Hi guys, I finaly started making something with my new assembler, altho its not really something new, Its the "mp appearing in the status bar thing", I made it way better than the first time, I guess the way it was done before could have been a cause of slowdowns and weird behaviors (and even worse things on a real snes). It is also way more flexible, I can move the subs easily to make it compatible with other hacks. I think I could make my assembler into some kind of patching program, its actually kind of what it already does really.., but instead of using multiple asm files, all the files could be squeezed into a custom patch file format to make it more simple to use. That would also help with some issue I have with the "showing mp" thing right now which is that Its easier for me and faster for the CPU to have have all the tiles the HUD uses at the same place so it can all be sent to VRAM in 1 block, but because of lack of space where the gfx usually are, I cant add just add my custom graphics in there so instead I copy the normal graphics into an expanded region of the rom and insert my graphics there. That means an ips patch (correct me if Im wrong), would contain the copy of the usual graphics which is copyrighted material.. altho many hacks available here probably have little bits of copyrighted stuff like that I would like to avoid it completely just as an added challenge. A custom patcher could go get these graphics from the ROM to be patched instead like my assembler does. There are probably some patch formats that can handle this easily tho.. right ?
I still have to think about all this many-patches thing, Ill try to make each feature not dependent from others as much as possible as it helps keep it all organized anyway and easy to add to other mod projects I might have in the future (instead of having to start from scratch like im doing now), but I might end up doing a single patch that contains the complete mod and release small stand-alone single-feature patches like this one so that people who would like play "regular secret of mana" with only some slight changes can do it as well as the asm code if other hackers need to modify it a bit for it to work with their project.
I think I should make another that sets the default level of spirits next, that one should not conflict with anything anyway as I dont think it would require any new subroutine so it could be used with the latest version of the improvement Hack
As I was talking about "other mod projects" I might have, there is this one that I think might be fun: A monster battle arena in which 2 players select a monster and face each other or in single player, one could fight waves of enemies and unlock new controllable monsters as they progress. I already have been able to make monsters controllable :
and altho the control response time needs improving it works pretty well. The only problem is I don't know if it would be possible to change playable characters like randi into a monster so that monster vs monster fights are possible, the game tends to seperate playble characters form enemies on many things... I could instead make enemies be able to hit (friendly fire) other monsters, but then the non-player monsters AI would need to be changed so they target one of their own.. At least the 2player versus mode should be possible I guess.. Hit-detection is actually the next thing im gonna be looking at figuring out in the disassembly since I know understand character sprite frames which have a flag that states if the character is hitable during the frame and weapon/attacks frames (monster's non-weapon attacks are actually weapon frames but with an invisible weapon sprite
) which have a flag that states if the weapon causes damage on the frame, so hit-detection looks like its just checking when the 2 collides basically.
Ill then probably go look into spells, visual effects as well as actual effect (altho that last one seems rather straighforward) so ill have a better idea of what I could do with them. Then getting to understand ranged attacks could be nice, I might be able to mix the 2 and have spell effects for projectiles in order to make spells that dont target enemies directly or have say the fire saber spell make so your sword slashes then shoot fireballs
Im sorry for the bugs that are present in the last patch, my new assembler is based on the one I used before (which I didnt keep a backup) and wont compile my old files anymore so I can't fix it 0_0 You will have to wait until I rewrite it all but since I want to continue getting to know the game better and working on tools to make it all easier to work with that might take a while.. sorry