News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Ninja Gaiden: Asshole Edition (Alpha ver. download)  (Read 8651 times)

diaspora

• View Profile
Ninja Gaiden: Asshole Edition (Alpha ver. download)
« on: September 07, 2015, 11:53:51 pm »
Hey. This is my first and latest romhacking project. I'm taking taking Ninja Gaiden and making it 3 times more sadistic, "for the evulz". Well, that was the original goal, anyway. At this point the hack consists almost entirely of ASM code tweaks. Mostly changing enemy behavior, hit points, damage, etc. And it's damn hard, but not Kaizo hard (I have beaten each stage, individually, without savestates). Here's a list of enemy changes:

-The birds got the biggest overhaul. They'll never go past the edges of the screen, so you can't outrun them and scroll them off the screen- the only way to get rid of them is to kill them. Their movement pattern is much more unpredictable and harder to dodge- good luck!
-Tysons (the boxing guys) have 2 HP now, and they regain 1 HP each time they do their punching attack, so the best way to kill them is either from afar, or with two strikes in quick succession.
-The knife-throwing gangsters' knives do 2 points, and they start throwing as soon as they spawn, also the rate of throwing is increased
-Ghouls (and other sword/mace throwing enemies) throw swords twice as fast, up to twice as far, and the swords do 2 points of damage
-Commandos (the machine gun guys) shoot as soon as they spawn, their bullets travel faster, their rate of fire is increased slightly, and their bullets do 2 damage.
-Bats move faster, do 2 points of damage, and swoop a bit higher and lower than before.

-The first boss (who was a total pushover in the first game) also got an overhaul. He's much faster, deals 4 points of damage, his sword swing actually has appropriate range to match the animation, and the walls of the arena are gone, so now you need to jump over him. Once you get the rhythm down, it's not too hard, but he's pretty tough at first.
-I plan to overhaul every boss eventually.

And there's more...
One of the first changes I made to the game involves enemy spawning behavior. Instead of spawning at the edge of the screen, enemies now spawn almost halfway towards the center- this gives you a lot less time to react to enemies like those crawling Ninjas. It's kind of an exaggerated parody of one of the quirks of the original game, where enemies seemed to materialize on the edges of the screen rather than scrolling onto it. It's pretty diabolical, but I think the challenge it adds is mostly fair, save for a few spots which can be adjusted by hand. I actually like the challenge this adds, but I think some people will find it cheap, and it looks kind of unpolished, so I'm considering toning it down or removing it for the final version (or maybe making two versions of the hack) - feedback would be appreciated on this.

I also made another change to spawning behavior. In the original game, an enemy would respawn instantly whenever you were standing in their 1-tile wide "spawn zone". Now the spawn zones have been greatly extended- probably to about 4 16x16 tiles. Now moving forward through the level to get past the spawn zones is even more critical than before. This is one change I'm probably going to keep. However, it causes some bugs with enemies sometimes spawning in walls, over pits, and other glitchy behaviors. I have a plan to fix this, I just haven't gotten around to it yet as it doesn't impact the gameplay much- it's more of a visual distraction.

Here are some YouTube videos. These were made before my recent changes to the Commandos, Ghouls, and Bats, but they nicely showcase the changes to the birds and spawning. Sorry for the awful quality- I couldn't figure out how to get fceux to record at a resolution higher than 240p.

Stage 3-1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKYOP_7zHks
Stage 4-2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmJq4PSjXmU
The first boss:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OSzkp4MUMw

Here's a download link for the IPS patch:
http://www.filedropper.com/ninjagaidenasshole_1

Oh, and savestates from the original game should work with the hack, but if anyone wants a savestate for the beginning of any level (ex. 3-1, if you want to check out the new bird AI), I can give you one.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 12:24:51 am by diaspora »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Ninja Gaiden: Asshole Edition (Alpha ver. download)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 02:11:27 am »
Oh, and savestates from the original game should work with the hack, but if anyone wants a savestate for the beginning of any level (ex. 3-1, if you want to check out the new bird AI), I can give you one.
If I recall, the RAM address for stage number (at least in the original) is $006E (00=1-1, 01=1-2, etc.). Could edit RAM in FCEUX, then die or something to refresh the level.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 01:24:59 pm »
Does this fix the hellish bug that forced you to travel through the entire final stage every time you died? At least that, please.

I've been forced to save state on the final stage because of that bug.

diaspora

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 07:17:17 pm »
Does this fix the hellish bug that forced you to travel through the entire final stage every time you died? At least that, please.

It wasn't a bug, just a cheap way of extending the game's length. The frustration of having to redo the last 3 levels is part of the classic Ninja Gaiden experience, so I'm not planning on removing it. But once the hack is finished, if I'm not able to beat the last act without savestates, then I will fix it. I wouldn't release anything I can't beat.

However, I definitely can make a patch of the original game to fix it, if you want.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 07:23:50 pm »

It is not a bug. The code makes it quite clear it was intentional. (that is actually the only place where it explicitly sets the level number. Otherwise it is implied 0 at the start of the game and will +1/-1 when you finish a stage or when you die.
(but don't bother posting that in the comments of an AVGN video or prepare to get ripped apart by some of his more unreasonable fans :P )

Googie

• Keepin' ROM Hacking gangsta since 2003, baby!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 07:25:19 pm »
Great work so far, I'll be keepin' an eye out for this one... ;)

TheLuigiLightning

• ROM hacking; it's like rearranging classical music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 05:30:21 pm »
Hey man.  I've read the description of this hack you're making, and I just want to say that I really like what you're doing here.  It reminds me a lot of what Trax did with his hack of Contra; Revenge of the Red Falcon.  That is hands down my favourite hack I've played, and he did a lot of similar things you're trying to do here; making the enemies faster, more aggressive, take more hits, projectiles move faster, and certain overhauls, and I see a lot of potential here.

