News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Time to test your IQ  (Read 29411 times)

puzzledude

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Time to test your IQ
« Reply #100 on: October 08, 2015, 05:48:34 am »
Lol. It's IQ all the way (playing wise and remapping wise).

Do note: that I own The Patch, not the game itself. Thus the game can never be soled by anyone - unless Nintendo puts it on Wii (they own the original and my additional code is freeware, so they own it all - regarding selling - not the actual author-copyright). Funny part: they (who are the only ones who have the right) will of course not do that.

game to run in the "mysterious" emulator in the first place.
The emulator is Not mysterious at all, the game... maybe (but how can a freakin 4MB global shift= basic definition of basic Exlorom expansion, be so mysterious and controversial).

Hell, even I could recode Snes9x and Zsnes to run Exloroms (if they wouldn't), since I know the code for both very well, unlike for other emus. Plus, I did Not invent this format - I took the existing standard.

October 08, 2015, 06:06:58 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Something to cheer this strange topic up:

PD says: "Link, everyone is upset, the way the game is mapped."
Link says: "Who gives the damn about mapping, Exlorom, DLLs and shit, load the freakin game in the Emu and play it; and give me that AWESOME NEW WEAPON programmed into this - The Morning Star, so I can kick ass."

PS
This is the FIRST ZELDA GAME which uses a Brand new awesome item - the Morning Star, which you can see on the picture above. (otherwise this weapon is used by Morning star knigts in Alttp).

Just saying:
Do you think I'm interested in the exotic 6MB Exhirom format of Fusoya's SMW hack The Legend Continues - no, I play the freakin game - on an EMU on a comp obviously - where the hell am I going to get Real hardware, which was extinct in the 90s or other illegal real hardware clones, or illegal carts/flashcarts. This is nowhere to get, plus his hack is free - carts and hardware is not. Yes, hardware is the devil, stay in software people.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 06:06:58 am by puzzledude »

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #101 on: October 08, 2015, 06:36:15 am »
Hardware or not Nintendo already had an officially approved 6MB standard. If your hack does something that would've been significantly more difficult with the Tales of Phantasia mapper, I can understand.

zhade

• View Profile
    • zhaDe's stuff
« Reply #102 on: October 08, 2015, 07:03:14 am »
Hey kids, did you ever want to just play video games all day and not have to worry about going to school? Well now you can with Puzzledude's Zelda 3 IQ Test TM. Discover how the Universe works while pushing around blocks and come up with your own theories on how to solve the various problems just like Einstein. Tell your teacher to go such on a lemon while pushing your mind to the limits all while just trying to get the game to run in the "mysterious" emulator in the first place.

Once you have beaten the entire game take on the "second quest challenge puzzle" of making a legitimate repro cart that runs on actual hardware. So what are you waiting for? Take on the quest for greatness and download Puzzledude's Zelda 3 IQ Test TM for a mind boggling good time.

Puzzledude's Zelda 3 IQ Test TM and all content related is copyright of Puzzledude 2015. All right reserved. Patent pending. Any and all derivative works that infringe on this IP will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Violators may be charged up to a maximum of $250,000 and serve up to 10 years in prison.

Lol. The installing part is to make it dumb-proof, if you cant follow simple instructions on a readme file, go back to school kids, you aint got enough einstein in you for this :P But seriously, its pretty simple, personally I got an error with snes9x and it crashed but zsnes worked fine and it all didnt really took more time than using an ips patch.

If the "Second quest" is what you are into, have fun, just dont keep people from playing the first one please ;).

Edit:
Btw, the 3rd dungeon with the block puzzles is really nice, the puzzle in the room that SunGodPortal showed is really well thought. At first the dungeon seemed like it would be regular block-pushing puzzles, but this room and some others later use this thing where pushed blocks change the tile they are pushed on and its something I never had to deal with before so I really had to stop and think on alot of ocasions. Its the kind of things I was looking for from a hack called IQ test so im glad I gave it a try :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 07:18:29 am by zhade »

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 08, 2015, 07:13:21 am »
got an error with snes9x and it crashed
Why oh why it works for me and not for others? Copy pasting the EDLL into
C\Windows\System32
should fix this problem.

On my comp this EDLL is being read from the EMU folder itself where the exe is (the way it should be), but if the OS "wants" it in "his" system folder with all the rest of the Dlls, you just have to put this individual file there.

zhade

• View Profile
    • zhaDe's stuff
« Reply #104 on: October 08, 2015, 07:25:35 am »
C\Windows\System32
should fix this problem.

On my comp this EDLL is being read from the EMU folder itself where the exe is (the way it should be), but if the OS "wants" it in "his" system folder with all the rest of the Dlls, you just have to put this individual file there.

