News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Poll

Which control scheme would you prefer for the weak/strong attacks

B for Weak, forward + B for strong
0 (0%)
B for Weak, A for strong (running only available in towns)
0 (0%)
Forward B for weak, B for strong
0 (0%)
B for weak, Y for strong (X used for own menu and X again to change to other characters menu)
0 (0%)
other (please post your suggestion)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Secret Of Mana Gameplay Improvement Hack  (Read 192361 times)

CaoMengde777

• View Profile
Re: Secret Of Mana Gameplay Improvement Hack
« Reply #380 on: January 27, 2017, 09:22:10 pm »
THIS IS SOOO AWESOME!!!! :woot!:  :crazy: :laugh: :cookie:
Secret Of Mana is like THE BEST GAME!! and youre making it EXTRA EPIC!!  THANK THANK THANK YOU!!!  :cookie: :cookie: :cookie:
ill have to play this in a few months or so when youre even more further along!
i just wanted to say AWESOME !!!! you are A GOD!!
the spell abuse is like the biggest problem with the game and its awesome you fix it!!

Just whatever ideas...
* is it possible at all to add more areas to the game??
is it possible to add like more places to land with flamie?? .. theres like alot of unused map space..
cause thatd be AWESOME! if it was possible... guess itd be ALOT more work though..
iam thinking of just more random places to fight, just cause lol, although, sure the game is pretty big enough anyways.. and i dunno how itd effect balance of leveling up or anything.. although itd be cool to maybe just add more places to go at the very end of the game, make the new areas like flying fortress level of enemies or something??
or like you can refight bosses from earlier in the game in the new areas?? i dunno ... just thoughts..

* LOL itd be awesome if you could have a spell i guess where like flamie flys by and attacks enemies on the screen.. maybe all of em? lool
like it just does that fly by it does when you call flamie, but instead of picking you up it does damage hehe

* LOL would it be possible to start with all 3 characters?? .. but meh you get the characters pretty fast anyway.. itd probably just be weird, but yeah, when wanting to play with a buddy its just a little annoying it can take maybe little under an hour?? to get a 2nd character? .. that was always a minor gripe i had with the game.. a little gripe

*is 3 players possible?? is it in normal game? i dont think so .. ?? but there was a hack that made it 3 players i think.. itd be cool to have that part of this hack.. or is it possible to multihack??

...uhhmm... dunno what else lol

ROCK ON!!!

« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 09:50:52 pm by CaoMengde777 »

D MAS

• Apathetic Loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 27, 2017, 10:53:45 pm »
Just whatever ideas...
is it possible to add like more places to land with flamie?? .. theres like alot of unused map space..
cause thatd be AWESOME! if it was possible... guess itd be ALOT more work though..
iam thinking of just more random places to fight, just cause lol, although, sure the game is pretty big enough anyways.. and i dunno how itd effect balance of leveling up or anything.. although itd be cool to maybe just add more places to go at the very end of the game, make the new areas like flying fortress level of enemies or something??
or like you can refight bosses from earlier in the game in the new areas?? i dunno ... just thoughts..

* LOL itd be awesome if you could have a spell i guess where like flamie flys by and attacks enemies on the screen.. maybe all of em? lool
like it just does that fly by it does when you call flamie, but instead of picking you up it does damage hehe

* LOL would it be possible to start with all 3 characters?? .. but meh you get the characters pretty fast anyway.. itd probably just be weird, but yeah, when wanting to play with a buddy its just a little annoying it can take maybe little under an hour?? to get a 2nd character? .. that was always a minor gripe i had with the game.. a little gripe

Let's not bite off more than we can chew...for something like this it's best to start small. He wants to make the gameplay better, not expand the universe and lengthen the game. Though, if we get far enough I'd enjoy seeing SD2 totally remixed.

*is 3 players possible?? is it in normal game? i dont think so .. ?? but there was a hack that made it 3 players i think.. itd be cool to have that part of this hack.. or is it possible to multihack??

...uhhmm... dunno what else lol

ROCK ON!!!

