News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Poll

Which control scheme would you prefer for the weak/strong attacks

B for Weak, forward + B for strong
0 (0%)
B for Weak, A for strong (running only available in towns)
0 (0%)
Forward B for weak, B for strong
0 (0%)
B for weak, Y for strong (X used for own menu and X again to change to other characters menu)
0 (0%)
other (please post your suggestion)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Secret Of Mana Gameplay Improvement Hack  (Read 195755 times)

Regrs

• View Profile
Re: Secret Of Mana Gameplay Improvement Hack
« Reply #180 on: September 19, 2015, 12:16:04 pm »
A little misunderstanding.
Hiei cannot translate japanese to english, as he told me in the thread, but he can restore the cut content, like the chainsaw of the Kettle Kin.

Something I never see anyone talk about, do you plan on restoring Minotaur's jump attack?

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 19, 2015, 01:23:28 pm »
Something I never see anyone talk about, do you plan on restoring Minotaur's jump attack?

If it was cut, it will be restored for the retranslation and the expansion.
Remember, I ain't no programmer, but a graphic designer with lots of ideas.

theonyxphoenix

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 21, 2015, 01:15:40 pm »
I tried v0.8 but there are issues when moving the characters, like when there is the earthquake at the beginning...the NPCs move, but the screen doesn't move so you cannot see the scene.

This wasn't a problem, as the game progressed...until I defeated Tropicallo.  Once I got the axe and Watts tried to open the secret door my characters would get stuck and cannot progress.  Watts would move, and the screen wouldn't move to the right completely.  This caused my characters to get stuck.

From what I have seen so far, though...I like the blocking mechanic a great deal and when you reach higher levels of charge (like level 2 sword), the level 1 charge is full very quickly. Would it be possible to do increased damage on an attack after a counter, or have it increase the charge bar?  Just spitballing here.

I hope the movement bug is fixed soon because it is very fun so far.

I don't know if any of these suggestions would be implemented but you had mentioned before about making different weapons give passive bonuses.  I see that the 2nd level sword boosts agility.  Is evade only done now through active input?  If so, does this sword passive have an effect?

zhade

• View Profile
    • zhaDe's stuff
« Reply #183 on: September 22, 2015, 03:44:40 am »
@theonyxphoenix

I fixed the screen movement thing, It will work in the next version, Ill post the next version soon, I just have to repair something I screwed while messing with AI  :-\.

By "after a counter" do you mean after you block/evade ? Raising the charge bar can't really be done because it uses the same space as the power% so you would not be able to see the power% once you have some charge accumulated.

As for the weapons bonuses, the bow now has an increased chance to hit (it actually always hits now) and I plan to raise the axe critical hit rate. For players, the only way to dodge is by using the block/dodge button, the AGI increase still has its use tho, the more AGI you have the faster your power % goes up after an attack, altho the 2nd sword only adds 5 to the AGI so you probably wont notice the difference. AGI also raises the evade rate, which still has its use because the evade rate doesnt work as it usually does in games. When you get hit by an enemy, depending on your evade% there is a chance that you will be delt less damage, normally when the resulting damage is equal or lower than 0, the character automaticaly dodges, now you receive 1 damage. AGI might also raise your hit% altho im not sure. Hit% works kind of the same way, if you hit an enemy the higher your hit%, the less chance you have to "miss" which would result in less damage.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 22, 2015, 09:42:02 am »
So, I've been absent from this thread for awhile now, but it sounds like the patch is coming along well--zhade, how much more work are you doing with it?  Or is it practically in its beta form right now?

zhade

• View Profile
    • zhaDe's stuff
« Reply #185 on: September 24, 2015, 03:15:25 am »
New version:
- Fixed the screen scrolling bug
- Fixed the pureLand bug (for good this time)
- Faster shopping
V0.9

So, I've been absent from this thread for awhile now, but it sounds like the patch is coming along well--zhade, how much more work are you doing with it?  Or is it practically in its beta form right now?

There is still alot of stuff I want to add and stuff Im not sure about here's my todo list :
The ones with a "?" are the ones im still not sure about.
It doesnt use proper english because its only notes but I guess you'll figure out what it means.

