News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: New Hacks Added to the Database  (Read 4706 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: New Hacks Added to the Database
« on: October 07, 2015, 08:02:33 am »

Update By: RHDNBot

This is an automated message generated by ROMhacking.net's RHDNBot.

The following Hacks have been submitted and approved to the database (in submitted order oldest to newest), most are VirtualBoy hacks:

Relevant Link

B.B.Link

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: New Hacks Added to the Database
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 04:26:01 pm »
Wario Land SNES is very disappointing. Throw blocks instead of dashing through them? SMW power-ups instead of Warioland powerups? Can't hold enemies above your head? (there's a patch for that). Also all levels can be accessed at the start. Was that intentional?

Its nice to see a color version of one of my favorite GB games but the limitations of SMW held this back.

Turambar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 04:42:58 pm »
Wario Land SNES is very disappointing. Throw blocks instead of dashing through them? SMW power-ups instead of Warioland powerups? Can't hold enemies above your head? (there's a patch for that). Also all levels can be accessed at the start. Was that intentional?

Its nice to see a color version of one of my favorite GB games but the limitations of SMW held this back.
I love Wario Land and was interested in that hack, but now I'm less interested.

B.B.Link

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 04:55:03 pm »
I love Wario Land and was interested in that hack, but now I'm less interested.

Sorry. That's just how I felt. I don't blame the hacker entirely, really. The tools and patches in SMW is just not good enough to make a real Warioland-style game. Trust me, I tried. It'll just leave you wanting to play the originals.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 05:45:49 pm »
Sorry. That's just how I felt. I don't blame the hacker entirely, really. The tools and patches in SMW is just not good enough to make a real Warioland-style game. Trust me, I tried. It'll just leave you wanting to play the originals.

Learn ASM. Level editors don't typically add new functionality to games, hackers do.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 05:57:29 pm by SunGodPortal »
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Enk

• Sonny, is that you???
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 06:17:01 pm »
Thanks mangaman3000 for finally removing the voices in Super Mario Advance! It's been a long time coming. Now I can finally do a play through of this version without the repetitively annoying shouts.

B.B.Link

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 06:31:11 pm »
Learn ASM. Level editors don't typically add new functionality to games, hackers do.

I didn't know that :thumbsup: Thanks for reminding of that. That STILL doesn't mean this hack wasn't disappointing. 

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 06:58:39 pm »
I didn't know that :thumbsup: Thanks for reminding of that. That STILL doesn't mean this hack wasn't disappointing.

LOL

EDIT: Oh. So I see that some fellow named "Puzzle Dude" has released a new Zelda III hack. Good to know. ::)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 07:12:04 pm by SunGodPortal »
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 10:55:14 am »

One thing I was interested in seeing was what the Bobo fight was like. Bobo just has one sprite, and it's hardly even a fight. It's really more of a race than anything else, and a pathetic one too. You need to jump over Bobo and then Bobo's sprite floats slowly backwards in an attempt to catch you.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 11:26:06 am »

I thought accessible levels was a good aspect actually (though it looks weird when there's no indication of having beaten a level or not), along with the limitless tackle and the changes to the first boss. But on the whole I agree. Posted my criticisms on the dev's channel as I really would like to see a hack like that done well.

Jump physics - The physics get weird when you hold down the button, as Wario starts semi-hovering in mid-air and therefore falls slower. These physics clearly need work.
Jump height - the shortest distance (from just touching the button) should be shorter, like half of what it is now.
Tackling - It should work more like the original. I like the idea of a limitless tackle but it should be a viking helmet ability instead of the apple, while big wario can tackle for a short distance. You should also be able to tackle while jumping, it shouldn't be canceled. It also feels weird to have be able to pick up blocks, and having this on the same button as tackling. You should be able to pick up enemies, but not blocks, and it shouldn't interfere with tackling. IIRC it was automated in the original for this very reason.
Movement - Speed is too slow by default and too fast and slippery when running/tackling.
Damage through touching - I thought it was weird how I could tackle into a spear and especially a stomping block trap but not walk into the first enemy types as big Wario. You should be able to walk into small enemies at least.
Breakable blocks - They should be breakable through tackling, and from below. This is like the main mechanic of the original so it needs to be in there I think.
Top of ladder tiles - You should be able to walk on them. Combined with the lowest jump height, it made maneuvering on ladders annoying. Players will want to be able to drop quickly, and jump off ladders and pound blocks near them from below smoothly.
Dragon helmet - It should destroy/activate blocks - To not make it OP and to emulate the original one, you could make the fireballs disappear after the second bounce or something like that.
Flight helmet - Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to only let you hover and attack right now? This is a severe downgrade from the original.
Crouching - you should be able to move while crouching. If you can't implement that, levels should be changed so you don't need to get into tight spaces to crush blocks like in level 1.
Animations - I don't get why you chose the "crushed" frame for crouching? The dragon helmet fire animation also needs work. Also, Wario's animation on the world map screen when big makes part of his sprite cutoff at the top, which doesn't look good.
Item switching - It doesn't work, so you can't go back to tackling from using the cape for example. Pretty annoying.

