News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Ganbare Goemon 2 (SNES)  (Read 99297 times)

John Enigma

• View Profile
Re: Ganbare Goemon 2 (SNES)
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2016, 02:08:29 pm »
So...

In other words, this project is cancelled. That's what I understand from all of this.

Avicalendriya

• View Profile
    • Avi Morgan dot com
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2016, 02:39:56 pm »
So...

In other words, this project is cancelled. That's what I understand from all of this.

No...

I had already announced the project's cancellation. Today's post defined what The Curse is and explained how to avoid it.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2016, 02:58:53 pm »
PS: The curse doesn't extend to China, or so it seems.

Hacking Japanese games into Chinese is generally much easier prospect than hacking them into English. Far, far, far less low-level work (interfaces, font width hacks, etc) need to be done. Given that proportionality is much more important in Roman tongues and that our character sets are based on sounds instead of syllables generally makes stuff like J->E a dramatically more complex problem than something like J->C. Neither is exactly a simple task, but it's sort of like the difference between quadratics and multivariate calculus.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2016, 03:19:06 pm »
No...

I had already announced the project's cancellation. Today's post defined what The Curse is and explained how to avoid it.
Thank you for explaining to me The Curse. But my biggest question is, and this is a question that I tried to make last week, who's going to continue the project then?

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2016, 03:21:57 pm »
I will, one way or the other! Investigating multiple avenues of approach for this, but I'm still waiting on details/materials from Avi :)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2016, 03:29:31 pm »
as well as an official one for the PS2,
That's pretty well known but that one didn't happen just because SCEA didn't think it was worth releasing.
(I've heard it's one of the worse Goemon games but a shame SCEA didn't let the market decide if it should've been released. :( )
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2016, 04:07:16 pm »
Hacking Japanese games into Chinese is generally much easier prospect than hacking them into English. Far, far, far less low-level work (interfaces, font width hacks, etc) need to be done. Given that proportionality is much more important in Roman tongues and that our character sets are based on sounds instead of syllables generally makes stuff like J->E a dramatically more complex problem than something like J->C. Neither is exactly a simple task, but it's sort of like the difference between quadratics and multivariate calculus.

I would agree with you normally about this for about 90% of anything from the PS1 era (with either Shift-JIS or Unicode) and beyond and the SNES era JRPGs which already have a few hundred joyo kanji.
But the Ganbare Goemon games use a 8x16 hiragana-only font (plus only the frequently used katakana, even the dakuten are stored in separate tiles) which has to load in its entirety in the VRAM and needs its compression figured out. I think for this one, the Chinese would have needed to do actually more than the hacking required for a latin alphabet language hack.

That's pretty well known but that one didn't happen just because SCEA didn't think it was worth releasing.
(I've heard it's one of the worse Goemon games but a shame SCEA didn't let the market decide if it should've been released. :( )

Actually Konami did commission better 3D models for the US release.
It's a bit of a budget game that tries to be a platformer/Zelda OoT hybrid, and has tons of cut content, but is still pretty serviceable and certainly better than the first N64 game. Its main fault is the graphics.
SCEA vetoed lots of other niche games (that's why Chulip got delayed from 2004 to 2007 for example, among others).

If you're looking for the worse Goemon games, there's some of the PS1 ones and a particularly bad insanity-inducing GBA game.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 04:15:15 pm by GHANMI »

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2016, 03:03:31 pm »
I will, one way or the other! Investigating multiple avenues of approach for this, but I'm still waiting on details/materials from Avi :)

I can't hack, but the offer I made back on page 2 to help designing and drawing translated graphics still stands if you need it.

Avicalendriya

• View Profile
    • Avi Morgan dot com
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2016, 03:35:19 pm »
Thank you for your offer azulo, however the work on the graphics is more or less finished at this point. The Title and Game Over screens are in need of much improvement, but I'll get to those final two items soon enough, and here's why:

DDS has stepped up and offered assistance, which is extremely kind. Since I have completed translating and localizing the many graphics and fonts that appear throughout the game, the project is essentially in DDS's court now.

Gideon, you've already got more than enough on your plate, so I hope you see this as a chance to lighten your load and gain additional time and energy.

PunkFrog

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2016, 07:33:55 pm »
This thread is really playing with my heart. I want to play this game in English so bad.

I'm just curious, since I'm not a ROM hacker (yet): is this game harder to translate/hack than most other SNES games? If so, then what makes it harder in particular?

