News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Tilemolester messing up 8BPP SNES palettes  (Read 2069 times)

VicVergil

• View Profile
Tilemolester messing up 8BPP SNES palettes
« on: September 19, 2015, 12:42:30 am »
So there's that one SNES RPG storing its title screen background as an uncompressed 8BPP. Figured out it's the concept art but with ugly-as-sin PS1-era CGI overlayed on top, so I wanted to fit the original art back in the game.

I load the ROM in tilemolester in 8BPP mode right where the graphic needs to be changed.
I make a ZSNES savestate of the title screen (for the palette). I load it in tilemolester.
The graphic shows exactly as in-game.
I export the graphic and open it with Photoshop, indexed color.
I fit in the original art.
Photoshop does the dithering to that color limit, and surprisingly well visually speaking.
I use Paste From in tilemolester.
The graphic (which has some red in the beginning followed by more than a few dozen shades of blue) is now inserted but the problem is that as soon as I scroll down the graphic is utterly victimized.
The palette is horribly messed up and replaced with some reddish colors from the first lines in the 256-color palette.

I'm at a loss what to do to circumvent this problem.
Any advice?
Or good alternatives to tilemolester that can edit 8BPP graphics using palette data off save states or stuff like that?

tl;dr: noob question for how to modify 8BPP SNES graphics, preferably without having to manually input 256 color values

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
Re: Tilemolester messing up 8BPP SNES palettes
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 11:06:47 am »
I would just edit it in the tile editor.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 01:26:26 pm »
Not sure if this is the case, but it sounds like the palette isn't properly set in Tile Molester, so it's using the default one it has on hand.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 03:03:00 pm »
Not sure if this is the case, but it sounds like the palette isn't properly set in Tile Molester, so it's using the default one it has on hand.

The reddish colors that are in the bugged graphic exclusively come from the first lines in the ZSNES palette, not the default palette.
The problem is that it seemingly just sort of ignored the rest of the colors and forced those reddish colors on all of the graphic.

henke37

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 07:00:50 am »
You can only have one palette active at a time. Switch to another palette if you don't like the current one.