Translations: Dracula X retranslation complete

Started by RHDNBot, September 06, 2009, 10:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kajitani-Eizan

all of that sounds reasonable, but especially given the IRC, it's really hard to interpret it any other way than gemini being exactly as accusatory/whatever as i'm making him out to be. the nitty gritty is hidden behind the spoiler tag (is there any way to collapse those to not take up space?).

and again, this "redundant" thing should be taken in context. the point was that people were wondering why people do retranslations of already translated games, the implication being that it's a waste of time and effort. (it appears that i'm the one who started using the word "redundant"; if that's what's setting people off, i apologize. perhaps using "retranslation" instead of "redundant" translation would be more agreeable?) because ToP PSX was specifically cited as an example of one such game that is getting retranslations, i pointed out that his ToP PSX was one of those retranslations, because at the time it was announced, another ongoing project was already making good progress. the observation that gemini was the guy behind both ToP PSX and SotN was supposed to have been humorous, not rage-inducing. i apologize for my lack of foresight, but surely you can see how this was at least a somewhat relevant comment to make? it's not like i was TRYING to SEEM like i'm being deliberately confrontational or whatever, nor was i actually being that.

Spoiler
Quote from: Corsair on September 09, 2009, 12:57:26 AMFirst he never *pegged* the PP project, he merely stated that his project started earlier than most people thought.

and that "cless was a lot behind schedule when we revealed our project" (i.e. his progress was weaksauce). this COULD have just been a fairly innocuous comment, of course... not likely coming from gemini, but it COULD have been. and of course, as i suspected, it turned out to indeed be anything but innocuous. but it's not just this, it's the other accusation of redundancy, covered below.

QuoteSecond, he never claimed that his project was *free* of the same problems the other was having, you put those words in his mouth.

well, first, i didn't mention any problems with his project at first, so that's not totally relevant. second, he DID essentially claim that, because he claimed his project was the relevant one because the other one sucked due to various issues. this makes no sense unless you are implying that your project is superior due to it not having such issues.

Quote"seeing as it's the only one released, i'm not so sure it's the redundant one"

This isn't an accusation of the other project being redundant, it's a defense of his project *not* being redundant.

no, it's most definitely an accusation. if he were just defending, he would have said "i'm not so sure it's redundant". if you think i'm overanalyzing his post:

Quote from: #RHDN on IRC<Gemini> at the time halablawhatever didn't even know what delay slots were
<Gemini> sorry, but the redundant one is the one that is useless at this point
<Gemini> and afaik, mine was used quite a lot
<Gemini> so rant all you want, my point is still valid

sorry, but i'm not sure how else that can reasonably be interpreted. he's clearly saying the other project is not only redundant, but "useless".

QuoteI've got more examples, if you'd care for me to share them, but for brevity's sake, i'll move on.

i would be curious, yes. i could see how you could think i'm just overreacting to his posts just given the conversation in the thread. but given the IRC conversation as well, it's pretty hard to interpret it that way.

QuoteI don't personally think it's fair to call -anyone's- project "redundant", which is exactly what you called Gemini out on for practically no reason. Tongue-in-cheek or not, it was unprovoked; what kind of reaction did you expect, anyway?

yes, looking back it was ill-advised to make that joke, considering gemini's personality. especially since doom saber/I.S.T.'s comment elicited a more detailed clarification from me. i'm not sure how this logically calls for gemini calling the OTHER project redundant, when it clearly is not, and following that up with essentially insults flung at said project, though.

Quoteso one can only -assume- that such out-of-place criticisms aren't exactly voiced with the purest of intentions.

well, yes, they were specifically pointed out to point out to gemini that it's not like his work is some kind of flawless gift from heaven, making his work relevant and other projects redundant by virtue of his being so much better even though he started much later or anything like that. and you'll note that most or all of them are things he can correct, i.e. it's constructive. and i believe i had already mentioned a bunch of them to him prior via various channels, such as the official Personal Projects thread, via thhim, or maybe even via IRC, i forget.

but my real concern there is that a few people responded with "why are you nitpicking his work, it was awesome!" that's flawed reasoning. just because something is awesome doesn't mean it is above criticism.
[close]

BRPXQZME

we are in a horrible and deadly danger

golden

Kajitani-Eizan

c'mon guys stop straying off topic. this is how it's done:

KillerBob

Sorry for the necroposting, but I just wanted to thank the team for this great project. Amazing to see what hostility this project was met with.  :( I had a real blast playing this one with your retranslation. I admit that I don't know japanese one bit but this one seemed very professional and well done to me.