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2016, 05:48:39 pm »
Thank you for your offer azulo, however the work on the graphics is more or less finished at this point. The Title and Game Over screens are in need of much improvement, but I'll get to those final two items soon enough, and here's why:

DDS has stepped up and offered assistance, which is extremely kind. Since I have completed translating and localizing the many graphics and fonts that appear throughout the game, the project is essentially in DDS's court now.

Gideon, you've already got more than enough on your plate, so I hope you see this as a chance to lighten your load and gain additional time and energy.

As I said before: a shame you chose to quit, but yes, as others have said, if you don't plan to finish, then release everything that you've done publicly so that someone else (or perhaps a team) can finish this work. Goemon 2 is a wonderful Super Famicom game and really deserves a full fan translation. If you cannot do it for whatever reason, then let others take up the mantle.

PunkFrog

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2016, 01:39:44 am »
If the game isn't already done by the time I learn how to hack, I'll be happy to step in and help if need be. This game deserves to be played by more people.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2016, 01:21:09 pm »
I know this isn't Goemon related, but since you brought it up when you talked about this project's cancellation and I forgot wheter or not I asked:

How far along was your progress of Romancing SaGa 2 + 3 when you chose to stop working on them? Although one of the translations of RS3 on this site's complete enough to play through, neither of the RS2 translations went further than Menu/Monster names and dialogue up to some cave at the beginning.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

PunkFrog

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2016, 02:54:31 am »
I don't know if anyone has seen this, but this guy seems to be working on a translation of Goemon 2, 3, and 4. All he needs is a translator at this stage. Does anybody know who he is or how to get in contact?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLOTV8u4O8

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2016, 10:58:45 am »
So he started working on a translation without first getting a translator? Good luck with that.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2016, 11:00:56 am »
That's actually pretty normal.
Before they invest time in translating the text, translators might want to see if someone is capable of the technical work.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Rai

• View Profile
    • The official webpage for my Super Robot Taisen Alpha translation project.
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2016, 02:22:03 pm »
I don't know if anyone has seen this, but this guy seems to be working on a translation of Goemon 2, 3, and 4. All he needs is a translator at this stage. Does anybody know who he is or how to get in contact?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLOTV8u4O8
That's actually my former youtube account. I actually got pretty far with making a decompressor and recompressor for the SNES Goemon games.

However, the decompressor and recompressor still have glitches.

In that clip, I used a trick where I expanded the rom and loaded an uncompressed font into VRAM. However, making a true decompressor and recompressor will make the hacking process easier.

The big problem with Goemon 3 is the pointers. They're scattered and not in any particular order.

I might take another look at the Goemon games though.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 02:38:21 pm by Rai »

FlashPV

• View Profile
    • Terminus Traductions
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2016, 03:45:31 pm »
Proton made theses programs  which work with many Snes games. Maybe they'll work with the Goemon games.
http://www.romhacking.net/?page=utilities&category=&platform=&game=&author=&os=&level=&perpage=20&title=Konami+Snes&desc=&utilsearch=Go

PunkFrog

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2016, 05:38:41 pm »
That's actually my former youtube account. I actually got pretty far with making a decompressor and recompressor for the SNES Goemon games.

However, the decompressor and recompressor still have glitches.

In that clip, I used a trick where I expanded the rom and loaded an uncompressed font into VRAM. However, making a true decompressor and recompressor will make the hacking process easier.

The big problem with Goemon 3 is the pointers. They're scattered and not in any particular order.

I might take another look at the Goemon games though.

Are you still planning to release translations of them?

August 21, 2016, 05:45:46 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
And if it helps, translating signs on shops or banners in the games probably isn't necessary. All 4 of the localized Goemon games left them in Japanese, and it didn't hurt the experience. If anything, it actually added to it. The sheer foreignness is part the Ganbare Goemon series' appeal.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 05:45:46 pm by PunkFrog »

Rai

• View Profile
    • The official webpage for my Super Robot Taisen Alpha translation project.
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2016, 10:08:02 pm »
Are you still planning to release translations of them?

August 21, 2016, 05:45:46 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
And if it helps, translating signs on shops or banners in the games probably isn't necessary. All 4 of the localized Goemon games left them in Japanese, and it didn't hurt the experience. If anything, it actually added to it. The sheer foreignness is part the Ganbare Goemon series' appeal.
Perhaps I'll continue the projects when I perfect the compression tools.

Not only are the graphics for Goemon 3 compressed; but the text is also uses compression.

I did take another look at the graphics decompression and I think I mostly understand how it works.

The graphics compression uses a combination of LZ and RLE. Bytes between 0x80 and 0x9F will be followed by uncompressed bytes.