Entaku no Seito: The Eternal Legend for psp scripts

Started by kaikaiser, August 13, 2015, 04:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaikaiser

Hello everyone. This is my first post on the forum. I want to do an English menu and items (and story if I can get all the files extracted) patch for Entaku no Seito: The Eternal Legend on psp i have extracted all the files from the iso and get a lot of .bin and some .pak files. There is also a few img files too. im still new to rom hacking and could use all the help I can get. I tried other forums but no one wants to help. So I was told to come here where people were nice and might help. Could you give me advise on what tools I need to extract those files and then once translated put them back?  I tried a few programs to extract and none of them could open the bin or pak. Thanks in advance!!

BlackDog61

Hi there!

Not all files can be "extracted", especially because in general, each game is unique, therefore you need specific tools just for your use.
Note: I can't recommend the "getting started" section of this site too much.
Having said that, my personal first action in general is to use "sjis dump" (a tool from this site) and see what happens.
You should see things if you apply it here.
Ex: 王冠マークが表示されるようになります。

Maybe not everything (especially story) - I cannot tell as I cannot read Japanese.

Good luck!

kaikaiser

First I want to say THANK YOU so much has for your reply. I have been all over the Web and many other forums and site with no help what so ever. OK I will try the dump and see what happens. It a start. I would be happy to just do a menu patch. At least the menu/skills/items would be translated. So the next noob question is I dump each of the bin, data and pak files separately then?

cool so 王冠マークが表示されるようになります。 translates to: the crown mark has appeared.

In battle a crown  mark appears over an emery inside traps on the map. Cool!

BlackDog61

Quote from: kaikaiser on August 14, 2015, 10:32:13 PM
So the next noob question is I dump each of the bin, data and pak files separately then?

Yes.
And the answer to the next question (which should be "how do I insert my translated text) calls for you to read the Getting Started section of this site.  8) AFTER that then we talk again.  :laugh:

kaikaiser

Thank you very much. I'm having a problem with the sjis dump program. My computer won't run it. When I click on it a command window pops up and then disappears. I got the program from this site. Maybe it's just my computer. It's windows 8/10 does it matter?

BlackDog61

Any compatibility option to be set?
I think it's delivered with source, so you might as well recompile it?

Seihen

More than likely, it's a program run from the command prompt. You cannot run it by double clicking it (since the program is lacking the parameters it needs to run).

This should get you started:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/command-prompt-faq#1TC=windows-7

I'm not sure what version of Windows you're using, but just look up yours if this doesn't cover it. As for what parameters you need, you'll need to check the documentation for the program.

kaikaiser

krat0s

First, do you have an actual PSP or are you using an emulator to run the game?

kaikaiser

I can't say thank you enough! This is what I wanted to know. Thank you for helping me through this. I would like to do a partial translation of menu/skills/ items etc. to start with. That would give people access to the game. Then I could work on the scripts to translate. Thank you so much! Oh and I'm running the game on ppsspp emulator.  I do not have a physical psp. If it matters, it also has a moded font folder so I could play growlanser wayfarer of time and be able to read the game text.

August 31, 2015, 12:04:08 AM - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

What is the best way to extract the .pak files?

kaikaiser

OK so I did some translating of the eboot with madedit and everything was going fine until I tried to Import it back into the iso with cdmage. When it tried I got an error message that said the file was larger then the original.  So I did it anyways and it took, but the emulator either freezes or crashes when I try to , launch the game. What did I do wrong?

BlackDog61

First things first: is the file actually bigger?
If yes then why?
Did you insert text to have larger translations?

Since that file has programming parts in it, moving things around in the file is probably harmful to the game's execution. Any chance you can find another file to host your text? Also, have you changed text only, or pointers to text too?

kaikaiser

I'm pretty sure the file said the same size. What I did was replace the Japanese characters with english. As I reppaced it pushed other text down farther. I have not changed the pointers because I do not know how to do that. I had the names of towns and dungeons changed as well as the menu options on start screen and in the main menu screen of the game itself. How do you find another file for the text as this is all inside the eboot.bin file?

BlackDog61

Well I guess you have to try your luck. ;D
Maybe start adding stuff (series of FF's for instance, more than 2K of them) at the end of original eboot, and see if the game still works. If it does, then problem (hopefully) solved.

You have to learn about pointers. It's really the only way to manage these things. The Getting Started section (on this site) can help you on that front.
I'm told that the are very often located either just before or just after a bank of text.

Let us know how it goes!

kaikaiser

Thanks I'll give that a try

September 11, 2015, 10:37:25 PM - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

OK guys I wanted to say thank you for all of your help and for putting up with a noon like me. I have learned a lot and an reading all the amazing documents on this site. Unfortunately this game is still one my head on how to get to the stuff I need so for now I'm giving it up. The good news is if anyone is interested in doing the patch there's an awesome site,   http://www.tehvidya.com/basic-walkthrough-for-entaku-no-seito/
Kina, the site owner just translated a walk through for this game as well as item and union skills. She is still working on skills and post dungeon, but it's a start. It's a big boost for a patch. So if anyone manages anything with this game and wants help let me know as well. Currently I'm fighting with unchained blades exxiv and will mess around with that, but so far no luck on getting the imported files to work without crashing the emulator.  Any words of wisdom will be appreciated for that thread! Yanks everyone!!!

krat0s

Quote from: kaikaiser on September 08, 2015, 11:05:25 AM
OK so I did some translating of the eboot with madedit and everything was going fine until I tried to Import it back into the iso with cdmage. When it tried I got an error message that said the file was larger then the original.  So I did it anyways and it took, but the emulator either freezes or crashes when I try to , launch the game. What did I do wrong?
Use UMDGen.

kaikaiser

Cool good to know.  That was probably one of the problems. I was importing the files into the data_msg.txt.dat file directly and then trying to boot iso.  no I need to learn pointers.