You can play 3-player in original SD2. I remember seeing a TAS utilize 3 player-controlled characters. As for the hack...I don't see any immediate reason you wouldn't be able to.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 27, 2017, 11:15:48 pm »
I haven't been following this project, but I'll read the hack page when this goes up. Anyway, I wanted to say I agree with what was just said. Having 3 players at the beginning would be a real improvement. If that could be worked in somehow that would be nice. It could either be a optional patch or a option you trigger.

CaoMengde777

• View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 28, 2017, 01:11:56 am »
ooh yeah i guess you CAN do 3 player with a multitap in the original SNES cart ... mustve been some other game I seen that had a hack that made it 3 players...

Let's not bite off more than we can chew...
yeah i totally agree, i was just throwing up whatever ideas i could think of  :)

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 28, 2017, 06:36:23 am »
ooh yeah i guess you CAN do 3 player with a multitap in the original SNES cart ... mustve been some other game I seen that had a hack that made it 3 players...
yeah i totally agree, i was just throwing up whatever ideas i could think of  :)

That would likely be the Secret of Mana 2[Seiken Densetsu 3] 3 player patch and is found here; http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/179/

It might also have been Secret of Evermore which was a 2 player patch, found here; http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/24/

I've played both and they are quite well done. Which reminds me..

DaSilentMac

• View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 28, 2017, 09:58:49 am »
I am not entirely sure if this was already answered, but will the new version of the gameplay hack be compatible with the rest of the Secret of Mana hacks on Romhacking?

I was able to combine the older v0.10 with SD2 Improvements to recolor some sprites, Item Limit "9" to get more item capacity, and Proper case to properly capitalize words. I was never able to combine VWF Edition together.

Will the the new version work with all the other existing hacks? Or even better incorporate them into a super patch?

Thanks,

CaoMengde777

• View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 28, 2017, 04:33:33 pm »
I havent even played your hack yet! .. iam just thinking of stuffs! :)
just another idea:
*what if the "Boy" had spells.. like 3 or 4 spells or something? ...like hes a warrior but he has special moves.. dunno if thats even Possible?
and he has like longer spell cooldown, less mana, i guess
like iam thinking,
- he has the flamie attack spell i mentioned, it like takes TONS of magic maybe All his magic, but it attacks all enemies on the screen - flamie flys by and all the enemies on screen get hurt.
- and he has like a new weapon enchantment spell, the "Saber" spells, just buffs damage a little, or accuracy .. its like not "magic" its just like he focuses skill or like trains/ encourages his friends to fight better
- maybe like a block buff "spell"? it like extends the blocking timing window maybe?

something like that... so like if a person Were to play 3 players, the boy player gets a couple spells to mess around with

* lol dunno if this is even possible, but itd maybe be cool to like be able to "summon" an enemy monster, and it fights for you on your side?
lol i was thinking, cause itd be cool if like you could summon one of those flying sword monsters, as if like the boy's sword is like a living thing that the boy can send to attack for him.. idk just thinking of special move "spells" for the boy

but yeah idk its just ideas  ;D :laugh:
all the stuff youve done already is like above and beyond!!  :woot!: :cookie:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 04:41:01 pm by CaoMengde777 »

zhade

• View Profile
    • zhaDe's stuff
« Reply #387 on: February 01, 2017, 05:24:00 pm »

February 01, 2017, 06:11:03 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Is the rain of arrows an aoe or does it just hit one enemy?

Each arrow can hit a single enemy, so.. kinda ?

Just whatever ideas...

Adding more maps is not really possible for me without an editor sadly.. I might be able to reuse existing maps and insert new stuff in them tho. Changing the NPCS/enemies is not really hard so I might be able to add an extra "quest" or some special boss with modified stats.

A flammie spell should be possible, altho I would have to find a way to fit it in the magic menu or something, and im not really familiar with how the ring menu works, all I know is that it didnt look very flexible..

As for starting with 3 characters: In itself it's not hard to do, but the story events would make no sense in the first areas and if I recall correctly, some might actually end up so bad that it wont be possible to continue lol. Also I think that when the characters would join (even if they are already in the party..) the character would reset to level 1. Prior to this project, before I learned ASM, I had made a patch that let you choose your party at the beginning, and modified all the story events so purim and popoie don't appear or say anything during cutscenes. I guess it should be compatible with this since it only changes story events. The story is butchered a bit tho like.. for some reason Randi cares about dyluck and knows Phanna and stuff lol but you do have the possibility to start with all 3 characters, or try to beat the game with less characters in your party even with randi alone (not recommended tho lol)

I am not entirely sure if this was already answered, but will the new version of the gameplay hack be compatible with the rest of the Secret of Mana hacks on Romhacking?