I tried copying the dll from the snes9x folder included with the patch to windows/system32 and I still get the error  :-X I prefer zsnes anyway tho

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 08, 2015, 08:19:16 am »
Btw, the 3rd dungeon with the block puzzles is really nice, the puzzle in the room that SunGodPortal showed is really well thought. At first the dungeon seemed like it would be regular block-pushing puzzles, but this room and some others later use this thing where pushed blocks change the tile they are pushed on and its something I never had to deal with before so I really had to stop and think on alot of ocasions. Its the kind of things I was looking for from a hack called IQ test so im glad I gave it a try.
Nice. The dungeon is actually called Block Village. If you can solve this entire dungeon with no help (it really gets advanced and unique later with lovable new ASM mod-blocks), then you can easily call youself a master. You are one of the players, who can really enjoy the sheer amount of intelect needed to make this dungeon/game, since some are concerned with the game's mapping.

Seeeeph

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 08, 2015, 09:45:49 am »
 :banghead:

This thread needs to be trashed.

I've tried but my superpowers are to no avail here!  ::)

xnamkcor

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 08, 2015, 10:46:12 am »
C\Windows\System32
should fix this problem.

I'd rather not put random DLLs in my system folder, especially from the source is someone I trust so little.

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 08, 2015, 11:52:48 am »
I did not make this file, nor the emulator. This is a standard part of the standard Snes9x emulator.

When you instal DirectX, tons of such DLLs are copied into the system folder for your comp to be able to run Video games.

With Original Snes9x official release, it is required to get this file separately (which is even worse) - its the fault of the emulator authors! that you have problems with their program/emu. This is not connected with this game in any way.

I run Snes9x just fine with no problems, since I have all Video game dlls and they are also registered in the REG of the OS.

If you are unable to use an emulator, that has been a standard for SNES emulation for years (and ported to Wii, Mac, even DS), then what can I do.

PS
The DLL file can never harm anyone's computer. You should be worried about EXE files.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 12:14:50 pm by puzzledude »

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 08, 2015, 12:27:02 pm »
The DLL file can never harm anyone's computer. You should be worried about EXE files.

DLLs contain executable code and are just as dangerous as exe files.

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 08, 2015, 12:32:59 pm »
In that case users who are unable to run Snes9x, which I've been using for decade on 4 different computers and 3 operating systems (XP, Win7, Win8), and are DLL-paranoid, can use Zsnes, which doesn't use DirectX enhancement (ie those vicious DLLs).

PS
I was also kind enough to actually include the d3dx9_31 (part of DirectX) installer to be able to run Snes9x in case of problems (it is just in the Zsnes folder).

patuli

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 08, 2015, 02:05:53 pm »
Those Dll are part of Direct X, so instead of providing the dll's and the emulator in the package,
just put a line in the readme, that say "You need to install the lattest direct X in your system"
Put the info for the required emulator, "You need the following emu only"
and a big warning at the beginning "It never run on real hardware, and I will never make it compatible with it"
Everyone make clear their points, no one is going to change it, no matter what arguments "X" or "Y" parts gives.
So this is just a pointless discussion.

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 08, 2015, 03:51:19 pm »
You need to install the lattest direct X in your system.
It's not that easy. When you instal DirectX, all the Dlls go to System folder and with d3d9 and similar names. This emu will rather read this vital file from the actual folder (since it will not work without it), that the emu is in, and it will know to look for (name) EDLL, which is already in there as a part of the emu.

I did this specifically so that players would not have any problems (since now the installation of DirectX should not be neccesary, since the DirectX dll is in the emu folder itself as a part of the emu), but they still do have problems (irony).

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 08, 2015, 04:10:02 pm »
DirectX installation is a bit more complex than just copying a few DLLs.  There are also registry and other system updates.  And possibly some dependency updates.

I would not recommend redistributing individual DirectX DLLs.  The end user should do it right and install the runtimes properly.  Taking random patchwork DLLs off the internet is a great way to trash the stability of your system.

I don't know if this is related to what's-his-face's EDLL.dll problem, though, as I'm pretty sure that DLL is not part of the DirectX runtime.

Not to mention that there could be different types of DirectX DLLs.  Is the one you're destributing for 32-bit or 64-bit Windows?  Win 7 or Win 8.1?  What version of DirectX?  (obviously DX9, but any patches included?)

EDIT:

Software developers typically know what runtimes need to be distributed with their program and which shouldn't be.

You shouldn't be bundling any DLLs with your version of SNES9x that didn't come bundled with SNES9x in the first place.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 04:18:50 pm by Disch »

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 08, 2015, 04:21:11 pm »
And will run on any device, which supports Exlorom. I've just supplied Fusoya's emulators, so players don't need to search for them, since they are the most appropriate choice.
Liar. I searched for FuSoYa's emulators on my own, and your hack doesn't run in them. Well, not the file resulting from the patch under the recommended filename.

