News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Critique needed, Legend of Zelda: Link's Gauntlet beta ready to play  (Read 3539 times)

Hollybook

• View Profile
Hey guys, been lurking for quite a while, and id like your opinions and critique on a project of mine called LOZ Link's Gauntlet.
Ive been working on a condensed, more straightforward, action oriented NES zelda rom that can be beaten in one dedicated sitting.
Puzzles and open world have been replaced with a constant push to the east "right" to confront Ganon.  Each and every screen
was designed to be unique and i tried to have all of the best aspects of LOZ present so you can experience zelda again,
in a fresh but shorter little adventure.  Designed with speed running in mind, very encouraged..

This i consider my beta and is fully playable from beginning to end, the only things still planned are changes based on you guyses
critiques and if i can figure it out  some different text to throw in a snazzy backstory and credits.

And here ya go, as you guys test it out ill be working up a map and instruction manual as a fancy "readme"
Id love to hear what you all think.  Have fun!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qi80xt0z3ykcsox/AADLch7fknzpFgHTyNi_Xufma?dl=0

« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 03:18:58 pm by Hollybook »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: Critique needed, Legend of Zelda: Link's Gauntlet beta ready to play
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 03:25:07 pm »
Cool. I'm gonna have to try this out later tonight. Sounds neat. :)
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

Hollybook

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 05:58:08 pm »
Well, the link was taken down because im not supposed to submit ROMS, sorry about that.  Right now i dont know how to just upload an
isp patch for the hack so i guess ill get back to you guys when i do.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 06:30:35 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 12:35:15 pm by Chpexo »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 06:31:27 pm »
There's many IPS patch creators here. Many with GUIs that make it as simple as clicking a Create Patch button, then clicking original ROM and modified ROM.
I personally use LunarIPS.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Hollybook

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 12:09:09 am »
thank you, and sorry for that mix up. This is the first Ive ever posted anything here.
Here is an isp. for you all. 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qi80xt0z3ykcsox/AADLch7fknzpFgHTyNi_Xufma?dl=0

bradzx

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 09:18:22 am »
You forgot rule #1 everyone know!   ;)  Screenshot, bro!  :D 
Are you huge fan of Megaman Xtreme 2?   Then check this progress of Remastered version!

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 12:22:44 pm »
Block isn't set as pushable in the blue wizzrobe room in Level 5. It's unbeatable.

I don't like the price barrier on some items. The magical shield should not be 70 if you fill a room with like-likes that your players will revisit multiple times if they die in the level. Farming Rupees in Level 1 is the best (after the secret money is spent), but it's impossible to go back without resetting or a death because the rock cannot be pushed horizontally.

The secret optional level was cool (I'll admit to not finding it in the honest way). The only door you locked though is the top one in the first room which is a problem; re-entering will unlock the top door. It's useless to lock the top door in the first room, which you also did on a couple other levels, but at least you locked the second room in those as if you knew the glitch.

If you know how to use a hex editor, you can learn many things in this thread and data crystal.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 12:39:30 pm by Jeville »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 03:20:28 pm »
I got a chance to play this the other night but I forgot to post about it. What I played so far was awesome. I really enjoy the more combat-oriented gameplay. It's def a challenge since Link is a loser and can't move diagonally. LOL I was actually thinking of making a similar hack for Zelda 3 but haven't gotten around to it yet. I look forward to seeing an "official" release. Keep up the good work. This is a cool hack. :thumbsup:
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2015, 09:46:28 pm »
It's def a challenge since Link is a loser and can't move diagonally.
That shouldn't be too difficult of a mod to pull off... Most of the challenge would involve background/object collision detection.

Hollybook

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2015, 10:36:48 pm »
thanks guys!  The version I had my friends playtest was beatable, so I musta messed something up with some last min change.. I'll definitely address those problems.  Also I had no idea about this key glitch thing, I'll have to look into that and change some stuff.

The pushable rock thing stopping you from returning to the very left was unintentional (and as far as my skill will take me unavoidable) but I
like the idea that in order to have a deathless run, you can't collect the red ring, book, and wand.

I also gotta get some screenshots and a more detailed description up for everyone but thank you so much for taking the time to play it, I really feel crappy about it not being beatable, I was really trying to avoid that.

Trax

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 12:57:40 am »
Well, this is what betas are for, after all. To find and correct bugs...

I think it's an interesting take on the original Zelda, if a little linear, but I presume it was the goal all along. It's just different from the usual spirit of Zelda. I've reach the place where the pushable block doesn't work in dungeon 5, and therefore, I am blocked as well. I didn't find the Book. And there's a place where a ghost talks to you in a cave, but there's an invisible Lion Key in front of him that you can take. Not sure if it's intentional...

My suggestion for the "can't go back" thing: make a kind of detour that must be used to go back to the screen left of the first pushable block. Right now, the only way is to force save and start from the beginning...

Any hint on the secret dungeon?

Hollybook

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2015, 01:22:55 am »
Didnt know that about the ghost key either, thanks!  I have a busy day tomorrow but i think ill still be able to post up new patch with those problems ironed out.

and as for that secret dungeon hint..  "what do we do with witches?"