I was able to combine the older v0.10 with SD2 Improvements to recolor some sprites, Item Limit "9" to get more item capacity, and Proper case to properly capitalize words. I was never able to combine VWF Edition together.

Will the the new version work with all the other existing hacks? Or even better incorporate them into a super patch?

I think most should work, if the 9 items thing don't I could add it as an option. the VWF edition probably won't tho, fusoya modified all story events in order for the text to occupy the whole text box.. It might still work because of how I pushed all my code further into the rom so the E0 bank is free which is probably where he has some functions. But if I need to modify some story events later it might break compatibility... Hiei and his team had made a different working VWF, maybe I might be able to borrow it to add it as an option.. I wouln't try to make one myself, seems like too much work and I still have so much other things to work on :P.

CaoMengde777:

About adding spells for the boy:
Again the biggest problem would be the ring menu, once im done with some of the stuff im doing ill go see if I can manipulate the ring menu so it becomes more flexible, I don't really know enough about it to tell what could be possible.

Thx for the enthusiasm btw  :thumbsup:

summuning a monster can't really work as there is a maximum of 3 monsters spawned at once, and also the enemies AI target the party and can't hit other enemies.. the most that could be done with big modifications is transforming a party member into an enemy for some time altho I doubt that anyone would want to do that  :laugh:

About CPU-controlled allies : I found a way to make them way less retarded.. turns out between each of their actions they play the "idle" animation for some frames.. so like if an enemy comes close they just look at him a bit.. then move forward to get closer, wait a bit.. then attack.. By reducing the amount of time the idle animation is played they react much faster. I think enemies also have this behaviour so they might end up always attacking first or at least have an advantage over them. They still miss their target and try to retreat into walls and stuff.. but at least they do it sooner instead of standing there waiting to get hit  ::)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 06:12:47 pm by zhade »

DaSilentMac

• View Profile
« Reply #388 on: February 02, 2017, 02:02:45 am »
Thank you zhade for considering compatibility with other hacks. Make sense to use existing assets to minimize work.

I am getting super pumped for the final product. Secret of Mana is a rare type of game with a nice balance of 3 players, couch coop, and sophisticated RPG elements. Other than Secret of Mana 2 (with hacks) and Secret of Evermore (with hacks), I have not seen another game quite like the trilogy among retro or modern games.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 02, 2017, 10:13:24 pm »
Actually, having a polymorph type spell that turns an ally into a monster sounds like it could be really fun.
...or...
Having a some new armor type items that let me change them as long as I like might be better and easier.

SageOwl

• View Profile
« Reply #390 on: February 02, 2017, 11:02:38 pm »
Oh ! I just noticed the rom is actually 1 byte larger than it should.. The real hardware probably doesn't like this at all.. You can try to just remove that last byte using an hex editor or wait and ill post a link to an updated version of the patcher which will expand the rom to the proper size.
note to self.. in vb.net arrays have elements 'up to' the specified value so Byte(10) is 11 bytes, byte(0) to byte(10)... :laugh:
Any progress with this?

zhade

• View Profile
    • zhaDe's stuff
« Reply #391 on: February 15, 2017, 02:55:00 am »
Ok, here's version 0.03, the patcher will now make a rom that has the right size.
There is not so much new stuff in terms of features because I had to modify the engine to make it possible to play animations from other banks as well as make it possible to make projectiles work as I want.
List of new stuff:

(strong_and_weak_attacks)
- Bow rain of arrows attack (for now it is the weak-attack), the strong-attack is a normal shot with increased range
- Axe has a wider weak-attack, enemies hit by any axe attack get pushed farther, take more time to recover.
- Modified Javelin melee animation, a thrust instead of a slash (similar to the spear thrust)

(better cpu allies)
- cpu react faster, can be modified in the "advanced" settings before patching, tho it is already set to the best value possible by default which is 01, game's default is 05 and 00 wont make it better.

(Faster chest opening)
- cant remember if the last patch had this one.. skips some chest-opening animations, basically, the chests open (or the trap gets triggered) instantly.

