Megaman X5 patch to take out the tutorial messages

Started by vbksyzal, August 21, 2015, 08:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vbksyzal

How come there are so many complicated hacks to play as Zero in Megaman X3 but no one came up with this simple fix?
Should be a simple fix, I think, the first time you run through a stage Alia stops you in your tracks to teach you how to jump, climb up ladders and patronizing stuff like that. These messages only show up once then never again.
A possible way to do this would be go through a stage once searching for zeros, then after you've seen the messages go through it again searching for ones and vice versa. Search for like a byte that says MessageSeen = True.

What do you guys think?

Seihen

Fortunately, since it's so easy to do that, you'll have no problem making that patch and submitting it to the site!
We look forward to your work product and appreciate your efforts.  :beer:

vbksyzal

Quote from: Seihen on August 21, 2015, 06:14:48 PM
Fortunately, since it's so easy to do that, you'll have no problem making that patch and submitting it to the site!
We look forward to your work product and appreciate your efforts.  :beer:
That's the thing, I was thinking of coming up with a gameshark code or something that edits the ram. I  don't know how CD images editing would work.

August 22, 2015, 02:52:43 PM - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

Quote from: RetroHelix on August 21, 2015, 09:23:23 AM
Just do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuHfVn_cfHU
F* Yeah, Shia! I will! Maybe.
As soon I get back home and stop being a lazy ass.

MeganGrass

Quote from: vbksyzal on August 21, 2015, 08:37:34 AMSearch for like a byte that says MessageSeen = True.

What do you guys think?

Wow.

I think you've seen to many pros at work and have somehow tricked yourself into thinking stuff like this is easy. Granted, something like this wouldn't be extraordinarily difficult and can be accomplished by either GameShark or patch (no, I'm not even remotely interested in doing it), but you make it sound as if it can be accomplished in a snap with absolutely minimal to no effort.

You've got spirit kid, I'll give you that... but it wouldn't hurt to learn when you're being made fun of and mocked in these kinds situations.

VicVergil

Er...
Why do you assume a game has a shiny glowing "MessageSeen = True" variable or ini file entry?
Not all games are programmed in the same way.
Especially not games from that era.
Chances are, even if you found an ini file saying just that, it wouldn't even work at all.

QuoteA possible way to do this would be go through a stage once searching for zeros, then after you've seen the messages go through it again searching for ones and vice versa. Search for like a byte that says MessageSeen = True.

You mean the flag for showing the message?
What are you searching for? A bit? A byte?
If you do get the RAM address with the value, how do you implement your fix?
If it's a gameshark code, how do you ensure that area of RAM won't be used for something else?
For instance, in Terranigma, the same flags are used across different dungeons with very different behaviors. So you just enable/disable the gameshark code just for the first area?
How do you make it so that it affects that area and that behavior (tutorial message) specifically?
Which (RAM or ISO data) do you need to alter? What do you need to know?

QuoteHow come there are so many complicated hacks to play as Zero in Megaman X3
Everyone works with the games and systems they prefer and/or are more familiar with, when they feel like it.
They're not slacking off on some quest of theirs to restore peace and harmony to ALL games.

Quotebut no one came up with this simple fix?
Should be a simple fix
Why do you assume so? Do you have some know-how about the different ways a game might be altered?

Also, did you think about altering the text data for those messages directly and try and see what happens?
Relative search. Hex editor. Do it.