News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy I (NES) - Sprite Editing  (Read 19295 times)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy I (NES) - Sprite Editing
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2015, 09:26:37 pm »
It looks like my memory of a patch is correct.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Shokupanda

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2015, 04:09:50 am »
Thank you very much for the patch!!  :)

Unfortunately it doesn't work for me. When I encounter a battle now the game freezes. I probably messed up somewhere.
So what I did is I typed in the hex numbers at the correct adress. Since I didn't know what's meant by "0F/FACC - 0F/FAEF is now a converted sea of FF" I let these hex numbers from 0x3FACC - 0x3FEF
be and one time I filled it with FF. Both didn't work for me. It ends up with the game freezing as soon as I enter battle.
What did I do wrong?  :huh:

Thanks in advance!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2015, 11:23:58 am »
Those addresses are probably the address without header (you were right about the ROM bank). Undo those changes are re-enter $10 bytes (due to the header size) later (start at $3FAB6)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Shokupanda

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2015, 11:50:26 am »
Yay, it works now!!!  :laugh: Thank you very much for your help!  :thumbsup:

Edit:

Does anyone of you know why in the US version of Final Fantasy they edited a lot of the sprites? I do understand that church/clinic thing, but why these unnecessary sprite edits?

Left japanese version, right US version.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 02:14:48 pm by Shokupan »

Lenophis

• Discord Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2015, 01:28:45 am »
Code: (THE GODDAMN README) [Select]
ROM addresses: 0F/FAB1 - 0F/FAF0

Ok, maybe those aren't the true addresses, but this is for the hard-wired bank,
which translates to the addresses above. File offsets are 0x3FAB1 through
0x3FAF0. Add the 0x10 byte iNES header for both afterwards.

As for the sprite changes, I don't recall where I saw it, either here for the Cutting Room Floor, but the sprite changes were basically nonsensical and I don't think anybody knows why they were done.

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2015, 03:54:14 am »

Does anyone of you know why in the US version of Final Fantasy they edited a lot of the sprites? I do understand that church/clinic thing, but why these unnecessary sprite edits?
Could you edit this sprite sheet so it is actually useable ? The sprites are in 16x32 format, so it should be possible to see them in a nice or almost nice setup. Also I didn't notice any difference so you'd have to highlight the difference you want to show us.

Shokupanda

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2015, 06:52:53 am »
As for the sprite changes, I don't recall where I saw it, either here for the Cutting Room Floor, but the sprite changes were basically nonsensical and I don't think anybody knows why they were done.

Yeah, I think so too. Maybe thay just changed them because they'd look cooler that way for the american players.

Could you edit this sprite sheet so it is actually useable ? The sprites are in 16x32 format, so it should be possible to see them in a nice or almost nice setup. Also I didn't notice any difference so you'd have to highlight the difference you want to show us.

It's okay, I already edited all the sprites to how they look in the original japanese version. But if you're interested, here are some differences:

Shokupanda

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2016, 06:57:28 am »
Hello again!

I'm working on the Final Fantasy Restored version now so I can have longer monster and spell names.
I did quite good so far, but here's something I don't understand:

The class select thing is at a totally different offset than it is in the original.
Which is fine I guess, but it makes me wonder: Where did 'Thief' go?

Also I changed the class names (except for Thief) to my favor but it's not working properly since I've got to change the pointers too.
Does anyone know where I can find them? Thanks in advance!

May 11, 2016, 07:56:25 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
No one?  :-\
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 07:56:25 am by Shokupan »

Shokupanda

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2016, 08:40:28 am »
Can no one help me?  :'( I'd really like to finish this translation...
(I found out where the 'Thief' and 'Monk' went, but still got no idea where to search for the pointers...)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 09:19:43 am by Shokupan »

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2016, 11:46:01 am »
Hello,

I think that unlike the messages that are displayed on screen, class and spell names as well as item names used fixed length. At least this is sure for spell names, which are all 4-letters long in the original. This is very short but for japanese language it is enough. If you want longer names, you have to resort to more advanced hacking and/or using "graphical DTE" as they call it, that is having multiple letters per hardware tile.

As such there is probably no pointer to each individual spell name in the game, but rather the pointer is caluclated internally. You'll have to find the 6502 ASM routine that handles this and hack it.

You'd want to look at Dish' disassembly, it'll tremendously help in order to hack the game to re-arrange the screen to allow longer spell names.
http://www.romhacking.net/documents/401/

PS : I am surprised that there's no German translation of FF1 already ! There is at least 3 translations in French I think.

