News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Earthbound Beginnings (Wii U) - You thoughts?  (Read 5004 times)

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
Earthbound Beginnings (Wii U) - You thoughts?
« on: September 06, 2015, 03:34:55 pm »
A little while back Nintendo finally decided to realease Mother 1 on virtual Console. What are your thoughts on it? Did Nintendo improve upon it in any meaningful way, or did they just slap the name Earthbound on it and send it out there?

Judging by the screens I've seen, that's basically all it is.  Which is bit lame, as the Mother 25th Anniversary Edition hack  improved upon the original game in such extremely good ways that I couldn't seei myself paying money for a re-elease of the vanilla game. In literally every field (in my opinion anyway), Mother 25AE completely trounces the original.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Re: Earthbound Beginnings (Wii U) - You thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 04:20:12 pm »
You're making a comparison and comment that's a little out of place.

M25AE is a ROM Hack.
Since when do developers release ROM hacks of their games in the VC?

EarthBound Beginnings is the game that was intended to be released back in the 80's before the release of the SNES, and the original MOTHER localization for the USA that Nintendo held all these years.

You are missing the point of what the VC really is, which is simply a way to play retro games in newer consoles AS THEY ORIGINALLY WERE RELEASED BACK IN THE DAY.

If you want a touched up version of the game, look forward for a Remastered or Remake of it, not the VC release.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 07:26:24 pm »
TBH, I really disliked the original Mother.  The 25th Anniversary hack fixed a lot of the problems the original had (namely getting smoked by all the enemies all the time), but when those gripes were fixed, I realized how weak the original game actually was.

I mean, the concepts and stuff were great, but they lacked so much depth when compared to Earthbound that I just didn't understand what the developers were thinking.  I mean, there are SO MANY PSI powers in Mother, but I can literally count the pieces of equipment in the whole game on my hands (a few toes too)--why would you think that's balanced?  I finished the 25th Anniversary version eventually, but I didn't like it.

But yeah, there's no way I'm buying the VC version.  I tried playing the original awhile ago, and slogged up until you got Ted...and then the ROM stopped dead and told me I was playing a bootlegged copy of the game.  What a joke

/endrant

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 10:19:28 pm »
I tried playing the original awhile ago, and slogged up until you got Ted...and then the ROM stopped dead and told me I was playing a bootlegged copy of the game.  What a joke

... but you WERE playing a bootlegged copy (a rom) of the game. How is that the game's fault?

Onto the main topic, I sadly could never get into Mother 1. Mother 2 just managed to do everything it did, but better. For what it was at the time, it was probably impressive, but sadly I couldn't see the appeal.

Regarding comparing Nintendo's efforts versus a fan effort made with nearly 30 years of hindsight to work on, it's frankly an unfair comparison. The virtual console doesn't exist as a "revisiting" of old games, but simply releases old games as they were back in the day. The game was originally translated for release in the US, and simply never got shipped by Nintendo, so there's no "name being slapped on" for sales.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 11:21:17 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 12:36:51 pm by Chpexo »

Bonesy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 11:04:09 am »
i'd rather play mother 3 or return of touhou mother

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 02:29:13 pm »
i'd rather play mother 3 or return of touhou mother

I've never heard of Return of Touhou Mother, is it some sort of  crossover title?  Also, I enjoyed Mother 3, but idk... just sort of lost interest  after getting a good ways into it.
It's a good game and all,  but something about it lacked that modern-esque quirkyness I loved about Mother 1 & 2.

You're making a comparison and comment that's a little out of place.

M25AE is a ROM Hack.
Since when do developers release ROM hacks of their games in the VC?

EarthBound Beginnings is the game that was intended to be released back in the 80's before the release of the SNES, and the original MOTHER localization for the USA that Nintendo held all these years.

You are missing the point of what the VC really is, which is simply a way to play retro games in newer consoles AS THEY ORIGINALLY WERE RELEASED BACK IN THE DAY.

If you want a touched up version of the game, look forward for a Remastered or Remake of it, not the VC release.

Yeah, that was a unfair of me.  When I first heard about it coming to Wii U, I had just finished playing through M1 25thAE, and hadn't noticed the fact it was a virtual console title.  I had the (admittedly dumb) impression it was going to be some sort of light Remake/Remastered version, perhaps borrowing a little from Mother 2's mechanics or graphical style.  While I was bummed to hear it was just the original (though it's about time the US gets to see a proper release), I still have a fairly good reason to begin saving up for a Wii U - That sweet, sweet new Zelda title with what looks like the giant explorable world I've been hoping for since playing Twilight Princess.

The Virtual Console's a pretty great concept.  It gives gamers that don't want to hack their Wii/U to emulate games (which is actually easier than putting custom firmware on a PSP) the chance to experience them again or for the first time.

Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

obscurumlux01

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 03:18:35 pm »
Actually trying to appeal to Earthbound fans that have long since played the ROMs already?  After an entire enthusiast community went out of their way to purchase and preserve a forlorn prototype cartridge?

After that same crazy-insane-awesome Earthbound-enthusiast community took the time, money, and love to send entire works of art and music and everything to Nintendo Japan and NEVER receive a response!?

Fuck you, Nintendo.  FUCK YOU.  Too little too late.  This seems like a desperate cash grab now.  This game is overdue by over 20+ years.  >_>

Tharthan

• Groovemaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 11:12:35 am »
@obscurumlux01 Would you rather they never released anything at all?