News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Zelda - Bruce Campbell vs Ganon 2.0  (Read 13408 times)

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: Zelda: Bruce Campbell vs Ganon and the Deadites
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 05:45:30 pm »
Okay. I see what's going on here. It was translated to something that the hardware understands. If you don't mind, in what other situations would such a translation be necessary when hacking this game? I'm just curious. I guess any pointers that we input manually but what else?

I'm glad you mentioned SNEStuff. Seems like I heard about it when I was just getting started on Zelda III but it wasn't relevant at the time, so I never downloaded it. Now I finally need it.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2015, 06:02:50 pm »
It was translated to something that the hardware understands. If you don't mind, in what other situations would such a translation be necessary when hacking this game? I guess any pointers that we input manually but what else?
Basically everything, since the pointers are all over the place. Imagine you have lots of (different) data, so you obviously need to know when to "go" to specific "data blocks". For instance the hurting pits are just 114 bytes, out of 1MB (million bytes). So that needs one pointer.

Each data for any of the 295 rooms needs one pointer (1 for each room). Ironically all such pointers again need a primary pointer. So the authors decided to tell the "machine" to first go to the area for all the room pointers and then "jump" to each individual room (data only). Similar for header, items, sprites data etc etc.

Same for overworld areas etc etc. This is basically mandatory to know/learn, specially if you write ASM, where you also need to know where to jump to your new code. Usually all addresses in ASM are Snes addresses (only this time you actually write them out, they go to little endian after the assembly with xkas).

To save space, the pointers are sometimes 2byte only, since they are all in the same 8000 bank (and the 3rd value of the 3byte pointer would be identical, so it is loaded only once). Sometimes the 2byte pointer refers to the ofset from 1 address (to save space again).

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 07:32:08 pm »
20 heart damage pits sound waaaaaaaay better then the glitch rooms. Makes sense for a bottomless pit to insta-kill you, plus if you have bottled fairys you can actually get a second chance at going through the room.

I actually kind of like the random message box that pops up at the beginning, although the message IN the text box gets very repetitive very quickly. Since it's Bruce Campbell is who we're running around as, it would be more amusing to just see one of his one-liners pop up. "...Groovy."

Hell, if the text for item descriptions were left unchanged those could be changed to other liners and save some space plus add some more of that
Evil Dead feel.

Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2015, 08:11:49 pm »
20 heart damage pits sound waaaaaaaay better then the glitch rooms. Makes sense for a bottomless pit to insta-kill you, plus if you have bottled fairys you can actually get a second chance at going through the room.

Yeah it always bothered me when I got stuck between walls and stuff. The bit about the fairy never occured to me. That's great.

I actually kind of like the random message box that pops up at the beginning, although the message IN the text box gets very repetitive very quickly. Since it's Bruce Campbell is who we're running around as, it would be more amusing to just see one of his one-liners pop up. "...Groovy."

I thought it was funny. The very nature of the hack was pretty unfriendly (even without the bugs) so a message popping up insulting the player seemed fitting to me. The fact that it was SO obnoxious just made it better (because I could envision other, more conservative players being offended by it). But really there isn't much point to it on a practical level. So, even though I myself think it is funny, for the sake of overall quality it's getting the boot and will be replaced by nothing. When you're on the way to rescue Zelda there will be no message popping up over and over again. Sorry folks. My email address should be in my profile if anyone is wondering where to send their hate mail. :)

Hell, if the text for item descriptions were left unchanged those could be changed to other liners and save some space plus add some more of that Evil Dead feel.

The text in general will refined.

March 12, 2015, 01:22:17 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Finished the Eastern Palace the other day. Here's a screenshot from a test drive of one of the new rooms. Notice the new numbers at the top.

Just started on Hyrule Castle. I expect to have it finished and move on to the Desert Palace in the next day or so. The castle and Desert Palace don't need near as much work as the Eastern Palace did. This is starting to move along pretty quickly. It's still too early for me to give an estimate for release but it's moving right along.

I'll probably start working on the title screen GFX pretty soon too. Rather than trying to improve on KGP's title design I'm gonna see if I can change "ZELDA" to "BRUCE" and then go from there.

That's all for now. See you in a few dungeons.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 01:22:17 am by SunGodPortal »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: Bruce Campbell vs Ganon 2.0
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2015, 11:09:53 pm »
Well, I guess it's about time for an update. I've actually been working on two very different versions of this game. One is focused on bugfixes for the existing version of the game. The second is a sort of re-imagining that's kind of a separate project.

