News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Droiyan 2 Translation in Progress  (Read 2339 times)

swinezig

• Too lazy to finish Droiyan 2
    • View Profile
Droiyan 2 Translation in Progress
« on: July 11, 2015, 12:05:14 pm »
I guess it's time to give you more details about the translation.

First of all, Droiyan 2 was officially released in Korea and Russia, plus there was a bootleg release in Spain with Spanish text and translated cutscenes. Initially I had only the Russian version, but a few days ago I got my hands on other versions, which allows me to replace voice-overs and edit the original cutscenes, plus test my translation on all of these versions (in theory, it should work, but still). It also means that I won't have to hack most of the UI files.

As for translation itself, I'm not simply translating text for several reasons. First of all, even if Russian translation was alright, the language structure is different, so I'm aiming to make every line look as natural as if the game was written by a native English speaker. That means I have to tamper with the writing and re-arrange the text in a few places.

The translation is going slowly, but unless I encounter any big issues or I get too lazy... ahem, busy, then you can expect the first release of a translation somewhere in late August.

So, some screenshots:

Kissyface.

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
Re: Droiyan 2 Translation in Progress
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 02:40:21 pm »
Hello there, Swinezig!
Is the strong language intended?
I know it's got a cyberpunk vibeto it,but my naive self would have hoped for more kids-friendly vocabulary.
Of course, if that's what's in the original, it makes sense.

I'll be reading your posts & progress! Keep it up!

swinezig

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 03:06:47 pm »
Yes, it's intended for variety of reasons.

The biggest reason is the way Russians handle their localizations.
Despite using strong and harsh language every day, they prefer to avoid and soften it in any kind of localization. I can't say whether's it's intended in the original version (the only thing I know about Korean is how to count from 1 to 10 thanks to taekwondo lessons I took as a kid), but events in the game suggest that it might as well be there (e.g. the protagonist was a wealthy and well-respected man, but now he's on par with a hobo, so he is most likely frustrated as hell, which is the second reason).
Kissyface.

swinezig

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 10:35:51 pm »
I was a bit lazy... ahem, busy lately, but now I'm slowly getting back to it. Currently finishing the quest data, since it's copied to save files every time you start the new game and testing them requires replaying the game over and over again.

Also, I might need help in examining some of the game files, since UI is a bit tricky to translate and ushankas added more issues on top of it.
Kissyface.