(manual block)
- removed for now since it doesnt work anyway :P

Download V.003

SageOwl

• View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 15, 2017, 10:47:50 am »
Ok, here's version 0.03, the patcher will now make a rom that has the right size.
There is not so much new stuff in terms of features because I had to modify the engine to make it possible to play animations from other banks as well as make it possible to make projectiles work as I want.
List of new stuff:

(strong_and_weak_attacks)
- Bow rain of arrows attack (for now it is the weak-attack), the strong-attack is a normal shot with increased range
- Axe has a wider weak-attack, enemies hit by any axe attack get pushed farther, take more time to recover.
- Modified Javelin melee animation, a thrust instead of a slash (similar to the spear thrust)

(better cpu allies)
- cpu react faster, can be modified in the "advanced" settings before patching, tho it is already set to the best value possible by default which is 01, game's default is 05 and 00 wont make it better.

(Faster chest opening)
- cant remember if the last patch had this one.. skips some chest-opening animations, basically, the chests open (or the trap gets triggered) instantly.

(manual block)
- removed for now since it doesnt work anyway :P

Download V.003
Awesome man! Will check it out when I get a chance later on.

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 15, 2017, 11:32:24 am »
Awesome man! Will check it out when I get a chance later on.

Me too! Gotta find time with my own mods and whatnot..

zhade

• View Profile
    • zhaDe's stuff
« Reply #394 on: February 16, 2017, 01:24:53 pm »
Fixed some issues with rain of arrow not showing properly on some maps, as well as issues when controlling purim or popoie:
V0.04
Manual Block (altho selectable) only works for Player1 controlling randi..

zhade

• View Profile
    • zhaDe's stuff
« Reply #395 on: February 27, 2017, 04:32:52 pm »
Heres another new version:

CPUs_Dont_Block_Screen
- CPUs now teleport to player if they go off-screen

Strong_And_Weak_Attacks
- Fixed some issues with rain of arrows hit-detection
- Added sounds to all new attack animations
- Slight modification to the javelin melee attack animation

Manual_Block
- Holding L to block now works
- Blocking for more than (about) 1 second resets the character's power%

No_Automatic_Blocking
- Players won't block attacks automatically
 I thought some people might not like "Manual_Block" to remove auto-blocking so here it is as an option

Download link:
V.0.05

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 27, 2017, 05:29:55 pm »
Great! I'll give this another go!
I kind of lost track of this project's progress, and got a bit confused skimming through the thread.... Did you catch up with all the changes done before you re-started from scratch? (that "v0.09" patch back in page 10)

DragonArk

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 27, 2017, 06:54:50 pm »
Wow amazing work, can't wait to try these :D

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 28, 2017, 02:49:51 am »
Heres another new version:

CPUs_Dont_Block_Screen
- CPUs now teleport to player if they go off-screen

Strong_And_Weak_Attacks
- Fixed some issues with rain of arrows hit-detection
- Added sounds to all new attack animations
- Slight modification to the javelin melee attack animation

Manual_Block
- Holding L to block now works
- Blocking for more than (about) 1 second resets the character's power%

No_Automatic_Blocking
- Players won't block attacks automatically
 I thought some people might not like "Manual_Block" to remove auto-blocking so here it is as an option

Download link:
V.0.05

<channeling Bill & Ted's Excellent Advanture>
"Excellent!!"

zhade

• View Profile
    • zhaDe's stuff
« Reply #399 on: March 04, 2017, 06:30:39 am »
Great! I'll give this another go!
I kind of lost track of this project's progress, and got a bit confused skimming through the thread.... Did you catch up with all the changes done before you re-started from scratch? (that "v0.09" patch back in page 10)

No, there are still some features that were in the "old version" that are missing, the most important one being spell binding /casting without having to go into the menu. Actually, aside from that, I think the only missing things are the 3 difficulty settings, the reduced chance of inflicting status effects with weapons and the increased damage from elemental sabers when hitting enemies that are weak to the element as well as decreased chance (normally 100%) of inflicting the saber's status effect.

Also missing (but coming in the next beta version) are "magic-recharging" and "spirits default levels", the later which will be fully customizable in the "avanced" options so you can choose the stating level of each spirit.