News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy II: Refurbished  (Read 59986 times)

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
Re: (WIP) Final Fantasy II: Refurbished
« Reply #120 on: January 11, 2016, 11:37:57 pm »
There's going to be two versions. The first one will be a "Purist Edition", which acts as a straight up translation/localization of the original Japanese game (which will have Maria spilling the beans as well, since that was in the original Japanese script and even the English PS1 script).

There will also be a "Non-Ridiculous Patch", which will basically attempt to make the game non-ridiculous. In fact, I was going to ask you guys ideas for the "Non-Ridiculous patch". Here's my ideas for it so far:

* fix Ultima
* increase stat gains to decrease grinding
* maybe buff weapons
* make Castle Fynn have the rebel army theme instead of the "mysterious abandoned place theme" (since for the last third of the game Castle Fynn acts as the new rebel base, so it's only fitting that it should have the rebel theme)
* change Maria's line about the Dark Knight to make his identity more ambiguous (which I have no problem with doing for the "Non-Ridiculous Patch" because the whole point of the patch is to improve the game as a whole)

The goal of the non-ridiculous patch is to make the game actually enjoyable. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

As for my current progress, I have the script done up to the point where Leon joins your party. I'm back in school now so don't have as much time as I did during December, so all I can say is that the script will be finished soon, but I don't know how soon.

Well if you're up to Leon being back in action you're nearly finished then! All that remains is the bits of text in Pandemonium and the ending, if I'm not mistaken.

Your ideas on making FFII actually *gasp* fun to play are a great start. Did that magic-cancel glitch ever get fixed for the Famicom version?

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
Re: (WIP) Final Fantasy II: Refurbished
« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2016, 11:56:00 pm »
Parasyte's bug fix patch works for all versions of FFII as far as I can tell.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy II: Refurbished
« Reply #122 on: January 13, 2016, 03:33:19 am »
Well... the script is done. Of course some script rephrasing had to be done to fit the limited amount of space, but I did my best to preserve meaning as much as possible. Though it's not as wordy as the GBA/PSP versions, I'm still proud of what I was able to do, and I can confidently say that this is the definitive version of the 8-bit Final Fantasy II (yes Tomato, feel free to analyze the script intensely :P ). I did go back and add in the possibly unused message strings, as there's a possibility that they could be used after all. Every single text string in each text bank has been accounted for.

While this initially started as just "let's trim down the GBA script", it kinda became, "let's create a new script by comparing the GBA, PS1, and Famicom scripts". Again, while I'm not 100% fluent in Japanese, I'm not a total n00b at the language either (because I spent the first six years of my life there), and despite my limited vocabulary I did lots of comparing with the Japanese script. In fact I'm just going to outright say that this is the definitive NES version of Final Fantasy II in English (well my only competition is the outdated Demiforce translation and the English Prototype, so it doesn't take much to claim that :P ) For the parts of the dialogue that were altered between the Japanese Famicom version and the Japanese GBA version, I retranslated those myself (but looked at the PS1 script as a reference). For those lines, while I looked up each and every word, I did not do a super literal translation and instead favored flow of language over meaning (for instance, during the ending scene when Hilda tells the player in the Famicom version only, "あなたたちも がんばって", basically saying "Good luck to all of you!", which just doesn't flow smoothly in English with the previous sentence about working to restore the status quo. So I changed it to a more ambiguous, "Let's hope for the best!" The PS1 translation handled it by saying, "We hope to see you again...please take care!", while the GBA translation says something completely different because she says something completely different in the Japanese GBA version too). Also another intentional change I made was that when you first reach Pandaemonium, the Famicom version says, "やった!パンデモニウムに はいった!!", which basically means, "We did it/Yay! We've entered Pandaemonium!" (The PS1 script translated it as, "You have entered Pandaemonium!"). For that I intentionally put what is said in the GBA version just because it sounded cooler and less awkward (as shown in the first screenshot below):

While the script is finished, I'm not ready to release it yet because there's some battle text that I still need to update (particularly the enemy spell attacks. Shouldn't take me that long), as well as adding some squish tiles for a select few enemy names. Hopefully it'll be released this weekend!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 05:57:55 pm by Chaos Rush »
Sole developer of STARLIGHT LEGACY intended to be released on Steam.
Discord server for development progress: https://discord.gg/wzFgFVs

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 13, 2016, 03:51:42 am »
Well, that's looking quite fantastic! Great work, I'm always glad to see another FF Project near the finish line!

arciks11

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 13, 2016, 06:38:22 am »
I don't think weapons need buffing necessarily.

