News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: 7th Saga long time players, please recommend me the best balancing patch  (Read 3711 times)

Synnae

• View Profile
I've played the vanilla version of 7th Saga before, but that was years ago and I could never finish it because I could not get past the Priest battle. I tried everything I could but it was simply impossible to beat him. So I quit the game.

Everyone knows the vanilla version's difficulty is brutal, but now balancing patches exist. Problem is, there are quite a few of them and I'm not sure what to choose. I'm undecided between those:

1) Easier 7th Saga (by Shatai)   
2) 7th Saga Redux (by Nati)
3) 7th Saga+ (by Red X)
4) 7th Saga: The New Class (by Nati)

I read the descriptions of each but I don't have a lot of experience with 7th Saga, so I remain undecided. I was wondering if the players that already tried those patches can recommend me the patch they enjoyed most. I'm just looking for the most balanced and comfortable one.

EDIT: Nevermind. I only realized now this is a rather awkward question to make, and after pondering enough, I decided 7th Saga Redux will be the version I will play. This topic serves no purpose anymore so feel free to lock it, mods.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 04:43:34 pm by Synnae »

VicVergil

• View Profile
Re: 7th Saga long time players, please recommend me the best balancing patch
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 04:27:25 am »
The Japanese version didn't have the balancing issues, the US version did.
There are patches to restore the JP difficulty in the US version (which also should be compatible with your save... however the level-up data and stats might (or not) be beyond repair).
And there are patches that make the game easier.
And there's a patch that makes the game braindead easy like the "very easy" setting in Tales games, for people wanting to enjoy the story.

Synnae

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 02:26:23 pm »
I'm still hoping someday we will get a retranslation of Elnard. I saw it's apparently on the requests page from datacrystal.

I know that making balancing patches is probably less troublesome, but the only way to do justice to this great game is retranslating the vanilla JP version from square one. However, I understand that there are many other higher priority projects currently going, so I will just wait warmly until someone decides to take Elnard.

It may never happen, but that's also completely understandable and fine with me. There are other greater games more deserving of attention.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 03:01:58 pm »
"The New Class" does a very good job with the balancing throughout.

The very final dungeon can get a bit tough, but the rest is very reasonable, and so much more enjoyable than the original US version.  I honestly would strongly recommend trying it.

Tomato

• View Profile
    • Legends of Localization
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 10:00:03 pm »
I'm still hoping someday we will get a retranslation of Elnard. I saw it's apparently on the requests page from datacrystal.

I know that making balancing patches is probably less troublesome, but the only way to do justice to this great game is retranslating the vanilla JP version from square one. However, I understand that there are many other higher priority projects currently going, so I will just wait warmly until someone decides to take Elnard.

It may never happen, but that's also completely understandable and fine with me. There are other greater games more deserving of attention.

I'm a huge fan of 7th Saga and always wanted to take a stab at the Japanese game, just for fun. I'll probably never get around to it, partly because it'd be a lot of work and partly because it'd be mostly pointless work, but it's a silly dream I always hold on to.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 09:46:37 am »
I actually did finish US 7th saga once. I think I used Lux and Esuna.

The whole game always struck me as a great concept that was never fully fleshed out. Like it starts off really cool, a refreshing departure from other RPGs of the era, but by the time you get to the part where you're chasing one of the other adventurers around (you know, when they get to the rune before you), the game seems to completely run out of ideas.
And if I remember correctly, you lose your partner for the last dungeon? I think that's why I only finished once. Every previous play through, you get to the point where you're really relying on that other character, then - BOOM - have fun alone, sucka! I also feel like if a person were to choose one of the magic users as their primary, the game would at this point become not just insanely difficult, but actually impossible.
I guess technically that's a problem that a good balancing patch could take care of... But then I also remember the ending was pretty lame and unrewarding.
Oh, and the music... My god, the music. This is one game that should just say "hit mute" right on the title screen.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo