11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

[NES] BattleToads (U) - bugfix

Started by Ti_, July 25, 2015, 02:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ti_

W.I.P., hardcore original, but without bugs:

done:
1) fixed error in code (creates "level 4 stick bug", and possible others). (same as in 'E')
2) fixed clinger-winger for 2 players. (same as in 'E')
3) fixed Volkmire's Inferno (Fire Zone) Missiles/Rockets hit in down screen border. (same as in 'E')
4) fixed bug when player 2 can fall and die out of screen, when jump to Robo-manus boss. (same as in 'E')
5) turbo tunnel obstacles changed from pink to yellow.
6) fixed Terra tubes glitch "jump through wall" at start (same as in 'E').
7) Right+Left simultaneously no longer move toads by Y coordinate on 2d-levels.
8) fixed bug when Hornhead eat player picked by other player.
9) fixed wrong sprite when you pick player or enemy and sit down on 2d-levels (was correct only in ice caverns).
10) no more walking when sit with hold object (but this bug worked only in ice caverns, because of bug #8).
11) no longer can break game in turbo tunnel, if die on bike without taking checkpoint.
12) fixed various bugs when player 2 throw player 1 at the same time as get hit from enemy (same as in 'J').
13) when player re spawns he's no longer do last animation (example: die in water with special movement in surf city).
14) when player take damage while taken by slug, it's correctly unlinks. (same as in 'E')
15) when slug killed with a stick while hold other player, it's correctly unlinks.
16) when slug hold one player, it can't start hold other player.
17) no more two slug's on one player at once.
18) stick now dropped when slug hold player.
19) slug #id in player state clears on checkpoint restart (if one player dies, while other taken by slug).
20) you can't throw other player through ceiling in Terra tubes. (same as in 'E')
21) corrected ice caverns moving horizontal platform hit-box. (sprite center position)
22) sit style for all 2d levels, except ice caverns, changed to Revolution (level 12) /BTDD style - when toad sit down it stops moving, and no running bug allowed, but still can move by 1 pix step.

bugs under question:
electricity glitch/trick (immune to electricity)
rat kill glitch (level end)
- the only reason no to fix them because of difficulty increasing.
running while sit bug in Ice Caverns too, but without lose speed when sit down (for that also need find a way to fix it).

noted bugs:
incorrect sprite mask for player taken by other player in terra tubes (on tubes joint).
a way to stuck in Terra tubes if get hit from shark on while on propeller (fixed in Rematch)
toad sprite position on jet's (fixed in Rematch)

Leave your opinion or other bugs that needs to be fixed.

Trax

Wow. That's a lot more bugs than I could ever imagine, let alone discover. I think the only one I already knew is the most obvious one: the second player bug in the Clinger-Wingers level. Good job correcting all this. I may give a try playing the game and see if I can find other glitches...

zstandig

Maybe you can try to make it more like the Japanese and Genesis versions, those fixed a lot of stuff.

Goros Lair

Hi Ti_, that's me again, Renato (from Brazil), remember?

Well, there's a bug concerning to Volkmire's Inferno in the last (and fastest one) step!

The centre part of the screen (red at the top, and black at the bottom) doesn't move (which divides the screen, from the fire from the purple lake), it just freezes while the other parts of the screen get moviment. Just take a look at this video, please:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiJKLY8SeuQ&feature=youtu.be

At 3:30 minutes of it you'll see it better.

Here, another video concerning to bugs of Volkmire's Inferno!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tezCQx8LHkU&feature=youtu.be

REMARKS:
I told to a hacker here in Brazil about your project concerning to Battletoads and he became very glad about it and asked me if you could liberate it to him. His idea is to prepare a pack with your hack + plus his translation (Portuguese), giving the credits to you for your corrections concerning to Battletoads and release a perfect rom in Portuguese, which would be awesome.

For a while, thank you very much for your attention and dedication.

Regards,
Goro.

RichterSnipes

Quote from: standigz on July 26, 2015, 03:31:44 PM
Maybe you can try to make it more like the Japanese and Genesis versions, those fixed a lot of stuff.
By "fixed," do you mean "changed the level designs to be more sane"? Unless you're talking about glitches, which seem to mostly be accounted for in the OP, that's what it sounds like. The first line of the topic says "hardcore original", which would imply that this patch is meant to keep the game just as balls-to-the-wall difficult as it was first released. That would go beyond the intentions of this hack.

Having said that, it would be nice to see a hack that changes the levels to how they are in the Famicom version. I fall into the camp who feels that Battletoads as it was originally released is an unfairly difficult game that begs for proper balancing. Having those level structures - along with the changes included in this excellent project - would create the most ideal version of the game playable.

Bregalad

Some glitches makes the game easier. For instance the possibility to knee and move by double-tapping a direction on 2D levels is very useful, as well as the possibility to avoid rockets in Volksmire's Inferno by staying quietly in one of the screen's corner - actually that's the only way I found to beat the level, so much those rockets are fast and impossible to avoid.

Dwedit

The glitch that frustrated me the most back in the day was in the Rat Race level, If you fall very far behind, Scuzz disappears, and you can't die or anything and need to reset the game.

Because it's Battletoads, and just making it to that level is a big deal.
"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button-pressing overlord."

drunkenjesus

The most annoying thing about the game isn't how hard it is, it's the gamebreaking bugs, a couple times i've gotten some pretty good runs going only to have the game crash on me glad to see someone working on remedying that

Chpexo

drunkenjesus

Quote from: Chpexo on July 29, 2015, 02:48:40 AM
According to a tweet, the hit detection on the floors in the turbo tunnel are much smaller than they appear which results in players falling through the floor unfairly.

