News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Problem with the patch  (Read 1065 times)

Soob

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 1
    • View Profile
Problem with the patch
« on: July 21, 2015, 09:39:23 pm »
Hi,
Firstly I'd like to say that I am an absolutely a johnny-come-lately if it comes to romhacking. I have been interested in translating for a while and I used to translate small parts in NES games.  Recently, I've wanted to translate a game I used to play when I was a kid - Kagero: Deception II.

As I said I am a totally newcomer of romhacking, but I've read some articles about it and I decided to give it a try to translate that game. To make the whole post as short as possible I am going to list when I did step by step and maybe someone'll know how to explain to me how to workaround it.

1) I ripped my copy of "Kagero: Deception II".
2) I downloaded the following programs:
  • Hexeditor - XVI32
  • TaBuLar - to make tables
  • PPF-Studio 1.01b - to make *.pff files
  • ppf-o-matic3 - to add my patch file into the rom
3) I explored the ISO file of the game and I found the file, which consists all dialogues and talks.
4) I opened the main file in the Hexeditor and I found the first sentence that is said in the game.
5) I translated it into my native language and I saved it.
6) When I wanted to create a patch with PPFStudio it showed my an error: "The file you have chosen is bigger than the appropriate file in the BINfile".

I know it doesn't want to make the patch, because my translation is longer than the original version, which makes the file bigger than the original.

Could anybody provide me with an explanation or link me an article where I can find this probably simple problem. I would like to know how to make files bigger than the original ones and be able to run them in my PSX.