News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Does anyone know what game this is?

Started by Tharthan, July 09, 2015, 08:56:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

curseofnight86

#160
Quote from: Cristal on August 09, 2019, 07:02:41 PM
...it's for the PC Engine/TG-16. Since your memory is hazy, maybe you could be misremembering the system?
My step dad didn't own a computer back then. I'm certain, positive, absolutely sure it was an NES game. I don't know what a TG-16 even looks like.

The first PC my dad(my real dad, not that other asshole) got was a Compaq with Win 98. I don't think I ever used a PC before using the ones with Win 95 at the school library.(Edit: The first PC of my own was a Toshiba laptop running Win 95 though. It was ancient when I got it - XP was already out then. I eff'ed it up by playing around in the system folder, lol.)

I brought an Apple II from a friend for $30 when I was in high school just because I was curious about old tech then, but it didn't have some kind of boot floppy disk and my friend couldn't find it so I threw it away.

Edit: So yeah. I never played ANY pre Win 95 PC games(with the exception of maybe the MS-DOS versions of Doom and some Build engine games, I suppose). That's why I mentioned all of that....

Anyway.... Yes, I've looked at gladiator (including the last link) and no, it's not it. Its not Castle of Dragon either.

It's alright guys. You've helped find the other game so I'm happy. Thank you all. :)

#


Cristal

Quote from: curseofnight86 on August 10, 2019, 03:43:26 AM
My step dad didn't own a computer back then. I'm certain, positive, absolutely sure it was an NES game. I don't know what a TG-16 even looks like.

PC Engine/TG-16 is a console, despite what its name suggests. That's the reason I brought it up.

Anyway, if you're absolutely confident it's a NES game, then I can't think of anything else that looks like your description which was not already mentioned by others here. Can't really help you any further, sorry. :/

curseofnight86

#163
Quote from: Cristal on August 10, 2019, 01:01:49 PM
PC Engine/TG-16 is a console, despite what its name suggests. That's the reason I brought it up.

I didn't know that, lol. I always thought it was an old PC from the 80s, heh.

Quote from: Cristal on August 10, 2019, 01:01:49 PM
Anyway, if you're absolutely confident it's a NES game, then I can't think of anything else that looks like your description which was not already mentioned by others here. Can't really help you any further, sorry. :/

It's ok. I'm sure I'll find it one day... then play for 5 mins and quit, haha.

I should have taken it the day my mom left him. She told me and my brother we could take as many games as we wanted. We only took one game: Deadly Towers - *facepalm*

@# - No dice. Looks Kool though.

cccmar

#164
Sword Master perhaps? Might be Astyanax as well, if it's the NES you're talking about. Those two are the ones I can think of with that theme/big characters. This game could also potentially be The Legend of Prince Valiant, Demon Sword or Wizards and Warriors 2 or 3.

SleepyFist

Not a game per se, but I'm looking for the name of a particular Half Life 2 or Portal 2 mod I played back in highschool and I'm wondering if anyone else remembers it.

Details:
Multiple semi-identical rooms all with a different gimmick or theme, set in some sort of hotel style hub? Iirc you need to explore the rooms to find keys to progress, it also had some freaky shit on the bottom floor rooms, a room with this loud crying/laughing sound and another where something from outside tries to chase you down among other things,
mostly I remember a lot of the rooms being loaded with a bunch of identical mannequins, some of which moved to jump scare the player.

I've been racking my brain trying to remember what this damn thing is called, checked the top tens, looked at my subscription list, even went through some of the workshop mods to no avail.

fourtwenty

hi guys, i'm looking also for a weird old beat'em up :D i forgot its name for years and i really wanna try it again untill i die

some clues:

was a tall dude, walking on a street with hands in the pockets and hitting only with fists, it was was a cartridge with magical doropie...

this is all i remember about that game, if anyone has idea pls lets me know :) thanks

SCD

#167
Quote from: SleepyFist on August 23, 2019, 06:31:39 PM
Not a game per se, but I'm looking for the name of a particular Half Life 2 or Portal 2 mod I played back in highschool and I'm wondering if anyone else remembers it.

Details:
Multiple semi-identical rooms all with a different gimmick or theme, set in some sort of hotel style hub? Iirc you need to explore the rooms to find keys to progress, it also had some freaky shit on the bottom floor rooms, a room with this loud crying/laughing sound and another where something from outside tries to chase you down among other things,
mostly I remember a lot of the rooms being loaded with a bunch of identical mannequins, some of which moved to jump scare the player.

I've been racking my brain trying to remember what this damn thing is called, checked the top tens, looked at my subscription list, even went through some of the workshop mods to no avail.

I think the game you're talking about is called The Office Prank, it's a mod for Portal 2.

Quote from: fourtwenty on September 14, 2019, 05:45:01 PM
hi guys, i'm looking also for a weird old beat'em up :D i forgot its name for years and i really wanna try it again untill i die

some clues:

was a tall dude, walking on a street with hands in the pockets and hitting only with fists, it was was a cartridge with magical doropie...

this is all i remember about that game, if anyone has idea pls lets me know :) thanks

I think the game you're talking about is called The Mafat Conspiracy, it's based on the Golgo 13 license.

fourtwenty

looool, hahaha thats true bro Imao! thanks a lot

SCD

You're welcome, I'm glad to hear that I was able to help you on this.

Dracula X

#170
This should be able to help you out: http://www.vgmuseum.com/
That's how I found a SEGA Genesis game that I've been looking for. I didn't know what the name of the game was but I still have images of it in my head.
Back to Thunder Force II hacking again.