However, in Famicom version most weapons and all shields give harsh magic penalties when equipped. Starting with PS1 and onwards those penalties were removed.

Heavy armors also have those penalties but those were never tampered with.

Magic penalties lower power of offensive spells like Fire and Cure (it functions similarly except for fact that it heals) and buffs and ailments have their accuracy reduced. Yes positive buffs like blink can miss.

Unless you want to keep it as it was. I would suggest removing magic penalties on weapons and shields.

Secondly Dual Wielding in Famicom version is bugged.

If one equips 2 weapons, only weapon in right hand will deal damage, while second will only count towards being swung.

Also fists can only be used if both hands are empty. in later versions it was possible to attack with Fist+Shield combo.

EDIT

Concerning stat gains. Conventional stats (STR, VIT, AGI) usually grow at an acceptable pace so increasing their growth might unbalance the game quite a bit.

Alternatively you could just remove stat decreases at the end of a battle.

So while regular stats are mostly fine with their growth... Spells are another story.

Unless heavily spammed in every battle, spells just won't be effective at all, add the already mentioned magic penalties on weapons and armor and spell become pretty much useless.

Magic could benefit from a boosted growth, though I don't how to implement it well.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 08:11:42 am by arciks11 »

linkncb16

• Restricted Access
  • They actually updated this site. Hallelujah.
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #125 on: January 13, 2016, 10:30:29 am »
Dual wielding was also broken in this version (showed animation, but only calculated damage for first weapon). Do you intend to fix that as well?
Final Fantasy Redux is complete! Download

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 13, 2016, 11:05:28 am »
I'll try and incorporate as much of those changes you guys are suggesting as I can in the actual "Refurbished" patch. I'll submit the version with unmodified gameplay as a standard translation (that way people can make their own difficulty patches if they don't like mine), while the one with the gameplay changes will be submitted as a hack called "Final Fantasy II: Refurbished".
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 04:38:56 pm by Chaos Rush »

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 13, 2016, 05:46:00 pm »
Other than a B button dash and Ultima being broken, I have no issue with vanilla FFII. I think Dragon Quest has more grinding IMO. I believe that you said you wanted to release what's fixed as add-ons which old be cool. Once you finish the battle script, have you looked at other ways to display spell names?

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 13, 2016, 10:44:04 pm »
Other than a B button dash and Ultima being broken, I have no issue with vanilla FFII. I think Dragon Quest has more grinding IMO. I believe that you said you wanted to release what's fixed as add-ons which old be cool. Once you finish the battle script, have you looked at other ways to display spell names?
As I said above, I'll submit the one with vanilla FFII gameplay as a standard translation, while the one with the modified gameplay will be submitted as a separate hack. So people can still play vanilla FFII but with a new script :)

I haven't looked at the spell names yet, I'll get to it hopefully this Friday. I'm confident that it shouldn't be too hard - I've been getting used to doing ASM stuff with FCEUX's debugger, and I even fixed the item menu refresh glitch! Those of you who tried out the demo probably noticed that when you go view your items/spells/equipment and then go back to the party selection menu that the left and right edges of the screen weren't refreshed from the previous menu (due to expanding the menu size to fit the longer item names), but that glitch has now been fixed :)

EDIT: Progress on expanded spell names:

The issue here is that the in-battle magic menu still has its old cursor positions. Hopefully I can find out how to fix that soon (would appreciate it if I could get some help with that too, I know that the FFRestored hack managed it).
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 03:08:37 am by Chaos Rush »

linkncb16

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #129 on: January 14, 2016, 10:27:47 am »
It all looks really good so far! One minor thing that always bothered me was the order of the battle commands:
-Fight
-Run
-Magic
-Item
It makes so much more sense to have it like this:
-Fight
-Magic
-Run
-Item
Also, can you make items stack able? (ex. Two potions taking up one slot with Potionx2 as opposed to taking two inventory slots.)

