News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Landstalker's terrible d-pad control  (Read 8914 times)

Hiei-

• View Profile
Re: Landstalker's terrible d-pad control
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2015, 07:38:15 pm »
No, really, I don't think so :)

I don't think so either. Genesis/Megadrive D-Pad have "real" diagonals so it wasn't a problem at all.

Contrary to most other controllers which require you to hold two directions to input a diagonal.

Great job and thanks to M.I.J.E.T., although imagine my dismay, when I applied the patch and realized that the new controls were not mapped in the way that I expected or considered natural. :o So, I decided to hack the patch and get things fixed! In the new patch file, the controls are mapped like this: Up on the D-pad = , Down = , Left = & Right = . Let me know if there are any issues or if the file is not available any more.

http://www.filedropper.com/landstalker-alternatecontrolscustomcontrols

Seems the most natural choice. Which choice M.I.DJ.E.T did?

By the way, your file is unavailable.

MagicianLord

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2015, 05:32:37 pm »
Hey guys, I'm glad there is interest in my version! ;D I have reuploaded the file http://www.filedropper.com/landstalker-alternatecontrolscustomcontrols, so please give it a try and let me know if there are any issues.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 06:04:17 pm by MagicianLord »

baochan

• View Profile
    • Shoot the Castle!
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2015, 10:07:59 am »
Thanks! Out of curiosity, what tools did you use to manipulate the IPS file and to know which values to move around? Some kind of disassembler I imagine?

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2015, 11:26:24 am »

Here's a mirror link which will always be online without time limits : http://www.hiei-tf.fr/Landstalker_-_Alternate_Controls_Custom.ips
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 07:30:47 pm by Hiei- »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2015, 05:58:22 pm »
Thanks! Out of curiosity, what tools did you use to manipulate the IPS file and to know which values to move around? Some kind of disassembler I imagine?

IPS Peek and IPS Select are good for that. The first one views the changes made and where, the second let's you select which changes to apply when patching.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2015, 11:28:00 am »
IPS Peek and IPS Select are good for that. The first one views the changes made and where, the second let's you select which changes to apply when patching.

Hex Workshop and WindHex also offer a file comparison function to compare the final patched file with the original one. As long as the internal file tree wasn't rebuilt (think stuff like GC/PSP/DS onwards) you can pinpoint exactly what changed. It's quite useful dare I say - I admit to getting Chinese-translated stuff just to know where the text/font is (well, corruption might be more useful for this purpose, but whatever).

MagicianLord

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2015, 08:08:01 am »

Here's a mirror link which will always be online without time limits : http://www.hiei-tf.fr/Landstalker%20-%20Alternate%20Controls%20(Custom%20Controls).ips

Thanks for that Hiei, that should save me some trouble! :thumbsup:

You just need a hex reader/editor at the end of the day. I have not used the utilities that other people have mentioned but what I did was the following:

Created a copy of the Landstalker rom file and applied the patch to it. Then I used VBinDiff to compare the differences between the two roms. Once I knew which memory values were set by the patch, I opened the patched rom using Hxd and started to change them slightly in order to see the effect that change would have. This step involved a fair amount of trial and error. In the end and once I knew which values needed to be changed I just edited the existing patch to create a new one.

In general it took me half a day to get it working like I wanted, so it wasn't easy but it sure was fun! :)

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2015, 05:50:24 pm »
Apparently Ladystalker seems to have same controls as the original patch, so when I get around to playing it, I hope I'll be able to hack it if someone hasn't done so already!

Just did this. Was a fairly simple hack. I'll certainly be including the patch as an optional extra with the eventual release.

Caiterz

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2015, 06:34:57 pm »
Ladystalker
eventual release.

Pls. :O

MagicianLord

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2015, 04:21:55 pm »
Just did this. Was a fairly simple hack. I'll certainly be including the patch as an optional extra with the eventual release.

Excellent thanks! :thumbsup: Look forward to it.

cospefogo

• "Take this silver dagger to save your neck."
    • View Profile
    • Fliperamas
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2016, 01:52:13 pm »
Bah!
Superb!

I have been searching for such hack for a long time!
Thanks, guys!
Really thanks!

Cospefogo.
"Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard.
If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."

KML_85

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2019, 07:21:11 am »
Does anyone still have MagicianLord patch, all the links are dead, sorry for necro

vergil2012

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2019, 04:51:05 am »
Does anyone still have MagicianLord patch, all the links are dead, sorry for necro

Try this one (from ''Hiei-''):
https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=20088.msg290594#msg290594