Code: [Select]
-- Magic binding
- Error sound when can't cast (look at event that plays sfx)
- Stay in taget-mode when can't cast
- Multiple targets (up/down)
- Left/right only target players/enemies
- Better way to show target(s)

-- Magic rebalancing
- Increase stats-up bufs time
- Spritit default levels
- Elemental status effects chance
- Sabers: thunder = confusion, light = uncouscious, flame cost more, change costs

-- Weapons
- axe crits
- javelin slash ?
- gloves faster/weaker ?
- gloves counter-attack (throw) ?
- bring back the gloves throw
- boomerang melee attack ?
- bow weak attack better range ?
- sword dodge ? (move backward)
- Weapon status effects chance

-- AI characters
- change reaction time ?
- change attack distance ?

-- Enemies
- change reaction time ?

-- Difficulty
- Normal
- Insane ?

-- Misc
- Strong attack on Y ? make it an option ?
- Resume charging after lock when you press A
- Treasure chest not giving already full items
- Prevent ultra-super-powered-attacks
- Agr(something) Boss chew you (regrs)
- Lower-case naming (regrs)
- Equipment stats-up ?

Im calling it a beta since the first version because its not finished yet but I guess its more of an alpha because there is some features that still need to be implemented. I guess it should be called a beta when everything is done but it still needs testing and tweaking, right ?

Its getting closer to be finished but there is still some things I need to add like the stuff about magic binding, magic rebalancing, the normal difficulty and make my mind about the insane difficulty (because of the way I made it, if I implement insane difficulty and you load a game on the current patch, the difficulty would go up, like if you played on easy it would be considered normal). I guess I should add the insane difficulty for people who like to die alto, it wouldnt change anything if you chose another difficulty anyway. The rest could be added in a later version because if people start to play, their game wont have a problem if they update to a later patch.

If someone suggested something and its not in the todo list, please tell me again because I might have forgotten about it :P

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 25, 2015, 02:37:53 pm »
Im calling it a beta since the first version because its not finished yet but I guess its more of an alpha because there is some features that still need to be implemented. I guess it should be called a beta when everything is done but it still needs testing and tweaking, right ?

That was what I meant by a beta yeah (sorry if I didn't clear that up)--the hardtype SOM patch left a bad taste in my mouth, so I'm looking forward to this quite a bit.  I just don't have time to help test the real problems that are cropping up while you implement things (if grad school would stop the beatings for a few days, maybe I could though), but once it gets to that actual beta stage, I'm very OK with doing a bit of "testing" for sure!

theonyxphoenix

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 26, 2015, 05:42:01 pm »
@theonyxphoenix

I fixed the screen movement thing, It will work in the next version, Ill post the next version soon, I just have to repair something I screwed while messing with AI  :-\.

By "after a counter" do you mean after you block/evade ? Raising the charge bar can't really be done because it uses the same space as the power% so you would not be able to see the power% once you have some charge accumulated.

As for the weapons bonuses, the bow now has an increased chance to hit (it actually always hits now) and I plan to raise the axe critical hit rate. For players, the only way to dodge is by using the block/dodge button, the AGI increase still has its use tho, the more AGI you have the faster your power % goes up after an attack, altho the 2nd sword only adds 5 to the AGI so you probably wont notice the difference. AGI also raises the evade rate, which still has its use because the evade rate doesnt work as it usually does in games. When you get hit by an enemy, depending on your evade% there is a chance that you will be delt less damage, normally when the resulting damage is equal or lower than 0, the character automaticaly dodges, now you receive 1 damage. AGI might also raise your hit% altho im not sure. Hit% works kind of the same way, if you hit an enemy the higher your hit%, the less chance you have to "miss" which would result in less damage.

Thanks for fixing that bug. I'll have to repatch and try it out.

As for the the blocking mechanic and changing the charge bar.  You mentioned that agility increases the rate of the charge bar.  Since blocking is manual would it be possible to utilize the more interactive move-block-attack mechanic to increase agility for a short burst with a successful block, thereby giving an increase to charge speed?  Right now, blocking is useful but only if you can time things right, which can be difficult.  If there is a way to add an incentive to blocking, or somehow making the timing a little more forgiving.