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 14, 2016, 01:54:25 pm »
Whoa! You work fast! You managed to extend magic to their proper placements and everything still looks proper. I imagine the cursor will take a little bit of doing, you've really become a wizard at these expanded names, windows, and text!

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 14, 2016, 02:30:50 pm »
I agree about the order of the commands.
( If I'm ever Feeling really ambitious one day I might try creating a sub-menu that is accessed by pressing right and put the Run command there so it's out of the way completely. Might even be nice to add in a Defend command to replace it, too. )

There are a few bugs with some of the other spells that are probably worth fixing.

Aura & Barrier - both these spells grant effects based on how many successes each casting achieves on a target. These successes are cumulative with multiple castings, but the effect granted is based on total success and thus do not stack. Aura grants the target's main weapon damage bonus against enemy types and Barrier grants protection from elemental types. Both enemy and elemental type exists in the game data as a single byte of data each so there are a total of 8 of each. However both spells cap the number of successes checked for at 7 instead of 8. So the Aura spell never grants bonus vs. Undead and Barrier never grants protection from Ice.

Wall - has a flaw akin to the Vanish/Doom bug in FF6. Besides that it is also functionally useless until you get it up to level 4. Let me explain...
Taken from guides.gamercourner.net:
When a spell fails due to wall, the animation always displays. In the case of monsters, this means that the four black magic instant death spells - Toad, Break, Death, and Warp - will remove the monster from combat even though they technically "fail." As a result, if you can successfully cast even a level 1 Wall on an enemy, and follow it up with a level 1 KO spell, that enemy will immediately die. And because it's a support spell with 50 accuracy, it's not difficult to hit your enemies with Wall.

That's a pretty serious problem right there.
But besides that there is also the other issue that is purely due to how the game was set up and balanced.
No enemy in the game casts black magic below level 4. That means that Wall level 1-3 are effectively useless.
This might require a broader solution than a simple bug fix.
Oh, and there is one other issue.
Wall does not differentiate between detrimental and beneficial black magic spells. (Berserk, Haste, & Aura.)

Osmose - it works on monsters that don't even have MP in the first place.

Toad & Stone - they are not bugged in and of themselves, but the way the two spells are set up practically makes Stone pointless.
The only difference between the two when cast on monsters is that Toad has better accuracy.
The status effect is irrelevant since statii are not resisted directly like in later games and they both OK enemies.
It's possible that they were supposed to be like Stun & Stop where one is body element and the other is matter element.
Similarly Death is rendered useless even though it is a different element because every monster that resists matter also resists death making it even less effective with no benefits at all.
This is more an issue of bad balance.

Life - has 2 bugs although one is arguable.
First, when used in battle on the whole party it always fails to target dead characters.
When used outside of battle on a single target it always acts as if it was 1 level lower.
And it does work on the whole party outside of battle, but the amount of HP it restores is reduced by 1/2.
This may be what it was supposed to do in battle, too.

Basuna & Esuna - they can fail. That is stupid and later games stopped doing that for a reason.
Basuna also has a wierd effect distribution curing 2 statii with one success, venom & sleep.
It doesn't gain any new effects after 5 successes so leveling it up passed 5 would be pointless except that it can fail to work at all.
Esuna has it's own quirks too.
Outside of battle if cast on a single party member it gets an extra success for free, but not when targeting the whole party.
This could confuse people a bit when a single target get's poison and darkness cured but the whole party only gets darkness cured.

Bersek, Haste, Aura, Barrier, Blink, Protect, Shell, & Wall - like Basuna & Esuna can all fail completely. That is still stupid.

Protect - only works on the caster.

Dispel - does literally nothing.

Mini & Teleprot - has basically the same issue as Toad & Stone.
In battle Mini is better just because the only difference is higher accuracy.
Balance issues again.

