News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Silvain kart AI update (Super MarioKart hack)  (Read 4542 times)

thedarkbanshee

• View Profile
Silvain kart AI update (Super MarioKart hack)
« on: August 27, 2015, 04:13:26 am »
Super MarioKart Silvain kart
    An old hack by Silvain with good tracks that dropped the ball do to the AI setup for the original tracks along with all item boxes, coins & more left in their original positions.

I have since updated the AI along with all item boxes, coins & such for a more enjoyable game over all. I have made track additions such as obstructions holes shortcuts & longer tracks. My overall goal was to make this enjoyable for myself & to share my enjoyment with others. I found the original game to be far to easy and I found other difficult hacks like SMK pro edition to be impossible on the 150cc mode unless there has been an update that I missed since it was released. My goal is to make the hack as hard as possible all while being able to beat every track in all 3 cc classes in first place with out using any shortcuts.

20 custom Silvain tracks by Silvain
18 tracks out of 20 have a perfect AI suited well for all cc classes
2 tracks needing AI editing and more coins
4 non Silvain custom battle maps -  Attempting to produce the best battle maps ever created
learning how to create a custom title screen & possibly custom backgrounds

Video footage (Note maps slightly outdated)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU7QpBy9498

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
Re: Silvain kart AI update (Super MarioKart hack)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 05:04:41 am »
Do you need unique sprites for Luigi's bottom-half?

thedarkbanshee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 01:17:54 pm »
I gather you ask do to Luigi and mario being identical with different colors?

Honestly I do not know how to change the sprites. I need to learn that part.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 02:17:18 pm »

YYCHR's a good tool for it, and you can use ZSNES savestates to figure out the palettes in a snap.

Looking at the rom YYCHR, the character sprites are pretty much right in the open too.  :D

Do you need unique sprites for Luigi's bottom-half?

He means that Mario and Luigi literally share the same bottom-half of a sprite.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 08:35:48 pm »
I jailbroke the shared-lower-half thing for a Mario Kart hack of my own a few months back. It requires a simple ROM expansion, so you might want to hold off until you're done doing any/all Utility-based work.

thedarkbanshee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 01:54:51 am »
Awsome! I will gladly accept your jailbroke Luigi as long as you help me import it and sucessfully get it to work.

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 02:37:52 am »
Awsome! I will gladly accept your jailbroke Luigi as long as you help me import it and sucessfully get it to work.

Making things work is Dr. Floppy's style!

ROM expansion tends to make games stop being recognized by hacking utilities (Tile Editors being a noted exception). So when you're done with that sort of thing, shoot me the ROM a totally random assortment of 0's and 1's at DrFloppyMD(at)aol(dot)com.

thedarkbanshee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 05:51:12 pm »
Sounds good to me though one question. If ROM expansion tends to make games stop being recognized by hacking utilities then that means other users may not change my works to their own liked or additions. If Silvain kart had such restrictions I would not have been able to make this hack possible. If epic edit will not work with the game after the ROM expansion that I will have to provide the game twice in the download being one with updated Luigi and one with out. Thanks for the heads up.

September 04, 2015, 12:32:38 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Here are images of all 20 maps No Battle images. I d not want to give these away just yet but they are complete. I actually have more then 4 battle maps & I'm looking for users to vote in the best of the best once this thread pics up.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 12:33:01 am by thedarkbanshee »

thedarkbanshee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 08:36:22 pm »
Making things work is Dr. Floppy's style!

ROM expansion tends to make games stop being recognized by hacking utilities (Tile Editors being a noted exception). So when you're done with that sort of thing, shoot me the ROM a totally random assortment of 0's and 1's at DrFloppyMD(at)aol(dot)com.

I would love to get started with your jailbroke luigi and what ever else you may have to offer. I finished the hack as far as i can tell thus far. I will be uploading the file asap and provide a link to it here

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 08:55:47 pm »
Posting direct links to ROMs is against the rules. He told you to email him the ROM. Why don't you just do that?

thedarkbanshee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 09:19:56 pm »
Well I was going to use the IPS feature and add it to the romhacking database.

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2016, 08:30:26 pm »
I learned the other day that expanded ROMS (specifically, the expansion I did to give Luigi unique lower-half sprites) are still compatible with Epic Edit. Two caveats:

1) Upon saving, Epic Edit likes to blank-out the new Luigi tiles in the expanded area. This can be easily (albeit annoyingly) overcome by keeping a Failsafe.smc file on-hand, and copy/pasting the Luigi tile data back where it ought to be.

2) Epic Edit also modulates track data wherever it deems appropriate. If the empty space towards the end of certain track data sectors is used for non-track data, it will likely be kerfuckled.

thedarkbanshee

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 12:27:39 am »
Ok well if it can work even if it has it's hiccups I have my backup files. Always willing to try. I was thinking of editing the menu screen as well.

Anyway I hope you got my E-mail. I sent the rom hack. I also hope you can give it a test try. Just because I can beat it does not mean others can. I would like your opinion on how hard it is. Already found out my brother thinks it is to hard. I may make an alternative easier one for gamers who are not so advanced while keeping true to my current one.

I hope you can enjoy the challenge.

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 02:40:36 pm »
It's definitely challenging. Not sure if it's intentional or not, but there seems to be a zoning issue just prior to the lapline in Monty Swamp 1. I go from 1st to 4th to 1st again with nobody passing nobody. Conversely, I've been in 8th place, then someone passes me as we both cross the lapline and I'm suddenly in 5th.

My steroids decided to work today, so I was able to complete the Luigi uniqueification procedure. Turns out the ROM is already expanded fourfold! That said, do copy the stuff from $[C2200-C81FF] and stash it in a separate file for safekeeping prior to further alterations in Epic Edit.

Expect a completely random assortment of bits in your emailbox sometime this afternoon.

Oh, that "one for nothing" lap in Koopa Castle 1?

:beer: