News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: What is the most disappointing game you played.  (Read 12923 times)

dougeff

• View Profile
What is the most disappointing game you played.
« on: September 07, 2015, 08:55:42 pm »
I was just thinking about old games, and I thought I'd start a conversation about bad games. Did you ever see a game in the store, and it looked so cool. And you got it home and it just SUCKED.

For me, I remember "Deadly Towers" being awful.

And I was hugely disappointed by Final Fantasy:Crisis Core for PSP.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 10:12:56 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 12:38:15 pm by Chpexo »

Idkbutlike2

• Beer Chozo
    • View Profile
Re: What is the most disappointing game you played.
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 11:14:51 pm »
Probably Xenogears. I played it a long time ago while being in that JRPG and emulation phase that I'm sure a lot of you guys had at some point. A lot of people said it was this great, underrated Square title, but I thought it was an awful plot dump. Somehow, though, I still managed to sit through the entire game. Go figure.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 11:42:43 pm »
Second on Skyward Sword.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 01:16:17 am »
Probably the Castlevanias on the PS2.

I finally got around to playing Legacy of Darkness on the N64 and loved it (much better than Castlevania 64) and was craving more 3D Castlevania goodness (wanted it so bad!). Unfortunately, neither Lament of Innocence or Curse of Darkness fealt like playing Castlevania. They fealt like Konami took some other games and tried to pass them off as Castlevania by adding CV graphics and music.

I was so disappointed because with Legacy of Darkness I truly fealt like I was experiencing an expansion of the Castlevania style of gameplay into a 3D environment. Tons of bosses, varied levels, beautiful atmospheric soundtrack and since it's Castlevania, lots of death by falling. You even had 4 different characters to choose from who each had their own variation of the game with each having a few levels and bosses that were unique to their game (and story). Next to it, the PS2 Castlevanias seemed so lame and false.

LoI had that cool feature where you had to choose items in real time (while you are getting your ass kicked by a boss) and a few characters but their games were practically the same and the whole game had those cheesy camera angles. Also, having to farm for cash to save up for items and equipment just doesn't belong in a real Castlevania. Plus there was the chance of falling to your death in maybe only two rooms and even then it would instantly respawn you (after a hilarious scream of course).

I didn't finish Curse of Darkness because the levels were so boring and most everything that was cool about the game (besides the boss fights) was just gimmicky excess that again, did not belong in a real Castlevania. Both games also had a fair number of corny pop tracks mixed into their soundtracks too.

So sad I cry tears of blood... :'(

EDIT: Oh man. I just remembered what I hated most about those stupid camera angles in LoI. They were constantly changing the perspective which meant that you had to reference your map way more than necessary because you never knew where you were going. Going left, down the hall was never just going left. You might go left, then the camera would be forced backwards or sideways and if you are constantly fighting and dodging things it's easy to lose track of which way you are ACTUALLY going. Especially at an intersection. Yeah, screw those games.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 01:23:37 am by SunGodPortal »
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 01:38:26 am »
Pokemon Stadium for the N64. I was so hyped up and excited for a Pokemon game in 3D and then.. that POS? It was just a bunch of battles!

This game still leaves a bad taste in my mouth, nearly ~15 years later.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 02:50:18 am »
The Legend of Dragoon: the story was incredibly dull and technically disappointing for a game usually defined by reviews as the anti-FF8.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 03:58:21 am »
Most disappointing does usually mean failure to live up to potential -- nobody expects a handheld tie in game to a kids live action TV show to be good so it is not so bad when it is not,

On some of the games mentioned.
The Legend of Dragoon. I also did not like it, I can possibly see why some like but it boring in story and the technical department sounds pretty apt to me.

Pokemon Stadium. I was always under the impression it was a put you mons on the big screen type thing. It worked there and had a couple of interesting twists -- the set level battles and such like.

Anyway

I almost want to say Perfect Dark Zero but I really can not recall much of it (I spent one evening with a friend's copy) and later we got the XBLA version of the game which did wonderfully for me.

I was already warned Sonic Adventure was not Sonic so when I got it bundled with my dreamcast I was not overly disappointed and the sequel when I played that did not bother me either - Sonic was pretty much dead at this point.

I once got a copy of a rainbow six game. I was not expecting much as I only wanted a network game but it was practically a single floor doom clone despite being made well into the quake era (I can not recall when it was made relative to the Delta Force games but I know of them by this point).

I have barely felt any desire to go back and play the main game of GTA4. I might do the Ballad of Gay Tony though as I never finished that, found the motorbike standalone expansion good though.

I am going to go with Chrono Trigger. I am always wary of hype, especially of 16 bit era games, but wow did this game not click for me. I would not consider it in one of the "if you want to call yourself someone that likes games you really ought to have played" games.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 04:38:01 am »
Did you ever see a game in the store, and it looked so cool. And you got it home and it just SUCKED.
I bought an used copy of Masters & Monsters : Disciples of Gaia for about $5. It looked like an amazing game on the cover, however it's one of the worst PS1 games I've had to play. Just look at the reviews on GameFaqs to have an idea how much it sucks.

I also bought a copy of Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume, a new and expensive copy unfortunately for me, and I really didn't like this game, it was dark, depressing and basically the scenario is that you are an evil guy wanting to kill as many people as possible (this includes your mates), the exact opposite of traditional JRPGs. In addition to this, the game is very hard.

