News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy II: Refurbished  (Read 60857 times)

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy II: Refurbished
« Reply #180 on: June 22, 2016, 12:04:12 am »
Good news guys:

EDIT: v1.4 release: https://www.mediafire.com/?uapm0z0sct98fcb

I am now considering this project done, but I'm going to look into making patches to fix the bugs that the vanilla game has (such as HP, MP, and money not being capped and rolling over to 0 when surpassing 65535), and maybe I'll get around to making that easy mode patch too.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 12:22:19 am by Chaos Rush »
Sole developer of STARLIGHT LEGACY intended to be released on Steam.
Discord: https://discord.gg/fTS5Q78

zfreeman

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 22, 2016, 12:12:13 am »
Beautiful.

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 22, 2016, 06:18:31 am »
Perfect. If I could combine this with the NeoDemi fanmade title screen, it'd be a dream come true.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 23, 2016, 02:51:59 am »
Sorry for releasing two updates in a row, but here's v1.5! http://www.mediafire.com/download/6e0u7tgjt614naa/FF2+Retranslation+v1_5.zip

v1.5 fixes the intro so that it says "PROGRAMMED BY NASIR" instead of "PROGRAMED BY NASIR"

In addition to that, v1.5 also fixes some bugs that were present in the original game related to stat caps.

This project looks extremely in-depth. I have a number of glitches that no one ever seems to mention, but that I have wanted to see fixed in this version of the game for a long time. They all involve the lack of stat capping.

1. HP and MP are not capped. HP can go over 9999, and MP can go over 999. When they do, the digits look messed up. Also, when HP and MP go over 65535, it "rolls over" to 0. In the remakes, HP and MP are properly capped at 9999/999 respectively.

2. GP/Gil is not capped. It can go over 9999999, and when it does, the digits are messed up. When gold goes over 16777215, it rolls over to 0.

3. Inn costs are not capped. When the inn price goes over 65535, it rolls over to 0. This can only be observed when your HP and MP for everyone are over 9999 and 999, because normally inn costs won't reach those levels.

No one talks about these glitches, because no one gets their stats that high in a normal run. In fact, I'm the only person I know of who has ever leveled HP and MP above those numbers in a normal playthrough. Still, this is not only abusable, but potentially game-breaking. Here's why: Say you have 65437 HP and 99 Vitality on a character. Say they gain HP in their next fight. Their HP will be 65536, but 65535 is the maximum, so instead it will roll over and they'll be stuck with 0 HP. That character is now permanently zombified and can no longer be used. They can't ever gain HP again, and are stuck with 0 HP. Pretty extreme example, but it's something that can result from not having HP capped.

I love the NES version, and I particularly love the process of grinding, but without stat caps, I have no motivation to do so. If these are fixed, I will consider the version THE definitive version of FF2.
I know that I'm replying to a months-old post, but I've got great news for you! v1.5 takes care of these problems! HP and MP are now capped at 9999. Now, even though MP is 'supposed' to be capped at just 999, the game uses the same routine to update these values and I couldn't find out a way to specifically cap MP at 999, so MP will display weird numbers after 999, but at least it will never rollover to 0. Of course, HP is now capped at 9999 like it's supposed to, and displays properly and all. I wrote a routine that simply checks what these values are after level up and if it's higher than 9999, then it lowers them back to 9999. Gil is now capped at 9999999 and will not rollover to 0.

Leviathan Mist

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 23, 2016, 11:41:52 am »
Sorry for releasing two updates in a row, but here's v1.5! http://www.mediafire.com/download/6e0u7tgjt614naa/FF2+Retranslation+v1_5.zip

v1.5 fixes the intro so that it says "PROGRAMMED BY NASIR" instead of "PROGRAMED BY NASIR"

In addition to that, v1.5 also fixes some bugs that were present in the original game related to stat caps.
I know that I'm replying to a months-old post, but I've got great news for you! v1.5 takes care of these problems! HP and MP are now capped at 9999. Now, even though MP is 'supposed' to be capped at just 999, the game uses the same routine to update these values and I couldn't find out a way to specifically cap MP at 999, so MP will display weird numbers after 999, but at least it will never rollover to 0. Of course, HP is now capped at 9999 like it's supposed to, and displays properly and all. I wrote a routine that simply checks what these values are after level up and if it's higher than 9999, then it lowers them back to 9999. Gil is now capped at 9999999 and will not rollover to 0.

