News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Dynamic-Designs Releases GalaxyRobo in English!  (Read 9002 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Draken

After the shortest production time in D-D history, GalaxyRobo was released this week.  It is a fairly simplistic SRPG created by the same company responsible for the Lennus series and tells the story of intragalactic war in which you control a sundry of characters who fight back against an empire which seeks to control all.

GalaxyRobo is a classic SNES era SRPG in the same vein as FEDA or Fire Emblem. As an extra bonus, it was one of the few games created with support for the SNES mouse peripheral. So, if you're playing the game on an actual SNES, be sure to dig out that old mouse and give it a whirl!

Head over to D-D for a full array of patch formats, and as always stop by their forums to stay up-to-date on any news concerning their projects.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://www.dynamic-designs.us/index.shtml)

getter77

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Dynamic-Designs Releases GalaxyRobo in English!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 08:14:10 am »
Absolutely insane to behold just how many projects of all sorts of getting completed of late---amazing work!   8)

patuli

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 03:53:26 pm »
I will try this as soon as I finish my minimal killing dark half walkthrough,  and find those damn dragon items and muramasa sword. :banghead:

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 05:58:34 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 08:01:23 am by Chpexo »

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 06:46:56 pm »
Lovely work!
I don't know the official feedback channels, so please find here are a couple of items I would have phrased differently. This only reflects my opinion. (Also let me know of your preferred means of feedback.)
- Leia: "Not so fast, Frank! I've been waiting for this a long time!" -> Shouldn't it be "waiting for this for a long time"?
- Why does the damage icon during fights read "RE" for legs? ("LE" or "LG" would look better to me - if it does mean legs.;)
- Fatis Freet (or names in general) overlaps the portrait's outer frame on the bottom pane during combat.
- "The sound is the last ..." -> I would recommend "This sound is the last ..." (as the sound has been expressed just before this narrative statement.)
- "Mother commands that I am to seize possession of ..." -> I believe this would sound better as "Mother commands that I seize possession of ..."

Thanks for the good work!
Will keep playing! ;D

EDIT: I'll try and post this on your forum if creating an account is easy. Sorry for not posting there from the start!
EDIT2: I give up trying to register on your forums. Maybe one day when the questions have an answer i can find...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 06:56:31 pm by BlackDog61 »

Draken

• The Lost Son
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 09:14:08 pm »
Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

@Chpexo:

I can assure you that any "flaws" you see in the game's translation production were not due to this being a speedy project. The game came out quickly because it is a very simple game that has a short script - much shorter than anything else we have worked on.  The choice of font in the menu was made by Bongo`, so I guess he would be the one to answer any technical reasons it was chosen.  I know that some of what you see in the menu is an actual font, while other parts are graphical. I had no problem with the way it looked, but then again, I've never been one to be swayed by a game's fonts. If it offends your good taste, then I'm sorry.

@BlackDog61:

Let me try to answer your questions:
-The RE/AR/WI statuses are being discussed over on our forums and will be updated in the next patch revision.
-Names next to the bottom right portrait in battles will "overlap" (slightly touch) the portrait.  This happens in the original, Japanese ROM as well, and when we tried shifting things over to the right to correct the issue, it made it look even worse. It also would have forced us to rewrite many of the character names and mecha names as it would have changed the CPL for the box next to the right portrait. I wish we could have fixed this, but sadly, we couldn't :(
-Making an ID for the D-D forums should be relatively easy if you just look-up the answers to the "anti-bot questions" on the project pages ;)
-Thanks for the script recommendations! We'll take them into consideration for the eventual V1.01 patch :)

taskforce

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 09:54:28 pm »
You should find the questions easier to find now, most of them are on the project pages. 

CrocMagnum

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 08:29:21 am »
...GalaxyRobo is a classic SNES era SRPG in the same vein as FEDA or Fire Emblem...

Sold! You know how to tease vintage gamers. \o/

One more 16-bit rpg/tactical I've never heard of. This is getting embarrassing. *giggle*

Absolutely insane to behold just how many projects of all sorts of getting completed of late---amazing work!   8)

Same here. I can honestly say I can't keep up.

Translations are popping like mushrooms lately.

To all the lovely people involved: You made my day!  :beer:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 08:35:37 am by CrocMagnum »
Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)

Special T

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 08:26:24 pm »
This is great news. I really enjoy the games D&D releases because I can feel the TLC your group put in to its releases.

CrocMagnum

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 08:53:11 am »
Just a question:

The GalaxyRoboReadme has no extension. Of course with basic common sense I renamed it as a .txt file and could read it but still:

Did you do this on purpose or was it an oversight?

Thanks in advance.

Also the game works great and the gameplay is very simple. GalaxyRobo shows the year 1994 but the graphics and the feel of the game is more like 91-92. Some of the most straightforward tactical I've put my hands on. Again big thanks for your hard and extra fast work!  :thumbsup:
Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 10:08:00 am »
I think Draken will need to chime in on the readme.

The simple gameplay makes it easy to jump into but I will warn you, it gets hard in spots. ;) Thanks for the kind words and feedback.

Draken

• The Lost Son
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015, 10:10:08 am »
Honestly, when I made the readme, I thought that I had used a *.txt extension.  I'm not quite sure what went wrong, and I can only fault myself (and switching the file between various operating systems for edits) as the cause for it not having the intended ending.  Will I update it later...? Meh... I think people who actually bother to read it will figure it out (like you did).  It doesn't really take a degree in rocket science to open a readme file.  On a side note, I actually only intended to use a *.txt ending because of this site.  I typically used *.rtf in the past, but this site doesn't accept that file ending when adding a patch :(

It's definitely a VERY simplistic game.  Although, the difficulty does ramp up, and I'd lie if I said that I didn't abuse save states to get through it (especially the ending).

Edit: Also I feel that need to add that (not sure if it was a conscious choice on my part) it isn't uncommon for a readme to have no file extension :)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 10:17:06 am by Draken »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2015, 02:26:04 pm »
I forget what program I used, but there have been a number of times I saved a file as a .txt and for some reason the program expected me to include that in the file name. When forgetting about this I ended up saving a txt file that had no extension.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2015, 02:12:40 am »
Looking forward to checking this out!

- Leia: "Not so fast, Frank! I've been waiting for this a long time!" -> Shouldn't it be "waiting for this for a long time"?

I'd prefer "I've been waiting a long time for this!", myself.

heratio

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2015, 04:06:08 pm »
I think all 3 of those versions sound just fine.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 10:37:34 pm »
The dialogue is a thick font with VWF while the font in the status window is skinny and mono-spaced.
Definitively. Consistent fonts produce way better results to the eye:
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Draken

• The Lost Son
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 04:06:06 am »
@Gemini: Thanks for the feedback, and we are looking into possibly implementing a thiner 8x8 font (if anyone has a recommendation of one that would better match up with the main dialogue font).  I had a question, though.  You attached a pic to your comment, and I was just wondering if there was something specific in that screenshot that you were trying to point out.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2015, 06:31:54 am »
I was pointing out that you can make the 8x8 font in a style similar to the dialog set. It should blend better, especially when both appear in the same screen, like for name tags.

Draken

• The Lost Son
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2015, 09:56:47 am »
Ah, of course!  It wasn't until I looked at them side-by-side that I noticed it was a totally different font!  Do you mind my asking which one you used for that mockup?

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2015, 12:19:12 pm »
I simply touched the picture to match the larger font, while staying within the 8x8 grid limit. If you can post the original graphics (both larger and smaller) I can paint you a full 8x8 set with consistent style.