News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Swapping tiles in EarthBound  (Read 1090 times)

CRefice

• View Profile
Swapping tiles in EarthBound
« on: July 03, 2015, 10:10:04 am »
So I started my EarthBound Italian translation project, referring to the Starmen.net forum for help. Everything is going great so far, but there is one thing that I just can't seem to deal with  :banghead: and I tought someone here would help me, as it doesn't look impossible to do.
Okay, so: this is the normal, unmodified,battle menu:

Looks pretty normal. Except that, in modifying the menu image files, I found out that the tiles for the second "P" in "PP" get taken from the two tiles for the "P" in "HP".
So if I try to edit the image files, translating "HP" to "PV"  I end up with this:

I edited the image for clarity. What I'm trying to achieve, instead, is this:

Is there a way to do that? Any help is greatly appreciated :)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Re: Swapping tiles in EarthBound
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 10:43:30 am »
There *SHOULD* be a way to hard hack this via HEX editing how and which sprite is being printed out at that moment.
As to how... I don't know. :P

Perhaps you could try downloading Snes9x Debugger and enter the tile/palette viewer.
Hopefully, you could grab the X/Y position of the "V" tile and also the one for the second "P".

After that it would be a matter of replacing the tile ID for the "P" to "V".

It's all theoretical, I have done so in NES ROMs but I haven't tried yet for SNES ROMs.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 10:49:39 am »
Possibly the window is a tilemap?
Easiest way to find out would be to make a ZSNES or SNES9x savestate, then open in the savestate-viewer program VSNES (on the site).
Click Scene Viewer then you can click on the tile to get the "tile index". It will be a a 2-byte (4 digit) value.
Get the tile indexes for the two tiles in HP.
You're going to want to do a wildcard search on the ROM on the lower (second) byte of those values. Like if the tile index was 0008 and 0009, you'd want to search hex for 08 ** 09. That's because some of the bits in the higher byte are used for other stuff and that will throw off a direct search.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

CRefice

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 12:29:17 pm »
Okay so I found the specific tiles in vSnes. For reference, their tile indexes seem to be 9 for the upper tile and 25 for the lower tile.
...Now what?  :huh:

July 03, 2015, 03:47:27 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I searched again in BizHawk, and I found that the two tiles for "H" have a Tile # of C080 and C180 (Top and bottom), while the "P" tiles are C090 and C190. But i don't really know what I'm supposed to do now... what do I search for?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 03:47:27 pm by CRefice »