BitVyper

Hi! I was trying to find out the name of an NES game I played some years back by looking for its translation patch.  I couldn't find it and I saw this thread, so I'm hoping someone hereabouts might be familiar with it, because I'm at my wit's end looking for the damn thing.

Here's what I can say I know about it:

- 99% certain it's an NES game.
- It's comprised of three selectable typical RPG-style scenarios that each take place on their own small overworlds with little sidequests and a single overarching goal.  There's either a time limit or a limited number of turns or something to complete them
- It's multiplayer with two players competing to complete whichever quest.  IIRC, it's both possible for players to cooperate or for them to fight with each other.
- I'm pretty sure it never received an NA release and that I played it with a patch, but it's possible that I'm wrong about this.
- It is *definitely* medieval-style fantasy

I lost the file at some point and I have never been able to find it again.  It's not the most amazing game ever or anything, it was just a neat little thing that I thought was kind of unique.  I've seen a few games from the time that are similar, but I've never been able to find THIS one.

At any rate, if anyone is familiar with it, I'd totally appreciate finding the damn thing.  I had it on another HD for years, but that HD died.

cliff

Quote from: BitVyper on February 20, 2020, 04:25:07 AM
Hi! I was trying to find out the name of an NES game I played some years back by looking for its translation patch.  I couldn't find it and I saw this thread, so I'm hoping someone hereabouts might be familiar with it, because I'm at my wit's end looking for the damn thing.

Here's what I can say I know about it:

- 99% certain it's an NES game.
- It's comprised of three selectable typical RPG-style scenarios that each take place on their own small overworlds with little sidequests and a single overarching goal.  There's either a time limit or a limited number of turns or something to complete them
- It's multiplayer with two players competing to complete whichever quest.  IIRC, it's both possible for players to cooperate or for them to fight with each other.
- I'm pretty sure it never received an NA release and that I played it with a patch, but it's possible that I'm wrong about this.
- It is *definitely* medieval-style fantasy

I lost the file at some point and I have never been able to find it again.  It's not the most amazing game ever or anything, it was just a neat little thing that I thought was kind of unique.  I've seen a few games from the time that are similar, but I've never been able to find THIS one.

At any rate, if anyone is familiar with it, I'd totally appreciate finding the damn thing.  I had it on another HD for years, but that HD died.

The 100 World Story: The Tales on a Watery Wilderness

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/85/

Chronosplit

Quote from: BitVyper on February 20, 2020, 04:25:07 AM
Hi! I was trying to find out the name of an NES game I played some years back by looking for its translation patch.  I couldn't find it and I saw this thread, so I'm hoping someone hereabouts might be familiar with it, because I'm at my wit's end looking for the damn thing.

Here's what I can say I know about it:

- 99% certain it's an NES game.
- It's comprised of three selectable typical RPG-style scenarios that each take place on their own small overworlds with little sidequests and a single overarching goal.  There's either a time limit or a limited number of turns or something to complete them
- It's multiplayer with two players competing to complete whichever quest.  IIRC, it's both possible for players to cooperate or for them to fight with each other.
- I'm pretty sure it never received an NA release and that I played it with a patch, but it's possible that I'm wrong about this.
- It is *definitely* medieval-style fantasy

I lost the file at some point and I have never been able to find it again.  It's not the most amazing game ever or anything, it was just a neat little thing that I thought was kind of unique.  I've seen a few games from the time that are similar, but I've never been able to find THIS one.

At any rate, if anyone is familiar with it, I'd totally appreciate finding the damn thing.  I had it on another HD for years, but that HD died.
I think you might be looking for 100 World Story: https://www.romhacking.net/translations/85/

SLXD249

I got a game that I've been trying to track down since childhood. It's an old Mame style arcade game. It's a lot like golden axe where it's a full directional beat em up with fantasy characters, and every time you beat a boss, the paths branch more and more. I ran out of quarters before I reached the end. I do know that if you die while fighting a boss, their image appears on the continue screen and taunts you until the timer runs out or you insert a coin. I would really like to play this game again as it's one of the few arcade games I would actually spend all my money on, but I just can't remember the name.

BitVyper

Quote from: Chronosplit on February 21, 2020, 08:58:46 PM
I think you might be looking for 100 World Story: https://www.romhacking.net/translations/85/

Holy cats, you got it in one.  Thank you very much, hero.

Cristal

Quote from: SLXD249 on February 21, 2020, 09:47:45 PM
I got a game that I've been trying to track down since childhood. It's an old Mame style arcade game. It's a lot like golden axe where it's a full directional beat em up with fantasy characters, and every time you beat a boss, the paths branch more and more. I ran out of quarters before I reached the end. I do know that if you die while fighting a boss, their image appears on the continue screen and taunts you until the timer runs out or you insert a coin. I would really like to play this game again as it's one of the few arcade games I would actually spend all my money on, but I just can't remember the name.

Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom.

SLXD249

Thank you so very much! Another mystey of my life has been laid to rest!

BitVyper

#178
Quote from: SLXD249 on February 21, 2020, 09:47:45 PM
I got a game that I've been trying to track down since childhood. It's an old Mame style arcade game. It's a lot like golden axe where it's a full directional beat em up with fantasy characters, and every time you beat a boss, the paths branch more and more. I ran out of quarters before I reached the end. I do know that if you die while fighting a boss, their image appears on the continue screen and taunts you until the timer runs out or you insert a coin. I would really like to play this game again as it's one of the few arcade games I would actually spend all my money on, but I just can't remember the name.

It sounds like the two Dungeons and Dragons arcade games.  Tower of Doom and Shadow Over Mystara.  They're available on Steam together as Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara, or you can just use MAME

(okay in my defense this post was stuck in limbo all day)

SLXD249

That's awesome! I ask for a retro release and I get a modern!