News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: New Translations Added to the Database  (Read 5275 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: New Translations Added to the Database
« on: September 28, 2015, 11:50:45 pm »

Update By: RHDNBot

This is an automated message generated by ROMhacking.net's RHDNBot.

The following Translations have been submitted and approved to the database (in submitted order oldest to newest):

Relevant Link

Lilinda

• View Profile
Re: Translations: New Translations Added to the Database
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 07:03:15 am »
Lots of nice stuff this round, and the best 16-bit Spider-Man game got a translation. :D At last...
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

gorgyrip

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 05:58:53 am »
Lots of nice stuff this round, and the best 16-bit Spider-Man game got a translation. :D At last...

I don't think it's an actual translation. At the intro there is a lot of japanese text and the english text is very short.

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 06:10:23 am »
Too bad that the fonts used aren't consistent in the dialog balloons. Is there a way to fix it?

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 06:08:37 pm »
I don't think it's an actual translation. At the intro there is a lot of japanese text and the english text is very short.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Any chance you mispatched it?
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 10:01:49 pm »
Keped did a great job of translating The Amazing Spider-Man: Lethal Foes, but I wish keped used uppercase letters for all the dialog in the game because it's looks weird that the lowercase letters are standing straight while the uppercase letters are tilted to the right. Including using uppercase letters for all the dialog in the game would give it a more comic book feel to it.

kepeb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 10:22:51 pm »
Hey Guys,
Glad some people have discovered Lethal Foes because of this.
It plays just fine in Japanese but it's nice to have English text :)

gorgyrip: Must be a problem with your rom, there is no Japanese text left in the game.

Re: font/ capitalization.
They are consistent, there are only one set upper, one set lowercase within the rom.
I can take a look at this when I get some time, should be simple enough.

cheers guys

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 10:51:27 pm »
@kebep: Like SCD said, maybe use ALL CAPS for the dialog balloons to replicate what the comics mostly used. Also, no COMIC SANS font? :)

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 02:42:01 am »
Re: font/ capitalization.
They are consistent, there are only one set upper, one set lowercase within the rom.

The real issue here is that the uppercase is italic. The lowercase, on the other hand, is not. It creates a really quite nasty visual clash. Really must recommend you pick one or the other ;) No need to make it all caps; just redraw one of the fonts.

gorgyrip

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 03:45:31 am »
My english it's not that great. Sorry about that. Yes, the rom has been patched correctly. Also there isn't any japanese text left. What I was trying to say: the original japanese text compared to the english text it's a lot longer and as you know, when translating from japanse to english, the resulted text it's about 50% longer at least. Also, the first textbox in the unpatched rom has the english text DR. (doctor) between the japanese characters. there's no mention of "doctor" in the english version.
My question to kebep: has the text been translated or has been made up/invented?

kepeb

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 08:22:59 am »
Cheers guys, Like I said I will get back in and have a look at the font as soon as time permits.
I understand the points and they are duly noted :)

Hey gorgyrip,
Thanks for the reply and questions.
I think I see what you mean. Being multi-lingual yourself.. I would hope you understand that, not only do some things have no literal translation, but trying to compare Japanese to English grammar won't get you far.

To better answer some of your questions here are some details on what I found and why some of the choices were made:

The verbose nature of the original texts 'direct' translation would have probably doubled for the English equivalent, Correct.
However this did not make it concise or easy to read for an English speaker.

After having this explained to me, and with the limitations in my ability (first hack!!) I decided early on to not mess around with the pointers or expanding the rom for even more text (guaranteeing a glitch fest).

The original text bubbles are all interleaved with onscreen events (Spiderman and other characters moving etc.) this all remains intact from the original rom.

Not being a language student myself, I had the help of a friend who 'gave me the gist' on each section so I was able to choose the best phrasing or synonym to fit the exact existing text space without breaking the game.

hope this helps.

gorgyrip

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 10:50:05 am »
I understand now. Thank you for your answer.

swinezig

• Too lazy to finish Droiyan 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2015, 12:14:13 am »
So, Chinese version of Majin Tensei is already out with more stuffies in English than in original MT2. Guess there's no point waiting for the full English translation, since I don't care much about the story, and pre-leveled characters in the Chinese version will let me get back to the point where I had to stop playing.
Tee hee.
Kissyface.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2015, 09:14:19 am »
What's this? Darkwing Duck in Japanese?
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2482/

It happens to be the only translation into Japanese from any language currently posted on RHDN. :o
I don't know if it's the first-ever completed project, or if others are in progress / stalled / canceled. Could be more on message boards over there.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2015, 12:08:39 am »
Cheers guys, Like I said I will get back in and have a look at the font as soon as time permits.
I understand the points and they are duly noted :)

Hey gorgyrip,
Thanks for the reply and questions.
I think I see what you mean. Being multi-lingual yourself.. I would hope you understand that, not only do some things have no literal translation, but trying to compare Japanese to English grammar won't get you far.

To better answer some of your questions here are some details on what I found and why some of the choices were made:

The verbose nature of the original texts 'direct' translation would have probably doubled for the English equivalent, Correct.
However this did not make it concise or easy to read for an English speaker.

After having this explained to me, and with the limitations in my ability (first hack!!) I decided early on to not mess around with the pointers or expanding the rom for even more text (guaranteeing a glitch fest).

The original text bubbles are all interleaved with onscreen events (Spiderman and other characters moving etc.) this all remains intact from the original rom.

Not being a language student myself, I had the help of a friend who 'gave me the gist' on each section so I was able to choose the best phrasing or synonym to fit the exact existing text space without breaking the game.

hope this helps.

I was going to write a quick review on this when I first played through it but decided to allow time for feedback first. I think getting the gist WHILE keeping true to the Marvel character was important. Spidey tends to banter a LOT so this fit perfectly. I do hope you can fix the font of the game since it does look weird, and some grammar can use some work. Spider-Man is ALWAYS a hyphenated word and there needs some punctuation fixes here and there.

Playing through it in English was awesome though. I finally was able to enjoy it without wondering what was going on!