News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Ganbare Goemon 2 (SNES)  (Read 117368 times)

lastdual

• View Profile
Re: Ganbare Goemon 2 (SNES)
« Reply #160 on: March 26, 2019, 09:45:12 am »
What, you think that after all these years I've suddenly abandoned ship? And right at the end, with but a few lines of text remaining?

I may be slower than a sloth, but hey, I'm steady too.

;D Definitely appreciate the work you've put into this. It's got to feel good to finally see it all coming to fruition!

This is one of those titles I remember seeing blurbs about in gaming mags back in the 90's. Alongside the likes of Seiken Densetsu 3 and Tales of Phantasia, the young me figured I'd never get to play these games in English. I'll be raising a glass to you all when this release hits!

Zanemato

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 29, 2019, 04:08:39 am »
Oh my ... I am dreaming, one of my most beloved game on Snes, and the 1st one I played on emulation more than 20 years ago, will finally be fully translated into English !!!!!

I give you my dearest respect, I can't wait to see this patch out on Romhacking

You deserve lots of praise and love from all of us

Thank you so very much !

Shade Aurion

• Submission Reviewer
  • Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #162 on: March 30, 2019, 05:08:00 am »
Dude.. this looks great! I can't wait for the full release!

Killrig

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 06, 2019, 04:01:47 pm »
I registered just to show my support! I've been wanting to experience this game (proper) for decades. Keep up the good work!  :woot!:

Tonindo

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 07, 2019, 10:33:01 am »
My first post. Just here to show my support!

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #165 on: April 10, 2019, 03:27:21 pm »
WOW! The recent screenshots are amazing, I'm glad this is almost done, can't wait to play it. :laugh:

snackycactus

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 26, 2019, 08:41:54 am »
Man, I'm so excited for this!!! It's an absolute crime that all but one the Super Famicom Goemon games can be enjoyed by english speakers– it's so awesome that you're tackling this.

Thank yo sou much for all your hard work.

vhr2121

• Vincent Hernandez! Cool Story, Bro!
    • View Profile
    • Vincent's Hidden Gaming Place
« Reply #167 on: April 27, 2019, 07:15:58 am »
So, going with the flow here, I'm also going to praise this. Because I am SO looking forward to its completion. Keep up the good work!

alien nose job

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 02, 2019, 05:29:56 am »
Wow, Incredible !  :o

I never thought you would resume work on this, thanks a lot. :thumbsup:

The graphics work looks incredible and I'm sure the translation will be great.
cheers !

rydog11

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 02, 2019, 10:10:09 pm »
Super can't wait for this!

dimmsau

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 03, 2019, 08:27:12 pm »
Just fantastic news. Consider me 'IN'!

DelilahTw

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 18, 2019, 11:25:49 am »
I can't wait for this to come out... it's been like 25 years or something like that waiting for this to happen... English is not my first language but all the games should be available at least in two languages being one English because even if English is not your first language at least is a language that the majority of the planet can read and understand.

snesbuddy

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 20, 2019, 04:33:47 am »
Hi everybody,I'm currently playing Mystical Ninja 1 on snes with my daughter, she's having as much fun as I was when I first played it in 1994 (in Europe it was released 3 years later than in America)

When I discovered that someone was working on translating the second chapter into English, I decided to join the forum to follow and support this project as much as possible, all my admiration goes to Avicalendriya for his commitment and perseverance in carrying out this opera, you're doing a great work pal, keep it up  :thumbsup: :beer:

Avicalendriya

• View Profile
    • Avi Morgan dot com
« Reply #173 on: December 18, 2019, 04:30:00 pm »
Hello there, stopping by for a long overdue status update. Here's the good, the bad, and the ugly on Goemon.

The Good:

Script has been rewritten and finalized, and all graphics have been given a major upgrade!

The Bad:

The programmer and I ran into creative differences and have gone our separate ways. I would love for an interested hacker to take my finished work and put it into the game. Please!