Now that I will be able to progress a little more, I can probably provide further data. I'm trying to play it as a charge in/block/attack/repeat with Randi instead of trying to dance around.

I like the idea of having the bow increase accuracy, etc.  I also look forward to having the glove throw implemented.  I think that the up close weapons like Glove, Axe, Sword, and Spear should have more bonuses from the blocking than Whip, Javelin, Boomerang, and Bow.

I really like what you are doing. Keep up the good work.  This project has the potential to make one of the best SNES games, and one of my favorite of all time, even better.

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 26, 2015, 06:20:53 pm »
A little misunderstanding.
Hiei cannot translate japanese to english, as he told me in the thread, but he can restore the cut content, like the chainsaw of the Kettle Kin.

I could if I wanted but for those two reasons, I won't :

- I'm not a native english speaker so the english would be far from perfect.
- I don't actually have the time to translate a ~500K script (Actually working on a japanese to french translation of Phantasy Star Generation 1 for PS2, after since we already released a translation of the sequel a while ago).

I think what he meant is the new french script is perfectly accurate with the original japanese script, so if a native english speaker with a good french knowledge would translate it, it would give a pretty good english script (far better than the actual one) and probably not so far from an original japanese to english translation. And finding a native english speaker which understand french might be easier than finding a native english speaker which understand japanese.

By the way, couldn't answered you in pm because your inbox is full, but I'm not really a programmer (I'm a translator with some basic romhack knowledge) at all so I wouldn't really be able to help at all.

Actually, I'm working on a uncut patch with english script yeah. It's not over yet, but it's near over. Just need to rework the linebreaks of the script to make full use of the VWF. I also need to finish to move a few things in the room to make the patch compatible with zhade work.

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 26, 2015, 11:28:13 pm »
I could if I wanted but for those two reasons, I won't :

- I'm not a native english speaker so the english would be far from perfect.
- I don't actually have the time to translate a ~500K script (Actually working on a japanese to french translation of Phantasy Star Generation 1 for PS2, after since we already released a translation of the sequel a while ago).

I think what he meant is the new french script is perfectly accurate with the original japanese script, so if a native english speaker with a good french knowledge would translate it, it would give a pretty good english script (far better than the actual one) and probably not so far from an original japanese to english translation. And finding a native english speaker which understand french might be easier than finding a native english speaker which understand japanese.

By the way, couldn't answered you in pm because your inbox is full, but I'm not really a programmer (I'm a translator with some basic romhack knowledge) at all so I wouldn't really be able to help at all.

Actually, I'm working on a uncut patch with english script yeah. It's not over yet, but it's near over. Just need to rework the linebreaks of the script to make full use of the VWF. I also need to finish to move a few things in the room to make the patch compatible with zhade work.

I see. I cleared my inbox for new messages, still I wouldn't mind you joining the project, even if it is just your two cents.

DragonArk

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 30, 2015, 08:26:06 pm »
Hey guys, thought this would relate seeing that SoM was originally for the Snes CD. One console has been found and an unmarked cartridge is also sitting in it. It's the only one known in the world so it's worth a fortune, probably 6 figures at least. They haven't booted it up yet for safety reasons, but they will soon, so keep a look out at his channel!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCV6RusogAk

Hope everything is going well with the improvements, been coming here every day but has seemed to die down a bit.

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 01, 2015, 01:48:46 am »
I wonder if this is the real deal.
And anyways... It was told that the data of the original Seiken Densetsu 2 went lost with the cancelation.
Nobody knows where the lost project cds and cartridges are.

DragonArk

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 01, 2015, 02:08:42 am »
It has been confirmed real and he will be going to RetroHK soon, to show it off and to get some pros to have a look at it. Yeah I know there would be no chance that SoM is on it, seeing that it was used/found in America, I just thought people would want to know.

Here's the other videos he has posted

Update1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7t3_yrIxV4
Update2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7r4yFvQNsI

Sorry going off topic.

