News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Utilities: We got some new SNES emulators  (Read 27491 times)

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
Re: Utilities: We got some new SNES emulators
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2013, 04:29:57 pm »
I wouldn't expect much so soon. bsnes was the first ever actual Super Game Boy emulator conceived.

All previous emulators with an "SGB mode" were merely Game Boy emulators who load colors and borders.
They didn't in any way emulate the SNES hardware, or consequently any features that require it. Such as the SGB menus and 16bit game enhancements.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2013, 04:55:46 pm »
bsnes so far is the only SGB emulator. But the last I used it (v088, the last non-folders version. I might try it again when the next version is available.), the actual Game Boy emulation still had a lot of work needed.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2013, 01:26:58 am »
Last time I tried using newer versions of bsnes, the GUI is too lacking to make any use of it. The folders thing is silly IMO, and the new Higan right now copies the entire ROM file and creates its own save files where it pleases. To me this is rather annoying and non-user friendly. I find that SNES9x has too many glitches with Windows (fullscreen not working properly, file association, and downright crashing even with current Direct X installed) and ZSNES is the SNES equivilent of Nesticle, OLD AND OUTDATED! I've been using BSNES v073, the LAST version to use its old GUI and it runs perfectly fine on my machine. You have to tweak its settings to your liking, but I've had no issues with it.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2013, 01:34:20 pm »
ZSNES is far from being nesticle. All games I've tried run in the emulator run fine at full speed and with sound. People might not like the in emulator GUI but it becomes alot better once you change some options, such as right click mouse for GUI and control GUI with controller. People think that not being hardware accurate makes the emulator like Nesticle. Problem is very few systems have hardware accurate emulation. That's alot of Nesticles.

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2013, 05:47:59 pm »
What makes ZSNES like NESticle is not the accuracy of its emulation, but rather the fact that people are producing hacks which only work due to bugs in ZSNES.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2013, 09:40:16 am »
I can't remember for certain as it's been so long, but I'm pretty sure people were producing Nesticle-only hacks/homebrew.
I do recall it being difficult to find certain ROMs for awhile that weren't hacked for Nesticle compatibility (Super C is one example).
The one I can remember is many SMB hacks that continued to use the commonly distributed "no title" bad ROM. (as I recall, it worked because Nesticle zero-filled RAM rather than random-filled). Also, ROMs that continued to work after having headers corrupted by whatever the fuck DiskDude! (and his friends Ni0330 and pir0) were.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

xnamkcor

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2015, 12:28:45 am »
Edit: Hahaha, wrong topic.