Ultima - I think everyone is familiar with this one, what's wrong with it, and what it's supposed to do according to the later games.

I think that's everything I've found out from the sources I have available. Hope this helps out some.
Also, great job on the spell lists! It shouldn't be terribly hard to reposition the pointer, but will probably have to rewrite the code a little. The biggest pain is finding the correct code to begin with, I think.

And here is a bug list from Gamecorner:

The Bug List

Like its predecessor, Final Fantasy II has more than its fair share of bugs. At least this time most of the core combat mechanics work!

Party Magic Target Bug: The game generally denotes "target everyone" internally with the number 8. Apparently this number gets used when determining who gains magic defense progress, because instead of any character getting it, Firion's white magic counter (8 bytes away) is increased. As a result, all-party attack spells can lead to Firion's spirit increasing.

Target-Cancel Exploit: Both weapons and magic can be advanced easily by confirming the target of an action, then immediately cancelling and doing it again. It's boring and unnecessary, and you can't do it to your last party member, but it is one way to cheese past the tougher parts of this hard game.

No Weapon Memory: Not so much a bug as a coding shortcut, the game doesn't know or care exactly what weapons you attack with during a fight. All advancement is simply given to the weapons you have equipped at the end of combat.

Healing Item Target Bug: Items and monsters in FF2 don't actually use the spell system directly, but rather use a table of special abilities which includes the spell and certain specifics, such as target. All consumable items were given a target of "self." Unfortunately, that makes the Phoenix Down, Gold Needle, and maiden's kiss items pointless in combat, since no one with the status ailments they cure can actually use items!

Sap Bug: Sap is an interesting MP-damaging spell that reduces the target's MP to a fraction of its current amount. Unfortunately, whatever clever routine they came up with to calculate this fraction apparently only works on bytes and not full words. As a result, MP totals over 256 are hardly affected by Sap. Which is too bad, since that includes most late-game Spellcaster!

Stat Boost Bug: Some parts of the game imply that multiple armor stat boosts to the same stat should be cumulative, but they aren't. This does make armor choices a bit more interesting, though, so I'm fine with it.

Healing Staff Bug: The Healing Staff does a whole lot of damage to Undead, making it one of the best weapons in the game against them. However, it still heals them just like anyone else in addition to the damage.

Ripper Bug: The Ripper's damage totals display as 20 higher per hit. Which would make it a really awesome weapon ability, if that damage was actually inflicted! Of course, this may be some sort of mean joke by the programmers rather than a bug, for all I know.

Middle Character Target Bug: For some reason, the middle two characters tend to be attacked a lot more often than the other two character slots. And if you put one of them (perhaps Maria) in the back slot, Guy will take as many hits as everyone else combined. Which makes him a pretty good choice for tank, actually.

Dual-Wield Bug: Even though the game animates an attack with your second weapon, you actually still only attack with the first weapon. Not that dual-wielding is useless - it's a good way to level up another weapon at the cost of defense instead of offense. This may even have been intentional, but it's quite counter intuitive.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 03:11:13 pm by Vanya »

linkncb16

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #132 on: January 14, 2016, 02:57:31 pm »
( If I'm ever Feeling really ambitious one day I might try creating a sub-menu that is accessed by pressing right and put the Run command there so it's out of the way completely. Might even be nice to add in a Defend command to replace it, too. )
That's a great idea if it is do able. In addition, you could change row in battle by going left so it'd be just like FFIV-FFVI!

Also, I always hated having characters forced in the back row when they had a status effect or were dead. I think it was to prevent already stoned or dead characters from being targeted, but can you change this?

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 14, 2016, 03:00:35 pm »
Also, I always hated having characters forced in the back row when they had a status effect or were dead. I think it was to prevent already stoned or dead characters from being targeted, but can you change this?

Agreed! If this could be changed it would make things much less of a headache. I actually find it even more annoying than the formation reorder in FF1.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 14, 2016, 09:29:14 pm »

There are a few bugs with some of the other spells that are probably worth fixing.

