News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

FinalText - a Final Fantasy II text editor

Started by Chaos Rush, October 02, 2015, 11:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaos Rush

FinalText is a program I made with Visual Studio in order to allow me to easily edit the text of Final Fantasy II, as I want to do a retranslation of it and not have to worry about hex editing and manually calculating pointers.

It supports the following:
Final Fantasy II - Japan
Final Fantasy II - Demiforce Translation

I have not added support for the USA Prototype ROM because it has a different way of text formatting. Instructions on how to use this program are provided in the download.

Features:
* view and edit battle text
* view and edit NPC messages
* view and edit item, spell, and enemy names
* support for dual-text encoding

Screenshots:

Download: https://www.mediafire.com/?bz6bvnl15esvf38

Note: The name codes {FIRION}, {MARIA}, {GUY}, and {LEON} will not actually show up in-game as 'Firion', 'Maria', 'Guy', and 'Leon, respectively, unlike the text preview in the editor, but in-game they will show up as whatever you named those four characters.

Current issues:
* for some reason any text bytes that are encoded by 0xF0 to 0xFF won't show up properly in the text editor. This is not a huge issue in the English ROM because those bytes are 'squish tiles' that typically aren't used in dialogue text, but if you're editing the Japanese text it's an issue as those bytes represent the ラ, リ, ル, レ, ロ, ワ, and ン values, causing names like ヒルダ (Hilda) to show up as ヒダ. Again, this is not an issue if you're just going to use the 0xF0-0xFF symbols for squish tiles. However, it will compile correctly as the katakana characters will still show up in the editor of you manually type it in.

Hopefully this program raises interest in hacking (fixing) this potentially great game (FFII has its issues but it also has potential), in addition to helping out people who want to make their own translation.

Rodimus Primal

While I'm glad someone made a new editor, I hope this doesn't mean you've given up. I can understand with real life getting in the way it can be challenging, but I still see great potential in an update translation for the game.

Chaos Rush

Quote from: Rodimus Primal on October 03, 2015, 12:01:31 AM
While I'm glad someone made a new editor, I hope this doesn't mean you've given up. I can understand with real life getting in the way it can be challenging, but I still see great potential in an update translation for the game.
Not at all, I fully intend to finish what I started. Yes it will take a while because of real life, but I made this tool for the very purpose of making the job easier, and I said from the beginning that I'll release the tool once it's at a state that I'm satisfied with (which it is now).

Googie

Thanks for making this, I can play around with the Demiforce Translation for sure. I can probably make some sort of comedy style story to this game... :cookie: 

Vanya

Sweet this should greatly help with some translation stuff I've been meaning to check on, but not feeling like playing all the way through the game for. Thanks!!