News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island Color Restoration Patch  (Read 11645 times)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island Color Restoration Patch
« on: October 04, 2015, 12:38:04 pm »
Good day, community!

Some days ago I released a very early patch about a colour restoration for Yoshi's Island.
However, the patch still had a lot of work to be done since only the first stage was recoloured while there were still sprites with the original palette, and the rest of the levels also had the original palette too.

With that said, I wanted to continue improving on the colour restoration patch I previously posted,and right now I can say that the first world if mostly recoloured to the SNES counterpart palette!

Check out the patch here:
Super Mario Advance 3 - Yoshi's Island Colour Restoration RH's Page

The tools I've been using:
  • VBA-M
  • bizHawk
  • Golden Egg
  • Advanced Palette Editor (APE)
  • SNES Palette Editor
  • HxD(in some cases)

NOTE: The following issues have been fixed as of October 15th, 2015!

There are still some things that I cannot seem to find.
Some of those are things that required the special chip like the Falling Doors and the Rotating Platforms in the first castle, which for some reason I cannot seem to find the palettes for those. Same goes for the sky colors since those are not handled as backgrounds by the game.

Here's a link where I explain that with more detail:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,20481.0.html

And these are the ones I'm talking about:

I am open for ideas and suggestions!
If someone knows a way to edit the palette for the things I mentioned previously, please... PLEASE let me know!
I want this patch to be as complete as possible!

Reference:
Palette data seems to start at 0x2CEFE0 and ends at 0x2D5E80. (For what I've seen so far).
NEW: There seems to be more palette data at 2095E8 and 1A71C8, with other palettes over at 1BXXXX
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 11:16:59 pm by ShadowOne333 »

henke37

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island Color Restoration Patch
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 06:21:24 pm »
Those are 3d objects, are they not? Have you checked where the game stores those?

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 10:41:09 pm »
Those are 3d objects, are they not? Have you checked where the game stores those?

Well I am not sure about that.
But with the MAP viewer of VBA-M you can see that the Background #3 is the one that changes colours along with the 3D object.

As to what's the relation between BG 3 and the 3D object of the falling door...
I am not sure.

EDIT:

I delimited the search of the palettes to where the palette data seems to start:
0x2CEFE0 to 0x2D5E80
In a HEX editor.

I replaced every single value that matched with the one I am looking for between those offsets...
And no dice, the palette for the moving 3D objects is still the same. :/
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 11:51:36 pm by ShadowOne333 »

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 06:14:11 am »
If you're taking suggestions, the title screen logos for US/PAL versions are so much uglier than the JP counterparts. It would be nice to have the originals back.

Granville

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 07:57:48 am »
I probably won't be any help to you whatsoever, I have absolutely no hacking experience whatsoever. However I did go over to BG3 (which seems to be the layer that is responsible for these 3D objects) in the map viewer in VBA-M and found that when you view this layer with the falling 3D door onscreen, you see a black triangle. Triggering the door to fall makes this triangle change colors to a dark shade of tan/brown, which seems to match the colors on the TOP ridge of the door as it falls. Not very helpful of course for the front.

HOWEVER, you can scroll down on the map viewer, and there's actually another triangle that seems to match the palette of the front of the door you're trying to edit, I checked the color values in an image editor and they seem to match. I'm assuming this is also the case for the other similar 3D objects in the game as well.

Here's a screenshot of the map viewer where I found this, just in case it turns out to be any help. t seems to have some statistical information, addresses and palette information that may help you track it down-

Then again you likely already knew all of this and i'm just being a nuisance.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 10:33:37 am »
@GHANMI:
Right now I'm only focusing in the palette restoration.
I might consider that after I am done with the palette restoration.

@Granville:
Yeah actually I did see that. :P
I mentioned that in my previous post:

Well I am not sure about that.
But with the MAP viewer of VBA-M you can see that the Background #3 is the one that changes colours along with the 3D object.

As to what's the relation between BG 3 and the 3D object of the falling door...
I am not sure.

Both triangles have the palette for the 3D objects, and when the falling door drops, both of them change palettes too.

Weird thing is that even then I can't find the god damn palette value for those particular ones!

Granville

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 12:35:58 pm »
I see what you mean now. The sky gradient is also an odd one too, it doesn't seem to have a background, sprite or window layer as you said. Even if you disable all the layers, it still remains.

Not being able to fix the 3D object at least isn't the end of the world if you can't find the values. There are only a couple of instances where the game uses these 3D objects anyways. The only problem is that the falling door stands out from the rest now that you fixed the others.