Back to Secret of Mana, anyone heard anything from Eikigou / Enker who took over from mop doing the secret of mana editor? I hope he's doing something with it. If that was done, I can imagine people putting a lot of time making their own games!

zhade

• View Profile
    • zhaDe's stuff
« Reply #193 on: October 01, 2015, 10:36:00 pm »
I dont think the cartrige will be SoM, I think it was canceled when they were still in the planning phase, I dont think they had anything really playable when the console was canceled. I think the cartrige is probably some kind of demo that shows the console's power to show developers what is possible with the hardware. This console would have been so great tho.. The gaming industry would have been alot different if it were not canceled, sony + nintendo would have had no real competition aside from the sega CD which would have been obscured even more than it was. I think nintendo has always been great because they make good games, sony because they make good hardware, if both would be put together it would have been gamer's paradise, all the great psx rpg with CD audio quality and videos and all the great nintendo classics like zelda, mario, donkey kong and metroid on the same console !

I've not been working on this hack in the last 2 weeks or so, im very busy with work and since im working night shifts, I live mostly at night in a small appartment where I cant make any noise so when I have a day free of work I have to do all my cleaning, go buy food, and try to go see a friend. When I get back from work im very tired so I dont always feel like working on this. I also got a new computer so now I can play games, Ive had an old computer for years now so there is alot of games I never have been able to play. I have a tendency of not finishing projects that I start and I don't want this to be another of these so Ill try to find time to finish it, I think ill start with the most important stuff to make sure that if I ever get tired of working on it, It'll at least be in a state that I can be proud of. I probably wont get tired of it soon tho, I started this project because I wanted to play the game with the improvements but now I enjoy hacking even more than actually playing it lol so even tho I might not update as often ill probably continue to work on it from time to time after the first "offical" release or official beta realease.

SageOwl

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 02, 2015, 06:47:41 pm »
I dont think the cartrige will be SoM, I think it was canceled when they were still in the planning phase, I dont think they had anything really playable when the console was canceled. I think the cartrige is probably some kind of demo that shows the console's power to show developers what is possible with the hardware. This console would have been so great tho.. The gaming industry would have been alot different if it were not canceled, sony + nintendo would have had no real competition aside from the sega CD which would have been obscured even more than it was. I think nintendo has always been great because they make good games, sony because they make good hardware, if both would be put together it would have been gamer's paradise, all the great psx rpg with CD audio quality and videos and all the great nintendo classics like zelda, mario, donkey kong and metroid on the same console !

I've not been working on this hack in the last 2 weeks or so, im very busy with work and since im working night shifts, I live mostly at night in a small appartment where I cant make any noise so when I have a day free of work I have to do all my cleaning, go buy food, and try to go see a friend. When I get back from work im very tired so I dont always feel like working on this. I also got a new computer so now I can play games, Ive had an old computer for years now so there is alot of games I never have been able to play. I have a tendency of not finishing projects that I start and I don't want this to be another of these so Ill try to find time to finish it, I think ill start with the most important stuff to make sure that if I ever get tired of working on it, It'll at least be in a state that I can be proud of. I probably wont get tired of it soon tho, I started this project because I wanted to play the game with the improvements but now I enjoy hacking even more than actually playing it lol so even tho I might not update as often ill probably continue to work on it from time to time after the first "offical" release or official beta realease.
I agree wholeheartedly. It definitely would have been stellar, especially with a game like Maru Island aka the OG Secret of Mana being a launch title. It'd be like "Here's an amazingly expansive action RPG, and this is just the beginning of what we can do with this add-on". The sky would have been the limit, and Sega definitely would have been in trouble. It is just too bad that they waited so damn long to even come to some kind of agreement on it. Just yet another example how business stifled creativity.

On the topic of your progression on the hack, I say do whatever you have to do to keep working on it. It's a big project and you're a 1 man team for the most part, so if it is overwhelming then just take breaks. No need to force inspiration if you do not have a set deadline to reach. Everything you have done so far has been more than enough to wow the crap out of a regular shmuck like me. It's all for the greater good of realizing just what is under the rust that is the vanilla game.

zhade

• View Profile
    • zhaDe's stuff
« Reply #195 on: October 03, 2015, 06:38:18 am »
I've worked on magic binding/targeting related stuff today

I've found how to plays sounds ! so now there is a sound that plays when a character is able to cast again. I used the sound that is played when you save your game or after you sleep at an inn, I think it fits and its not used in combat so it wont be confusing and it keeps you from having to look if the face icons stop flashing. I also made it play an error sound when you try to cast but have no MP or try to cast with a character that is not able to cast atm, have no target or the hotkey has no spell bound to it. And also, the "cursor" sound is played when changing target(s), it makes targeting a bit less confusing.