I did noticed that Richter Belmont goes by the name Belmond or was it Belmondo in the ending of the game despite being translated Belmont in the rest of the game, so that might be something to correct if this project ever gets an update.

Thank you! At least you made this gamer happy.  :)

cralso

Hi.
I used the Gemini translation patch with:
Akumajou Dracula X - Gekka no Yasoukyoku (J) (v1.2) [SLPM-86023]
But I see that there is a small bug with the $50 bag when is apply the retranslation.
Instead of showing the bag of $50 shows the cross.

Some images (Original and with patch):

fosterpants

cralso, I am not seeing that issue at all. I got to the first two parts of the game out of the three you've screened, and I get the normal bag sprite. The one issue I've managed to find is the castle in the intro text has a gap in the sprite after applying the patch:

I've only "played" for about 10 minutes, so there could be more issues that I wouldn't know about, but there you go.

SC

Quote from: cralso on April 19, 2015, 12:51:08 PM
Hi.
I used the Gemini translation patch with:
Akumajou Dracula X - Gekka no Yasoukyoku (J) (v1.2) [SLPM-86023]

The patch's instruction PDF file says:
QuoteIMPORTANT NOTE: The patch can only be applied to the very first print of the game (not the one which
comes with the OST CD and the manga), with ID code SLPM 86023. Don't even try using PAL or NA disks.
So you need Akumajou Dracula X - Gekka no Yasoukyoku (J) (v1.0) [SLPM-86023]

Gemini

That is actually an error I made there, since the disc I own is the "1.2" version (aka the one with slim jewel case, should be PSOne Books). If you try patching anything else the game will simply hang.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

SC

Quote from: Gemini on May 14, 2015, 12:15:42 PM
That is actually an error I made there, since the disc I own is the "1.2" version (aka the one with slim jewel case, should be PSOne Books). If you try patching anything else the game will simply hang.
Really? Oh, that's completely unexpected! What's the Hash/CRC32/Checksum of your flawless version? Would be convenient to know.

Gemini

I have no idea to be honest, hashes tend to be completely different depending on whatever software you use for ripping the ISO. I never bother using them, and as a matter of fact I only included the crc32 for the main exe alone. That should be more than you need to make sure your ISO is compatible.

fosterpants

Quote from: SC on May 14, 2015, 10:30:20 AM
The patch's instruction PDF file says:So you need Akumajou Dracula X - Gekka no Yasoukyoku (J) (v1.0) [SLPM-86023]

I also used 1.2 (I used it because the crc matched, and neither 1.0 nor 1.1 matched), and didn't find the same issue. Only the one I've screenshotted above.

cralso

QuoteReally? Oh, that's completely unexpected! What's the Hash/CRC32/Checksum of your flawless version? Would be convenient to know.
Yes, it's a shame not work with version 1.2 perfectly :(
Then no one else has the same problem that I have with the version 1.2?

QuoteThe patch's instruction PDF file says:So you need Akumajou Dracula X - Gekka no Yasoukyoku (J) (v1.0) [SLPM-86023]
I remember tested with 1.0 and 1.1 also, but ok, I'll try again with the version you comment.

KillerBob

Seeing that the intro text have the word bloodline in it split in two, is writing it bloodline or blood line just two different ways of writing the word? Are both ways considered correct English? Sorry if my question is stupid but English is not my native language.

SunGodPortal

QuoteSeeing that the intro text have the word bloodline in it split in two, is writing it bloodline or blood line just two different ways of writing the word? Are both ways considered correct English? Sorry if my question is stupid but English is not my native language.