However, with that being said, with what I saw on the YouTube videos, a lot of my excitement took a step back, because what I saw was that you were leaving the level layout completely unedited, so it's just Ninja Gaiden with more aggressive enemies.  That can sometimes be fun, but at the same time, it can be a little boring playing through a game you've played a million times, just to have a hazard buff.

When Trax made Revenge of the Red Falcon, it was clear that what he was doing was brilliant; he made all of the enemies much more aggressive, but he also made entirely new level layouts, and the levels were much longer.  It was absolutely amazing, and I want to see more hacks with that kind of work and dedication put into them.

When you don't change the level layout, or even where the enemies spawn, you're leaving yourself with very limited resources, and in the end, you're really not going to change much of the experience, and your hack will be very forgettable, and I do NOT want that to happen with the work you're doing at the moment!!  My recommendation is to first finish all of the ASM hacking you plan on doing for this hack, and release it in the pure form of Ninja Gaiden's original level layout as you have planned, but THEN, PLEASE create your own levels out of the game, and I assure you, you will have made the best Ninja Gaiden hack!  You're reigniting the memories that I had when I played Revenge of the Red Falcon, and it's very clear to me that this hack can go a long way if you put the full work into it like Trax.

Trax is a role model for hackers on this site; he put so much dedication into the hack that he made, and kept pushing until the job was done.  We can learn a lot from him!

I hope you see the potential that can come out of this if you create your own levels.
I am Luigi Lightning.  (You can just call me Luigi, though).
Some say my name is Luigi Lightning.  Others say I am a Lightning Luigi.  Some also say I am Luigi's Lightning.  Some even say I am some prodigy; The Luigi Lightning... guys, it's just a title.  You were correct the first time.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 06:09:32 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 12:34:20 pm by Chpexo »

obscurumlux01

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 06:33:40 pm »
It wasn't a bug, just a cheap way of extending the game's length. The frustration of having to redo the last 3 levels is part of the classic Ninja Gaiden experience, so I'm not planning on removing it. But once the hack is finished, if I'm not able to beat the last act without savestates, then I will fix it. I wouldn't release anything I can't beat.

However, I definitely can make a patch of the original game to fix it, if you want.

I remember an interview with the developers (Tecmo) some time ago referencing how it was originally an 'unintended bug/glitch' discovered during testing but it was kept in the game to make it that much harder.
Another 'unintended glitch' is that in 6-4 you will get a health refill between each final boss but if you still die to them at any point then if you have to try again you don't get any health refills.

Ninja Gaiden 1 is one of those games that was already hard as nails.  Making it harder seems to defeat the purpose of it but that's why we experiment.

The enemies spawning out of nowhere looks really bad/sloppy and is far worse than the screen-edge stuff from the original.  Enemies that can't be despawned at the edge is ok for a hardtype hack but having them spawn out of nowhere leads to some pretty silly looking glitches.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 06:47:16 pm by obscurumlux01 »

diaspora

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 03:00:50 am »
@TheLuigiLightning
In the beginning I was intending this as a novelty hack- something to torture my friends with, and to recapture the feeling of getting my ass kicked by this game as a kid. But hearing your enthusiasm has definitely pushed me to want to do something more ambitious- changing the level layouts I can definitely do, but we'll see how far I go with it.  ;)

@obscurumlux01:
About the enemy spawns, yeah, you're probably right. It makes it hard, but I think it will alienate a lot of players because people expect the difficulty to come from the game world itself, not game mechanics that are literally out to get the player (though I'm so masochistic that it doesn't really bother me).

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2015, 09:32:03 pm »
Is "kaizo" literally Japanese for "asshole"?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 10:55:36 am »
It actually means "modification" but the word became popularly known among ROM hackers due to certain popular Super Mario World hacks by a Japanese author. Some western fans decided to call the hacks Asshole Mario (I think they were actually untitled, but the videos were "making my friend play my Mario hack" or something).

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2015, 07:50:59 pm »
So much for my postulated "Oziak" series of hacks, which would remove Fake Difficulty from otherwise good games.  :(

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2015, 09:18:25 pm »
There is a hack called "Super Kusottare World" which more or less translates to "Super Asshole World", though.

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2015, 08:13:40 pm »
There is a hack called "Super Kusottare World" which more or less translates to "Super Asshole World", though.

The Super Maricón Bros. might want to look into that one!

TheLuigiLightning

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2015, 02:05:26 pm »
I really hope that this hack is still under development.
Some say my name is Luigi Lightning.  Others say I am a Lightning Luigi.  Some also say I am Luigi's Lightning.  Some even say I am some prodigy; The Luigi Lightning... guys, it's just a title.  You were correct the first time.

DANGER X

• Nes hacker & player
    • View Profile
    • Deadpool Nes
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2015, 11:50:42 am »
This is child's play, try my hack I promise you there is no chance to win (only if you're a crazy player), play only if you like the torture
Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nu43fy68dif1bg4/Ninja%20Gaiden%20in%20Hell.nes?dl=0
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Youav_C6ESs (sorry for the bad words but is in Romanian anyway  ;D)

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2015, 07:07:14 am »
I do declare that RHDN's latest "Full Member" has a wee bit of an obsessive complex!  :crazy:

dougeff

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2015, 08:49:31 am »
Wow, all 100 of the posts are exactly the same. I would report it to a moderator, but I can't imagine they didn't notice. It was not me, btw. I tried to keep the conversation civil at least.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

TheLuigiLightning

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2015, 12:12:20 pm »
I saw the message before it went away.  It was very shocking.