News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Castlevania Aria of Sorrow rewriting game script  (Read 1230 times)

caminopreacher

• "What is a man?"
    • View Profile
Castlevania Aria of Sorrow rewriting game script
« on: August 07, 2015, 09:45:36 pm »
I'm currently wanting to rewrite the script for Castlevania Aria of Sorrow to make it a bit more fresh. I'm reading the getting started and all the documents involving hex and table generating since I haven't dove into text editing yet. As of now, I've only done some palette color changes. I do have a few questions that I haven't found answers to yet:

1. I would imagine that every game is specific on where the dialogue is located and how it is stored. How difficult would it be to locate the starting and ending points of the dialogue and extract it?

2. Assuming I can even locate it and dump it, I know I only have a limited amount of space available to change the script. Do I have to keep it down to the letter to occupy the same space on the rom, or do i have a little wiggle room if I wanted to add more dialogue?

3. Lastly, I want to remove the character portraits from the dialogue boxes when they are speaking. How would I go about that?

Anyone with advice or experience, I would greatly welcome it!

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
Re: Castlevania Aria of Sorrow rewriting game script
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 11:41:10 pm »
I've never worked on AoS, so I can only speak from having worked on other GBA games.

1. I would imagine that every game is specific on where the dialogue is located and how it is stored. How difficult would it be to locate the starting and ending points of the dialogue and extract it?
As you said, every game is different. Some games can take a few minutes and other weeks or even many months to extract it correctly.

2. Assuming I can even locate it and dump it, I know I only have a limited amount of space available to change the script.
This is mostly incorrect in my experience with the GBA. It's extremely easy to expand a ROM and add a ton of free space, so you shouldn't have to worry about that.

Of course, you need to know about how to work with pointers, at the very least. If the text in the game is hard-coded or inside a custom scripting engine, you may need to be good with ASM too.

(By the way, you should read the "Personal Projects' Additional Rules" sticky in this forum, as this thread should have been posted better in ROM Hacking Discussion, I believe.)
There has to be a better life.

caminopreacher

• "What is a man?"
    • View Profile
Re: Castlevania Aria of Sorrow rewriting game script
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 12:37:21 am »
Awesome! Thanks for the advice!