As for the bugfix edition, the holes that would previously cause Link/Ash to be "teleported to a game over dimension" no longer do so. They now hurt you as they are supposed to. I'm going to try to fix a few other problems, maybe polish up a few things and shoot for an updated release within the next 2 weeks.

At the very least... No more getting stuck between walls!!! :D

This game hasn't been updated in almost 6 years. LOL

PS: No more dildo message!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 12:54:47 am by SunGodPortal »

kgp4death

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2015, 11:09:24 am »
Thanks SunGodPoortal the alpha copy played very nicely and things look very good for the bug fix version......Think everyone will like this way better than the way i originally made it.....we will talk via email on what we would like to include in a release.
New Game Lttp Hack "Bruce Campbell Vs Ganon and the Deadites" 
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCng4ekfGAc
My website: http://kgp4deathromsite.no-ip.org

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2015, 01:10:42 pm »
...Groovy. 8)

I'm gonna have some fun when this one's ready!
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2015, 05:33:28 pm »
Thanks SunGodPoortal the alpha copy played very nicely and things look very good for the bug fix version......Think everyone will like this way better than the way i originally made it.....we will talk via email on what we would like to include in a release.

No problem. Thanks for making such a fun game in the first place.
EDIT: I know it couldn't have been easy given the only available tools.

...Groovy. 8)

I'm gonna have some fun when this one's ready!

This version should be much more manageable. I played it for a few hours last night on a real SNES. Wouldn't have dared to do that before. Didn't even have the option before. Now, not a problem.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: Zelda - Bruce Campbell vs Ganon 2.0
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2015, 09:05:50 pm »
Sooo... It's been about a week since the previous update and there have been many new developements so I figured it was time for another update.

First of all, KGP now has a more active role in the project. Much more active. That's great. Hacking Zelda III solo sucks. Plus, KGP has many skills that I do not.

At the time of the last update I was expecting to tackle a few more tasks and then have a release ready within two weeks. I think it's safe to say that the previous deadline is now out the window. With a second (and very skilled individual) on the project, the scope of this release has broadened a bit.

After fixing the bug world problem (thanks to people like Puzzledude and Conn) I was just going to clean up the text a little, make a new title logo and maybe a few minor alterations to Ash/Link. I am currently rewriting much of the dialogue and making new sprites for the chainsaw (hopefully) and shotgun (surely) that are in the works. You know, just standard ALttP hacking stuff. Nothing special. KGP is working on the non-graphics side of that as well as some cht files that can be used with the game for different modes (like hard, etc.).

I'm not really sure when we'll be done but I'll see you around...

kgp4death

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2015, 12:47:33 am »
just want people to know this was released go check it out here or google it.......please check it out and leave a review in rom hack section, because all reviews were for old version.
New Game Lttp Hack "Bruce Campbell Vs Ganon and the Deadites" 
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCng4ekfGAc
My website: http://kgp4deathromsite.no-ip.org

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2015, 12:57:03 am »
Yes. Do.

Great game.

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2015, 10:40:12 am »
I'm going to check it out!   :thumbsup:

What editing tools did you use to work on this project?

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2015, 11:02:46 am »
Where can I find the hookshot? I cannot find it before the castle.

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2015, 01:51:08 pm »
Where can I find the hookshot? I cannot find it before the castle.
Spoiler:
Move the block in your house for the chest-appear.

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2015, 03:55:16 pm »
Spoiler:
Move the block in your house for the chest-appear.
Darn... And I tried to bomb myself to the big chest. Thank you nontheless. :)

September 23, 2015, 01:47:20 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Now I need the magic boomerang for the key in the swamp palace, but I cannot find it. Also since the flute is not in this game, how do I get to the Misery Mire?

Edit: Nevermind... That hidden floor switch in the dry water area was a matter of luck. And now my playthrough is done.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 03:58:03 pm by Thanatos-Zero »

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2015, 09:17:01 am »
Roughly how long does this take to finish? I'll check it out when I'm done with Freedom Planet.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2015, 06:25:13 pm »
Roughly how long does this take to finish? I'll check it out when I'm done with Freedom Planet.

I'd say as long as the original. It has the same amount of dungeons and stuff. If it gets to be too much for you, try the HP hacks for ALTTP here on the site. I'd suggest starting with 10 or 20 hearts + a GG code for infinite bombs. Don't feel bad about cheating. It was kinda designed with that in mind. Though if I remember correctly you may have to remove the header before applying any additional patches. It's been a while but I may have forgotten to remove it before making the most recent patch and pretty much any improvement patches you find for ALTTP are designed for a ROM with no header. Doh!

Enjoy.