I'm glad someone is fixing all these bugs so keep it up!

tbh I don't really think that is a bug per se just more or less a poor design choice, plenty of games use a similar perspective for platforms where they appear bigger it's just usually not in a frantic part of a brutally hard game

making the bottom part solid would make that part a whole lot less frustrating because usually that's where I end up losing most if not all of my lives, I dunno if they changed that in any of the other versions because I've only really played the NES one

Chpexo

nesrocks

It is indeed not a bug. The fake perspective is the culprit, because it is, well... fake. A rule of thumb is to go through that area at the bottom of the screen where the plataforms are wider. It could be fixed by changing the look and collision area of the platform so that the edge is vertical instead of tilted (if you want to make it equally wide on all depths).

That being said, I love you Ti for this, and for the dark queen rematch hack. Battletoads being one of my favorite NES games I feel sad that it has so little hacking attention. OTOH your hacks are top quality so that's great. It almost makes me want to learn assembly so I can help (not really assembly is too hard for me :crazy:).

Ti_

Quote from: Goros Lair on July 26, 2015, 07:03:23 PM
The centre part of the screen (red at the top, and black at the bottom) doesn't move (which divides the screen, from the fire from the purple lake), it just freezes while the other parts of the screen get moviment.
You just can't see it's moving, because moving speed is 16 pix/f matches with graphics repeat length. You can change speed in ROM at 0x017381 from $10 to $0F or $11, and then you will see it's moving.
About second bug, this will not be possible, because of fix #7.

August 01, 2015, 09:27:32 AM - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

Quote from: RichterSnipes on July 27, 2015, 04:06:55 AM
Having said that, it would be nice to see a hack that changes the levels to how they are in the Famicom version. I fall into the camp who feels that Battletoads as it was originally released is an unfairly difficult game that begs for proper balancing. Having those level structures - along with the changes included in this excellent project - would create the most ideal version of the game playable.
They do some things wrong:
In Terra Tubes, they add delay to gear wheels, to reduce difficulty. But this results a bug, that you just can skip it, if you turn and run back fast.  ;D

Goros Lair

Quote from: Ti_ on August 01, 2015, 09:16:18 AM
You just can't see it's moving, because moving speed is 16 pix/f matches with graphics repeat length. You can change speed in ROM at 0x017381 from $10 to $0F or $11, and then you will see it's moving.
About second bug, this will not be possible, because of fix #7.

Thanks for the reply, Ti_!

Well, concerning to the last bugs, only these three ones would be very interesting to be fixed:

1) In Surf City, what about to add boss music theme for Big Blag (exactly like you've done in Dark Queen Rematch)?
2) Rat Race -> The only one I think is a real big problem and need to be fixed is the rat kill bug. This happened with me and it was very frustrating. I was faster than Giblet (the rat), I didn't lose time with the obstacles and spaces, I was really much better than him and, as soon as I've kicked the bomb at the bottom, the last bomb (3rd stage), he simply disappears... I was forced to reset the game... ok, the challenge is much better than the correction, but it's a failure, if I'm better than the game, so, I have to receive and earn the win, right?  Under these conditions, I'd really become very glad if that bug could be fixed
3)Oh,I almost forget, but there's a small little part in PINK in the Battletoads' Title Screen Logo that would be awesome if could be fixed.

PINK ->

CORRECT ->

Well, thanks for the attention to this humble request.

C ya,
Goro

KingMike

Quote from: Goros Lair on August 09, 2015, 12:57:53 PM
3)Oh,I almost forget, but there's a small little part in PINK in the Battletoads' Title Screen Logo that would be awesome if could be fixed.
Attribute table.
Easy to find the data is at $35633 (US ROM). The table starts at $35627. The problem is that it's compressed and not there's not room to fix without moving the data (changing that byte to $95 fixes that tile but causes a much more visible error on the next tile, part of the top Battletoads symbol), and I recall BT uses nearly all its ROM space. (compression is dead simple though, it's simple <data><repeat length>)
(finding the data is as simple as looking at the AT table in FCEUX: open the debugger, scroll to PPU memory $23C0. Often it's a direct match to the ROM, so we can find the data by looking for a match in ROM. Not so in BT, but that's simple to find by setting a write breakpoint just before the screen is loaded, then looking when the value ($A5 for the incorrect color data) is written to VRAM) and scrolling up a few lines to see where it's coming from)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Chpexo

nesrocks

Excelent stuff. Since we are at it, there's this: Rash's left elbow has the wrong palette too.

Turambar

Quote from: nesrocks on August 09, 2015, 06:16:48 PM
Excelent stuff. Since we are at it, there's this: Rash's left elbow has the wrong palette too.
And Zitz's glove is black and green instead of black and white.

Ti_

Fixed:

23) fixed incorrect sprite mask for player taken by other player in terra tubes (on tubes joint).
24) fixed a way to stuck in Terra tubes if get hit from shark while on propeller.
25) corrected toad sprite position on jet's. (Volkmire's Inferno)
26) fixed glitch, when 3rd Rat can run through wall and disappear at last platform. (same as in 'E')
27) fixed level2 (Wookie Hole) game freeze on some NES clones.
28) attributes corrected on title screen and toad's pictures.