Aura & Barrier - both these spells grant effects based on how many successes each casting achieves on a target. These successes are cumulative with multiple castings, but the effect granted is based on total success and thus do not stack. Aura grants the target's main weapon damage bonus against enemy types and Barrier grants protection from elemental types. Both enemy and elemental type exists in the game data as a single byte of data each so there are a total of 8 of each. However both spells cap the number of successes checked for at 7 instead of 8. So the Aura spell never grants bonus vs. Undead and Barrier never grants protection from Ice.

Wall - has a flaw akin to the Vanish/Doom bug in FF6. Besides that it is also functionally useless until you get it up to level 4. Let me explain...
Taken from guides.gamercourner.net:
When a spell fails due to wall, the animation always displays. In the case of monsters, this means that the four black magic instant death spells - Toad, Break, Death, and Warp - will remove the monster from combat even though they technically "fail." As a result, if you can successfully cast even a level 1 Wall on an enemy, and follow it up with a level 1 KO spell, that enemy will immediately die. And because it's a support spell with 50 accuracy, it's not difficult to hit your enemies with Wall.

That's a pretty serious problem right there.
But besides that there is also the other issue that is purely due to how the game was set up and balanced.
No enemy in the game casts black magic below level 4. That means that Wall level 1-3 are effectively useless.
This might require a broader solution than a simple bug fix.
Oh, and there is one other issue.
Wall does not differentiate between detrimental and beneficial black magic spells. (Berserk, Haste, & Aura.)

Osmose - it works on monsters that don't even have MP in the first place.

Toad & Stone - they are not bugged in and of themselves, but the way the two spells are set up practically makes Stone pointless.
The only difference between the two when cast on monsters is that Toad has better accuracy.
The status effect is irrelevant since statii are not resisted directly like in later games and they both OK enemies.
It's possible that they were supposed to be like Stun & Stop where one is body element and the other is matter element.
Similarly Death is rendered useless even though it is a different element because every monster that resists matter also resists death making it even less effective with no benefits at all.
This is more an issue of bad balance.

Life - has 2 bugs although one is arguable.
First, when used in battle on the whole party it always fails to target dead characters.
When used outside of battle on a single target it always acts as if it was 1 level lower.
And it does work on the whole party outside of battle, but the amount of HP it restores is reduced by 1/2.
This may be what it was supposed to do in battle, too.

Basuna & Esuna - they can fail. That is stupid and later games stopped doing that for a reason.
Basuna also has a wierd effect distribution curing 2 statii with one success, venom & sleep.
It doesn't gain any new effects after 5 successes so leveling it up passed 5 would be pointless except that it can fail to work at all.
Esuna has it's own quirks too.
Outside of battle if cast on a single party member it gets an extra success for free, but not when targeting the whole party.
This could confuse people a bit when a single target get's poison and darkness cured but the whole party only gets darkness cured.

Bersek, Haste, Aura, Barrier, Blink, Protect, Shell, & Wall - like Basuna & Esuna can all fail completely. That is still stupid.

Protect - only works on the caster.

Dispel - does literally nothing.

Mini & Teleprot - has basically the same issue as Toad & Stone.
In battle Mini is better just because the only difference is higher accuracy.
Balance issues again.

Ultima - I think everyone is familiar with this one, what's wrong with it, and what it's supposed to do according to the later games.

I think that's everything I've found out from the sources I have available. Hope this helps out some.
Also, great job on the spell lists! It shouldn't be terribly hard to reposition the pointer, but will probably have to rewrite the code a little. The biggest pain is finding the correct code to begin with, I think.

And here is a bug list from Gamecorner:

The Bug List

Like its predecessor, Final Fantasy II has more than its fair share of bugs. At least this time most of the core combat mechanics work!

Party Magic Target Bug: The game generally denotes "target everyone" internally with the number 8. Apparently this number gets used when determining who gains magic defense progress, because instead of any character getting it, Firion's white magic counter (8 bytes away) is increased. As a result, all-party attack spells can lead to Firion's spirit increasing.

Target-Cancel Exploit: Both weapons and magic can be advanced easily by confirming the target of an action, then immediately cancelling and doing it again. It's boring and unnecessary, and you can't do it to your last party member, but it is one way to cheese past the tougher parts of this hard game.