Pressing right in target mode now only cycles through the allies and pressing left cycles through the enemies, chests or crystals. If there is no enemy in the screen, you will target nothing, so if you fight a boss and press R, left + hotkey quickly but the boss jumped out of the screen you wont target the boy with your attack spell. This should make it so you will never target your allies with attack spells or enemies with defensive spells by mistake anymore.

The face cursor now takes the height of the target into account so it appears under the enemy instead of under the enemy's shadow.

Im now working on mutlitargeting, I got it to work for all enemies when pressing up, I only need to make the same thing for allies. After that ill be done with all things magic-targeting related, other than maybe try to find a better way to highlight targets like a palette effect instead of flashing.

theonyxphoenix

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 03, 2015, 12:50:28 pm »
Confirmed that the camera bug has been fixed. I made it up to Undine. My thoughts so far...

- The extended range on the bow is amazing and brings it's usefulness way up, although sometimes it can be hard to hit when horizontal to an enemy.

- Spikey Tiger was very difficult (of course I'm playing on hard anyway).  I used all of my CoW, Candy, and Chocolate and still barely managed to beat him.  He just decimated the Girl and Sprite for most of the battle. I just used the CoW to give him extra targets.  I didn't feel like I was too underleveled, but Spikey can be hard on a normal game.

- The targeting system is still taking some getting used to.  When you select a spell and then have to scroll through all of the moving enemies to find your right target, and not having multi-target capabilities (heal, mainly) is making it tough. I'm already having trouble keeping the CPU controlled characters alive.  I try casting from the menu and it doesn't pause the action to cast or select targets.  I haven't tried binding the spells, yet.

Looking forward to progress and keep up the good work! 

October 04, 2015, 04:14:25 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I find that it is really difficult to level up your spells when you cannot multi-target and you have a timer. I think that some adjustments would need to be made, especially at higher levels where you need to cast 100 times to reach the next level.

It is nice that you can stay at the water temple and level up both the sprite and the girl's magic.  This, has the side effect of being able to kill your own characters with the sprite spells.  This causes you to gain levels extremely fast. I gained 10 levels in just a matter of minutes.  This could pose a problem in the future if you are trying to increase the weapons to 8:99.  Of course, you could just avoid casting on yourself, but it is something that may want to be examined.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 04:14:25 pm by theonyxphoenix »

zhade

• View Profile
    • zhaDe's stuff
« Reply #197 on: October 05, 2015, 02:24:22 am »
Confirmed that the camera bug has been fixed. I made it up to Undine. My thoughts so far...

- The extended range on the bow is amazing and brings it's usefulness way up, although sometimes it can be hard to hit when horizontal to an enemy.

- Spikey Tiger was very difficult (of course I'm playing on hard anyway).  I used all of my CoW, Candy, and Chocolate and still barely managed to beat him.  He just decimated the Girl and Sprite for most of the battle. I just used the CoW to give him extra targets.  I didn't feel like I was too underleveled, but Spikey can be hard on a normal game.

- The targeting system is still taking some getting used to.  When you select a spell and then have to scroll through all of the moving enemies to find your right target, and not having multi-target capabilities (heal, mainly) is making it tough. I'm already having trouble keeping the CPU controlled characters alive.  I try casting from the menu and it doesn't pause the action to cast or select targets.  I haven't tried binding the spells, yet.

Looking forward to progress and keep up the good work !

Thx for your feedback !