At any rate, i'm glad to see you're tackling the rest of the palette. I like what I see so far and I wish you luck. Maybe eventually someone will even be able to make a sound restoration hack like Bregalad's FF 4/5/6 projects, fixing the music quality and restoring the original sound effects. Assuming this game also uses the Sappy sound engine, I suppose it could be possible.

The GBA version still kind of pisses me off beyond just the palette and sound. There are a lot of removed visual effects that likely can't be fixed without insane skill and effort. The Fuzzies and the Frog boss' stomach are both missing distortion effects, Kamek's magic effect used to transform bosses is visually reduced and there are even choppily animated tiles and moving platforms. The choppy moving tiles I gather is due to a lack of native "offset per tile" support on GBA (at least I think GBA lacks this feature, don't know if the effect could be approximated in other ways). I think distortion effects were achieved via HDMA on the SNES. Don't know what the GBA's equivalent of HDMA is, but i've seen other GBA and even old GB games that use similar effects. I've even seen similar effects to Kamek's magic in other GBA games (including a boss in Gunstar Super Heroes). Even the Sluggy boss within the same game looks like it uses a variant of the effect. But even though the GBA may be capable, I doubt it would be possible to actually hack any of these effects back into the port...

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 12:38:35 pm »
In the palette offsets I gave you, the one for the BG gradient was specifically for the first level. Are you having trouble fixing that? Also when I looked in the GBA ROM there were more gradient palettes right after that offset.

henke37

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 12:43:46 pm »
The game didn't just use HDMA, it had an entire extra processor. That's what powered all those cool effects.

For the record, I bet that the sky is a hblank effect, specifically changing the background color each scanline.

Granville

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 02:42:34 pm »
The game didn't just use HDMA, it had an entire extra processor. That's what powered all those cool effects.

For the record, I bet that the sky is a hblank effect, specifically changing the background color each scanline.
I'm quite aware of the SuperFX chip. But I don't believe the FX chip was what specifically powered the effects I mentioned. SuperFX added additional processing power certainly, but it was most notable for its ability to allow sprite rotation and scaling (as opposed to just one of the background layers on regular SNES) as well as its polygonal capability. The background distortions I mentioned however (used by the Fuzzies and for the background of the Frog boss) appear to be HDMA effects that the SNES is capable of on its own. Here are some examples of similar distortion HDMA effects running on a stock SNES-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L23b9nKI5I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkNiEmni3XU

But anyways, again I assume GBA can produce a reasonable facsimile to the above effects and the similar ones in Yoshi's Island. I've seen it do so. One good example are some of the battle scenes in Earthbound/Mother2 (the effects of which were properly ported to GBA), as well as Mother 3. SPOILERS kind of, but here's an example from Mother 3-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cDsiN7hOg8

I've even seen similar effects on the original Gameboy. Demoscene stuff as well as Link's Awakening-
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD97C4A13F57D95FC
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF5D75875481C13FD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geikcS9wb90&feature=youtu.be&t=373

GBA didn't need an additional CPU to rotate/scale sprites, it seemed to do that on its own (Gunstar Super Heroes shows how good it was at it). And while I believe it was done in software, GBA also pulled off infinitely more advanced 3D than the SuperFX was capable of (with the likes of Asterix & Obelix XXL or V-rally 3). Which leads me to the conclusion that the SNES can't compete with GBA's processing power even with the SuperFX.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 02:55:46 pm by Granville »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 03:22:23 pm »
In the palette offsets I gave you, the one for the BG gradient was specifically for the first level. Are you having trouble fixing that? Also when I looked in the GBA ROM there were more gradient palettes right after that offset.

Thanks!

I completely forgot about that.
Once I got the hang of how to watch what palettes are loaded with Golden Egg and BizHawk, I stopped following the offsets you gave me to follow that.

Now all the skies and gradients have been replaced with the ones from the SNES palette. :)
So that's one thing off the list (Sky Gradient Fixed).

Although, that still leaves the 3D objects with he washed out palette.
I keep looking and looking without any luck at finding that.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 08:46:48 pm »
Although, that still leaves the 3D objects with he washed out palette.
I keep looking and looking without any luck at finding that.
Maybe you've already tried this, but have you tried something like, specifically in the context of this image:

1) on an unmodified SMA3 ROM, go to the offset that contains the palette bytes of the non-falling doors, seeing as you've found the palette for the non-falling ones
2) find the exact string of bytes within that palette line that controls the colors of the door
3) using a hex editor's search function, search the entire ROM for that string of bytes. If there's an identical one somewhere, it could very well be the palette for the 3D objects

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi\'s Island Color Restoration Patch
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 12:09:17 pm »
@Chaos Rush:

Tried that with no result.
The only result I get is the one I already have changed to the SNES palette.