No Weapon Memory: Not so much a bug as a coding shortcut, the game doesn't know or care exactly what weapons you attack with during a fight. All advancement is simply given to the weapons you have equipped at the end of combat.

Healing Item Target Bug: Items and monsters in FF2 don't actually use the spell system directly, but rather use a table of special abilities which includes the spell and certain specifics, such as target. All consumable items were given a target of "self." Unfortunately, that makes the Phoenix Down, Gold Needle, and maiden's kiss items pointless in combat, since no one with the status ailments they cure can actually use items!

Sap Bug: Sap is an interesting MP-damaging spell that reduces the target's MP to a fraction of its current amount. Unfortunately, whatever clever routine they came up with to calculate this fraction apparently only works on bytes and not full words. As a result, MP totals over 256 are hardly affected by Sap. Which is too bad, since that includes most late-game Spellcaster!

Stat Boost Bug: Some parts of the game imply that multiple armor stat boosts to the same stat should be cumulative, but they aren't. This does make armor choices a bit more interesting, though, so I'm fine with it.

Healing Staff Bug: The Healing Staff does a whole lot of damage to Undead, making it one of the best weapons in the game against them. However, it still heals them just like anyone else in addition to the damage.

Ripper Bug: The Ripper's damage totals display as 20 higher per hit. Which would make it a really awesome weapon ability, if that damage was actually inflicted! Of course, this may be some sort of mean joke by the programmers rather than a bug, for all I know.

Middle Character Target Bug: For some reason, the middle two characters tend to be attacked a lot more often than the other two character slots. And if you put one of them (perhaps Maria) in the back slot, Guy will take as many hits as everyone else combined. Which makes him a pretty good choice for tank, actually.

Dual-Wield Bug: Even though the game animates an attack with your second weapon, you actually still only attack with the first weapon. Not that dual-wielding is useless - it's a good way to level up another weapon at the cost of defense instead of offense. This may even have been intentional, but it's quite counter intuitive.
It's good to have all these in a list, though I don't think its feasible for all of these to be fixed without a full disassembly of the battle system. And quite frankly I don't have any interest in fixing ALL of these, I've already sunk way too much time into this.

That's a great idea if it is do able. In addition, you could change row in battle by going left so it'd be just like FFIV-FFVI!

That shouldn't be too hard, since I would assume all it would involve is just nopping a few opcodes.

Anyhow I am having some trouble trying to figure out how to re-position the cursor. It doesn't appear to be in a simple table, and it's not linked directly to the text positions unlike the out-of-battle menus. I've been trying to track down the code/table/whatever that controls it, but it's ridiculous.

Relevant code:
  031C09:E6 53     INC $0053 = #$02
  031C0B:A5 53     LDA $0053 = #$02
  031C0D:C5 5D     CMP $005D = #$04
  031C0F:D0 05     BNE $9C06 ; If the cursor position != 4, then jump to $9C06
  031C11:A9 00     LDA #$00 ; Resets cursor position
  031C13:8D 53 00  STA $0053 = #$02
  031C16:4C 6C 9C  JMP $9C6C;   a jump exists to this offset for any time a cursor is moved in-battle for any menu

So this is part of what controls the horizontal amount in the magic menu, but the problem is that at this section it pulls the values from the RAM. I've tried putting breakpoints on when these RAM locations are first written in order to see if it will lead me to the code relevant to adjusting the magic menu positions, but it just lead me to more complicated stuff I can't figure out. I would appreciate it if someone more experienced with NES ASM hacking could look into this, cause I've hit a dead end and have no more ideas left.

arciks11

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 15, 2016, 01:06:26 pm »
If you still don't mind suggestions as for stuff to modify.

Could you tweak "Monster Closets" to have regular encounter rate?

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 15, 2016, 06:00:32 pm »
Anyhow I am having some trouble trying to figure out how to re-position the cursor. It doesn't appear to be in a simple table, and it's not linked directly to the text positions unlike the out-of-battle menus. I've been trying to track down the code/table/whatever that controls it, but it's ridiculous.