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2016, 11:53:51 am »
I can tell you quite literally anything you need to know about FF1.  I've explored every detail of that game.

But problems stemming from working on top of someone else's hack?  Sorry.... I'm no good there.

Dish

:laugh: I have to ask, Bregalad -- you never ever seem to spell my name right.  Is that on purpose?  It doesn't really bother me, I just find it confusing and interesting.   :laugh:

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2016, 05:19:54 pm »
No, this is not on purpose. Usually the "sch" combination is only used in german language, that's why.

Shokupanda

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2016, 09:50:51 am »
Thanks for your answers, guys!
Thanks to Bregalads explanation I understood there are no pointers for spell, classes etc. that I could easily change but instead their pointers are caluclated internally.
Since I've got no clue about real hacking I did as Bregalad suggested and used graphical DTE.
So this is how it looks now.  :)

Another problem I got now is when it comes to spells.
For some reason I get this kind of 'error message' when I try to fill the spell ("Eisga") up to 7 characters with 'space' (which is what I have to so the spells are always displayed properly).

What's odd about this is is that 7 characters worked perfectly fine for every spell before this one. Then again, this error message occurs for every spell after this one too. They can only have the amount of characters I gave them when I translated them without filling up to 7 characters. In the original "Final Fantasy Restored" version every spell has 7 characters too, so I'm wondering why it's not working for me. I mean as you can see I even have 26 KAB left.
Can someone help me?

Thanks in advance, guys!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 01:16:10 pm by Shokupan »

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2016, 04:03:50 pm »
It's been a LOOONG time since I did anything with Hackster.  In general, trying to use it on a comprehensive hack that changes a lot of fundamental workings of the main game is.... "dangerous"... to say the least.

I'm not sure what's up with the KAB reporting, but IIRC Hackster complains/warns if you step outside of the text area in the original game.  Which it considers to end at offset ~$2BFB3.  Since your text is AFTER that (starts at $2BFB4), it's freaking out.

Honestly if you're using FF Restored or some other big comprehensive hack -- you're better off not using Hackster at all, as it's more likely to mangle your ROM and screw up things than it is to actually do what you want it to.  You'll probably spend more time wrestling with it and/or fixing things it broke than you would if you just used generic text editing techniques and tools.

Keep in mind Hackster was written like ~15 years ago, in a time where these kinds of "big" hacks pretty much didn't exist.  So it is not at ALL prepared to work with them.

Shokupanda

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2016, 09:13:55 am »
Thanks for your response, Disch!

So what I did now is that I used the hex editor to achieve what I was looking for. But I don't know if it'll working properly cause we're talking about spells you get really late in the game...
Soooo... do you have any idea how I could change the starting point so that maybe I can start in one of the last towns of the game where I can get spells like Ice3?
Just to check if it the spell is displayed correctly and everything is working as expected.

As always, thanks in advance!

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2016, 10:24:37 am »
You can still use Hackster for that.  It will only make changes related to the sub-editor windows you go into.  So you can go in the overworld map editor and move the player starting position to be near a later town and it should be fine.

Though if this is just a temporary thing for testing, I would make a copy of your ROM and use Hackster on that.  Then once you're satisfied the names work properly, throw the copy away and go back to using the ROM that Hackster never touched.   (Just to be safe)

Shokupanda

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2016, 04:23:50 pm »
Thanks man!

Did that and it looks like it works!! I've tested it in the shop in menue and in battle. The spells are all displayed correctly. So happy!
I've got another question. Maybe you can help again?

I'd like to use the sprites that say 'Rüstung' (Armor) which would be 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 if I'm not mistaken.
But when I put those numbers in hex editor, I get mashed up graphics instead of these sprites.

Do you have any idea how I could access these sprites? Because if I can't, I have to write "Rüst." instead, which I dislike.

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 04:34:42 pm by Shokupan »

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2016, 04:58:47 pm »
Values below 7A are DTE codes.  So 75-79 don't correspond directly to tiles -- but instead get expanded to two different characters.

Shokupanda

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2016, 05:26:20 pm »
Hmm, but the same happens when I use 7B - 7F  :-\

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2016, 05:41:27 pm »
7A-7F are probably being loaded from a different graphics block.  Look at the PPU viewer in FCEUX and see what those tiles are.  They're probably different from what you're seeing in TLP.

The screenshot from TLP you posted looks like the item screen.  Different tiles are loaded for the main menu.