I've done a lot of other poking around, but comparing the included ZSNES with Fusoya's ZSNES in a hex editor revealed that the text "zip" was replaced by "sfc", meaning it thinks SFC files are ZIPs. That's the real reason for needing a specific extension.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 04:26:53 pm by Vehek »

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 08, 2015, 04:48:39 pm »
Liar. I searched for FuSoYa's emulators on my own, and your hack doesn't run in them. Well, not the file resulting from the patch under the recommended filename.

I've done a lot of other poking around, but comparing the included ZSNES with Fusoya's ZSNES in a hex editor revealed that the text "zip" was replaced by "sfc", meaning it thinks SFC files are ZIPs. That's the real reason for needing a specific extension.
You are smart Vehek, but that still IS Fusoya's emu, with 3 byte change, and I wasn't lying.
However Snes9x is RR version= official release (which should be obvious and logical since when you run the emu it says Snes9x RR), ie not by Fusoya. This version of Snes9x is based on the old 151 core, which is better in any way, than the new 153, specially regarding sound and percentage speed-ups. But I again changed some bytes= specially regarding the name of the Dll, name of cfg etc, to make it easier to use.

And the hack works in Fusoya's original Zsnes emu also (if you know how).

Do note that file extensions have nothing to do with the actual file code, which remains the same.

Maybe you are the right candidate for picking up my Glove thrown to the cart makers, for bringing the anti-cart lock down.
------------------

Not to mention that there could be different types of DirectX DLLs. Is the one you're destributing for 32-bit or 64-bit Windows? Win 7 or Win 8.1? What version of DirectX? (obviously DX9, but any patches included?)

If we put those DLLs aside for a moment.

Can an user run the official 32bit Snes9x emu?
http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/snes/snes9x.html

If the answer is yes (which means DirectX properly installed and all files properly registered etc etc), then they should have no problems in running the Snes9x I provided with a simple doubleclick on the exe.

PS
I can run everything with an ease: Snes9x 147 (old one), Snes9x 151 (official), Snes9x 153 (official), Snes9x (TAS), Snes9x 153 recoded by Fusoya, Snes9x (Geiger's Debugger!), Snes9x 151 RR (which is supplied for this game - and I have no DLL problems or unstable systems).

Why can I run all that, and on 3 different comps, on XP, Win7 and Win8?

Just saying, people just need to learn how to use the computer, and learn how to run programs properly.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 05:06:53 pm by puzzledude »

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 08, 2015, 05:17:34 pm »
This is a super old post... but I just saw it now:

By the way, I'm thinking of bringing out the so called MIMIC emulator, my own (recoded) personal emulator, which will Not support save stating, cheating and bg layer disableing, to allow players to play, as if on real hardware (litterally!). And of course with ALL freakin mappers! (there's only 4 of them Lorom, Hirom, Exlorom, Exhirom, how difficult is that, seriously). So you can play any SNES hack and game, that ever existed, on it.

Please do.  I would love to see this.

You think you can get 100% compatibility with only 4 cartridge mapping schemes.  I love it.  Please show me.

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 08, 2015, 05:55:22 pm »
You think you can get 100% compatibility with only 4 cartridge mapping schemes. I love it. Please show me.
I would not make the emu from scratch obviously, I would use the Snes9x original source code as a base. Then hack into it by adding Exlorom 8MB support. All other mappers in the memmap.cpp would remain. So it would support all what the original supports, plus this. Main goal however would be to turn off save stating and cheating. But I don't think such a project would have sense, since players want to do just that - save stating (they just feel safe in a game if the emu has this function).

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 08, 2015, 05:59:33 pm »
In this case it's neither recoded, nor personal  :P

xnamkcor

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 08, 2015, 06:11:35 pm »
I did not make this file, nor the emulator. This is a standard part of the standard Snes9x emulator.

When you instal DirectX, tons of such DLLs are copied into the system folder for your comp to be able to run Video games.

With Original Snes9x official release, it is required to get this file separately (which is even worse) - its the fault of the emulator authors! that you have problems with their program/emu. This is
not connected with this game in any way.

I run Snes9x just fine with no problems, since I have all Video game dlls and they are also registered in the REG of the OS.

If you are unable to use an emulator, that has been a standard for SNES emulation for years (and ported to Wii, Mac, even DS), then what can I do.

PS

The difference is is that Direct X is a trusted installer.. You, however, I do not trust. And everything you say stinks if something someone spreading malware would say to try to trick people into running it.

And I've been running SNES9x for about ten years.