News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: MOTHER 2 DELUXE RELEASED  (Read 10770 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: MOTHER 2 DELUXE RELEASED
« on: August 05, 2015, 07:41:00 pm »

Update By: Messianic

Earthbound upgraded!

Hack features the following:

- Increased difficulty via different enemy attacks
- Redrawn, repaletted, and brand new sprites
- Repaletted tilesets
- All new PSI and mechanics to many abilities
- Translated more faithfully to the Japanese text
- New items
- Revamped items and stats, including new menu windows
- New overworld enemy sprites

Much much more!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2518/)

KyleRXZero

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: MOTHER 2 DELUXE RELEASED
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 11:20:44 pm »
I've been following the progress for this hack for a long time at Starmen.net so I'm really excited to see this finished. It's a pretty tough hack. Messianic put a lot of work into this and it shows. Definitely recommend this if you are a fan of Earthbound.  :)

replicant1027

• "He say you Bwade Runna, Mr. Dekker"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 10:45:01 am »
For someone like me who hasn't played Earthbound, I'd like to be some before and after pics.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 10:49:02 am »
This actually looks really interesting.

One question for anyone who knows:  How radically were the equipment/items changed?  Like, will we still find certain special items where we remember them (and do they still do what we remember), or was there a pretty thorough overhaul here?

EB always seemed like it struck the right balance difficulty wise to me personally, but I know that if you know what you're doing, a bit of leveling and item access can break certain parts open (which I have done many, many times).  I'd still be up for seeing how they made things more difficult, since it doesn't look like they just buffed/debuffed stats

August 06, 2015, 10:54:25 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
For someone like me who hasn't played Earthbound, I'd like to be some before and after pics.

If you look at the RDN pagelink up there, the big visual difference seems to be instead of nondescript diamonds flying around on the screen, there are little robots, so you know before you engage what kinds of enemies you're going to actually fight rather than just kind of hope for the best.  I imagine there are other enemies that are a bit more honestly displayed now rather than in flying diamonds, suspicious presents, or very shady balls of energy, like the original.

Looks like some item changes too, and on the equip screen there wasn't normally a resistance display in the original.  You basically needed the big fat guidebook to know any of the resistances.  Or just chose the "Help" option in the inventory :P

I've played it before (a lot), and most of the changes look to make things more user friendly for today's gamers (and I'm not meaning for that to sound like a bad thing FYI).  I have no clue about the upgraded difficulty stuff though
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 10:54:25 am by magictrufflez »

Messianic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 05:58:48 pm »
There are actually a bajillion changes to the game from the original, far more than I have listed in the original place I released the hack: https://forum.starmen.net/forum/Community/PKHack/Earthbound-Deluxe/page/1/.

As for the items the vast majority do the same thing and are found in the same place, but some of Jeff's items got buffed/rebelanced, and the main item change is with the equippables. Before, you could get a stupidly high amount of Luck rather quickly in the game and negate most enemy status attacks. Now all resistances to certain elements or PSI come ONLY through the "Body" type equip such as the pendants or charms. "Arm" equippables only give straight defense. Lastly the "Other" category used to be a few hat-type items and then became all coins which gave a stupidly high amount of defense AND Luck. Now you have to CHOSE whether you want JUST Luck for the status attack resistance, or the hat type items for straight defense. Things are a bit more customizable. Also a few key powerful items are in different places, such as the Gaia Beam now being purchaseable in Scarabi, and the Heavy Bazooka being dropped by the Creepy Spheres. The standard Bazooka is available in the Fourside Sewers which is earlier than at the end of the Scarabi desert after the Pyramid. Check out the Starman.net site for more detailed info.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 03:21:20 pm »
Thanks!  I'm very interested to see how the balancing act works now that the Gaia Beam is much more accessible!  I'm sure I'm not the only one who spent hours upon hours farming that thing (not to mention Sword of Kings) before...

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 04:21:08 pm »
I feel like a dolt for asking this, but is anyone else having trouble patching this hack?

Whenever I try patching this using EBPatch, I end up with a 6MB rom that won't start. I tried multiple Earthbound roms, including one I believe to be the correct one with the following hashes:

CRC32
DC9BB451

MD5
A864B2E5C141D2DEC1C4CBED75A42A85

I also notice that the original  base rom used for this was 4mb, though I can't seem to find one that is more than 3mb. Do I need to grab a tool to expand my rom to 4mb before putting it through EBPatch?

Again, I feel like a dolt for asking the dreaded "How do I patch this??!?!?!?" question, but I've never really had trouble patching a hack/translation (especially when it comes to good 'ol Earthbound), so I'm somewhat perplexed.

Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 08:50:41 pm »
Seems to work for me either way - a base rom, make sure it has a header, then patch it, or a base rom, expand it to 4 MB, add header. then patch it.

Did you check the header with tush?

break

• Teaching the unteachable
    • View Profile
    • breaktube's youtube account
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 10:53:33 pm »
Whew, that is a lot of changes !!

Going to check out this EBP (Earthbound Patcher) thing an try and get this thing working.

Now did I read right in seeing that there is an extra dungeon added in the post game ?

Also, thanks again for sharing here at romhacking.net !!

Pokemon Red 3DS-XL friend code : 1864-9639-1699 (Zeheart)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/breaktube
http://www.youtube.com/user/breaktube

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 12:55:14 pm »
Seems to work for me either way - a base rom, make sure it has a header, then patch it, or a base rom, expand it to 4 MB, add header. then patch it.

Did you check the header with tush?