The palette for the 3D objects might be handled in a different manner, or maybe even have a certain format that jumps each colour, that way they aren't one after the other like the usual palettes.
That's what I think so far.

The other thing might be that they are compressed LZ77 palettes, and I don't know anything about those. :P

October 06, 2015, 06:06:26 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Ok so I feel confident enough to release an update for the patch.

You can get it here:
http://www.bwass.org/bucket/SMA3 - Yoshis Island Color Restoration v2.rar

It's amazing the amount of restoration that the game has seen even though I didn't test level by level.
I only focused in replacing palettes through a lot of bytes and didn't even test the game until a few minutes ago.

I tested up to World 3 and I can say that most (if not all) stages has been restored to the SNES palette!
I didn't test more than World 3 because I just got out of work. :P

So I can say that Worlds 4 through World 6 might have most of the palettes restored for sure!

Check the patch and let me know if you catch anything that might need a fix!

Just remember that I still haven't fixed the 3D objects palette, and some further levels might miss a palette or two here and there. :P
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 10:28:24 am by ShadowOne333 »

Granville

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 09:47:53 pm »
That page says access denied for me. I think the mods removed your project page due to it previously being incomplete. Maybe you can still view it since you're the author of the hack, but i can't reach the page. You might want to contact the staff, or host the patch elsewhere for testing purposes until they get around to fixing it.

The previous patch seemed pretty complete for the first world at least. The only thing I noticed that needed help was one of the layers used in level 1-6 (Shy Guys on Stilts). You may have already fixed this, but since I can't check the newer patch I figured i'd mention it just in case. The cave tileset looks right, but there's an additional background layer that darkens the level and limits your field of view. The surroundings are supposed to be almost too dark to see, and there's just a small circle of light around Yoshi. On GBA this was brightened considerably and makes it too easy to see the rest of the surrounding level. Here's what i'm talking about (it almost appears glitched with how bad it looks)-

There are one or two other levels that use this background layer to simulate darkness. I know for certain that level 6-4 (final world) also uses this layer for darkness as well and was brightened too much-

This layer was much darker on the SNES, as can be seen here-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhcPq5xgdeg&feature=youtu.be&t=65
https://youtu.be/n2AoOW7yISI?t=151

I'm also aware of some other parts that use similar layers to darken the levels, though with less extreme results. There are some areas in level 3-4 for instance-

SNES version for comparison-
https://youtu.be/Pftl2IeMcf8?t=313

There may be some other levels i'm forgetting. I can't test your updated hack right now, but even the intro for the initial Baby Bowser boss starts in a dark room that was also brightened on GBA (you can see Bowser before the boss begins, you aren't really supposed to see him until the room lights up) But perhaps fixing one or two of their palettes with correct the rest as well.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 10:14:36 pm by Granville »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 10:30:07 am »
Damnit, I hate that.

I thought anyone could download files from the Scratchpad here in RomHacking.
Turns out it is like a personal file cloud or in the likes of it.

Here's the download link from ZeBucket:
http://www.bwass.org/bucket/SMA3 - Yoshis Island Color Restoration v2.rar

I have also updated the other links from the thread.
Check it out and let me know anything you find. :)

@Granville:

Thanks for the heads up!
I just checked those levels and they are still somewhat washed out.
I will edit those ones today.

Also, thanks for pointing out exactly what levels are.
This will help a lot in fixing those little pending palettes.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 11:51:24 am by ShadowOne333 »

Granville

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 11:27:23 am »
Thanks! :D

I did some brief testing with your new patch- there are still a number of backgrounds (particularly in World 3 and beyond) that still need fixing. It looks like you got most if not all of the foreground tilesets taken care of (i'd have to do some more thorough testing later on to see for sure), but there are still a number of backgrounds that need work. Seems mostly related to background layers 2 and 3 in the map viewer on vba-m.

There are even a couple of backgrounds in World 2 that have some unfixed palettes. Most are fine, I only noticed level 2-2 having some of the animated smiling clouds near the beginning as being a bit too bright. There's a jungle area at the end of 2-6 that has some issues with the background palette (bg layer 3 I think), several levels in world 3 also use palette swapped variations of this background as well and need fixing. And the final 2-8 level still has some overly-bright background layers as well. Incidentally, 2-8 has some dark areas similar to the levels I mentioned above, I forgot.