The bow, when shooting left/right is trickier to aim because of the way the arrow is affected by gravity, I managed to make it shoot a bit more straight but I can't make it shoot straighter or else it affects the distance the arrow will travel. Remember to place yourself a bit higher when shooting targets that are far. I would need to find something for the javeline.. I wanted it to have a melee attack but it looks like I would need to create a new animation for it and I really have no idea how to do this... The boomerang could have a melee attack as a weak attack since there is already an animation for it when doing the first charge but the javeline only has a "whirlwind" animation on the level 8 charge (IIRC) and the animation takes too much time for it to be used as a weak attack. Using the melee attack with the boomerang would be useful when attack enemies that are close because it would be faster that throwing it and waiting for it to come back. The axe is gonna have higher crit rate to make it different from the sword, and the glove would need something too..

Yeah , spikey tiger is hard to beat sometimes. He has a kind of random chance to go up on the sides and cast spells and is only vulnerable to ranged weapons when he does. When I tested hard mode, I leveled up a bit (1 level for each char IIRC) after dying and when I fought him again he stayed on the ground for most of the fight and I managed to beat him without using any CoW or chocolate. When he is on the sides the AI are bad at attacking him and he keeps using his flame spells which paralyzes you so its hard to deal good damage to him. So you got to have a bit of luck.. He is still beatable even if he keeps going up on the sides but its not gonna be easy. he always has been a tough boss, as a kid I used to level up alot before fighting him so I like how tough he is since its predictable because of the way the stats are changed by multipliers that its not gonna be an easy fight and it brings back memories.

About the targeting system, im working on changing it right now, and im adding multi-targeting. If you dont want to go through all the targets, remember that the cursor always starts on the boy so if you want to target an enemy, press left and press right if you want to target an ally, that way you will at most have to press 3 times to get to your target.

About leveling up spells, I already plan to have elements start with a higher default level than 0 depending on when the spirit joins, so for example undine would start at level 0 but dryad would have level 4 so you wont have to grind levels for it to be usable which would make it less tedious to level-up. I might change the exp given on each cast too, in my playthrough I didnt grind any magic level and it wasnt a big issue as attack magic are really strong even when not fully leveled but I might increase the exp gain and reduce the damage of attack spells and the healing power of cure so that you dont finish the game with spells at level 5-6. Grinding spell levels is easy but time consuming and that is not fun.. I like how you gain exp for the spirit you use tho, its fun to be specialised in an element so when a boss weak to this element shows up you can kick his ass. I think increasing the exp gain would be the best way to deal with this so you would still have a speciality or can choose to grind all elements if you want but only then it would really be time consuming.

About getting exp when killing allies, yea that is kind of broken, especially if you level up your attack spells at an inn or somewhere where you can heal fast. I already planned to fix this but forgot about it, ill look at it, it should not be really hard to do. The exp that a character has is located at the same place as the exp an enemy will give you if you kill it so I guess it gives you all the exp that the character has accumulated when you kill him which is ALOT. This was possible to abuse in vanilla if you casted spells on an enemy which had a wall so it would bounce on your allies, but having to possibility to target your allies makes this way too easy and I guess it was more of a bug than a feature in the first place anyway.

Update:
I finished implementing multi-targeting, I fixed a bug that could mess things up when casting a spell too at the same time. Right now, if you press left to target enemies but no enemy is present, you will target nothing, the face cursor will return back to the status area which can be confusing because you are still in targeting mode, I dont know if I should make it so that if you target nothing you get an "error" sound and get out of targeting mode. It is possible to cast revify on all characters so if the girl is the only one left alive it will revive the other 2 party members. I dont think its really a bad thing tho, revify costs so much.. The other spells dont seem to have any problem beign cast on all, you can cast mana magic on all if you want but it only works on the boy if he has the sword anyway.. I cant think of other spells that can normally only be cast on 1 target so I guess it should be alright. I still need to make it work for all 3 players and will try to fix the bug that lets you get exp when you kill allies and then ill post the new version.

--------------------
Edit:

Ok, heres the new version : V0.10

Changes:
- sound when changing target
- sound when can't cast (not enough MP, recharging, hotkey not bound etc..)
- a sound is played when a character can cast again
- a sound is played when binding a spell to a button
- multi targeting
- target cursor appears under the target instead of under the target's shadow
- new magic targeting controls:
   left for enemies, right for allies, up for all enemies, down for all allies
- No exp is gained when killing allies
- some bug fixes
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 02:54:01 am by zhade »

theonyxphoenix

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 06, 2015, 09:50:28 am »
Alright. I'll have to check it out.