Relevant code:
  031C09:E6 53     INC $0053 = #$02
  031C0B:A5 53     LDA $0053 = #$02
  031C0D:C5 5D     CMP $005D = #$04
  031C0F:D0 05     BNE $9C06 ; If the cursor position != 4, then jump to $9C06
  031C11:A9 00     LDA #$00 ; Resets cursor position
  031C13:8D 53 00  STA $0053 = #$02
  031C16:4C 6C 9C  JMP $9C6C;   a jump exists to this offset for any time a cursor is moved in-battle for any menu

So this is part of what controls the horizontal amount in the magic menu, but the problem is that at this section it pulls the values from the RAM. I've tried putting breakpoints on when these RAM locations are first written in order to see if it will lead me to the code relevant to adjusting the magic menu positions, but it just lead me to more complicated stuff I can't figure out. I would appreciate it if someone more experienced with NES ASM hacking could look into this, cause I've hit a dead end and have no more ideas left.

I'll have a look. I don't have the opcodes memorized or anything, but I've done ASM stuff before. I'll let you know if I find anything.
I tried messing around with the battle menu in FF1, but I didn't delve very deeply into it.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 15, 2016, 07:58:56 pm »
I'll have a look. I don't have the opcodes memorized or anything, but I've done ASM stuff before. I'll let you know if I find anything.
I tried messing around with the battle menu in FF1, but I didn't delve very deeply into it.
So I've looked into it further and it's not gonna be a simple fix.

Here's the relevant parts of the code that controls the in-battle cursor position:
031C84 LDA $0053    - loads the byte at $0053 into the accumulator
031C86 ASL       - Arithmetic Shift Left
031C87 STA $0044    - stores the accumulator at $0044
031C89 LDY $005C = #$04 - loads into the Y register the value at $005C, which is the menu loop amount
031C8B DEY      - Decrement Y

Loop:
031C8C CLC       - Clear Carry
031C8D ADC $0044    - Adds the byte at $0044 to the accumulator (so like, 04-->08)
031C8F DEY       - Decrement Y
031C90 BNE Loop      - loop if it doesn't match
031C92 STA $0044   - loads the final position into $0044

Before this is executed, a "width" value is placed into $005C in the RAM. There's a different width value for the in-battle magic menu and the in-battle items menu. The problem is, they both share the same set of code when determining the cursor position. To remind you guys, this is what the items menu looks like:

When you move the cursor to the items slot in the in-battle items menu, it moves it to the "fourth" horizontal position coordinate (which there's no table for, as its hardcoded and done by calculations with RAM values that all stem with a single "width" byte), which shares its coordinates with the magic menu.

In other words, altering the code for the in-battle magic menu will also mess up the in-battle items menu. The only solution I see is if the two menus were to be separated, where the items menu uses the vanilla code and the magic menu uses new ASM code specifically made for it, but that's easier said than done. I think at this point it's best to just leave it alone and keep the four-character magic names :(

If anyone's willing to experiment though, make these byte changes to re-arrange the magic listing in-battle to how I have it in the screenshot below:
31EB7 - change to 0x01
31EDE - change to 0x0A
31EE9 - change to 0x00
31F84 - change to 0x29

This will position the text to allow for longer spell names, but it won't update the cursor positions :/ The reason why I never had this trouble for the out-of-battle menus is because the cursor positions are defined directly in the text strings. But for the in-battle menus the positions are controlled separately :(

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 16, 2016, 12:42:54 am »
Small suggestion, shouldn't it be "Fight" instead of "Attack" for the battle main menu, as in the rest of the FF games (and true to "tatakau" in the Japanese text)?

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 16, 2016, 12:53:16 am »
Small suggestion, shouldn't it be "Fight" instead of "Attack" for the battle main menu, as in the rest of the FF games (and true to "tatakau" in the Japanese text)?
I haven't played any FF game past IV, but I have played the modern official versions of I-III, and it's labeled as "Attack" there:

EDIT: Also I just googled screenshots of FFIV DS, FFV GBA, and FFVI GBA, and they all label the command as, "Attack":