I checked it via NRST Frontend and it says Header: SWC.  I'll keep playing around and see if I can get her up and running. This hack looks too fun to miss out on.  :)

EDIT: Good to go! Turned out the EBPatch I was using wasn't Earbound Patcher, but Easy Eartbound patch. *facepalm*

Sorry to waste your time. Time to go tear some stuff up!!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 03:57:52 pm by Bahamut ZERO »
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Tivo6

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 01:46:49 pm »
hey

does this new earthbound hack change the storyline at all

Messianic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 12:33:18 am »
The hack does not change the story line. In the beginning of the game one story item of note is mandatory to see which was formerly optional. Also in the future there might be a final dungeon post-game that links Mother 2 to Mother 3.

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 09:09:45 am »
Like with the Mother 1 hack released a while ago, I was interested in playing this just for the promise of new sprites. ...But it looks like they're just hi-res filtered versions of the old sprites.

Eggplantus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 05:12:37 pm »
Magicant - is Ness naked?

Messianic

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 06:05:19 pm »
Like with the Mother 1 hack released a while ago, I was interested in playing this just for the promise of new sprites. ...But it looks like they're just hi-res filtered versions of the old sprites.

There are few new BATTLE SPRITES for this hack, but many of them are redrawn to be much larger (bosses and dinosaurs) and almost all are re-paletted I do have two completely new sprites for the bosses Blergh and Statue Boss (Formerly Mini-Barf and Guardian General). But as for enemy sprites outside of battle there are tons of new sprites made for many enemies who had no unique sprites, like Spinning Robo's and Robo-Gallon, etc.

@Eggplantus: Yes Ness is naked, the game is completely uncensored from the Japanese version.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2015, 07:32:29 pm »
I'm loving the little touch ups I'm seeing (as well as the behind the scene changes) so far. Having  the A button function like the L button is great!

Ironically the text in the Library concerning the Map (saying X instead of being changed to Y) fit perfectly as I was first test playing this off my PC using an Xbox controller.  :D

Works perfectly off of PSP too!

break

• Teaching the unteachable
    • View Profile
    • breaktube's youtube account
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2015, 02:34:39 am »
Okay, just got Buzz Buzz...and that battle was a bit different. 

* I did not know NPCs could carry items * 

Also, could you provide a full change log for this game ?

I could not find the readme file on your submitted page.

Pokemon Red 3DS-XL friend code : 1864-9639-1699 (Zeheart)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/breaktube
http://www.youtube.com/user/breaktube

Messianic

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2015, 03:12:38 am »
The full changelog doesn't exist, it would have been far too tedious to list all changes to the game because there are HUNDREDS of them. However I linked the starmen.net site where I first posted this, and I have a spoiler with all the ASM changes (for the most part).

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2015, 01:39:58 pm »
Having fun so far! Noticed that if I try to talk to the back of the stop sign east of Onetts burger shack (the stop sign in front of the north entrance of town) that the game will hang for a few seconds. Other than that it plays like a champ!

MKnightDH

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2015, 04:33:11 pm »
I may as well post my complaints about the balance thus far, because there's one particular instance where I get to call BS on the hack's part.

*Runaway Dogs seem to drop Bread Rolls a little more often than they should.
*Okay, so Lifeup Alpha heals less now, okay. Wait, it costs only 3 PP now? That makes 80 HP healing more cost-effective than the 100 HP healing was in vanilla EB. I think it should be dropped to 60 HPs.
*Single-target healing items STILL suck regardless of the above. By the time Ness has 75 HPs, relevant enemy damage generally is strong enough to cancel with freaking Hamburgers.
*Shield Alpha is only really good for Frankenstein Mark II, if that, during the early game. The only enemy before Happy Happy Village who reliably deals at least 90 damage in one attack, discounting the Territorial Oaks' explosions for obvious reasons, is Everdred with his bite attack. No other enemies come CLOSE.
*Enemies past Titanic Ant have a NASTY Offense spike. Enemies like Captain Strong are fine, but dealing with FOUR Cops in a row with an L12 Ness is a headache, and that's assuming you get lucky and end up with 9 Vitality (135 HPs) for L12. You can have a little as 7 (105 HPs), if you're wondering. It's a headache to avoid being below 25 HPs against those headaches, at which point Ness is just plain dead.
*Agh, Mobile Sprouts, so you use Lifeup Alpha, create reinforcements of yourself, and then laugh at the idea of 1HKing with Favorite Alpha? Sorry, but you're cowards especially when you show up in pairs on the map.
*Unassuming Local Guys are Demonic Spiders at this point too. Mugging, solidifying, AND high damage. Oh, and THEY RESIST PSI FAVORITE, WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN!
*Mugging attacks themselves also seem to have their damage output unaffected by the Shield buff even though they actually affect the Shield buff. What.
*Finally, the south Twoson encounter rate is ridiculous. I even DIED FROM 150 HPS because when the 2-3 Tunnel ejected me I got dumped right into an encounter with TWO ULGs AND a Hippie. I tried to run on the spot, it failed, and I got no further turns because the ULGs kept solidifying me and paraplinked me. That needs to be fixed. And here was my Ness's stats in that bloodbath for those curious:
-Level 19, Happy Happy Village equipment (don't ask)
-HP: 151
-PP: 58
-Offense: 49
-Defense: 35
-Speed: 19
-Guts: 12
-Vitality: 10
-IQ: 11
-Luck: 11

It's not like the hack doesn't do good thing, but seriously, there's some balance issues aggravating the issues of an already slow start where non-healing PSI in general hasn't been given the chance to be decently useful.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 04:39:50 pm by MKnightDH »