News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Ganbare Goemon 2 (SNES)  (Read 101502 times)

PunkFrog

• View Profile
Re: Ganbare Goemon 2 (SNES)
« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2016, 10:20:10 pm »
I pray for your success should you decide to continue working on Goemon 2, 3, and 4. I read something about these games being "cursed". Is that true? If so, then why?

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2016, 11:18:55 pm »
I pray for your success should you decide to continue working on Goemon 2, 3, and 4. I read something about these games being "cursed". Is that true? If so, then why?

They're "cursed" in the same manner as Tokimeki Memorial for the SNES/SFC is also cursed: lots of people want to translate these games and lots of attempts have been made, but despite there being so many attempts, no one has ever really finished.

A lot of that has to do with technical issues, such as the vertical text in this game, compression, etc. as well as cultural issues.

Rai

• View Profile
    • The official webpage for my Super Robot Taisen Alpha translation project.
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2016, 11:29:35 pm »
I wouldn't the same games are cursed. The main reason the SFC Goemon games are untranslated is because of the compression.

The SFC Goemon games don't use simple compression either. As I've stated before, they use a combination of LZ and RLE compression.

Writing a decompressor and recompressor would require knowledge of programming.

Overall, I don't think the games are cursed. But they require a lot of time and an experienced hacker/programmer.

FlashPV

• View Profile
    • Terminus Traductions
« Reply #83 on: August 22, 2016, 03:16:32 am »
The graphics compression uses a combination of LZ and RLE. Bytes between 0x80 and 0x9F will be followed by uncompressed bytes.
Someone took a look at TMNT 4 for me and the compression  seems to be the same. Try Proton's tools in game type 1 I'm pretty sure you'll have a good surprise.

PunkFrog

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 22, 2016, 06:17:55 am »
Who's working on it currently?

I would also like to repeat my earlier suggestion: vertical signs that appear in towns and signposts and whatnot should be left alone. Konami didn't translate those in the N64 releases either. My view is that if it's not story, gameplay, or NPC related dialogue, it's fine as it is. Just my 2 cents anyway.

August 22, 2016, 06:19:53 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I do have a lot of time on my hands these days, but not much expertise in programming. I'm willing to learn how though, if it means this project's completion. Yes, that's how much of a diehard fanboy I am of this series. :D

Rai

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2016, 01:05:45 pm »
Someone took a look at TMNT 4 for me and the compression  seems to be the same. Try Proton's tools in game type 1 I'm pretty sure you'll have a good surprise.
TMNT4 and Goemon 3 are both by Konami, so they seem to use similar compression. However, there is more to the compression than just LZ and RLE.

I took another look at the decompression routine and started to work on a new decompressor in C++.

The decompressor is almost finished; I just need to add support for one more layer of compression.

After that I'll code a new recompressor.

Once the decompressor/recompressor combo is finished; that should solve all the graphical compression problems.

shadow501

• Pro Hex Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2016, 02:07:52 pm »
TMNT4 and Goemon 3 are both by Konami, so they seem to use similar compression. However, there is more to the compression than just LZ and RLE.

I took another look at the decompression routine and started to work on a new decompressor in C++.

The decompressor is almost finished; I just need to add support for one more layer of compression.

Once the decompressor/recompressor combo is finished; that should solve all the graphical compression problems.

Sounds good ! :D

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 23, 2016, 02:32:19 am »

You're a hero man.

PunkFrog

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2016, 03:35:08 am »

You truly are a hero.

What about the other two Goemon games? Is anyone still working on those?

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 23, 2016, 02:40:37 pm »
If that tool does what he says it does, then I guess the other Goemon games would be worked on much faster.

Rai

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 23, 2016, 03:17:08 pm »
You truly are a hero.

What about the other two Goemon games? Is anyone still working on those?
If I recall correctly, Gideon Zhi was working on Goemon 2.

Good news; I've perfected my decompressor. It can now dump the graphics without any glitches.

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #91 on: August 23, 2016, 03:43:48 pm »
If I recall correctly, Gideon Zhi was working on Goemon 2.

Good news; I've perfected my decompressor. It can now dump the graphics without any glitches.

I think ddstranslations is now working on it, not 100% sure though. Oh well, when it's done, it's done. The progress on the NES/SNES Japan-only games is amazing anyway.  :)

Rai

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 23, 2016, 09:12:54 pm »
I think ddstranslations is now working on it, not 100% sure though. Oh well, when it's done, it's done. The progress on the NES/SNES Japan-only games is amazing anyway.  :)
That's great that ddstranslations is working on Goemon 2.

I've been making a lot of progress on 3 lately though. I've found the text and it's dictionary compressed. Some of the text is uncompressed, but some of the text is compressed into two bytes dictionary entries.

Before the text can be dumped, I'll need to make a list of pointer locations.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 09:20:01 pm by Rai »

PunkFrog

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 23, 2016, 10:50:20 pm »
Is there a progress/project page for Goemon 2, 3, or 4?

I'm excited to see that 2 and 3 are progressing along. I've been dying to play these in English.

Edit: I don't see anything from ddstranslation about Goemon 2.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 12:47:36 am by PunkFrog »

FlashPV

• View Profile
    • Terminus Traductions
« Reply #94 on: August 24, 2016, 04:28:59 am »
I'll be happy to design the title screens for theses games if you want.

Lestat

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 24, 2016, 09:45:53 am »
Well done Rai !

ddstranslation

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 24, 2016, 12:40:10 pm »
I offered to help out Avicalendriya since it seemed like he had no spare time to work on it, and he told me to email him back. But I haven't heard from him since. So far, I have not done any work on the game, as I was only intending to help him carry out his work to finish the project.

Avicalendriya

• View Profile
    • Avi Morgan dot com
« Reply #97 on: August 24, 2016, 01:56:00 pm »

« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 04:17:30 pm by Avicalendriya »

Avicalendriya

• View Profile
    • Avi Morgan dot com
« Reply #98 on: December 16, 2016, 04:18:14 pm »

More mockup graphics. The "all seeing eye" might be a little vague for the Fortune Teller but I had fun drawing it...

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #99 on: December 16, 2016, 04:50:48 pm »
I think a fortune cookie would be pretty hilarious instead.