Finally, I also bought an expensive new copy of Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter closely after its release day, and while the game didn't exactly suck, I never managed to figure out how to save my progress, which is almost the same result since I couldn't go further than about one hour of gameplay. Also I was expecting something more like the previous games in the series, so it was very disappointing indeed. I should use a walkthrough and retry this game someday.

I could also say I was disapointed by FF12 but that wouldn't be totally true since I expected the game to be mediocre in the first place, and I received a copy, I didn't buy it.

Probably the Castlevanias on the PS2.
I loved them personally (although they're in no way perfect I admit). If you were expecting them to be like SOTN then I understand you were disappointed.

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 05:29:54 am »
I bought a 100 dollar collectors edition of Final fantasy Type 0 after demoing the psp version.
The first level of the game is so much better than the rest of the game! Ugh! Small missions that only last 10 to 15 minutes, convoluted systems and a bunch of crap I just didn't like.

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 01:24:47 pm »
Two way tie for me between Ocarina of Time and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel.  Both kind of ruined their respective franchises for me.

Avster

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 01:34:36 pm »
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 06:59:13 pm by Avster »

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 04:39:20 pm »
Milon's Castle: I got this from a friend along with a couple other NES. I had no idea what it was when I first got it - if one were to look at the artwork on the cartridge, you'd think it would be some sort of epic Castlvania clone, complete with a dark, gloomy castle and lighning bolts streaking across the sky.

Instead, I'm treated to the worst experience I've had in gaming in the past decade.  I'd rather play Cheetahmen than this trash.

(Look up Angry Video Game Nerd's review of Milon's Shitty Asshole  Secret Castle on youtube,  he pretty musch gets the same impression I did)

Skyward Sword - Oh boy, going to the same few areas again and again, and a world map that feels like a fraction of the size of Wind Waker! Thanks Nintendo!

Though I'll admit it gets fun with certain cheats (infinite stamina, shooting skystrikes when at full health). I really, really fun.  But playing through this after playing through Twilight Princess (best world map in a 3D I've seen, it's like Ocarina of Time on steroids)  it was a letdown,

Duke Nukem Forever - They should've just canceled it and did a different Duke game entirely.  It wasn't worth paying full price for (which I regretfully did), and it quickly dropped to 5-10 bucks at the local Gamestop.

Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Bonesy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 05:05:42 pm »
beyond the beyond.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2015, 05:18:47 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 12:38:42 pm by Chpexo »

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 07:18:18 pm »
Chrono Cross. I was so excited for this game when it came out for PS that I bought it pretty much sight unseen. It was the first time I can remember thinking that Square had failed me.

Then there was FFXII. I still haven't finished the damn thing. The Gambit system had some promise, and in retrospect is certainly better than the mindless retardfest that is FFXIII's battle system, but it was way too heavy on strategic preparation and way too light on fun gameplay and interesting story. As I write this, I realize that I can't really even remember what's going on in the story. I know some kids team up with some pirates to take on an oppressive empire, but then again that's the basic plotline of 50% of all JRPGs. I remember losing interest about midway through and thinking, man, I can't believe it! Square has really failed me... Oh, wait, I almost forgot - Chrono Cross.

Then, probably like a dumbass, I bought a PS3 for the express purpose of being able to play FFXIII. I'll let you make your own inferences about how much of a successful venture I consider that to have been.

They're probably tied three ways for most disappointing game.

Whatever that Bond game was that was the follow-up to GoldenEye was pretty asstastic, too.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2015, 07:19:09 pm »
The thing about Skyward's Swords overworld is that it feels like such a huge waste of space. Wind Waker was an offender of this where certain areas were just coral reefs or fairy ponds, but Skyward Sword's overworld feels completely barren of content; many of the areas to explore are just tiny islands with hardly any content.

You just summed up Ocarina of Time.

Why does everyone give that game a pass?  Not only is this tolerated there, but that game is frequently considered the best in the series -- and it's awful!

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2015, 07:36:17 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 12:39:03 pm by Chpexo »

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2015, 07:54:48 pm »
Grandia 3 and The Last Story are tied for me.

Grandia 3 because I love 1 and 2 so much and then....good god 3 was just so bad in almost every way I could imagine.  I kept thinking it would get better, and then the final boss told me his goal was to "destroy the power of love", and I about killed myself for toughing it out for ~45 hours.

The Last Story I was totally jacked for when I heard about it.  Less so when I saw the gameplay, but I picked it up anyways, because I loved Lost Odyssey, and those guys wouldn't dare let me down.  But then big parts of the overarching plot were pretty much completely ripped straight from a novel series I'd read (Malazan Book of the Fallen if anyone is interested), and outside of the big plot twist at the very end (which I legit didn't see coming and was actually really well done) was just a generally bad story overall.  I felt legitimate disappointment when I finished that game.

PKstarship

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2015, 08:07:03 pm »
The most disappointing game I've played is Shadow the Hedgehog. I wanted the game so bad for a few years, but when I got it, I was really let down. I played it for a bit and then just gave up on it. I feel it's worse than other Sonic games like Sonic R or Sonic Heroes.