I've got work in a bit so I can't do more thorough testing and feedback at the moment. Sorry. But I do suggest that you take a closer hands-on look at more of the levels from World 3 onward when you've got some time yourself. There still seems to be a fair few amount of levels with backgrounds still using the GBA palette. Good luck! If I get some time, i'll try to do some more testing and give you some better details about what levels/parts of levels still need work.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 02:32:36 pm by Granville »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2015, 08:56:21 pm »
Damnit, I hate that.

I thought anyone could download files from the Scratchpad here in RomHacking.
Turns out it is like a personal file cloud or in the likes of it.

No, it is ONLY meant as a TEMPORARY (24 hours) hosting for the purpose of submitting content to the site, for the staff to review it and see if meets the criteria to give it a proper public page.
It was created as a convenience for users to submit content, users who don't have access to their own website, on a server which allows direct linking (the site requires direct link access. No links from file-hosting sites like Mega.)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2015, 05:46:08 pm »
Well I tried stages up to the beginning of World 5.
After that I did some more palette hacking with SNES Palette Editor and APE together, so perhaps that fixed some more palettes after World 5.

Here's the newest patch:
http://www.bwass.org/bucket/SMA3 - Yoshis Island Colour Restoration v3.rar

As for the blackout lights that focus on Yoshi that @Granville mentioned...
The SNES and the GBA handle those differently.

It appears that the GBA doesn't have the same transparency as the SNES ROM.
Check out 2-8 and I think 3-4 or 2-4.
I did the best I could with those two.

Let me know if any of you guys find anything odd or out of place!
And from now on, if there are some palettes still left to be changed, please specify the World and Stage number, along with the Room number to be sure what part is it and change it ASAP.

:D

Granville

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2015, 03:14:31 am »
You definitely improved some of the blackout effects, especially the ones used inside the 2-8 and 6-4 castles. They're still too bright and not really the right colors, but they actually do look quite decent now. Sucks about the transparency effects, probably requires a different kind of hacking to fix that. The ones in the 3-4 castle still don't look right. Same for the ones in 1-6. Can you darken the palette on those layers any more to improve them any like you did with the other castle areas? At least 1-6 especially.

For specific levels, I will attempt to go through a few. Here are some that I found that need some work-

3-1: At the start of the level, the bottom of Background #3 is messed up and still has the GBA palette, the colors visibly don't line up properly with the parts above it. You'll probably be able to tell what's wrong, hard to explain in text. I don't know whether other parts of this background need looking into. I can't tell whether the sun and sky gradient are precisely right, hard to see. It's at least close enough that my eyes may just be playing tricks on me.

2-6: The end of this level right before the goal shares pretty much the same background as the one for 3-1 above. It just uses a palette swap (red/orange instead of the green/blue of 3-1). It suffers from the same problems as 3-1 however: parts of the background still using the GBA palette and not blending in with the rest of the fixed layer.

2-8: Visible near the beginning (after entering the first pipe), some of the stone walls in Background layers 2 and 3 still look a little bright. This is especially noticeable on the purple bricks in Background 2, and the brown bricks in background 3. Not sure about the torches (which switch palettes and are difficult to properly compare). Definitely take a look at layer 2 and 3 there though. These backgrounds seem to be shared by some of the other castles as well.

3-3: The area (all background layers from what I can tell) where Yoshi transforms into a submarine is still using the GBA palette.

3-4: This level also has a hidden submarine section near the beginning of the level, here's a video that shows you how to find the area (same issue as 3-3)-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7MVSMEY-2A

3-7: Yet another sub section, another video showing how to find it (again same as 3-3, these sub areas all seem to share the same tileset and palette so fixing one may fix the others)-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEkjZcGSOh8

5-8: The sky background for the boss arena (background layer 2) is still using the GBA palette.

6-1: This background has the same issue as the ones in levels 2-6 and 3-1, it's at the beginning and easy to spot.

6-7: I'm not sure if anything can be done about this problem. The second part of this level uses a background that resembles the Van Gough painting Starry Starry Night. You do appear to have corrected the palette properly, though your corrections seem to have unveiled a different issue. On the SNES there was an additional sky gradient (changing from black, blue to a yellowish green) behind the star layer that appears to have been removed from the GBA version. On GBA the background is just a bland single shade of grayish purple. I also believe the stars originally had some sort of transparency that was also removed in the GBA port. Looks like they really messed this background up. Unless you can somehow hack back in the gradient and restore the star transparency, it'll remain a mess. Though I do suggest you perhaps change the gray-purple background to blend with the stars, restoring the stars to SNES colors actually made it look very messed up and worse than even the original GBA palette. I don't know why the gradient layer and transparency effects were removed, other levels still seem to combine transparency and gradient effects just fine...shitty porting meh...

