News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy II: Refurbished  (Read 61309 times)

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
Re: (WIP) Final Fantasy II: Refurbished
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2015, 08:42:18 pm »
I wouldn't give up so soon. You've already done a great deal simply by making a better text editor. The game needs an over haul sure, but by at least getting the translation to a better place would pave the way for others to actually fix the game.
Alright here's what I'll do:

I'll stop trying to mess with the menus as quite frankly I just don't have the patience for that. I'll abbreviate the names, use squish tiles, that kinda stuff; the main point of this project is just throw in a better translation. As you suggested I'll leave it to others to fix the glitches and that kinda stuff (SpiderDave has already informed me of how to implement a B-Button dash which I'll include as an optional patch)
Sole developer of STARLIGHT LEGACY intended to be released on Steam.
Discord: https://discord.gg/fTS5Q78

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2015, 09:54:51 pm »
From looking at the screenshot of your progress, I wonder if the game is writing text to a window buffer that is however many 8x8 tiles wide by however many tiles tall.
Though games that do usually do it for scrolling windows (like text boxes, so it can move the old text up a line, and scroll out old text if needed, then write a new line of text).
I've had to modify that for a few games to allow wider text boxes (though in part by taking advantage of that English doesn't need the dakuten lines of text boxes, so they can be repurposed for longer printed text. Like if a game was using 16 x2 bytes in Japanese for character+dakuten, I could have up to 32 character lines in English with a lot of ASM hacking.)
It can be quite frustrating but ROM hacking is filled with doing stuff that may seem like it will take forever. If it something that interests you, don't give up. Take a break from it if you need to, but the payoff can be worth it in the end.

I've been working on a translation of RPG Maker for the SFC.
One of the things I needed to modify was the dialogue input to support DTE input. I worked it out, but there wasn't enough screen space in the event preview window to print expanded lines that could now be potentially twice as long, unless I made the event screen print an extra line of text each time I scrolled past a dialogue event.
I think I spent a couple days just trying to figure out how the game calculated the number of lines just so I could make it always print one more line. I was frustrated but once I got it figured out, I knew enough about how the game handles windows to make hacking windows much faster (it's still a frustrating process that leaves me with a billion window-related events to track down, but at least individual events are easier to track.)
Worst though was when I disassembled practically all of Momotarou Densetsu's non-sound code through the opening sequence, to learn how window draw functions worked just so I could split the screen position of the item menu, I think it was, between battle and field. Also learned enough that I was able to fix a fatal game-stopping bug on the final boss (causing an endless fight against glitch enemies) easily (otherwise I'd have panicked and probably hid my head in the sand).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2015, 03:15:01 am »
Would anyone happen to know if someone has made a text dump of Final Fantasy II (GBA or PSP or iOS)? I've tried looking and looking and could only find one of the Soul of Rebirth portion, which wasn't even in the original NES game.

Right now the main thing that's holding me back is playing FFII on an emulator and talking to everyone I can and literally typing out what they're saying onto a Word document. If no one else has made a script dump, I'll probably end up figuring out how text is encoded on the GBA version and make a text editor for that as well (I know that the guy that made the FFDoS Mod of Balance hack also provided a table file for the GBA version, but I recently found out that FFDoS has differing sets of encoding bytes for items and NPC text, respectively, and the ones that JeffLudwig found doesn't work for NPC text).

While a PS1 script dump exists, I would rather base the translation off the GBA version because the dialogue flows a lot more smoothly in terms of grammar, and the NPC text is less 'generic' and characters are given a bit more personality.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2015, 08:20:47 am »
While the translation is a little different in the Playstation version, there is a script here:

Final Fantasy II PS1 Script

Sometimes when I was doing Final Fantasy VI, I would go onto Youtube for the section of the game I was working on when I wasn't there in the game on one of my save files. It would save you time when you're stumped on a better way to make the text work since you need to see it in context sometimes.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2015, 11:18:31 am »
While the translation is a little different in the Playstation version, there is a script here:

Final Fantasy II PS1 Script

Sometimes when I was doing Final Fantasy VI, I would go onto Youtube for the section of the game I was working on when I wasn't there in the game on one of my save files. It would save you time when you're stumped on a better way to make the text work since you need to see it in context sometimes.
As I already mentioned:
While a PS1 script dump exists, I would rather base the translation off the GBA version because the dialogue flows a lot more smoothly in terms of grammar, and the NPC text is less 'generic' and characters are given a bit more personality.

Having compared the PS1 and GBA translations for the first portion of the game, the PS1 translation has some awkward grammar and a less grandiose vocabulary, not to mention the GBA script is also a lot more clearer in meaning (even when you take out translated lines that weren't in the Famicom script). But thanks for the Youtube suggestion.

KillerBob

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2015, 01:11:52 pm »
Did the japanese script receive an update in the 1994 re-release on Famicom?

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2015, 01:14:34 pm »
Did the japanese script receive an update in the 1994 re-release on Famicom?
Idk, but I do know that the Japanese GBA version added new lines and changed a few, which is why Square did a brand new translation for the GBA version as opposed to just using the PS1 translation.

KillerBob

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2015, 01:49:19 pm »
Idk, but I do know that the Japanese GBA version added new lines and changed a few, which is why Square did a brand new translation for the GBA version as opposed to just using the PS1 translation.
Ah, okay. Nintendo did something similar with their port of Zelda III on GBA. Updated Japanese scripts on re-releases might be more usual than what one may think. Was just curious.

As for an English script dump of the GBA or PSP version, I cannot find one either. Perhaps it's tricky to dump due to some compression used.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2015, 12:24:46 am »
Today's progress:

So a cool (but annoying if you're text editing) thing about FFII is that NPC's don't just say one line forever, they change their lines as the story moves along.