The Ugly:

My script! It's thicklugged and bug-eyed!

Actually the real ugly here is that I have sat up late for countless nights, fighting hard to stay awake, devouring chocolate, listening to loud music, keeping the room cold, ignoring my body's desperate please for rest, only to begin nodding off, again and again, every time I stop typing and start reading. I have pushed myself incredibly hard to finish this project and many days have been pure hell due to the extreme and ongoing sleep deprivation that my sacrifice has resulted in. So it would be ugly indeed if this was all for nothing. But I'm sure a talented hacker can transmute this ugliness into beauty.

SteevL

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 18, 2019, 06:20:21 pm »
Well, that's a bittersweet update. I hope you can find someone else to hack your work into the game! I'm really looking forward to it.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 18, 2019, 09:34:27 pm »
Isn't there anything that can be done to patch you and the hacker up? The reason why the Goemon SNES games have not been translated before is not because there wasn't anyone that would translate the text, but because the games are a fucking nightmare to actually hack.

If you don't have a hacker, well, you got nothing really. It's like a script without a movie.

If none of the experienced hackers even started or finished their own Goemon hacks, then I really don't see this going forward unless you go back to the hacker you were already with (DDS I believe?). It is my understanding that they were just waiting for your script/graphics (images look amazing, great font) to insert it into the game?

lastdual

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 19, 2019, 09:24:28 am »
Edit: It seems the conflict was over different approaches/collaborations/liberties taken regarding the translation effort. It's just sad that there wasn't room for a compromise. I know you've put a ton of effort into this project and wish both you and DDS the best.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 12:58:50 pm by lastdual »

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 19, 2019, 11:18:43 am »
Those screenshots look gorgeous, and I'm very happy to know you're still working on this! Indeed, it would be a shame if all this progress were to get wasted. So you really need to handle the "project" side of it better.

The only way you could realistically expect to reach a feature-complete v1.0 release is if you were able to handle every step of the process yourself and triple-check for bugs all the way through. But since you're depending on other people on the hacking side, you're better off splitting up the work into separate milestones.

Was your split with DDS amicable? If it was, my advice is to let them handle whatever they were willing to do for you, their way. Only after you've reached this milestone (and maybe make it public, to let people report bugs for you), get some help for whatever changes or additional features you're planning on doing.

Either way, you need to be more specific about the hacking help you still need. Better yet, start by explaining your current process and toolset (any custom tools involved?), and then explain in detail what are the remaining roadblocks you have on the hacking side (is it related to script insertion? Graphics? Compression? etc.). This will attract the attenttion of people in the community who might've encountered specific problems similar to those and might be able to share a solution.

blizzz

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 19, 2019, 12:31:27 pm »
DDS (the programmer who was working on this game) posted some more info on Twitter.
Thread 1: https://twitter.com/DDSTranslation/status/1207694429265498113
Trhead 2: https://twitter.com/DDSTranslation/status/1207697109539004416

tl;dr Avicalendriya and DDS ran into creative differences after the latest script changes, for which DDS takes the blame on himself. The bad news: DDS replaced the script with a version from Tom (@RetroTranslator), which means that the chances for a release of Avi's work are very slim, unless some other programmer picks it up.
The good news: We will get a translated version of Goemon 2 soon and DDS & Tom have already completed Goemon 3! Goemon 4 is 80% translated and Ebisumaru is also getting a translation that's almost done. Goemon 3 is a great surprise, since that one is the hardest to play without Japanese knowledge.

EvilJagaGenius

• View Profile
    • The Jaga's Nest
« Reply #179 on: December 19, 2019, 04:17:32 pm »
The reason why the Goemon SNES games have not been translated before is not because there wasn't anyone that would translate the text, but because the games are a fucking nightmare to actually hack.

I know two of the Goemon SNES games got ported to the GBA in Japan.  Would hacking the GBA ports be any easier than the SNES games?  It wouldn't be quite the same, but maybe it'd be an option.