6-8 Part 1: This level mostly looks complete from what I can tell. I only noticed a couple of things. The final auto scrolling room before Baby Bowser has a few background columns that I believe are the wrong color. I don't even think the brightness is incorrect, just the color selection. The foreground columns look correct (pink-purple). But the background columns are supposed to be more purple in color rather than pink.

6-8 Part 2 (boss): Baby Bowser's sprite is too bright against the dark background. You're not supposed to be able to see him besides his eyes (which glow yellow in the dark). He needs to be as dark as the background when the lights are off. Also when the room lights up, the background (BG Layer 2) is still using the GBA palette and needs fixing. On the upside, you did fix the palette for the background when the room is dark, nice work!

Intro/Ending related- I think the palettes of the cutscenes are probably correct. The only inconsistency I noticed was the color of the sky when Kamek flies towards the screen in the intro (it's a bit bluer on SNES compared to GBA's purple), not a major thing though. The patterned frame surrounding the scenes however could use a palette fix.

That's all I found for now. Sorry I can't be of more help with your work.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 03:20:53 am by Granville »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi\\\'s Island Color Restoration Patch
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2015, 10:27:34 pm »
Many thanks, Granville, for the feedback!
Let's get to it:

1.- Blackout lights:
As I guessed, the background is being put above everything else.
So even if I put a complete black into the layer, it still is transparent, but not as the SNES version.
I changed the brownish tones of the blackout lights for blue-ish and I also reworked the red blackout lights from 3-4.
Those had to be done from scratch, which means they're completely new palettes not found in the SNES version.
Why?
Well, because the SNES version colors do not work for that particular effect.
If I use the palette for the SNES version I'll end up with even BRIGHTER palette!
Let me know what you think about the new blackout effects. :)

2.- For stages 2-6, 3-1 and 6-1
I know what you mean.
You mean that little change in colours from the clouds/hills with the gradient color at the back, right?
Well, I can't seem to find that particular gradient color. I tried to change it to the color of the above sprite so that it could simply be seen asl one big sprite, but I can't seem to find that one.
This one, along with the 3D objects, is still pending.

If you are kind enough, would you mind writing up specifically which stages show up this behavior?
I know 2-6, 3-1 and 6-1 do, but I would like to know if there are others.

3.- Submarine levels.
The colours have been fixed, although there are some effects (like water light reflection) missing from the GBA port, besides from that you should see the water in a nice palette like the SNES one.

4.- Level 6-8
Well, the auto-scrolling part is a difficult one.
You see, the SNES handles this is a completely different way, heck I even think it uses complete different palettes for it besides from the purple-ish one you mention.
The palettes for the SNES version are handled in the full 16 color row, but the GBA version uses only the first 8 or so colors of each paletter row. Oh and also the SNES version has MORE colors in that palette.
So this one will have to remain as it is right now due to that.

Also, the Baby Bowser colours have been fixed, they now show up properly with only the yellow eyes being the most noticeable thing. :)

5.- Level 6-7:

Oh my...
This is a good one.

It seems like the gradient and the restored colours do not play nicely... At all.
As you mention, there seems to be no gradient at all, only a background color which doesn't even come close to the restored palette.
And as with the first point... I couldn't find this particular color.
So I had to leave the original GBA palette for this particular section in 6-7.
I tried other combinations of colors but the original seems to work out the best compared to what the SNES version does.
So that will be the ONLY exception as far as palette restoration goes, only that section will have it's original palette.

October 14, 2015, 06:22:54 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Updated the patch to v5. :)

Thanks to mangaman3000's help, the palette for the falling door has been found and it now matches the SNES palette!
Here's the updated patch;
http://www.bwass.org/bucket/SMA3 - Yoshis Island Colour Restoration v5.rar

I think the patch is as complete as it gets.
The only issue so far is that of 3-1's sky but that doesn't look bad at all, so perhaps I'll open a new page for the hack this week. :)

October 16, 2015, 06:27:10 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Updated the patch to v6. :)
Fixes some of the pop up messages in-game.

http://www.bwass.org/bucket/SMA3 - Yoshis Island Colour Restoration v6.rar
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 06:28:10 pm by ShadowOne333 »