Pretty harsh, sure, but the original is one of my favourites and this felt not as good as either SMW or WL1.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

B.B.Link

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 02:16:59 pm »
I agree it has potential. There are Dash Blocks, and a "ground pound" patch that bashes blocks, and the SMB2 holding patch all on the SMWcentral website. Just scour the site and you can find things to put together a below average Warioland hack from SMW.

Or do like our lovable  ;D and informative  ;D friend SunGodPortal suggested and learn a little ASM for the other shortcomings SMW has.

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 07:05:47 pm »
The Zelda IQ test is a real nice hack :) Thanks for making that Puzzledude! :D

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 06:04:00 am »
Lol thanks. I hope you don't think there is a virus in the package - like some do - lol. I do intend to update it to allow more emulators and than make an submission with the Patch and Readme only (since you never know if you include a patcher - and that thing has the .exe extension... paranoia for the win.

PS
So far the hack survived through 3 deletion flaggings - lol. Reason is the current version can be played only on the emus inside - I thought this wouldn't be such a problem, since Zsnes is in there, and 70 percent of everyone I know are using that for their SNES gaming, the other 30 uses Snes9x.

But like said, will be updated eventually to allow more emus - specially official emu releases - to avoid drama.

Also needs some minor updating - since if you throw your Awesome New Weapon - The Morning Star - into the pond - the Fairy does not give it back - lol. Don't trust the Fat Fairy - she likes your awesome new weapon and decides to steal it.

Lol, maybe I should make like that. Fat Fairy says: "Give me your Morning Star - then you'll get your silver Arrows."
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 06:34:51 am by puzzledude »

CM30

• View Profile
    • Gaming Reinvented (in beta testing)
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2015, 09:11:18 am »

Yeah, sorry about that.  I tried to help the hack's creator to make it better (I ripped the overworld tiles, set up some of the custom sprites and worked on finding various ASM for things like the exit doors in levels), but it's a project that arguably needed an expert programmer behind it.  Unfortunately, the overlap between 'people who are great at SNES ASM' and 'people who are dedicated Wario Land fans' was pretty much non existent.

Still, I do prefer it to most Wario Land inspired SMW hacks, if only because most of them have nothing to do with Wario and feel like they were made by people who's only experience of the guy was Smash Bros.  Most ended up being a yellow and purple Mario running around either vanilla or randomly out of place crossover settings with even less in the way of Wario's original abilities or the series' cast list.  And the level design usually ends up either being a Mario esque 'hop and bop' platformer or a backtracking heavy item carrying snorefest.

But hey, maybe the Kitchen Island world in Mario's Nightmare Quest part 2 might be a bit more accurate.  Maybe.

I thought accessible levels was a good aspect actually (though it looks weird when there's no indication of having beaten a level or not), along with the limitless tackle and the changes to the first boss. But on the whole I agree. Posted my criticisms on the dev's channel as I really would like to see a hack like that done well.

Jump physics - The physics get weird when you hold down the button, as Wario starts semi-hovering in mid-air and therefore falls slower. These physics clearly need work.
Jump height - the shortest distance (from just touching the button) should be shorter, like half of what it is now.
Tackling - It should work more like the original. I like the idea of a limitless tackle but it should be a viking helmet ability instead of the apple, while big wario can tackle for a short distance. You should also be able to tackle while jumping, it shouldn't be canceled. It also feels weird to have be able to pick up blocks, and having this on the same button as tackling. You should be able to pick up enemies, but not blocks, and it shouldn't interfere with tackling. IIRC it was automated in the original for this very reason.
Movement - Speed is too slow by default and too fast and slippery when running/tackling.
Damage through touching - I thought it was weird how I could tackle into a spear and especially a stomping block trap but not walk into the first enemy types as big Wario. You should be able to walk into small enemies at least.
Breakable blocks - They should be breakable through tackling, and from below. This is like the main mechanic of the original so it needs to be in there I think.
Top of ladder tiles - You should be able to walk on them. Combined with the lowest jump height, it made maneuvering on ladders annoying. Players will want to be able to drop quickly, and jump off ladders and pound blocks near them from below smoothly.
Dragon helmet - It should destroy/activate blocks - To not make it OP and to emulate the original one, you could make the fireballs disappear after the second bounce or something like that.
Flight helmet - Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to only let you hover and attack right now? This is a severe downgrade from the original.
Crouching - you should be able to move while crouching. If you can't implement that, levels should be changed so you don't need to get into tight spaces to crush blocks like in level 1.
Animations - I don't get why you chose the "crushed" frame for crouching? The dragon helmet fire animation also needs work. Also, Wario's animation on the world map screen when big makes part of his sprite cutoff at the top, which doesn't look good.
Item switching - It doesn't work, so you can't go back to tackling from using the cape for example. Pretty annoying.

Pretty harsh, sure, but the original is one of my favourites and this felt not as good as either SMW or WL1.

Yeah, you're right with your comments.  Unfortunately, those things require programming skill that most ROM hackers don't have.  Though someone should probably edit those Wanderin Gooms to not do damage to anyone, whether that happens to be Mario, Wario or any other SMW player character.

It's definitely a shame though.
Like Wario?  If so, check out Wario Forums today!

Similarly, want to test a new gaming site?  Check out Gaming Reinvented! Now in beta!