I like the idea of starting the elementals at different levels based on when you obtain them.  It should help them to scale without grinding.  Especially with the Lumina-Luna-Shade portion of the game where leveling up those spells to equal Undine or Gnome is very tedious.

So what are the current weapon bonuses (or prospective bonuses)?

Sword: Increased Agil
Axe: Increased Crit
Bow: Increased Distance and Hit%
Glove: ?
Javelin: ?
Boomerang: ?
Whip: ?
Spear: ?

zhade

• View Profile
    • zhaDe's stuff
« Reply #199 on: October 06, 2015, 07:34:43 pm »
I have not thought of a bonus for every weapons. At first I only wanted to make the bow better, but then the javelin looks bad compared to the new bow so it would need something too. Then I figured I should also do something with the axe since it pretty much works like the sword but has lower damage and reach. The gloves also dont seem like a good option compared to the sword. The boomerang is pretty good since it can attack multiple enemies at a distance (the whip also can but it cant attack enemies that are on higher/lower ground) but I would like to give it a melee attack to make the strong and weal attacks different. So heres my current ideas about the weapons:

Sword : nothing (its good as it is)
Axe : Increased Crit
Bow : Distance and Hit %
Glove : Attacking drains less power%
Javelin : ?
Boomerang : weak attack is a melee attack
Whip : I like the whip as it is, I don't know if it already is that way, but it would be nice if the damage was higher if the enemy touch the "slash" instead of the rope portion of the attack
Spear : nothing (it already has the best attack power and a good range)

----------------------
Edit:
Im looking at weapons animations right now, I knew that values 01 02 03 were normal attacks like slash/thrust etc. depending on the weapon type and then higher value were charged attacks animation, puting even higher values results in buged/weird animations so I stoped looking because I thought it would only be more of this but it seems that after a certain point it start to play other animations, some that were unused like a cliff hanging animation that faces left/right, and other "mood" animation like "yes", "no" , "laugh" , "sad", "yay!" etc.. I think it could be interestion for ppl who would want to play coop on the net to be able to use these animations. There is still the lack of unused buttons problem but maybe it could be done by holding select or start + a D-Pad direction. That way if a player is heading in the wrong direction another player could use the "no" animation to tell him thats the wrong way or use the "sad" animation if another player dies and there is no cup of wishes left. It would not really be a big useful feature but I think it could be fun to be able to use those animations.

Regarding weapons, there seems to exist more attack animations than I thought, the javelin actually has a "slash" animation that the game never uses and it works (actually attacks enemies, and can attack more than one if they are grouped) it didnt play a swing sound automatically but I managed to make it play one. The attack doesnt have a big hit-box so you have to be very close to the target, it was suposed to be the weak attack but unless two or more enemies are close together there would be no reason to use it so I made it the strong attack, makes sense since its harder to hit with it that it deals more damage.
Here is a video of it in action : Javelin Melee attack

I thought it would be nice if all ranged weapons had different strong and weak attack effects other than the damage dealt and the power% so I changed the bow and the boomerang too:
Bow : strong : greater distance, weak: shoot 2 arrows
Boomerang : strong : slower animation with greater distance, weak : normal boomerang attack
Video : Bow and boomerang new attacks

I've changed the bow double arrow range a bit after I uploaded the video, it shoots a bit farther that what is shown.

The whip has 2 different animations but it does pretty much the same thing, I think I should try to find something for it too.

Regrs told me that the axe actually have more attack power than the sword, its still not as good tho so I still think increasing the crit rate would make it more enjoyable to use.

I also managed to change two chest in pandora castle treasure room, instead of giving 50GP they now give a glove and an axe orb, the glove and the axe always had a missing orb so they were always 1level lower than the others until the mana fortress where you can obtain orbs from enemies. I still need to change all other glove and axe orb chests because right now they wont appear because since your level would be higher than what it should normally be. It should not be too much work since most of the orbs are obtained after fighting bosses anyway.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 01:51:25 am by zhade »