News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Gamecube audio mod  (Read 1890 times)

Westleytwain

• View Profile
Gamecube audio mod
« on: November 18, 2015, 01:59:17 am »
Hello guys! This is my first post here and to be honest it's a call for help.

I came up with the idea of finding two games with similar artistic "feel" in the story and gameplay and swap their soundtracks and sound effects. I have not found for all my googling an audio mod for a gamecube rom, so I'm not sure if this is uncharted waters or not.

Speaking of waters, I thought it would be fun to play Wind Waker with the music and sounds of Pokémon Emerald. I'm not sure how to rip audio from an emerald ROM, but I'm sure the harder part will be swapping the sound files around. So if you guys could at least let me know if it's possible, at most help, that would be awesome.

TL;DR:
How can I play Wind Waker with Emerald's sound track?

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Gamecube audio mod
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 10:39:45 pm »
Many things are possible; few things are easy.

Many GBA games use what is known as the "Sappy" sound engine.  Googling <pokemon emerald sappy> turns up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy8rQhosnGU as its first hit, which might be a good start.

Sticking that into a Gamecube game is a whole different ball game.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Gohdan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 06:03:55 am »
I'm new to this modding thing too, OP. My focus right now is a translation project but I would love to learn about audio mods too.

This thread should be helpful to you (for getting the sounds/music from your GBA game): http://www.vg-resource.com/thread-21591.html

I'm currently messing around with two tools: Dolphin emulator (for ripping assets and testing) and GC Rebuilder (to rebuild a modified iso). So far I've tried editing the intro videos to the game I'm trying to edit. This worked, though the game crashes at the start screen. I'm not sure why that is or how to get past it. I'd imagine you'd run into a similar issue when replacing any asset, so that's something to keep in mind.

Do you have any specific areas in mind you'd like to swap audio for? It may be easier to start small. Good luck! :]

Westleytwain

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 11:38:27 am »
Do you have any specific areas in mind you'd like to swap audio for? It may be easier to start small. Good luck! :]
A couple of places, such as swapping shop theme for shop theme, swapping fight music, etc