This is wonderful! I will get to testing this hack ASAP. Thanks for that!
Game over.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 23, 2016, 11:50:38 am »

Did Nasir put any copy-protection traps on his name on this game, like he supposedly did in FF1?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 23, 2016, 12:00:54 pm »
Did Nasir put any copy-protection traps on his name on this game, like he supposedly did in FF1?
TCRF doesn't mention anything regarding that for FF2. According to TCRF, for FF1 though, it says that the game will crash if you alter that text. I can confirm that altering it for FF2 does not crash the game and the game behaves normally, at least for me when using Fceux for PC and FceuGX for Wii.

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 12, 2016, 11:52:06 am »
Will there be a version with higher stat caps?
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 12, 2016, 02:06:52 pm »
Will there be a version with higher stat caps?
Sorry, but I'm done with this project and I'm satisfied with how it is, and am now focusing all of my efforts on FFIII. I also don't want to make changes like that to the point where this becomes a hack rather than a translation, I'm worried I may have already crossed that boundary by adding a B-Button dash and fixing the HP & MP rollover bugs.

However, I do plan on someday making a gameplay balance hack for FFII, but not until I play through vanilla FFII without cheats to see how hard it really is for myself. But that will be a separate patch from FFII:R, because FFII:R is supposed to just be a retranslation of FFII. I'll probably end up doubling the stat growth rates and preventing stats from getting lowered, but first I want to see how hard vanilla FFII actually is.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 12, 2016, 02:37:20 pm »
I asked myself the same thing. I do not remember about FF1, but in Rad Racer there is a check that the word "Nasir" is not altered, but there is no check for the "programmed by" part. However, it just compares with another copy of the word "nasir", so if you alter both of them, the check will pass, so this is not a super copy protected thing.

Everything in those games show that Nasir was a very smart and nonconventionnal NES programmer. He does things almost systematically different than what a typical NES game would do. He is incredibly clever in some places, having the best and most elegant 6502 assembly you could imagine, and in other areas it's plain horrible and a collosal waste of space. He likes to push tricks on the system by writing to register mid-frame, however he also gets lot of glitches especially in the battle systems.

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 13, 2016, 02:25:17 am »
@Chaos Rush

No problem I completely understand and I appreciate your hard work on both games.

The only reason I ask is that I understand a level cap of 99 but a lot of other stats get clipped so early that everything becomes normalized and flat towards the top levels, and removes a lot of strategy.

I actually agree with you though that it's best to let the translation be the translation, and not alter game balance until we all understand it better. :-)
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 15, 2016, 09:21:50 pm »
Hey everyone, someone has just informed me that there's a glitch where your characters HP can get messed up if it's around 200. I think I know exactly what's causing this and will try to come up with a fix as soon as possible. For now, stick with v1.4, and I apologize for this if this glitch has happened to you. It's fixed now, please download v1.6

EDIT: So I've found the source of the problem, and it turns out that my ASM code that I had earlier for "fixing" the HP/MP and Gil rollover glitches didn't take into consideration when if a number was added to the highest bit of that particular value (HP, MP, or Gil) and if the value was say, 0xFF (255) and a number was added to it, then it should have increased the next bit as well but I didn't account for that because I was stupid. In other words, if you had less than 255 HP/MP/Gil and you just won a battle against an enemy then your HP/MP/Gil would reset to horribly low numbers if your new HP/MP/Gil was SUPPOSED to be a value above 255. I'm sorry for anyone that experienced that, and ultimately I've just removed my routines altogether and HP/MP/Gil now behave the way they do in the original Japanese release (meaning that if you grind them past 65535 then they'll reset to 0. So don't grind them up that high, lol)

Here's v1.6, which reverts the HP/MP/Gil behavior back to the way it was in the original game:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/hu9kf9cpjysbc4h/FF2+Retranslation+v1_6.zip
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 11:03:19 pm by Chaos Rush »

zfreeman

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 16, 2016, 12:55:03 am »
Damn. Doesn't work with the demiforce title screen patch anymore. It blacks out after the intro battle. http://www.romhacking.net/translations/139/

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 16, 2016, 01:03:11 am »
Damn. Doesn't work with the demiforce title screen patch anymore. It blacks out after the intro battle. http://www.romhacking.net/translations/139/
Just play the v1.6 patch by itself with no other patches. This isn't the Demiforce translation, so there's no reason to use the Demiforce title screen because it says "translation by Demiforce" which wouldn't make sense for this patch because it uses a completely different script. (Apologies if I am sounding rude, it's just that I have gotten some PMs asking to put the Demiforce title screen which just doesn't make sense for this project)

TheMightyMatchstick

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 16, 2016, 10:33:28 pm »
Thank you so much for these updates!!

