News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Need help with a NES translation  (Read 1978 times)

infinest

• View Profile
Need help with a NES translation
« on: August 18, 2015, 06:33:17 pm »
Hey there!

So i wanted to make a patch to play the prototype rom of the japanese Monster Party in english.
This is pretty much my first translation so i'm pretty happy that everything was going so well and i already translated some of the stuff ingame. Most of the dialogue is only the boss enemies talking but after finishing the dialogues for the first level i wanted to translate the intro next.
For now i just wanted to put the intro text from the english release into the rom but there is one thing i can't find a way to fix and i think you guys will definitely know how to fix it.
Basically in the intro script 'FF' tells the game to switch to the next scene and continue on with the script. My problem here is that it seems to be hardcoded in where the script skips to next.
For the first two scene switches there was no problem since i simply left a gap and
continued my text where it would skip to (probably not very good either) but the third one is what kills it. The third scene change jumps to a portion of text that has already been displayed so it basically repeats itself.
Here's a screenshot which should show what exactly i mean. The red signs are the scene change bytes.

And here's a recording of it ingame repeating itself
click

I already tried finding pointers but i had no luck. This might've been my incompetence though.  I'm kinda bummed at this point and i don't know how exactly i could find out more via FCEUX's debugger. Any tips on how i can try fixing this?
Well if anyone wants to help me out here is the download with the ips and the table file.
click

The original rom's name is just "Monster Party Famicom Proto.nes" and should be easy to find
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 06:48:47 pm by infinest »

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with a NES translation
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 03:30:59 pm »
So i wanted to make a patch to play the prototype rom of the japanese Monster Party in english.

Wasn't there a proper US release?

I already tried finding pointers but i had no luck. This might've been my incompetence though.

Pointer table looks to be at offset 0x11F92 -- it's even visible in the screenshot  ;D

B4 9F 18 A0 6B A0 B9 A0 ....

are pointers for:
$9FB4 -> 0x11FC4
$A018 -> 0x12028
$A06B -> 0x1207B
$A0B9 -> 0x120C9

Flip the bytes, then add $8010 to get the offset

I found it with Ctrl+F -- but I know a bit about NES architecture so I knew what to look for.

1) You're dealing with an MMC1 game, which means that banks are $4000 bytes in size.
2) Your text is in the 0x10010 - 0x1400F bank, so it's almost certain your pointers are going to be in that range as well.
3) MMC1 [usually] puts swappable banks in the $8000-BFFF area in CPU mem.  Which means offset 0x10010 would be mapped to $8000.  This is how I got the "add $8010" value for calculating pointers.
4) From there, I saw that text started at 0x12028, so I knew the pointer had to be $A018, so I did a Ctrl+F search for "18 A0" starting from offset 0x10010

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 01:40:28 am »
Someone axed me this same question a few weeks back...

Analyze the values at zp$21 and zp$22. They reflect the macro/micro scene changes of the opening/ending narrations. If you have a concrete storyboard planned-out already, I can advise you further on how to make it fit within the game's confines.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 09:26:12 am »
Not familiar with this game, I guess.
Getting the Japanese proto dumped was a big deal because it was known, from old magazine screenshots of the Japanese version, the US version (the only official release) was significantly censored.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

infinest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 11:03:55 am »

Pointer table looks to be at offset 0x11F92 -- it's even visible in the screenshot  ;D

B4 9F 18 A0 6B A0 B9 A0 ....

are pointers for:
$9FB4 -> 0x11FC4
$A018 -> 0x12028
$A06B -> 0x1207B
$A0B9 -> 0x120C9

Flip the bytes, then add $8010 to get the offset

I found it with Ctrl+F -- but I know a bit about NES architecture so I knew what to look for.

1) You're dealing with an MMC1 game, which means that banks are $4000 bytes in size.
2) Your text is in the 0x10010 - 0x1400F bank, so it's almost certain your pointers are going to be in that range as well.
3) MMC1 [usually] puts swappable banks in the $8000-BFFF area in CPU mem.  Which means offset 0x10010 would be mapped to $8000.  This is how I got the "add $8010" value for calculating pointers.
4) From there, I saw that text started at 0x12028, so I knew the pointer had to be $A018, so I did a Ctrl+F search for "18 A0" starting from offset 0x10010
Thanks i actually already found out how the NES handles Pointers exactly but definitely a helpful post.
I kinda feel stupid that these were literally right above the intro ._. but to be honest this is my first time doing anything with NES stuff so i guess im allowed to make one stupid mistake :)

Someone axed me this same question a few weeks back...

Analyze the values at zp$21 and zp$22. They reflect the macro/micro scene changes of the opening/ending narrations. If you have a concrete storyboard planned-out already, I can advise you further on how to make it fit within the game's confines.
I actually already got pretty far with this. Everything up to World 7 is fully translated. Menus,Continue Screen, Password Screen and all Bosses.
I've found a wiki that actually has pretty good translations im mostly trying to stay close to.
First of all thanks for the offer but what exactly would you mean with that if i might ask? The game itself doesn't really have that much story and you really only read about it in the intro and ending.
For now i actually have the US intro in it and i might not even change it since it's really close to the original. Just has different wording and the characters names are different.
I've also added an unused boss to world 7 that went previously unused. Doesn't seem to be completely finished but it's definitely interesting to have in there

Not familiar with this game, I guess.
Getting the Japanese proto dumped was a big deal because it was known, from old magazine screenshots of the Japanese version, the US version (the only official release) was significantly censored.

Exactly!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 11:20:30 am by infinest »