherwise.

So far I only listened to the soundtrack and checked a few screenshots. Ofc can't say anything about the gameplay or writing, but soundtrack is pretty unimpressive (prolly okay in-game, but obviously it already receives a con for being unable to hold up outside of the game), and screenshots are rather uninformative.

I don't care much about C&C and storyfaggotry, so my question is: are there any other 'selling points'?
Kissyface.

MisterJones

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 12:33:33 pm »
Play the demo and dont have us to be faux pr which we are not. Whoo!
_-|-_

Deets

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 01:51:53 pm »
What's "C&C"?

The demo isn't entirely representative of the full thing (there are significantly more random encounters in the demo, for one) but if it doesn't engender any goodwill or strike you as even slightly charming then yeah, probably not the game for you.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 03:48:44 pm by Deets »

swinezig

• Too lazy to finish Droiyan 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2015, 02:58:08 pm »
Play the demo and dont have us to be faux pr which we are not. Whoo!
There is a demo? My bad, didn't notice it. Gotta give it a try.

What's "C&C"?

The demo isn't entirely representative of the full thing (there are significantly more random encounters, for one) but if it doesn't engender any goodwill or strike you as even slightly charming then yeah, probably not the game for you.
C&C = choices & consequences. Crammed into almost any "RPG" today.
Kissyface.

Deets

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2015, 03:34:33 pm »
Oh. Yeah. The choice and consequences in this game Actually Matter in a way I don't think I've seen another game even try to attempt. That (along with the characters/music/pacing/writing/etc and the grandmaster level at which they are employed, plus how personal and sincere everything feels) is what folks are losing their minds over. YMMV etc.

MisterJones

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2015, 03:51:22 pm »
The c and c is not a binary choice in a  dialogue window tho. each different ending requires a semi thorough set of actions performed for each to occur.
_-|-_

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2015, 05:29:52 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 12:00:57 pm by Chpexo »

Deets

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2015, 07:11:24 pm »
The game's writing is basically like Japan's visual novel genre where you're decisions affect the dialogue ever so slightly and effect which ending you get.
This is really selling the ramifications of your decisions short. The game's events and tone change radically depending on how you approach it, and not in a "okay, which of these 3 menu options do you pick at this arbitrary juncture" sort of way. It's incredibly perceptive and well thought-out, and I can't imagine the kind of time and planning that went into keeping all of the connections straight -- especially since this is effectively a one-person project.

I've also seen the "it's like Earthbound" line a lot, with the implication that Undertale is a pale imitation of another game series, but I can't stress enough how much it's really doing its own thing here.
If you hate a lot of story and play RPGs for their gameplay this game is not for you.
This is really interesting to me, since I thought Undertale had much better gameplay than any JRPG I've played... maybe ever? In terms of doing interesting things with its mechanics, subverting expectations, and keeping you constantly engaged, it's definitely up there with some of the best. If you consider "gameplay" to be number crunching subsystems, then you're going to be disappointed, but what's actually there is really, really strong.