I'm not lying when I say that I created an account on this site just to say "thank you" for your work, Chaos Rush.  Final Fantasy II is, in my opinion, a very underrated game, and your new translation has made it easier to play than ever.  I'm also a big fan of the B-button dash - it makes the game more in line with the GBA / PSP versions, which pairs up nicely with the translation.  I understand your not wanting to create a true hack of FF II, and I'm absolutely in agreement with that.  I mean, these updates are meant for the original NES version of the game, and if someone wants gameplay or balance tweaks, there are already newer, remade versions of the game with those fixes.

Good luck with your Final Fantasy III project!  I hope that, someday, your FF II translation can make its way into the Final Fantasy I + II compilation on the NES.  The version available on this site is great, especially with the fixed save states and B-button dash, but I definitely prefer your newer translation to the older Demiforce version.  I'll keep my fingers crossed ^_^

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 16, 2016, 11:10:50 pm »
This hack should be the new framework all other hacks should use as a base instead of the Demi hack.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 17, 2016, 09:44:54 am »
Thank you so much for these updates!!

I'm not lying when I say that I created an account on this site just to say "thank you" for your work, Chaos Rush.  Final Fantasy II is, in my opinion, a very underrated game, and your new translation has made it easier to play than ever.  I'm also a big fan of the B-button dash - it makes the game more in line with the GBA / PSP versions, which pairs up nicely with the translation.  I understand your not wanting to create a true hack of FF II, and I'm absolutely in agreement with that.  I mean, these updates are meant for the original NES version of the game, and if someone wants gameplay or balance tweaks, there are already newer, remade versions of the game with those fixes.

Good luck with your Final Fantasy III project!  I hope that, someday, your FF II translation can make its way into the Final Fantasy I + II compilation on the NES.  The version available on this site is great, especially with the fixed save states and B-button dash, but I definitely prefer your newer translation to the older Demiforce version.  I'll keep my fingers crossed ^_^
Hi, glad you like this! I got the idea to do this last year when I wanted to play through the Final Fantasy games, having never beaten one before, but I have this 'problem' where I always want to start at the beginning of a series rather than jumping into a sequel, even if the sequel has no story connections to previous games like the Final Fantasies do. To this day I've only beaten Final Fantasies 1-3 and am only halfway through 4 and have never played any other Final Fantasy game. Anyhow, I like to see how a series evolves through sequels, so I wanted to play the original versions of the Final Fantasy games. I noticed there were a couple retranslation/restoration patches for Final Fantasy I that updates the translation and terminology to modern standards (particularly, Final Fantasy Restored and Grond's Final Fantasy), but noticed there weren't any patches like that for Final Fantasy II or III.

I don't know much about that Final Fantasy I+II ROM, but I'm willing to bet it wouldn't be too hard to put my FFII script in there. Although I'm perfectly content with just having separate ROMs for FFI and II lol  :laugh: Anyone know if Square did any bug fixes for that compilation?

AWJ

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 17, 2016, 10:46:13 am »
Anyone know if Square did any bug fixes for that compilation?

They fixed the ならかった typo in the opening text; apart from that, the FFII portion of the ROM is identical to the original, IIRC. The FFI portion has some but not all of the same graphic changes as the US version (e.g. the redrawn Beholder/Evil eye).

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 17, 2016, 11:10:59 am »
Hi, glad you like this! I got the idea to do this last year when I wanted to play through the Final Fantasy games, having never beaten one before, but I have this 'problem' where I always want to start at the beginning of a series rather than jumping into a sequel, even if the sequel has no story connections to previous games like the Final Fantasies do. To this day I've only beaten Final Fantasies 1-3 and am only halfway through 4 and have never played any other Final Fantasy game. Anyhow, I like to see how a series evolves through sequels, so I wanted to play the original versions of the Final Fantasy games. I noticed there were a couple retranslation/restoration patches for Final Fantasy I that updates the translation and terminology to modern standards (particularly, Final Fantasy Restored and Grond's Final Fantasy), but noticed there weren't any patches like that for Final Fantasy II or III.

I don't know much about that Final Fantasy I+II ROM, but I'm willing to bet it wouldn't be too hard to put my FFII script in there. Although I'm perfectly content with just having separate ROMs for FFI and II lol  :laugh: Anyone know if Square did any bug fixes for that compilation?
I'm all in for a Final Fantasy I+II (NES) patch that includes:

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 17, 2016, 12:25:05 pm »
I'm all in for a Final Fantasy I+II (NES) patch that includes:

If you were to do so, I say include the work I did with changing the font to either the FFI original font or the FFIV font.