What's been retranslated so far:
Altair - first visit
Gatrea - first visit
Fynn - first visit
Altair - second visit
Gatrea - second visit (text has been translated but not yet inserted)
Paloom - first visit (text has been translated but not yet inserted)

I'll try and post an update every Friday. I discovered the beauty of cheat codes and am plowing through the GBA version and manually copying the script onto Microsoft Word.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2015, 11:25:25 am »
Sweet. I can't wait to FINALly play all the way through this version of the game.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2015, 01:52:33 am »
Today's batch of screenshots:

So that's Gatrea, Paloom, and Poft, all done (at least until they all get attacked by the Dreadnought and the NPC's get new dialogue). Next up is Salamand. I believe that's about 1/4th of the game? (Also please be aware that I am a full time college student that also works part time, so this could take several more months)

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2015, 08:27:00 am »
That's awesome. Clear and concise sentences and much better dialogue. I don't think anyone is rushing you. It took me a good three months to go over the entire script of Final Fantasy VI and I still went over my work continually even after my initial release. I work full time so I feel your pain as far as time is concerned.

You've done great work so far. Don't be discouraged and don't feel pressured. This is your project.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2015, 12:49:36 am »
Screenshots for this week:

Remember when I said that I'd like to keep the text content the same as FF2j, as opposed to FF2DoS, which added new lines? Here's an example of that. When you reach the end of Semite Falls and talk to the imperial soldier, this is what he says in the GBA version:

A bit wordy, no?

Well, this is what he says in the original Famicom version:

Which roughly translates into, "I won't hand over the Mythril to you guys!" Just an example of the unnecessary changes that Dawn of Souls made (and note that these changes were made in the Japanese version of Dawn of Souls, as shown in the GBA screenshots I posted above).

This is how I'm treating the line in FFII Refurbished:

I worded it like this because doing a literal translation came out a bit awkward-sounding in English. This keeps the line short and sweet just like the original Famicom text and gets the same point across.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2015, 10:15:35 pm »
I think I'd localize it as, "I'll never hand the Mythril over to you!! Rebel scum!!" ;P

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2015, 12:45:17 am »
I think I'm with Vanya with that one. It is short and localizes it much better than direct translation.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2015, 01:00:23 am »
I sent Tomato (the Mother 3 translation guy) an e-mail asking how he would localize it, but he hasn't responded yet. I'm interested in hearing how he would do it.

Nonetheless I'll change it to, "I'll never hand the Mythril over to you!" as Vanya suggested (I don't think 'Rebel scum!!' is necessary, though). If I run into a similar situation like this again, I'll definitely wanna hear your guys' suggestions for it!

EDIT: Done!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 01:32:02 am by Chaos Rush »

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2015, 11:08:46 am »
Isn't 'I'll never hand over the Mythril to you!' more appropriate? I mean, the 'over' doesn't seem natural there.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2015, 12:43:57 pm »
Both was are technically correct. I didn't really think about it at all when I rote it so it is natural speech for me.
The rebel scum part was me being silly. Hense the -> ;P

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2015, 07:58:02 am »
Both was are technically correct. I didn't really think about it at all when I rote it so it is natural speech for me.
The rebel scum part was me being silly. Hense the -> ;P

The force is strong with this one!

I'm hoping there hasn't been any roadblocks along the way. We're here for your support Chaos Rush!

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2015, 07:52:11 pm »
I've been quite busy these past few weeks and also been distracted with a less time-consuming project. HOWEVER, I did recently discover Gameshark/Genie codes for both the NES and GBA versions that give me max stats, money, and no random encounters, allowing me to go through the game much quicker (I literally transcripted the entire Salamand portion of the game in about 1.5 hours).

So far, I have translated/transcripted/whatever up to delivering the Mythril back to Salamand. While that may seem like a small portion of the game, the thing is that the first portion of the game has you going to these first several towns back and forth and they all have multiple sets of dialogue as the Dreadnought gets closer to completion. I presume that once I get to the part of the game where the Dreadnought destroys all the towns, then progress should go a lot faster (since from that point on its mostly just dungeons).

My only concern is that I'll run out of space in one of the ROM banks. I'm considering writing a new tool that lets me compile the entire game text from a .txt file (similar to how the Mother 3 translation tools work), that way free space won't be as much of an issue if I want to change text I've already put into the ROM while maintaining free space optimization. I haven't run into that issue yet though, and I'll just keep on doing what I've been doing.

November 07, 2015, 02:03:44 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Hey here's some more screens, this was all done in the past two hours:

You spend about 80% of the game being Hilda's bitch doing whatever she asks...

This is another example of keeping the content accurately to the original Famicom text, since the line about him noticing Maria is not present in the GBA version, but it's present in both the Famicom and PS1 versions, so it's also present here.

I believe this is the third set of dialogue that Altair's NPC's have... and it's not the last either.

That last line, "The [Dreadnought] must be destroyed..." was one I had to add for reasons dictated by the game design, and was not present in the original script. And the reason why is, well, see those four screenshots? It fits in a single text box in the original Famicom version:

Because the word "Dreadnought" (だいせんかん in the screenshot) has to be selectable when Hilda is finished talking, I had no choice but to add a line of content that was not in the original script at all, or else you wouldn't be able to select the keyword Dreadnought. The PS1 translation had to do the exact same thing, so I have no guilt in doing that. (The Japanese GBA version completely expanded Hilda's dialogue here so that it wouldn't be an issue when they translated it to English).
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 02:03:47 am by Chaos Rush »