I believe "bloodline" is correct, though "blood line" is technically not incorrect. Either way is pretty much the same.

Since you mentioned that you are not a native English speaker I would like to point out that much of the time non-English speakers do this sort of thing mistakenly. Black metal bands tend to do this a lot. I'd say it started because it was foreign music but now Enlish speakers do the same thing because it's basically become a part of the style.

Examples:
Gorgoroth - Sexual Bloodgargling
Mayhem - Chainsaw Gutsfuck
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

KillerBob

Quote from: SunGodPortal on June 03, 2015, 03:06:09 PM
I believe "bloodline" is correct, though "blood line" is technically not incorrect. Either way is pretty much the same.

Since you mentioned that you are not a native English speaker I would like to point out that much of the time non-English speakers do this sort of thing mistakenly. Black metal bands tend to do this a lot. I'd say it started because it was foreign music but now Enlish speakers do the same thing because it's basically become a part of the style.

Examples:
Gorgoroth - Sexual Bloodgargling
Mayhem - Chainsaw Gutsfuck
I see, thanks for answering! Got me thinking of the ways some type Mega Man as one word and that in Japan his name and other robots in that universe is written as one word, Rockman, Elecman etc,.  :)

fosterpants

Quote from: Gemini on May 14, 2015, 12:15:42 PM

Is this SLPM-86073?

Gemini

fosterpants

I suppose there's some misinformation out there, hence my confusion.

The Sony site lists SLPM-86023, SLPM-86073, and SLPM-87328, and these must refer to 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2 respectively, and either 1.1 and 1.2, or just 1.2 come with some bug fixes. A lot of people seem to think that SLPM-86073 and SLPM-87328 refer to different disc IDs than the original SLPM-86023, but it seems like they just refer to the different product IDs, and each product came with the SLPM-86023 game disc (despite some bug fixes in the later versions), at least according to both your experience and the experience of people at redump.org.

There's also some confusion as to whether "The Best" and "PSone books" versions were different versions, depending on which site I believe. For example, multiple sites (Playstation site among them) show there were two separate releases for 1.1 and 1.2 in 1998 and 2003, whereas some (like redump.org) seem to amalgamate the releases into one 1998 release.

Makes it a bit difficult for me to obtain a CD when they cost as much as they do and I'm not sure of the version I'm getting. For now I think I'll stick with the copy I have.

Edit: I've seen pictures of the 1998 "The Best" CD, and it does seem to have SLPM-86073 on it, despite it apparently being an older release than the SLPM-87328 "PSone Books" release you have with the SLPM-86023 CD.

From what I can tell based on pictures and the Playstation site, there was an original 1.0 release in 1997 - SLPM-86023. In 1998 there was a 1.1 "The Best" release - SLPM-86073. In 2003 there was a 1.2 "PSone Books" release - SLPM-87328 with an SLPM-86023 CD inside(?). Presumably then, the 1.0 and 1.2 release are the original game, with the 1.1 release having some bug fixes. It's not consistent with redump.org or wikipedia, but I'd trust picture evidence and the official site more. It also doesn't really make sense that the 1.2 release contained the buggy first edition CD, but maybe it was an error on Konami's part, or perhaps the "SLPM-86023" in the 1.2 release is incorrectly labelled.

Could you tell me if you can get the fairy singing in your version? That's apparently one of the things that was "fixed" in SLPM-86073.

Edit: didn't notice that the redump.org pages were listing EXE dates rather than release dates. Apparently the different disc IDs still refer to exactly the same discs, but with different external labels. Anyway, my exe matches the one required by this patch, so again I guess I'll keep my copy.

TL;DR: Apparently this patch should work on SLPM-86023, SLPM-86073, and SLPM-87328 discs as long as the disc is the 1.2 version, as all three labels refer to the same thing.

Thirteen 1355

This game is much more mature now!

Thanks for this project!

Unfortunate that people tend to cling to nostalgia so much and think this was a waste of time.

Nostalgia is a very powerful thing.
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.